Thread: Rune Rear Shock

Shortcutting Hikabiker

Rune Rear Shock

I'm thinking about putting an RP23 on my Rune, is the bike better off with a HV shock or the regular version? Anyone with personal experience?

The ISX6 I currently have is on it's way out. A few months ago started squeeking some on certain hits (sounds like air in the damper or something) and now there is a more than normal amount of oil on the shock shaft, after my last ride it looked wet. Never been super impressed with the shock so I think it's time for a change!
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    I'm thinking about putting an RP23 on my Rune, is the bike better off with a HV shock or the regular version? Anyone with personal experience?

The ISX6 I currently have is on it's way out. A few months ago started squeeking some on certain hits (sounds like air in the damper or something) and now there is a more than normal amount of oil on the shock shaft, after my last ride it looked wet. Never been super impressed with the shock so I think it's time for a change!
    Skip the RP23 then. Look at a Pushed Monarch if you want an air shock. Fox air shocks are lacking IMHO

mtbr member
    I'm going to be swapping my Xfusion vector HLR coil for the Xfusion Vector air model- it's supposed to be an amazing shock, I've been extremely impressed with the coil model, but looking to lose a good amount of weight with the switch to an air shock.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Ok, lol, high volume or regular is the question.

mtbr member
    If you're riding the rune like it's meant to be ridden, HV hands down.

mtbr member
    A high volume canister on a Rune is not something I would do, unless you ride your Rune more for XC, than anything else. You'd be blowing through your travel on drops and big hits.

mtbr member
    Sorry, got a bit confused. I'd look at something with a piggyback boost valve- more adjustability, especially against bottoming out as Juan pointed out.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    You can always start with a HV can and internally shim it down to a smaller volume. A couple of my buddies have done this with great success, shimming is a 5-minute job plus it's actually cheaper than replacing the can.

Here's an article on shimming...

Figure rider weight in too...smaller volume= lower shock pressure... so heavier riders might prefer the small can and lighter riders might prefer the larger can.

I've had some dog fox air shocks, but also have found that if you get the right can size for your frame and rider weight, and the right compression tuning, they can be awesome. Plus they are available used for dirt cheap (well under $200 for rp23's) and are easily serviceable.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just say no! When I had my Rune I got a push'd Monarch for it. I tried both cans with it, first the HV (also tried the shims too) and then the LV can. No matter what I did the shock would bottom super easy unless I had a large amount of pressure (it became a hardtail). The Rune requires a shock with a good piggyback to control the bottom out.

Chris

mtbr member
    i ended up getting a RS monarch (not the pushed version, medium/medium tune). Although I have both that and an elka coil; not sure I'd want it for everything

my take on the RS monarch is: I like it and would suggest it over a HV for most types of riding. As expected the small bump sensitivity (bigtime worse than dhxa) and tracking at highest speeds (a little worse than dhxa) is not near the coil or even as good as dhxA. as chris said he felt it turned the bike into a hardtail...i agree on the climbs. both in terms of climbing ease and harshness feeling every little trail bump

However, the pros are nice: its ridic light compared to the elka. Obviously it makes grinder climbs easier and faster but its so light it made the bike feel much more lively and maneuverable. The other thing I liked is that you always know where the rear wheel is on takeoffs and landings. my DHXa would basically blow through travel then prevent a bottom out at the end, which felt plusher but was not confidence inspiring on drops and steep tech. i'd describe the RS as a more positive linear feel. i have not had an issue with bottoming out on mine...chris what tune did you get?

i've ridden the RS enough to say i like it better than DHXa...i'll give up the plushness for a bike that i think handles better for most terrrain. for me the jury is still out on the elka since i've still waiting to get the right spring. based on an initial ride with too soft a spring, i have high expectations. It seems like having these two shocks will make it two different bikes

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I've had some dog fox air shocks, but also have found that if you get the right can size for your frame and rider weight, and the right compression tuning, they can be awesome. Plus they are available used for dirt cheap (well under $200 for rp23's) and are easily serviceable.
    Yeah there is one in the classifieds for $125 right now. Might just pull the trigger on it.

dft
    mtbr member
    one question about the monarch. i'm looking at it (while changing my bike from 2x10 to 1x10), can you ramp up the compression a shitload to almost make it lock out? since i will have 1x10 i will be standing alot more on climbs and the rune is a good climber but sucks when standing up. if i can essentially get a locked out shock, i'll consider going 1x10!
    thanks

mtbr member
    i have an opposite perspective on that issue: i think the rune pedals great standing and even more so now that im 1x9 even with a completely active shock as long as youre not in granny gear. the harder the gear ratio, the less smooth your pedal stoke can be and still no pedal bob

However, i think the RS will fit the bill for what youre talking about. the RS has 3 compression damping settings: L, M, and High. for me, even on the low setting i feel a VERY firm pedal platform. (ie: to the point of feeling almost every bump while seated climbing). i find the adjustments very noticeable too

i'd be interested if you ended up going with a different tune option...i think i got the right one for the rune but it was the best price at the time my old shock died so i didnt give it much thought