mtbr member
    Apr 2006

RWC needle bearing install on Rune

Has anyone used installed the needle bearing kit on the rune? I'm have fit issues on the rocker pivot.

Paste eater
    Huh? Needle bearing kit for the Rune?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    To replace du bushings in the shock.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Resnick View Post
    To replace du bushings in the shock.
    What bearing kit. I am unaware of such a thing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    REAL WORLD CYCLING AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS, BEARINGS, & SEALS

Look at needle bearings

Btw this is not a linkage bushing replacement

Paste eater
    oooooooooooooooh. The shock. All this pivot bushing talk has my mind elsewhere. So, no, I haven't. Sorry, I'm no help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just bought 2 of the kits from RWC last week. I'm having them installed on my Rune at the local bike shop. I'll post up after I get my frame and shock back to let you know if there were any fit issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    You DID buy the spacers needed for it to fit, right?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I have them on my Rampant and Spitfire. They definitely help both bikes be just a little more sensitive on the small bumps. Just a little.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought a custom kit (made in France ) for my Rune and it fit well.

If the kit is for 8mm axle and 43mm width there's no possible issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    is it smaller than the rocker span? theres supposed to be three .5mm spacers on either side(available from RWC) unless they changed it since last year. IMO it didnt make a lot of difference, i think the initial stiction in the bushings overshadows the benefit from removing stiction at the shock mount. On my bearing bikes it makes a more noticeable difference.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got the shock in and I do notice a difference in a couple really chundery areas around my place.

as for stiction in the bushings it's none existant in my bike. If you have a Rune get a good (click style) torque wrench when you do your bushing lube check you pivot torque.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ive been there and done that, I am all about proper torque. It still did not have the smoothness of bearing bikes, im not saying thats a flaw or anything, just an inherent property of bushings vs. bearings. I was just saying that as far as i can feel, the needle bearing shock mountt makes a bigger difference on my bearing bikes. After i cracked my Rune in 8 months i sold the warranty replacement and moved on to something else, before the pivot wear problems set in.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just got my frame back from the shop and from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any movement around the rocker pivot. The mechanic did say that the install was somewhat tricky although he really didn't say why it was. I still need to assemble the bike, so I guess that will be the real test.

Sober for now...
    I just installed the full kit (both eyelets) on my Rune w/ DHX air. Huge difference in small bump but there's the tiniest amount of play at the shock now even with the "+" hardware installed.
    Anyone else notice this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine has some play when I "twist" the shock, I took a video of it and sent if off to rwc and got this back

"The twisting action in the video is allowed because the rubber seals contact the shock body. The suspension should impart no force in this direction. As long as the seals contact the shock body and you have no actual space between them, you should be fine. Test by compressing the suspension and lifting up on the seat. If all feels good, give it a test on the trail. Please let me know if you have any issues or concerns after checking it out. Best regards, Chris Streeter"

I have emailed the guys at RWC a couple times they are great and always get back to me within 12 hours.