Thread: Scythe v Legend

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Scythe v Legend

G'day all good Banshee lovers,

I posted a thread over in DH general forums seeking advice on a DH bike for an older rider (in my 50th year)

To summarise - been into DH for about 6 years. Have owned and ridden 05 Stinky, 07 Astrix Huckster, 08 Cannondale Judge DH replica (with floating brake)

Aussie tracks are not super steep, but tend to be tight and bumpy (at least what i ride) I do not race DH, dont like huge jumps (scared of heights) but love going fast, drops etc.

OK - two bikes have become available localy - a 2013 Scythe (with '12RS Boxxer WC's) and a 2011 Legend (2011 RS Teams) - both are listed at the same price.

I have ridden a 2009 Scythe (and liked it) but not a Legend.

Kinda leaning toward the Sycthe (newer bike and components) and i have ridden it.

Not asking for a 'buy that bike' response - more of a pro's and con's for each please.

thanks in advance, cheers, jawry

mtbr member
    You say you like to go fast then the Legend is your ticket. It turns way better at speed than the Scythe in my opinion too. Don't worry about the Legend being a bit older. Nothing has needed changing on it since it was released. If your tracks are "bumpy" then again the Legend fits the bill.

mtbr member
    OP-I responded to your original post in the DH forum.
    From your ride descriptions and prior bikes, both Banshee options would work well for you.
    I think you'd be happy on either bike
    The Legend is an amazing ride-it's the best turning bike I've ridden-whether it's smooth turns or rough and loose, the bike will be predictable in corners.
    It handles high speed well in all terrain(although so much of that has to do with suspension set up).
    It's a very easy frame to set up and balance suspension on.
    I find it's great in the air-predictable and easy to move it around if that's what you are looking for.
    It's a very tough and low maintenance frame as well.