Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rune V2 Sizing

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rune V2 Sizing

I thought it might be wise to start a thread just about sizing for the Rune V2. Im sure Im not the only one who's curious how the V2's fit, given they aren't in stores for another few weeks. I have been offered an upgrade frame and heard from Trident that they are arriving in Canada this week, but am really stuck about which size to pick up.

Currently I'm riding a Medium V1 and find it a little too cramped. I'm 5'11" with a 32.5" inseam. My current Rune is setup with a 60mm stem and a KS dropper (which have a setback clamp) with the seat pushed back past centre of rails. I mostly ride Vancouver's North Shore. On flatter trails I find the bike an ok size as Im used to riding a compact cockpit. But when things turn steep and tech downhill I find it a little cramped, even more so on fast flowing dh where I find my attack position feels too far forward because of the short cockpit and forward BB.

Keith from Banshee told me even though the numbers arent much different the steeper seat tube makes it feel bigger. But will it be enough? Plus I'm going to swap my seatpost to a Reverb with an inline clamp which will shorten my reach, and dont want to go to a longer stem.

@Danshee is 5'10" but with longer inseam than me and wrote his new V2 Medium feels longer than the V1. But his measurements seem very close to my current V1.

@AdrianoMTB is 6' tall riding a Large and says it feels long.

@MalcolmX is riding a Large but I'm not sure how tall he is.

I'm leaning towards a Large, from the pics on here it doesnt look huge. If V2 owners have any advice on sizing please post here. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    go for the medium... regarding the users conclusions... the Medium Rune v2 itīs bigger than the Rune v1... Simply put a short stem and a straight seatpost.

Remember that in overall, itīs better fit a bigger size than the contray... with the bigger size itīs easy to adjust your cockpit position changing the stem measure...

if you decide to go to a Large size.. try 30mm stem

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The reach (horizontal distance from center of BB to top center of headtube, the number one most important number in bike sizing,NOT top tube length) on the v3 is 417 (in neutral angle position I assume), 35 mm longer than the v1 (382). i suspect youd be fine on a medium with a 50-60 mm stem. Even though the TT is the same, the 3 degree steeper seat angle stretches out the reach. its something you really feel when out of the saddle. Im 5'8" and used to have a medium v1, if I got a v2 I would get a small!
    Also, you would have to move the seat farther back relative to the BB for the same pedaling position, compared to the v1 Definitely keep the setback seatpost, youll need it even more on a bike with a steeper seat angle. You should adjust saddle fore/aft for the most efficient pedal position; cockpit sizing should be done with frame size and stem length.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 09-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. Dwyooaj I never actually saw that "reach" measurement at the bottom of the geo chart even though I've probably studied it 20 times! 35mm longer seems a fair increase and like you mention, its when Im out the saddle that my current bike feels small so the new Rune may well be fine in a medium.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Lage V2 Rune, I am 190cm tall...

with 40mm stem, it feels about the same size as the V1 with 70mm stem... that should give you an idea about the size difference... it reflects the increased reach...

so if the medium V1 felt cramped, the medium V2 should be fine with the same stem length...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My understanding is that the modernized geometry will naturally have a longer top tube, and a longer reach, but that this will be compensated for by running a shorter stem.

Also this bike with a much slacker head angle promotes a more agressive riding position that means you have to adjust your riding style a bit to get your weight on the front wheel. once again with your body weight moved forward, that brings you closer to the bars.

Look at the measurements on a Mondraker with forward geometry... that is just modern geometry taken the extreme.

i would be careful to make the mistake of taking too small a size by comparing numbers between the old and new version of the bike!

Also account that you may have to ride the new geometry a few times to adapt your riding style to it and realise the benefits of the new design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'd go for a medium, my initial impression of "woah it feels longer" lasted a day and it feels perfect now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yep, medium it is then. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Which size with 192cm and about 92cm inseam? L or XL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey all

I prefer to ride with a 50mm stem. I ride a medium v1 spitty. I have allways belived i would be picking a medium frame for everything. Then the Rune v2 comes along.

Im 174cm (think thats around 5.7 or 5.8 feet)
    And it looks like i would be riding a small... Anyone got inputs?

Cheers and have a nice weekend

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 172cm, went for a M, on order, no ride time! Planning 50mm stem.

Previous frame had reach 420mm and used 50mm stem. I wouldn't have liked it any shorter.

I have long torso and arms, short legs, so even though S should my height, M fits my reach.

