mtbr member
    Jul 2016

spitfire bushings

Hello all,

I have just built a 2010 spitfire and all went well minus the fact I noticed slop in the bushing located directly above the crank. I am aware that the bushings are notorious for wear so this is not a complaint but simply a question. Can I ride for now until I can find and install new bushings? I'm so exited to see what this thing can do but I do not want to cause more damage and destroy what I have worked so hard to build. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spitfire bushings-banshee.jpg  

mtbr member
    Where it's the first time you've dealt with it, I would take it apart and replace bushings, grease, and check your axles for wear. It could be the axles causing the vertical play too.

That being said, once you're familiar with it, change them when you're comfortable. I find the main pivot in mine gets loose first, but I don't change at the first sign of a wiggle, I usually wait until it gets sloppy or starts creaking, though I'm due for a new main pivot axle. I will change them if it's a little loose and I'm going to ride in 'bigger' areas. Lots of rocks and drops, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thank you. I did ride it for the first time yesterday and it felt great by the way! I was shocked how well the bike climbs. The downhill was even better I felt super stable and confident over roots and rocks. I am supposed to be riding a trail this Thursday with a group and the trail has lots of 3-6' drops and I have a hard time resisting! The slop is minor but until I get the bushings I will continue to test the bike! Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    No problem, you'll get a feel for what's an imminently wrecked bushing and not. I am on par for 3 this year, about 150-200 miles between change, depending on terrain.

I honestly feel that shots through the bash guard on my chain guide are the cause of most of my main pivot wear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery