mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rune Newbie - Bushing advice

Hey all,

so I recently pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand Rune frame, even after reading all the neg comments on here regarding the bushings I thought it was worth a try. The frame is in really good shape but the bushings had been a little neglected so the rear end had a little movement side-to-side. The seller included a wear kit with the frame and some spare bushings.

So I removed the old bushing, most of which were worn out and installed new ones all round. The axles looked a bit worn so I installed the new keronite axles. All of them fitted fine (the seattube pivot axle was even a little loose in the new bushings. Normal?). But the main BB axle required a good bit of "persuasion" with the rubber mallet to go through. Once everything was in place the rear end had zero wiggle.

But squishing the rear end with no shock in place feels nasty. Whats happening is the main axle rotating a little because the axle's key has enough room to move within its hole in the frame. This small amount of movement becomes an inch or so at the rear wheel. Once the key can rotate no further in its hole the axle obviously stops rotating and the rear end feels pretty stiff. A noticable "thunk" can be felt through the frame.

So long-story-short = is this rotation of the axle/key normal? If there was less/no friction between axle and bushings would I not notice this thunk?

I hope that all makes sense! Any advice and similar experience much appreciated.

PS: the bike is looking awesome. Pics to come soon.

Cheers!

Paste eater
    Not normal. Sounds like a bunk frame, but I'm bias.

My Rune Bushings...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My frame isn't like that, despite plenty of abuse.

The good news is, the axle keys into the swing link, not the frame. So your frame may be OK... see if you can get another swinglink, and ride the bike until it arrives- I can't see how you'd damage the frame or axles by riding it that way in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks... I think. So you're saying the axle key should lock the axle in place and not allow it to rotate at all?

Paste eater
    I would certainly think so! Did the wear kit, new bushings get rid of you play?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys, yeah Jwind the wear kit got rid of all play. Good advice FM, I'm off to disassemble everything and have a look at the key and its hole in the swing link. Then I'll know if its really worn etc.

Good news is the buyer said they'd take the frame back if its damaged, but after all the time invested in building it up I'd rather just fix it!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Looking at JWinds thread.... I don't believe my swingarm was keyed as his was... only my swinglink (Main BB axle). Note, that's how I described it when I documented my bushing replacement.

Jwinds Frame:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not really sure I understand your post but the only point of the key ( to my knowledge) is to make it simple to tighten the bolt from the other side without the opposite side spinning. Technically you could grind the key off and the suspension would still be 100% mechanically sound. While you don't wan't the axle spinning in the frame as it would cause wear, it would take a LOT of force to make this happen. I would undo the axle and use something with high friction ( glue, JB weld, epoxy etc) to prevent the axle from spinning in the frame. Also make sure the axle spins in the bushings well and you don't have the pivot to tight.