mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rune V2 with a shorter shock?

Has anyone tried running their Rune V2 with a shorter shock? I'm curious what it would be like. Just thinking that for those longer multi-day trips where the likely-hood of getting rowdy is low, it might be nice to take my Rune down a step in travel.

My basic understanding is that by shortening the shock, it would lower the BB, slacken the head angle, and reduce the travel. The lowering and slackening could be offset by putting the bike in the higher BB mode.

Any thoughts on this?

And yes - I understand that a Spitfire would essentially solve this question, but wouldn't be nearly as pleasant in the bike park...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I won't go into specifics of how this came about, but I ran my V2 Rune with a Spitfire rear shock for a couple of rides. This was my experience, which won't necessarily translate to everyone.

1. I blew through the travel incredibly fast. Not just o ring off the slider, but metal clanging and bucking due to the rear shock smashing to the end of the available travel. This was with the recommended sag. The shock will need to be pumped to a higher pressure than what is recommended, which will not do great things with the suspension performance.

2. I was pedal striking all over the place. Even with the standard sized shock, I pedal strike more than I like. With the short shock, it was like a type of torture to deal with. This is the single attribute that I think where the V1 was better, slightly higher bottom bracket (I blame the internet peanut gallery).

3. The bike was super slacked out, even in the middle setting. This may not be great to deal with, depending on the style/ride/terrain/speed. I didn't try messing with the flip chips.

If you ride smoother terrain (or just float over obstacles), have the shock revalved for the bike, and play with the flip chips, this MIGHT work. It would be great to hear how it goes for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the input!

What do you think would happen if the stroke length remained the same? Is that a thing that can even be done?

I don't yet have the bike... so I can not try it myself. If it worked, it might be a nice alternative to buying a Spitfire to go along with my Rune... mind you I would probably end up with a Phantom anyway.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    As far as I know there is no 216/57mm shock available for aftermarket. Maybe this can be done by custom-order ... ?

I have no Rune and no experience with a shorter shock, but my thoughts on this:

1.) A 200/57mm shock will affect the geometry = super slack. I´m not sure if even the steepest flip chip-setting could solve this problem.
    2.) You have to go with a possibly very different shock-setup, as you need less sag, plus you have a change in the leverage-ratio = more towards the linear beginning or towards the more progressive end.
    3.) Maybe reducing the fork travel should help to get the geometry right again.
    4.) 650B-wheels could prevent the bb from being too low.