mtbr member

Q re: Elka & Rune

I found an awesome deal on an elka from a buddy.

his elka is tuned for a wildcard, though. he is only about 10-15lbs lighter than me, so if all else was equal im sure his spring would suit me fine.

would the recommended spring weight be much different for a wildcard vs a Rune?

what about the custom tune? im more concerned with the spring weight since the custy tune is something i could get fixed later if warranted

still new to the world of coil; cant wait

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was saying today that I wish everyone could feel what it is like to ride a rune with a custom tuned ELKA like I have. It is unlike anything that anyone has ever ridden I am almost sure of it!

Get it....you won't be disappointed!

HOLLA!!!

mtbr member
    OH HO, im DEF getting it regardless. im just wondering ill need to pick up a new spring

im all pumped up about it

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Download all the info you need of Elka's site

By the looks of it, the Rune and Wildcard take the same MC30 & MR30 compression and rebound valving, so you shouldn't need a retune. The wildcard springrates seem to be 50lbs lighter, so if your buddy is 15lbs lighter, you may be OK... or may need to go up 50lbs.

In general- regardless of brand- I've had the best experience with custom tuned shocks when I called them up and talked to them. In other words, Elka suggests the MC30/MR30 tuning for the rune and wildcard regardless of rider weight and style. But when I called, they asked me a bunch of questions about my riding style & trails, what I liked & disliked with suspension... which makes me think there's two levels of custom: tuned generically for your bike (regardless of rider), and truly custom tuned for the bike and rider weight + riding style.

This was typical of my experince with Push (and Avy too) by the way.

PS, the rune+elka combo is freaking sweet.

mtbr member
    thanks! looks like i'll likely need to bump up another 50#

mtbr member
    Hi there rune owners...Iam setting up a 2009 M size rune and wanna swap the fox DHX air to an Elka Stage 5(after hearing good things about it)...Thing is..this is my first exp with coil and i dunno bout the spring rate...Neway 6f, 270lbs rider here.Also gonna use a 160 coil fork upfront, if this info helps.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    Hi there rune owners...Iam setting up a 2009 M size rune and wanna swap the fox DHX air to an Elka Stage 5(after hearing good things about it)...Thing is..this is my first exp with coil and i dunno bout the spring rate...Neway 6f, 270lbs rider here.Also gonna use a 160 coil fork upfront, if this info helps.

Thanks.
    do you have it yet? if not when you order elka will recommend a spring rate for your weight.

mtbr member
    check out the link in FMs post. it will tell you exactly the weight you need.

shoosh, im still waiting on my elka...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies....Today virgin ride and the DHX air near to bottom out lol...riding on a mellow singletrack.....coil coil coil...give meeeee

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lazymuf....how does the medium fit your needs....seems to be waaaay to small for your stature. But hey as long as you like the way it rides!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    Lazymuf....how does the medium fit your needs....seems to be waaaay to small for your stature. But hey as long as you like the way it rides!
    Was asking for a large at my local LBS but was pushed on a medium plus a very very good deal on a 2009 frame...So i jumped on it and my first few rides yeah i find it small...now trying a 90mm stem from a 70mm and it that didnt work gonna try a setback seatpost and a hi riser bar...currently using a .5inch rise Race face Atlas AM bar....Tot of getting a midrise likie a 28mm Rethal Fatbar...Anyone any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Was asking for a large at my local LBS but was pushed on a medium plus a very very good deal on a 2009 frame...So i jumped on it and my first few rides yeah i find it small...now trying a 90mm stem from a 70mm and it that didnt work gonna try a setback seatpost and a hi riser bar...currently using a .5inch rise Race face Atlas AM bar....Tot of getting a midrise likie a 28mm Rethal Fatbar...Anyone any suggestions?
    i' swap front triangles with you. mine's a white large its not as new but its all in perfect shape (since all the bushing related stuff is related to the pivots/swingarm). i'm an in-between size and the climbs aren't as bad where I live now, so i've been interested to see if a M would be more flickable for me

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies....Today virgin ride and the DHX air near to bottom out lol...riding on a mellow singletrack.....coil coil coil...give meeeee
    do you have an elka?

Paste eater
    FM: How much does your rune weigh now

lazymuf: You must have some weird settings on your DHX air. I'm sure it's not as plash as a coil, but i've taken some big hits with mine and never bottomed.

mtbr member
    Qbert - no elka yet
    Jwind - I guess so...now playing around with the settings....can i pump the DHX air up to 300PSI?

ride the biscuit - PMed

mtbr member
    Qbert - no elka yet
    Jwind - I guess so...now playing around with the settings....can i pump the DHX air up to 300PSI?

ride the biscuit - PMed
    i've got one i'll be putting up in the classifieds in the next day or so. it's tuned for a rune

Paste eater
    Qbert - no elka yet

ride the biscuit - PMed
    I think so,the Bottom out rez is really what's going to help you. if you want a softer ride you can run more sag and high BO pressure. I've been thinking about a coil for some time, but unfortunately do a whole lot of climbing with mine... we'll see

306362_10150900487735710_675135709_21615244_127202  3776_n

amasadrop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    but unfortunately do a whole lot of climbing with mine... we'll see
    yeah me too. thats why i was thinking of keeping the DHXa around after getting my elka...either that or selling and picking up a low volume like rp23 or monarch for use only on the real pedalfests.

ive setup my dhx a bunch of different ways. for really fast rough trails i think the high bottom out / low main chamber setup is not as good because it blows through most of its travel and harshly reaches the bottom out chamber on most hits. i do like that setting on slower tech trails

Paste eater
    I keep the main canister neither high or low for the most part. If I'm on a more XC day, i'll just run the pro pedal a little more.