Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paste eater

rear tire clearance on rune (2.4 ardent?)

WIll a 2.4 arden fit ok. Me thinks yes, don't have real world measurements...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i shall think so... schwalbe 2.4 tires are of similar volume, and they fit easily
    2.5 minion as well, about 1cm of clearance all around...

Paste eater
    meh, took the chance and just ordered 2. I can tell you, my (older version) aDvantage 2.4 do NOT fit. Those things are huge tho. My (Older) minion 2.5 3C fits with ease. However, that thing is tiny for it's claimed 2.5.

all day long
    Jwind, you'll be fine. I'm running 2.6 Ardents all around on my Rune. I have more than enough clearance. With that said, I've yet to give an opinion on whether I like them or not. My favorite combo is Minion DHF and Highroller 2, but I got these Ardents for dirt cheap.
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by DickemDown View Post
    Jwind, you'll be fine. I'm running 2.6 Ardents all around on my Rune. I have more than enough clearance. With that said, I've yet to give an opinion on whether I like them or not. My favorite combo is Minion DHF and Highroller 2, but I got these Ardents for dirt cheap.
    It seems as though there is some serious varying onions on this tire between sizes. I do like the minions. They do role a bit slow for the back in particular. Mine are actually the silly heavy 3C 2.5s.

I switched to the older non-exo 2.4(huge) and 2.25 aDvantage. Like those alright too, thoy're just flimsy. Doesn't take long to burn through those down here in Moab. Hoping these ardents are a good middle ground.

mtbr member
    2011 Rune here and tried Ardent Exo 2.4's front and rear. Fine on front (Lyrik, more than enough room) absolutely a no go on the rear. The tire tread hit the lower chain stay yoke and a good amount of additional room was needed before getting the axle/skewer into the drops.

Paste eater
    How is it the 2.6s fit and the 2.4s don't?

mtbr member
    I have no idea how it could be larger than a 2.6. I've never seen or used a 2.6, but the 2.4 is very tall and It was at least 1/4" from fitting into the dropouts when I tried it. I ended up using the 2.25 Ardent Exo on the rear and the combo has worked out great so far.

Paste eater
    This dude used them too.That's 2 yes and 1 no?

mtbr member
    Did you try 2.4s and 2.6s? I'm wondering if the 2.4 is a physically taller tire. They're actually bigger than I expected them to be, but they are tall and not all that wide (at least imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    This dude used them too.That's 2 yes and 1 no?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03 View Post
    Did you try 2.4s and 2.6s? I'm wondering if the 2.4 is a physically taller tire. They're actually bigger than I expected them to be, but they are tall and not all that wide (at least imo).
    No, I just ordered them. Wondering If I should switch them up for a minion or 2.25. What rims were you using? And what's the difference between EXO and Maxpro?

Paste eater
    well, to late. Shipped. Guess I can hock 'em on ebay after I make sure you're not full of sh!t :P

mtbr member
    Ha Ha. Unless I have a Rune with the rear tri built out of spec, it's probably not going to fit. I sold the second to a friend who wanted to try it on the front and put the 2.25 on the rear. The 2.25 is a huge tire for a 2.25.

Paste eater
    Meh. I really hate tire shopping. Why can't they get it together with sizes? I understand a bit of fluctuation in height/width but it's really just out of control. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Ardent 2.4 is a huge tyre, compared to the Minion 2.5, which is more like a 2.3 in most other tyre manufacturers catalogue. The 2.25 Ardent is pretty close in size to the 2.5 Minion. The 2.5 Minion will definitely fit the Rune, the 2.4 Ardent, I'm not too sure...

all day long
    Not sure how a 2.4 is larger than a 2.6. Maybe my 2.6's are mismarked? Anyway, I'm running 2.6 3c Ardents mounted to Hadleys on Stans Flow rims. My Rune is a 2011. Here are some pics:

all day long
    It seems as though there is some serious varying onions on this tire between sizes. I do like the minions. They do role a bit slow for the back in particular. Mine are actually the silly heavy 3C 2.5s.

