mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Spitfire in the bike park?

I have a V2 spitfire, but I'm thinking of selling the frame to get the rune. I love it, but I think I would really appreciate the extra 20mm of rear travel for the 2-3 bike park days I do each year, plus the extra margin of error through the rough stuff. Does anyone here take their spitfire to ride the lifts? How do you like it?
    I have an extra wheelset that I am going to put DH tires on, and the geometry is pretty good for going down. I can only afford 1 bike, so I want one that will be fun everywhere. Has anyone else gone through this dilemma?

mtbr member
    Check with Keith...he did it before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride my Spitfire V2 at Trestle @ Winter Park, aiming for 6-7 times this year, but I ride only the easier stuff which is in-line with my skills and the type of trails I prefer; rooty, rocky, flowy, etc, no big jumps or drops. Bike is great there, but I can see how a Rune would be even better etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The rune is better suited to the odd bike park day than the spitfire, as it is stronger and designed to take bigger hits (plus more travel and slacker head angle help), but the spitfire can cope with the odd bike par day as long as the trails you are riding aren't full on hard hitting DH trails.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I think much depends on how gnarly the Parktrails you ride are. I know some Homespot-Trails that are much rougher than the average "Freeride-Trail" in most Parks. I ride them on the Spitfire, so it can be alright.
    But if you are in the boat for "One Bike for All" the Rune might be the better Choice in the long term ...

mtbr member
    I've ridden my spitfire at stevens pass and a bunch of other pretty gnarly dh shuttles.

From my experience it can handle it. But it's really hard on the bike. and i wouldnt recommend more than a day or two doing park laps. Unless you like replacing DU bushings and building new wheels...

I spent a week at sun peaks in july with my buddy who was on his rune ( I was on my DH bike). We road fast and hard all weekend long, sending big jumps, and going fast down steep tech. The rune ate it up and he had no issues after riding hard doing park laps (hes a big guy too) for 4 days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to stick with the spitfire and get a pair of dedicated dh wheels. It is too much fun on regular trails to give up. I pretty much stay on the ground, so the spitfire should be a good fit for medium speed DH runs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think that's the way to go, you're riding describes what I do at Trestle / Winter Park. I need to look at a park wheelset too as faster rolling trail tires are a bit too much of a compromise there... maybe next season...

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to stick with the spitfire and get a pair of dedicated dh wheels. It is too much fun on regular trails to give up. I pretty much stay on the ground, so the spitfire should be a good fit for medium speed DH runs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode my Spitfire V2 at Vail and Trestle for 6 days in July. It was perfect (for me and my skill level) to tame all the blues and blue/blacks. I survived a few blacks, but the rider was all that was holding me back. The moderate stuff was a ball on the Spitty. Back here in Austin, Texas, the Spitfire is a great trail bike for the constant up/down rides we have.

Cannonball!
    In my experience with the v1, Whistler was a great way to get to know the Banshee warranty department!