S rune reach 393mm
    M rune reach 415mm

I'd still be interested hearing from someone with a S rune!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the input. Doubt i have a long reach :-)
    I would also like to hear from a Small frame owner.

mtbr member
    @ ruckse
    I think you have no choice...XL definitely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ptd, I am your height also with long arms and torso ( but i still like shortish cockpits) and have a med transition blindside (i was on the cusp betweem med and small as per their sizing), with a reach of 392, same as the small rune v2, and I run a 30-35 mm stem to get it to not feel too long. Since a blindside should be a little shorter because its more dh oriented, plus it looks like u like a longer cockpit than me, u should be ok on that med, but perhaps give a super short 30-35 mm stem a try. It feels pretty rad. Syntace makes an uber-light 30 mm stem, the Megaforce2. FWIW my rune V1 was a medium with a 45 mm stem, and its reach was 382, way shorter than the v2 med. even the v1 small is longer than the old med. Im just putting in my 2 cents since the med blindside has almost the same geo as the small rune v2. When I get my rune v2 its gonna be a small.
    eitehr that, or a small Cotic Rocket or the new covert...
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 11-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    ptd, I am your height also with long arms and torso ( but i still like shortish cockpits) and have a med transition blindside (i was on the cusp betweem med and small as per their sizing), with a reach of 392, same as the small rune v2, and I run a 30-35 mm stem to get it to not feel too long. Since a blindside should be a little shorter because its more dh oriented, plus it looks like u like a longer cockpit than me, u should be ok on that med, but perhaps give a super short 30-35 mm stem a try. It feels pretty rad. Syntace makes an uber-light 30 mm stem, the Megaforce2. FWIW my rune V1 was a medium with a 45 mm stem, and its reach was 382, way shorter than the v2 med. even the v1 small is longer than the old med. Im just putting in my 2 cents since the med blindside has almost the same geo as the small rune v2. When I get my rune v2 its gonna be a small.
    eitehr that, or a small Cotic Rocket or the new covert...
    Thanks for sharing... I have been getting used to the thougt of a small frame.

Even my banshee provider (this will be my banshee no.4) suggested me a small. I hope he can build up a medium before i order mine, just so i can get a good judging on the size. (If you read this, hurry up man!)

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    @dwyooaj: good info, I like your idea for the short stem
    @y-rider: if my current bike with about the same reach as the medium didn't feel a bit cramped from time to time, I would have gone for the small. By sizing methods I should be on a small, just taking a chance that the medium will suit me better on the trail. My head says small, my body says medium
    Last edited by ptd; 11-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm hoping that the new Rune will fit well for myself. I'm female and 5'3" so I have a smaller torso than most guys. I'm looking at either the new Rune or the Transition Covert. I would love to have an all mountain bike that leans more towards the downhill side of riding; I'd rather suffer going up for more fun on the down.

I'll be moving back to North Vancouver in June, I'm wondering if it would be possible to demo a size small?

Thanks in advanced. I think Banshee is a really great company!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Definitely the Rune should be run with a 35 - 50mm stem. Those trying to fit the bike like a typical 'trail' bike with a 70mm stem are going to find it too long. I'm a medium on almost everything and the medium Rune sounds about 1/2" longer than I'm used to - so a 40mm stem would probably be in order.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone build up a small frame yet?
    And if yes, how tall are you?

Im still afraid a small frame will feel to cramped with a 50mm stem. But the numbers says different. Think im afraid of the "small" tag. Besides toptube, reach and such is there anything different about the seattube length? Does that even matter? :-) sorry for being a numb skull here, because i allready wrote once, but got 2 different opinions..but i have sleepless nights about this... Do i like the bike long or abit cramped!? Safest would be somewhere in the middle.
    so i guess my question is, would it be safest choice to have a medium frame with a 35-40mm short stem or a small with a 50mm stem? Im about 173cm or 5'8"high with a good balance in torso and leg length.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Y-rider View Post
    Anyone build up a small frame yet?
    And if yes, how tall are you?

Im still afraid a small frame will feel to cramped with a 50mm stem. But the numbers says different. Think im afraid of the "small" tag. Besides toptube, reach and such is there anything different about the seattube length? Does that even matter? :-) sorry for being a numb skull here, because i allready wrote once, but got 2 different opinions..but i have sleepless nights about this... Do i like the bike long or abit cramped!? Safest would be somewhere in the middle.
    so i guess my question is, would it be safest choice to have a medium frame with a 35-40mm short stem or a small with a 50mm stem? Im about 173cm or 5'8"high with a good balance in torso and leg length.
    I'm 172cm tall, just sat on my medium for the first time with 50mm stem, for my likes it's the right size. I was contemplating a small, glad I went medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the input man!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    And btw, did you choose that frame size for the abillity to go uphill better or downhill better?

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Y-rider View Post
    And btw, did you choose that frame size for the abillity to go uphill better or downhill better?
    Downhill I guess, but if you are cramped with weight too far back it doesn't suit up or down..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm a shade under 5'11 and ride a large with a 40mm stem (same length as what I use on my DH bike) and it fits great. Granted, I'm a still semi-fast former pro and world cup dh racer turned lazy photographer and trail rider, but I still like a longer wheel base and front end. It's hard to get really rowdy with my chin hanging out in front of my hands. If I rode with a slightly less aggressive, upright position I would have chosen a medium. Anyone around 5'10-6' could easily go either M or L, depends on how you like your body position on the bike. Make an honest assessment of how you ride and go from there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I dicided to go for a medium, and i will slap a 35mm stem on. That makes most sense for me at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast