Group Hug Participant

Rune V2 sizing: Small vs. Medium

I'm trying to figure out which size I should go for and have read that the top tube feels a bit long on the medium V2. I'm currently 5'8" with a 30" inseem and still ride a V1 medium since '09 and that size is fine. However, I did add the 2 deg. Works cups with a 50mm stem and 30" bars. Compared to my 2012 medium Transition Bandit 29er (my go to bike with same stem and bars), the reach still feels a bit longer. In other words, the Bandit's cockpit fits me perfectly.

First off, any new V2 riders change to a smaller frame? I'm comparing the small V2 reach of 393mm vs. the medium Bandit's reach of 391. The stack on the small V2 is 582mm vs. 627.6mm on the Bandit.

My V2 build will be identical to my V1, but may experiment with 650B in the future.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'd definitely get the small if I was you.

Oh yeah and.... comparing reach is good... and I think the small rune will fit similar to your Bandit. I don't think stack can really be compared though, due to the bigger wheelsize, the 29'er will always have a taller stack height.

Food for thought: The medium Rune with 650b wheels would have the same wheelbase as my Prime proto.
    Last edited by FM; 01-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Cannonball!
    I'm 5'7"+ and I ride a medium, it fits great with some wide ass bars and a 50mm stem. That being said, I'm going to try a 35mm stem on it for grins. I am also considering the 2013 Bandit 29 built with a pretty light build, as a trail bike/occassional race machine, then I would use the Rune for more gravity oriented days. Interested to hear if you have anything to add on the Bandit 29 (PM if you want).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz View Post
    I'm trying to figure out which size I should go for and have read that the top tube feels a bit long on the medium V2. I'm currently 5'8" with a 30" inseem and still ride a V1 medium since '09 and that size is fine. However, I did add the 2 deg. Works cups with a 50mm stem and 30" bars. Compared to my 2012 medium Transition Bandit 29er (my go to bike with same stem and bars), the reach still feels a bit longer. In other words, the Bandit's cockpit fits me perfectly.

First off, any new V2 riders change to a smaller frame? I'm comparing the small V2 reach of 393mm vs. the medium Bandit's reach of 391. The stack on the small V2 is 582mm vs. 627.6mm on the Bandit.

My V2 build will be identical to my V1, but may experiment with 650B in the future.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Size down from V1 for similar feel in sizing despite much shorter seat tube and TT. My medium V2 has very similar fit in sizing compared to my large V1 due to long reach measurement. Just had to push the seat back some and raise the post higher on the climbs and I'm good to go. Fits like a glove. So glad I didn't go large.
    Ride On!

Group Hug Participant
    It's sounding like small is the size for me. Dang, I've never really considered myself a "small" kinda of guy. Guess that makes me a grow'r not a show'r if that makes any sense whatsoever .

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I'd definitely get the small if I was you.

Food for thought: The medium Rune with 650b wheels would have the same wheelbase as my Prime proto.
    That's some good food right there. The longer wheelbase on the medium would definitely take away some of the playfulness for me personally. Already, I'm thinking too much overlap between V2 Rune/B29, especially if I go 650b (4.4mm wheelbase difference). But who knows. I've had fun on my last 3 rides with my old Rune. 650 might be just the ticket. And besides, lifes too short and there are too many good bikes out there. A deal like this is too hard to ignore.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 172cm on a medium 650b. For my taste its right. Any smaller would be cramped in reach. Handling is still fast enough...

Edit: What might be more helpful is my arms/torso are long for my height, legs are short. If my proportions were the other way round I'd suggest small.

Maybe something like:
    Do you like small bikes and compared to the reach on your current bike, is the v2 much longer? Yes = get small.
    Is the medium reach the same as your current bike and you like and extra bit of room? Yes = get medium.
    Last edited by ptd; 01-24-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Group Hug Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    I'm 172cm on a medium 650b. For my taste its right. Any smaller would be cramped in reach. Handling is still fast enough...

Edit: What might be more helpful is my arms/torso are long for my height, legs are short. If my proportions were the other way round I'd suggest small.

Maybe something like:
    Do you like small bikes and compared to the reach on your current bike, is the v2 much longer? Yes = get small.
    Is the medium reach the same as your current bike and you like and extra bit of room? Yes = get medium.
    Ha! That's exactly the way I decided on the small. BTW, just saw your bike. Now I'm REALLY excited!