I switched to the older non-exo 2.4(huge) and 2.25 aDvantage. Like those alright too, thoy're just flimsy. Doesn't take long to burn through those down here in Moab. Hoping these ardents are a good middle ground.
    I agree with the DHF in rear (DHF's all around used to be my favorite combo), but I went with a HR2 in the rear. It took a little getting used to, but it transitions from side to side quicker. DHF/HR2 is what I'm rocking on my Jedi. I presume I'll do the same to the Rune when it's time for new kicks.

Paste eater
    I've got both coming now. I have flow rims as well. Those 2.6 are big and heavy. Like 1200grams right? I have an old 2.5 3C Minion that I have had on the back of my Rune with plenty of room. It's just a beefcake and rolls slow. I climb a lot with my Rune and it was just a little too much. Was hoping for for something 800-900 grams.

We'll see. If it sucks, I may very well crawl back to the minion.

all day long
    Probably a little heavier than 1200 grams, but I'm not counting. You'll definitely feel the difference in rotational weight versus the Exo compound. I'm around 35 lbs and was around 33.5 lbs w/ Minion Exo's. I ditched the Exo's when I blew the tire off of the rim doing a pinner drop, and I mean pinner. I was running it tubeless, so I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if I had tubes, but I run tubeless on all my bikes.

mtbr member
    How is it the 2.6s fit and the 2.4s don't?
    rim size could do it. also wheel stiffness can determine if your wheel will bend and scrape the stays in the heat of the moment

i had 2.4 ardents on my rune at one point and they fit fine. i didnt have my flow rim back then but i still think its fine.

one poster commented about not having space to get the rotor in place with the tire hitting the frame... thats because youre going to need to take your axle all the way out while youre getting the wheel in place

mtbr member
    I didn't try removing the axle on mine. The tire hit way before I could get the rotor anywhere near fitting into the caliper so I just pulled it off and ordered a 2.25 Ardent for the back. Instead of removing the entire axle, couldn't you simply let the air out of the tire, install the wheel and re-inflate the tire? If this works, I might give the 2.4 a try on the back again.

BTW, the wheel set is Hope Pro II Evo with Stans Flows.

Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    rim size could do it. also wheel stiffness can determine if your wheel will bend and scrape the stays in the heat of the moment

i had 2.4 ardents on my rune at one point and they fit fine. i didnt have my flow rim back then but i still think its fine.

one poster commented about not having space to get the rotor in place with the tire hitting the frame... thats because youre going to need to take your axle all the way out while youre getting the wheel in place

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by DickemDown View Post
    Probably a little heavier than 1200 grams, but I'm not counting. You'll definitely feel the difference in rotational weight versus the Exo compound. I'm around 35 lbs and was around 33.5 lbs w/ Minion Exo's. I ditched the Exo's when I blew the tire off of the rim doing a pinner drop, and I mean pinner. I was running it tubeless, so I'm sure it wouldn't have happened if I had tubes, but I run tubeless on all my bikes.
    I typically run tubeless, but the DHF EXO's are too thin & squirmy to be ridden hard tubeless IMO. However, with tubes, they are GREAT- that's what I have on my Rune, also on flow rims. Personally I'll take the EXO with a tube, over the other heavier tires I've ran which worked well tubeless, but didn't have the grip or light weight of the DHF EXO.

Paste eater
    From all this feedback, I think I'm going to mount up the 2.25 in the back tubeless. It's not that I don't like a bigger tires. It's just that if it gets to big, things start getting a bit squirmy, especially on all the off camber rock we have around here.

Paste eater
    Ok, it's official. Qfactor is, in fact, on crack! I took a Maxxis aDvantage 2.25 off and the Ardent 2.25 is considerably smaller. The 2.4 is approximately the same size and there is all sorts of room. I'm going to give the 2.25 a few rides, but I have a feeling I'm going to eventually go 2.4 all around.

mtbr member
    Did you have to install the wheel with the tire deflated? I'll try again this evening after work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast