mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rune Shock Mount Play

Hello,

I'm experiencing some play on my front shock mount on my Rune.
    I thought it was due to the bushings so I changed them but in fact there's some play between the mounting bolt and the frame.

I don't know if it's due to a worn bolt or an ovalized axle hole on the front triangle.
    Anyone has already experienced such a thing ?

mtbr member
    make sure everything is tight, if it isn't, tighten everything to spec and see if the play persists. if it does, pull the front shock mount bolts and look to see if the holes are ovalized. if they aren't, slide the shock out of the front mount, grab the bushings, and see if they move independent of the front shock eyelet (they obviously shouldn't, if they do, you either have worn bushings or a severely worn out shock eyelet and DESPERATELY need to get the shock serviced). if that isn't it, just for kicks, check the shock mount on the rocker, I had that come loose on me during a ride and couldn't work out what the play was until I noticed the bolt rattling ever so slightly when I stopped to look (it will periodically work it's way back loose, really need to either get after it with antiseize or a drop or two of blue threadlock...)
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have you checked that the washer is still in place between the shock bolt and the frame. If you have forgotten to put the washer back (or didn;t notice it falling off when you last took it apart) then the bolt will bottom out before fully tight and so you will not be able to tighten it up properly.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    This worked for mine. I added a thin washer between the bolt head and the shock mount tab and the shock snugged right up.

Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Have you checked that the washer is still in place between the shock bolt and the frame. If you have forgotten to put the washer back (or didn;t notice it falling off when you last took it apart) then the bolt will bottom out before fully tight and so you will not be able to tighten it up properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I added 2 washers between both bolt heads and with some more thightening the play is gone.

And now I can feel a play in the lower rocker bushings Let's go change it.

Thanks for the advices