Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    powered by bacon

rune pedal kick when suspension compresses

I have heard of people having pedal feedback when climbing with a small granny gear, but I get a really annoying kick whenever i go off a drop or the rear suspension compresses while coasting. It makes the hub engage very hard, makes a ton of noise, and its starting to get on my nerves. Is there any way to cure this?

I am running 1x10, with a 11-36 cassette, 32t chainring,and short cage sram derailer.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Mine doesn't do that. In the granny... yeah sometimes, but not in the middle.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Iím running an identical drivetrain (edit- although I'm running a mid-cage), and have never noticed anything like that. But Iím confused by your post:

Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    but I get a really annoying kick whenever i go off a drop or the rear suspension compresses while coasting. It makes the hub engage very hard, makes a ton of noise, and its starting to get on my nerves.
    Usually when people speak of pedal kickback, itís while they are pedaling. Iím not sure how you would feel it while coasting. Wondering if youíre feeling something else- suspension spiking or drivetrain issues?
    Last edited by FM; 01-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Freehub body might be locking up?

powered by bacon
    thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thoughts?

Thats normal for a bike with that much chain growth.
    I noticed the kick landing jumps when I first got the bike, but no longer.
    The feedback while climbing in granny is always noticeable

mtbr member
    if it wasnt for the hub noise i would think it would be rebound set too fast. possibly some kind of hub issue??

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It's really hard to say, your cassette is spinning backwards as the suspension compresses... obviously that wouldn't happen while riding the bike with your feet on the pedals.

One thing I can say for certain... if you are coasting, you should not be feeling any kickback through your pedals when the suspension compresses. The derailer would be absorbing the chain growth, and your freehub wouldn't be engaged so the cranks aren't under chain tension. Pedaling is a different story...

Pure speculation here: perhaps the the rune requires a mid-cage r. derailuer to absorb the amount of chain growth caused by suspension compression, with your gearing & chainguide? But if that was the case, I'd suspect you would be going through rear derailuer hangers frequently....

However, aside from your short cage derailuer, we have identical drivetrains and I've never felt any kickback while coasting.

chainline and freehub drag are some other possibilities... pure speculation (what else is the intraweb goof for eh?)

mtbr member
    Remove your chain and compress your suspension like in the video. My guess is its your hub.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Looks like the freehub is dragging

powered by bacon
    FM, it's more the noise than a feeling in the pedals. I don't always feel it. It's hard to explain but more than a few people I ride with have commented on the noise after following me down a rough section of trail.

I took the hub apart and cleaned/lubed it, we'll see if that helps.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    FM, it's more the noise than a feeling in the pedals.
    I took the hub apart and cleaned/lubed it, we'll see if that helps.
    Right on. Hub/ freehub OH is the logical place to start....swapping wheels with a buddy might help you isolate the problem too.
    Bad chainline (too many spacers) and/or dragging pulley in your chainguide could also be potential culprits.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    If it's just a noise it could be something totally different all together.