mtbr member
    Jul 2011

rune vs spitfire

I think i already know the answer, but id like to get some input anyways..

Im looking for either a replacement to my v2 covert, or if i can afford it, keep the covert as well, the coverts built up as a pretty burly freeride/bikepark bike, still ride trails with it, but depending on tires its around 34-36ish lbs. its fun going down for sure and awesome for resort riding but just too slow on anything flat or up and down terrain to be any fun, i want to be able to ride flatter terrain and really haul, be able to ride everything hard rather than just the downs. im also starting to get into enduro racing and its just too sluggish for anything thats not like 80% descending. i also just want to try something new for the hell of it.

Anyway, the rune looks like ill be pretty much getting into the same problem as the frames even heavier, though with a lightweight build it could end up being a pretty nice replacement to the covert in that it could still be plenty resort friendly. but i like the geometry and focus of the spitfire, a light(ish) weight, pedally bike with a enduro/DH friendly geometry. and with 140-150mm of travel it doesnt seem like ill give much up in terms of suspension.

anyone ride both? my main concern with the rune is how well it pedals, and if it can charge up hills well, my main concern with the spitfire would be if it can still charge downhill and through rocky sections pretty well, but most of all if it pedals noticeable better than the rune.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Rune pedals good, and it climbs better than I'd imagined when I started my project "one bike to rule them all". Never ridden the Spitfire before, but given the fact that a lot of riders seem to use the Spitty for (competetive) enduro racing, and the fact that you're looking for something that can climb fast and good, I'd definitely take a look at the Spitty.

If you're more into DHing with occasional climbing and don't mind a slightly heavier bike, get the Rune. I'm loving it. Gives me a lot of confidence. My riding profile is trail/AM and the reason I chose the Rune over the Spitfire was that I wanted a ride I can rely on, and that has enough reserves to hit the big stuff. Sold my Kona Operator and I'm now using it in the Bike Park, too

But, tbh: You will not make any mistake if you get either of them

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I too think you should look at the spotty. Seems to me there would be far too much overlap with your covert if you decided to get a Rune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    I too think you should look at the spotty. Seems to me there would be far too much overlap with your covert if you decided to get a Rune.
    yeah I mean it definitely makes sense that the rune would pretty much be a covert replacement, which i dont exactly need, i love the covert for what i built it to do, but then again its getting a little old and the rune if anything is a little more DH friendly in terms of geo. i could build it up lighter, plus the rune's rear suspension seems more pedal friendly, so could be a good replacement in that it could pedal and descent better with the right/expensive build.

the thing that turns me away from the spitfire is that it weighs 8lbs. like, you can get pretty burly FR frames for that weight, thats what? 1/2 a lb lighter than the rune at most? sure it can be built under 30 lbs, but then so could the rune. for a 150mm pedally trail bike, it seems kinda pointlessly heavy.

ideally i want a pretty FR/DH oriented enduro bike, and a light, snappy, poppy pedally trail bike. the spitfire seems like it could do the light(ish) pedally thing, the geo looks perfect for me. but i could find frames that are 2lbs lighter that do the same thing, possibly better. just cant find one with the spitfires geo..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I wouldn't get hung up on the weight of the spitfire frame, I have one with DBair and old van36 and this bike rips it on the trails, it climbs really well and decends even better and it's confidence inspiring as its built up burly. I have been riding it hard and the bike loves it! I have a dh bike so thought the rune would be to much of an overlap. I am very happy with this frame, I have a set of 150 forks I was gonna try as thought the weight would be an issue but honestly I don't notice it as it pedals so well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah the Rune would be exactly what you have already but just with a different suspension platform.

Both bikes use a very similar platform so a lot of it comes down to the build - a heavy Spitty build will overlap with a lightweight Rune build in a lot of ways. How the bike climbs is as much your build as the frame choice.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    I have not ridden a V2 Rune yet, but I think a Rune will make your Covert redundant. As a V2 Spitfire-Rider I can honestly say the KS-Link Suspension is top notch dialed. It pedals really great and is unbelievable capable on the Downs. I´m happy to went with the Spitfire, as I could imagine the Rune´s Potential makes your average Park-Freeride-Bike needless.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    ... ideally i want a pretty FR/DH oriented enduro bike, and a light, snappy, poppy pedally trail bike. the spitfire seems like it could do the light(ish) pedally thing, the geo looks perfect for me. but i could find frames that are 2lbs lighter that do the same thing, possibly better. just cant find one with the spitfires geo..
    Hehehe, no Sir - this is why the Spitfire is such a unique Trailbike! Yup, there are a lot of these lightish Frames out there - but Frame-Weight isn´t everything. The overall Weight depends to 90% on your Part-Spec. You will not going to find other Trailbikes with a Geometry like that for now. So if you plan on Enduro-Racing you might want the extra Durability and Stiffness of a shorter travel Bike. Plus, seriously think of 650B Wheels in a Spitfire for that Purpose ... !!!
    If you plan on One Bike only get the Rune. Or keep the Covert (which is a really great Bike) and go "downsized" with the Spitfire, with reasonable light Partspec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This seems obvious to me, and is exactly what I did. Sell what you have now and build the Rune for exactly what you want. I sold my XC and DH bikes so I could afford a dream build on my Rune, and now I have myself a 30 lb rune that climbs and descends incredibly well and I never have to think "hey, what bike should I ride today?" or "what bike do I bring on this trip?"

Mr. Knowitall
    @ironxcross: what type of build do you have? I am really into a "one bike to rule them all"-strategy, and it will replace a Liteville 301, which replaced my Yeti SB66 (due to sponsorship). And the Yeti with a Vivid Air told me: sell the DH bike. Now I am reallyreally contemplating a Rune or a Spitty for trail rides with the occational rippin downhill sections, some days in the bike park (I wish - became a dad 4 months ago and less riding than ever) and enduro racing. But first of all: "lighter" trail rides for laughs and som exercise where the downhills are not the gnarliest or longest or fastest, the climbs are there and the really technical stuff both up and down must be conquered with confidence. Is the Spitty enough for this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    For what you said, honestly both are great options in my opinion the only significant different between the Rune and Spitfire are geometry. If you do want to mess around with bike parks at all though, I would go Rune for sure. It's got that tiny bit of extra beef and extra travel to work with on the not-so-smooth impacts. And the Rune is still plenty capable of XC rides and tech climbing if you ask me.

Mine is fox float ctd shock and fox float 36 fork (with 650b jammed in), XX1 drivetrain, stans flow rims (with shitty stans hubs... to be replaced), spec blacklite dropper (not perfect, but actually been pretty darn good), xt brakes, havoc carbon bars.

As is I love it, just won an am. enduro this past weekend on it! However, not blown away by the suspension so the plan this winter is to go pike/monarch plus and swap the wheels for something stiffer, probably the I9 enduros.

At the end of the day there really is no one bike to rule them all, there's no match for having a big DH sled at the bike park or a 20 lb 29'er on an epic XC ride. But the Rune is incredibly close, and definitely a bike you can take anywhere and have a fun day. For everything BUT park riding the spitty would cut it for sure, although personally for enduro racing I'd still take my Rune any day.

mtbr member
    Coming off a 150mm travel bike (Remedy 9.8 built heavy), and wanting to go a little bigger with the next build as I felt I really needed it for the way I wanted to ride vs the limitations I was running into. That said, I would assume I wanted a Rune if I didn't know anything about Banshee and their suspension. I wasn't even looking at Banshee at first, UNTIL I actually rode a buddy's back to back with my bike and was blown away with how the thing railed and climbed. I rode the Spitfire V2 (26") and I would have never considered getting a bike with LESS travel in the rear before hand.

To be certain I wasn't going to want "more" a month from now, I built a Spitty V2 up in 650b with a DB Air, 160mm Pike (I swear there is butter somewhere inside that thing), XX1, some stiff I9 Enduro wheels and a dropper. This thing has exceeded what I wanted a bike to do, (rail, descend, drops, jumps, correct "mistakes"...... and climb). I am running it in the lowest setting (slack), so the high speed stability due to the HA and looooow BB height is most complimented by the endless feeling KS rear end. Instead of feeling like I lost 10mm, I felt like I GAINED 10mm, (And that's considering the fact the Remedy is a full floater and the DCRV rear shock which was very plush).

So all that said, don't read into "trail" or "all-mountain" quite literally. The Spitfire V2 climbs like a trail bike but descends like (or better IMHO), an all-mountain. I haven't ridden one, but unless I wanted a bike that was almost DH'able or extreme park'able, I would think the Rune would be a little much for what I'm wanting to do with it, (of course if I built a Rune I'd probably build it with 26" wheels and a 180 up front which translated to me to be way more than I needed). Also, a heavier built Spitty made more sense than a lightly built Rune.... cause building a Rune to be light just sounds defeating.

Now a sub 6lb carbon Spitty Frame would be the dog's bollocks!

mtbr member
    Dude ditch the Covert and build a Rune. Even if you get a Spit you won't ride the Covert. I've ridden these back to back and they are night and day different. There would be no point in having it. A Rune however will replace the Covert and handle trail riding duties on top of just about anything else you need the bike to ride.

Mine is 31lbs w/ i9 Enduro wheels, a 36 Talas and a CCDBa. i have a 45mm stem and 31.5" bars. Stuck on XX1 so i can climb w/o a front derailleur. The bike crushes. IThe bike never keeps me from getting up something if my fitness will allow it and it never keeps me from riding down or off something. It's an amazing bike.

FYI Treybiker, a 180mm fork will void the warranty on the Rune.

mtbr member
    ^ Really? My bad. Just assumed it could handle a bit more than the Spitty. Regardless, I don't think either bike is a bad decision.

mtbr member
    it can handle it no problem i'm sure. Just voids the warranty.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    ... a 180mm fork will void the warranty on the Rune.
    Hi Ryan, not sure if this Statement is true. Seems like the Rune is ready for Forks from 160/170 or 180 mm Travel:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rune vs spitfire-rune2014.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am considering this same choice myself. Do any of you have a bit more time on the Spitty now, and have you changed your minds? I have a HT XC bike and a DH bike so something in the middle would be good.
    Your never too old to have a happy childhood!

mtbr member
    I think either will work. I know people that ride both the rune and spitfire for enduro racing. Most people think the rune has a bit too much travel for hammering hard on the pedals and holding speed out of corners.

i think it comes down to your style and trails you ride. if you ride high speed chunder and free ride features more often than more mellow all mountain trails i'd go for a rune. (thats not to say the spitfire isnt completely capable of handling big free ride stuff, i jump and drop mine all the time.)

to summarize:

if your going to be pedaling road to the top and mobbing big features going down, go for the rune.

if you want something capable of a 25 mile 5000' vert technical and fast trail day go for the spitty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    its sounding like the banshee may be a better fit. I want to need the rune, but i dont do enough resort DH or bombing super gnarly stuff to need it. the banshee seems ideal for like 70% of my riding, while the rune seems ideal for like 30%, but that 30% is the funnest type of riding...
    the weight of the rune is a big turnoff, the spitfire's heavy too, but it at least seems like a 27-28lb bike is do able in my price range, which is fine for how burly the bike is.

im considering some bikes like the knolly warden, transition bandit, carbine 275, and mach 6 carbon. this seems like it might be the most aggressive of them all. and considering its $1000 cheaper than some of those frames, i could really build it with some nice stuff. bos suspension front/rear, really nice wheelset, etc. that'd be pretty sweet..