Thread: Rune stoke!

mtbr member

Rune stoke!

Just thought I would share my stokeage for my Rune lately, at 5 months post-shim on a new frame that was only 1 month old at the time. In the past when I shimmed the pivot/frame on Runes, the frames ended up failing or cracking within about a month's time, but not this time. I am here to say that after doing the "fix", my Rune frame has been trouble free and totally have a new love for the bike. It truly feels like a "super bike" to me, just perfect for the terrain I like to ride and fits me pretty much perfectly while running a large frame w/-1.0* external HS cups (HAS) for my 1.5" steered fork (Lyrik 160 RC2 solo air DH fork) resulting in a 66* HTA, 71* STA, 13.7" BB, and 46.2" BB. The bike just tracks and rails phenomenally now and can pedal anything I need to. Loving this bike as of late again, just thought I would share a little praise for the Rune!

Nothing too inspiring riding wise, but here's a clip on some nice singletrack from my ride on Halloween on a really nice fall day here in the NW. Syncline Pasture Trail on Vimeo. I'm loving my bike and just want to ride it every day! No need to want to look elsewhere for me at this time!

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    So cool. Fast!

Truly are fun bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    in a fit of rage directed at my magura thor fork (y u no progressive!?) i tore my hardtail down and sold said fork, leaving the rune as my only offroad bike for the past 2 months. no problem, she's responded brilliantly: dragging my ass up comfortably numb, shuttle duty across BC, weekly shore rides, etc. - rarely had me wishing for a lighter xc bike despite my xc proclivities and occasional greyhound riding partners. came to me about half a year ago having been assembled and aligned wrong at the factory, but after a quick hack fix there's narry a creak or a whimper as i wait patiently for the new/updated? swing-arm-and-link-kits to arrive. i don't believe in "one bike" for the type of riding and area that i ride in - and if i did it would be a hardtail, as i'm facing the prospect of a week off the bike to get my shock service - but the rune's been handling that duty for a while now... with authority!

i put a cc angleset on when i built her up, knocking the hta just south of 66*, which i originally had mixed feelings about in tight, technical terrain. but i barely notice it now in such conditions, while confidence at speed and on steeps has taken a boost - so maybe slacking her out in the redesign isn't a bad idea (and steepening the seat tube, lowering the bottom bracket, etc.)

bottom line, (still) very stoked on this bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Just thought I would share my stokeage for my Rune lately, at 5 months post-shim on a new frame that was only 1 month old at the time. In the past when I shimmed the pivot/frame on Runes, the frames ended up failing or cracking within about a month's time, but not this time. I am here to say that after doing the "fix", my Rune frame has been trouble free and totally have a new love for the bike. It truly feels like a "super bike" to me, just perfect for the terrain I like to ride and fits me pretty much perfectly while running a large frame w/-1.0* external HS cups (HAS) for my 1.5" steered fork (Lyrik 160 RC2 solo air DH fork) resulting in a 66* HTA, 71* STA, 13.7" BB, and 46.2" BB. The bike just tracks and rails phenomenally now and can pedal anything I need to. Loving this bike as of late again, just thought I would share a little praise for the Rune!

Nothing too inspiring riding wise, but here's a clip on some nice singletrack from my ride on Halloween on a really nice fall day here in the NW. Syncline Pasture Trail on Vimeo. I'm loving my bike and just want to ride it every day! No need to want to look elsewhere for me at this time!

JG
    not sure what you mean by shimming your bike, Did you get the much anticipated Banshee "repair kit" for your pivots. What exactly was going on with the frame?

mtbr member
    Nah, just the "self repair kit" by using an old bushing, cutting off the end flange, filing it down smooth and glueing ("gorilla glue") to the inside of pivot/frame interface to take up the bit of play that was there despite new bushings, axle, etc. In the past, my frames didn't seem to last much longer after I did the shim fix, but so far so good with this frame and really stoked on the performance of the frame as a whole for the riding I like to do the majority of the time.

Just thought I would shout some positive praise of the bike, especially since it a lot of what you hear is the all the problems people are having with their VF4b bikes on here so it seems.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Keith or Jay or any Banshee rep:
    Any idea on when the repair kits will be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiawatha-de View Post
    Keith or Jay or any Banshee rep:
    Any idea on when the repair kits will be available?
    Sounds unconfirmed at this point, but definitely something they are stressing at this point to make available for existing owners ASAP from Keith's reply three days ago in another thread below.

"We had an issue with what the supplier provided not meeting our standards, so are quickly sorting out other options... we are working on it at full throttle"
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    True dat! Just wanna get my pivots fixed and back to riding. Wanna get back to the banshee stoke.