conjoinicorned

rune vs. prime...??

sorry if this is covered before, i've been away from the forums for months at work

i'm looking for a new trail bike, i have a 6" AM bike and had an AM 29er, they both have points that i really like and i have a lot of time on both wheelsizes. i have solid 26/29 wheelsets, i'm not ready for 650 yet or a wheelsize debate...i'm just looking for frame. riding is everything from shuttles (6' drops) to 80km backcountry XC rides.

my issue: i would love to go back to 29 with a prime but i'd need a frame ($2k) and fork ($1k) or i can pick up a 2011 closeout rune for $1k and i already have a very nice 26er build kit. i can swing the prime but dammit that's way more than i was looking to spend. also looking at the bandit29 but again i'd need a 140mm fork

anyone have an opinion for me to read? i guess what i'm asking is anyone who has ridden either or both bikes have a comment on the differences/similarities? does anyone know of a cheap source on a prime or a line on a lightly used one that they didn't like?

thanks for reading my ramble
    Last edited by ferday; 09-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well you are finding close out Runes for $1K because they have a newly redesigned Rune arriving in Oct. The new rune pretty much looks exactly like the Prime and features the new KS style suspension which thus far seems to be far superior than the Rune suspension that is on the close out bike. If I were you I would either wait for the new Runes or go for the Prime. Either way you are not getting a bike for the $1K price range you are looking for. You are however looking at an awesome company and really can't go wrong!

mtbr member
    It's worth mentioning that the old Rune may have some inherit bushing issues...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    ... and itīs worth mentioning that by far not every Rune out there has this issues ...

conjoinicorned
    thanks all!

the new rune looks like way more bike than i want, i'm interested in the slightly steeper angles and less travel/lighter weight of the old rune. i have a DH bike and a very solid 6" AM bike...but she weighs 35lbs with a very nice build kit (9.75lbs frame/shock LOL) and has old school geometry with too short an ETT

i sold my RIP9 because it wasn't quite enough bike but now i miss the 29er and curious about the new AM 29ers, but at the same time i've been having fun with my old AM 26er (minus the climbs)

jenson is also blowing out turner 5spots for 1k which may be an option but i'd prefer something canadian like banshee...and less DW link LOL

i've been working out of town for a couple years so was hoping to keep it cheap for another season or two until i'm at home more then spend a bunch on a new whip

beater
    I've never ridden a RIP9, but I had a WFO9 and replaced it with one of the Prime protos. You won't think the Prime isn't enough bike...

Based on what you've written, I think you'd love the Prime. But that said, I have a friend who built up a closeout 5.Spot from Jenson over the winter and he's pretty pleased with it as a lighter compliment to his Highline.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

MTB B'dos
    Ferday, can't remember, were you one of the lucky ones that broke your V1 RIP enough times to get a V2? If you only had a V1, then the difference will be night and cheese, yeah, no comparison in other words. If you had a V2, then the geo was still the same and the suspension and I'd have to guess that it pedaled like the V1 and the KS link is a better peddler with better small bump compliance.

As to the Rune V1 vs Prime no experience, but I wouldn't opt for the chance of buying the older Rune and having any issues with the bushings. Also, if you thought you needed a bit more bike from the RIp, then the Prime will surely suffice, only question being how much will you be able to get for that 6" 26er you've got when it starts to gather dust? FYI, my pre-production XL Prime built up to 33.5lbs with Pro2/Flow wheels, all XT bits and 800g> tyres, which means production should build around <32lbs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    i'm looking for a new trail bike, i have a 6" AM bike and had an AM 29er, they both have points that i really like and i have a lot of time on both wheelsizes. riding is everything from shuttles (6' drops) to 80km XC rides.
    Ferday, I'd go with the prime!
    I've got both a v1 Rune and a Prime, the prime gets nearly all my riding time, shuttles and most light-FR stuff included.

conjoinicorned
    thanks again everyone!
    Lynx, i had the v1...never broke it but it was flexy and just not quite there for what i wanted, it was a great XC/light AM bike but i got sick of going around some of the larger features on the trails, i hit a few bigger ones and it was scary. the HA totally sucked as well although it was the best climber i've ever owned. i'd love to get into one of the new "quiver killer" bikes that are light enough but strong enough, a lot of our shuttle trails are also pedal friendly for the days i don't wanna hit 5 runs with the monster DH bike. i'll never sell my 6" 26er...it's not worth anything LOL (2003 balfa 2step) but i've gotten my $ out of her over the last 9 years.

i could deal with 32 lbs if i knew the bike would handle repeated 5-6' drops and do an XC ride the next day...just hard to justify the $$$ bikes seem to have gotten really high dollar in the last few years

to further this discussion...the ETT on the small (medium?) prime is perfect but the seat tube is longer than anything i've owned...i'm only 5'6 anyone have a comment on the sizing? the standover is close but i'd make it there too. my RIP was the best fit i've ever had

it will be very hard if not impossible to see a prime in my part of the world to test it out

MTB B'dos
    Ferday, dude, if that's the case then aboard the Prime you'd be giggling like a giddy school girl with a crush on Justin Beaber RIP was what I owned the first time down our 2 most aggressive trails and when I got the Minute with 20mm TA and Pro2 bolt on rear it helped somewhat, or so I thought, but after taking the Prime down both of these I now realise how much of a nasty wet noodle the RIP was and how much I had to work and why it was so damn hard to make these super chunky, steep descents without feeling like I might die - seriously.
    They're much worse now than when I had the RIP and the Prime just east them up, stiff, stable, confident. Working on getting a good video of them, but right now only have these two vids of them. The Hackletons 2 was filmed on the Paradox and when I rode it the first time on the Prime I was actually quite sketched out as I think it was absorbing the chatter so well I could finally see just how big and rough and sharp the rocks were

Oh and FYI, my regular Sat ride is roughly 35 miles, about 2500ft of climbing, lots of XC type trails with a fewer more aggressive trails thrown in and a 13 mile commute to the start and back and the Prime handles it very well. Biggest thing is tyre selection, run some 800G> tyres and you'll feel it when you're not pointed down, but pointed down oh so sweet. Run some <700g tyres and she'll fly on the flats and up and maybe not as much fly on the downs, all depends on your intended usage and what you live for - FYI right now once it's dry I've been riding Ikon F&R and they've been working really well, even on that super chunk.

MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    ... and itīs worth mentioning that by far not every Rune out there has this issues ...
    Mine did and ot took 6 months for banshee to replace it. I ride a Nomad now. I'd get the new one without question.

conjoinicorned
    thanks everyone

i'm trying very hard to find a prime somewhere even close to me, so i can check the fit. the numbers seem to add up compared to my RIP except the long seat tube, which technically shouldn't make much difference i think...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    thanks everyone

i'm trying very hard to find a prime somewhere even close to me, so i can check the fit. the numbers seem to add up compared to my RIP except the long seat tube, which technically shouldn't make much difference i think...
    I think I have the closest Prime to you, but it is an XL...
    You are welcome to check it out if you are down my way (Fernie).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^ an XL Prime?! That thing must be HUGE!!!

MTB B'dos
    Only on paper In reality it looks bigger, but handles smaller 48" WB, saddle is 1/2 way up my torso for "proper" pedaling, but for me it feels so nice and control and very nimble enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    Well, I am 6'4"....
    Bears run from me.