mtbr member

Rune at 67 degrees.

I am currently running an -1.5 degree angle set on my rune. I have done so since it was built. So I have no idea how this bike rides in stock HA trim. I thought that I liked it in this configuration but am realizing how much the bike under-steers and steers like a mack truck in the tight trails I ride. But it is great when things get fast and chunky.

I am considering going to a standard headset or just going to the -.5 degree cup. What I want to know is how stable at speed is this bike in stock trim? I run a 170mm fork with a 555mm A2C.

Has anyone here swapped out an angle set to a standard headset giving you stock angles? Did you like the results? Did you even notice a change?

Im concerned with losing high speed stability.

Edit: The HA is at around 65 degrees as it sits right now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i ran it with stock headangle before, and now with -1.5 angleset.
    the stock angle was not my thing, in no condition...

my rune is not understeering - maybe your stem is a bit on the overly short side (40mm?)

mtbr member
    im likely about to try it myself after also running 170 and -1.5*. i have a float so its easy to adjust my travel too. first ive lowered the fork to 160 and then ill ditch the angleset if i feel compelled. i am starting to think ,after 2yrs, that running the bike at the intended settings will make it the most versatile (wow, what a novel idea?!)

going 150 was a BAD idea...it did help in tech and railed corners like a 4x but it was far too much of a compromise when the trail got really chunky

i have never tried 170 and stock HA, but for a while when i first got it i had 180mm and 67*...i did not feel that it was well balanced in that setting and that means not ideal for tech

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode my 2011 rune with a stock headset, and a 180mm fork, and i really liked it through techy trail sections, though i felt like it could be slightly slacker at speed, although i wouldnt say it handled poorly. The new 2012 frame is 1 degree slacker so it should be perfect for me (i got the 2012 on warranty) but i haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet.

personally for me, 65 would be much too slack riding the north shore trails in BC. Ideal HA for my style is between 66 - 67 degrees. so maybe try your -.5 headset?