mtbr member

Questions for Prime Prototesters

I'm 6'0", right near the low end of the height range for a large. Pretty much every bike that I have/had I am right near that point, I always opt for large but always wonder if I should have gone medium. Are there any of you testers right near a frame size/height limit that can shed some fit insight for me as to which way to go? I ride a lot of chunky technical trails in Arizona and my Prime will definitely be used in an AM manner. Also, the large Prime has a reach of 440mm, a large Paradox is 403mm. Would I be correct to assume that this extra reach does not make this frame feel long, for it's size. Thanks in advance.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm 5'-9", 33" inseam on my jeans, so take my input with a grain of salt

Anyways, the reach on my prime feels a bit longer than other bikes I have owned with similar length top tubes. Pretty sure this is due to the slack seat angle, combined with my long-ish inseam. So If I was you, I would consider your inseam & saddle height, make sure you can get full seat height with the seatpost of your choice on a medium. If you can, I'd go that route, you'll get the benefits of a shorter wheelbase, and you'll get extra reach with the seat up due to the slack angles.

I'm sure you're dig it either way!

beater
    At first glance, I thought you wrote "Prime Protesters" and thought, wow, really?

I was on the cusp between L and XL. The short version is that I chose the L and am very glad I did. The reach is only 5-8mm longer than other L frames I've had, but the stack height is considerably lower, and I didn't want to be too cramped or hunched. I'm a different extreme - I have FM's 33" legs under a 6'3" body.

Obviously the reach measurement is real, so if 440mm sounds way long to you, it probably would be. I think FM's advice is spot-on. With a frame of this category, smaller makes it easier to use the whole cockpit while being able to work the bike around. And that style of riding doesn't require you to stay comfortably in one position for extended periods, so the fit doesn't have to be quite as exacting.

You're gonna be perma-stoked.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Evasive, the only "Protester" is my wife. It seems that I build a new bike every year and a half or so, and she always tells me that this is the last one. Of course I say "Yes Dear".

I have a CAD program on my computer, last night I spent some time overlaying the geometries of my El Mariachi, my Paradox, and the medium and large Prime. The medium Prime is actually quite similar to the large Paradox, as far as cockpit goes, you're just located about 12mm further back. The rear wheel is about 60mm further back, that must be where the climbing ability comes from, my Paradox is real light in the front when climbing.

So, all things considered, I concur that the medium is the frame for me. Even though I'll be technically outside of the height range, I see nothing that indicates that I'll be cramped. I also see nothing that indicates that climbing would suffer, and I agree that I should be more able to move around.

I will build this, I'm just waiting for production. Last bike? Yes Dear.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    I will build this, I'm just waiting for production. Last bike? Yes Dear.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If it helps I'm 6'1"of average inseam and arm length and I don't feel the large is any where close to too large
    bikesonburke

MTB B'dos
    Bit late to the thread, but if it helps any, here's my thoughts......I'm taller than you,always ride an XL/25"> ETT and as such put myself down for said XL when asked what size. In the waiting for the frame I began to question if that decision was right, I mean the WB would be over 3" longer than my Paradox XL, a whopping 48.25", would it feel like a pig, should I have gotten the L instead??? Well I received my XL, built it up and to my amazement (not Keith's, he said stick to my original choice, it's be right) it handled fantastic, didn't feel too big, felt as nimble as the Paradox somehow.

Now looking at it is another story, the thing is HUGE, but once I'm on it and pedaling I don't notice it, most amazingly on tight stuff I'm actually clearing more stuff than on the Paradox I say stick to what you know and if you normally go for L with a short stem, stick to that. Me right now running a 70mm/6 degree stem flipped with a 785mm low rise FUNN Fatboy bar, used to run a 750mm bar and 90mm stem on the Paradox that has the same ETT, but slightly shorter front centre.
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-08-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics