mtbr member

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits

I saw tonight that RWC has a needle bearing conversion kit for shock eyes. I'm wondering if the KS suspension will benefit from this. Cycling my rune, I see a small amount of rotation on the lower eye but not as bad as say a Giant...

What do you guys think? It think the idea is a good one but is it worth it for the Banshee world?
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large NS Essentric ALU
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Mr. Knowitall
    Maybe on the rear eye but not out front.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Well... I ordered it up! Only time will tell.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've used them on my RIP9. Not world altering but it was noticeable.

I'd be curious to hear how it feels on the a Banshee. There's not much bushing rotation.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's certainly not as bad as other linkage designs. Well see. I just like tinkering a lot so this will just be another experience...
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member

Alright I got it installed. I think the big difference is the initial friction to activate the shock is much more sensitive now. DU bushing had a tiny bit of friction.

In regards to whether you should get it for your banshee? I would say no unless you like tinkering like I do and have $40 lying around for the purchase. It's a very small difference but I know now that I don't have the bushing friction to think about when there's that tiny bit of stiction up at top.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Update. I was questioning my install. The kit comes with different inner race width to accomodate manufacturing tolerance. The instructions say to find the one that allows the bearings to spin freely. I went to the another size and now it's crazy how my suspension is acting. Friction is gone so any small amount of movement gets the shock active.

Bump compliance is on another level. Again would you be ok without it? Of course... But I'm very impressed with how my suspension is acting.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice you are going to cost me money! lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock_down View Post
    Nice you are going to cost me money! lol
    Haha plus one! Dangit just thought that my Spitfire was completely done.

mtbr member
    Some of my riding buddies are using me as a guinea pig to see how it lasts. I will report back after the raining season and into the summer when I decide to pull it off and regrease. the concept is genius, we'll see how it holds up with the abuse I put it through.

I'm curious to know what bottom out does to the bearings.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Big Test Icycles
    I installed them on my Firebird and had them for several rainy seasons. Each spring I would just clean it out and add a little Chris King ring grease. They run super smooth. I'm thinking about them for my Spitfire now.

mtbr member
    Good to know it's fairly low maintenance!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

I fix choppers
    Do you have the model/order number? Also is it the same one regardless of shock as I have a DB Air?
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    For the lower shock eye, you will need the 39.88mm size. model number NBKRWC3988

From the forum talk about the needle bearing, it sounds like DB products need a modification to the shock eyelet.

It's probably best to contact those guys via e-mail.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Do you have the model/order number? Also is it the same one regardless of shock as I have a DB Air?
    cane creek shocks need to be sent in and bored out to fit these

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    For the lower shock eye, you will need the 39.88mm size. model number NBKRWC3988

From the forum talk about the needle bearing, it sounds like DB products need a modification to the shock eyelet.

Mine will be here on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2016 Banshee AMP
    2014 Banshee Rune V2

mtbr member
    Nice! Hope you enjoy it! I've actually turned my lsc and hsc up one click just because I no longer really have the initial stiction. Active active!!!!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice! Hope you enjoy it! I've actually turned my lsc and hsc up one click just because I no longer really have the initial stiction. Active active!!!!
    I am going to put it on by db air cs. Hope it fits? Oh by the way Junerson i have been riding a couple of times bike is really firm. I also am only running one 10mm spacer on stem and have a 65mm stem coming it turns a little to quick for me either that or i am just not use to it yet. Zero problems with shifting or chain drop and going from a 32t to a 34t chain ring.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2016 Banshee AMP
    2014 Banshee Rune V2

mtbr member
    The db air from my understanding requires you to send it to them so they can modify the eyelet...

Stem spacer and length will certainly be a personal thing. I am using a 65 mm stem but I have prob 30 mm of spacers under the stem. You'll find your sweet spot soon. Glad your enjoying the bike!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Nucking Futs
    This got my attention quickly. Decided it is time for a v3 Spitty and the needle bearing is a very nice mod from the go, thanks for sharing! I've emailed them and the inlines have the required 15 mm hole, the db air's don't and need to be modified. For the inlines you need NBKRWC3988

Without having ever ridden one I can't see how this won't work any better for a frame where the damper won't move as much. It's the initial force needed to overcome the sticktion that you want to minimize, when there is the least amount of pressure on the swing arm. From that point, all the way to bottoming out, the forces only increase rapidly overcoming the DU bushing sticktion easily.

But don't forget it's the rebound of the shock that's all the swingarm has to push it back, now dealing with the full sticktion from the bushings on it's own. This will deffinitly be noticable and makes the whole suspension ready for another hit allot faster.

Just theoraticly gueswork, but I really like tinckering myself and am super stoked to be back in biking after a 3 year downtime due to unkown knee problems. The new frame should be here in less then 2 weeks so keep an eye out for some delicious pictures.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Right on man! Yeah I am heavily needing to adjust my settings on my shock now. I think I will need another volume spacer and one click more on hsc. It's crazy how active my suspension is.

The recent article on pinkbike about the new rockshox shocks also talk about a bearing at the shock eye. I think this concept is about to take off. For a good reason!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post

Just theoraticly gueswork, but I really like tinckering myself and am super stoked to be back in biking after a 3 year downtime due to unkown knee problems. The new frame should be here in less then 2 weeks so keep an eye out for some delicious pictures.
    I also have somewhat a weak knee. Going to try an oval ring. Should get it in this Friday for the weekend ride. Wrong thread for it but I'll try to share my thoughts on one.

I'm more the type who goes up because I want to come down so anything to make the grueling climb easier I'm all on board.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The db air from my understanding requires you to send it to them so they can modify the eyelet...

Stem spacer and length will certainly be a personal thing. I am using a 65 mm stem but I have prob 30 mm of spacers under the stem. You'll find your sweet spot soon. Glad your enjoying the bike!
    Ohhh what do we have here! My brother has a friend that is a Machinist cost to bore it out $0.00 and Junersun I completely agree it makes a difference! I feel the same as you I have not even rode it yet but I just sat on it and adjustments will definitely be made now! Oh I did both ends as you can see. I am going to stop reading youre post now you are costing me Money lol hey funny thing RWC is my initials backwards lol
    65mm Atlas stem installed also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_160434.jpg  

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_162826.jpg  

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_162757.jpg  

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_160447.jpg  

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_160508.jpg  

Shock eye needle bearing conversion kits-20160408_161456.jpg  

mtbr member
    I love raceface products machining. It looks sharp. Be careful with how sensitive your shock is now. Every ride I've adjusted my compression setting cuz it's just cycling through my travel really well now. I don't have a db but I've added two clicks on compression both high and low now to compensate!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Btw oval chainring is weird... I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet...
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Btw oval chainring is weird... I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet...
    I originally thought of trying one since I had not ridden in years but went with the standard.

mtbr member
    My fox CTD ate the rear bushing up if I rode park with it. The bearing would be a good upgrade for those crappy plastic bushings.

I've had no issues with my CCDBA yet.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    I haven't regret it one bit. It's also interesting how with rockshox new shock lengths they also advertise the shock eye being larger for a bearing... Looks like rwc beat them to it!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I'm looking into getting this for my Prime. Did you need any spacers on the sides since the width is 40mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcalabrese22 View Post
    I'm looking into getting this for my Prime. Did you need any spacers on the sides since the width is 40mm?
    No spacers needed. The kit will fit just fine.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just installed one(NBKRWC3988) on the back end of the Monarch Plus Debonair on my 16' Spitfire. Night and Day difference in the initial stroke. Can't wait to hit the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these for my rc4. Is anyone running one in a coil shock? I'd say with no preload on the spring initial break away and small bump sensitivity is significantly better than with the ccdba I had prior to this. A mate thinks it might be too plush and affect pedal bob.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You'll need to up your compression to prevent bottom out... I'm not sure there is such a thing as too plush :-)
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrizzle View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these for my rc4. Is anyone running one in a coil shock? I'd say with no preload on the spring initial break away and small bump sensitivity is significantly better than with the ccdba I had prior to this. A mate thinks it might be too plush and affect pedal bob.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    I have a needle bearing kit on my Jade, Insanely plush. Pedal bob can be pretty bad when I stand up and hammer down on the pedals which is annoying. My spring sits @ 25% sag with no preload or id try a firmer spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How are you guys liking the bearing kits? I know someone that used these years ago and really liked them. I have been wanting to kit my DHR out with these, and I just bought a v3 Spit and see all the Banshee guys liking them, might get some for that bike as well.

For the Spit with a CCDB lnline,I saw someone said the frame uses the NBKRWC3988 bearing kit. that's a 39.88mm kit and should have 19.94mm spacers. i assume this is only for the rear eyelet though? cause the front one is much narrower. does anyone know the shock hardware size for the front eyelet? I can't seem to find it on the Banshee site, and i'd rather ask someone here that owns one. I dont have any measure calipers handy at my apartment right now otherwise I'd take the measurement myself, so I apologize for having to even ask. Oh yeah and my Spitfire is a 2016

mtbr member
    I've loved mine on the tube. The break away force is almost none existent to me now. You don't need it for the front eyelet, it doesn't move enough to justify having it there.

I just tore my bike down at 6 months to degrease everything and the needle bearings didn't even need any love even after seeing the Pacific Northwest spring shower
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've loved mine on the tube. The break away force is almost none existent to me now. You don't need it for the front eyelet, it doesn't move enough to justify having it there.

I just tore my bike down at 6 months to degrease everything and the needle bearings didn't even need any love even after seeing the Pacific Northwest spring shower
    Yeah i see most people think the front isn't needed. However I don't mind splurging a little and getting them for both eyelets. Even though the front one doesn't see alot of rotation, I would be willing to bet in a blind test that you could notice a difference with one in there versus without. At the very least, $35 isn't world ending expensive and you'll have a trick DU needle bearing LOL anyway whenever I can get over to my dad's shop I'll just measure it with our calipers

mtbr member
    Your wallet not mine :-). I'm pretty sure banshee has the eyelet measurement listed on their website too.

I suppose for the sake of having an opinion on it, give it a go without it and with it and tell us what you think.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Your wallet not mine :-). I'm pretty sure banshee has the eyelet measurement listed on their website too.

I suppose for the sake of having an opinion on it, give it a go without it and with it and tell us what you think.
    Okay I can do that. I wish I had some sort of an instrument to get real, measurable data to share with everyone. I am having a bit of a situation with my new Spitfire, so hopefully I can get it resolved and be riding on it this week. I'm kinda peeved I haven't already been able to ride it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pushing a year for some of you. How's the maintenance been? Still in love? My DUs (and frame and headset, really, all the bikes bearings lol) are smoked on my V2, likely will make this upgrade while I'm in there!

mtbr member
    I'm still using it but the maintenance requires some patience. I basically carefully take all the needle bearings out, clean everything and then reassemble with grease. I may just be picky and overdoing it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    I should also add that I only use it on my air shock. Coil is sensitive enough I don't really need it.

'16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm still using it but the maintenance requires some patience. I basically carefully take all the needle bearings out, clean everything and then reassemble with grease. I may just be picky and overdoing it...

Cool thanks for feedback. How often are you finding yourself doing this? And you're in PAC NW is that right?

mtbr member
    Yep! I didn't touch it till about a month ago when i replaced all my bearings. It prob could have used it earlier. It was pretty gunked up...

'16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert