mtbr member

Pyre vs. Spitfire

Hi Guys

I'm in the market for a new "trail" bike and I have been looking for information on these two models. Did the Spitfire "replace" the Pyre? What are the differences between these two models? Also what is the proper pronunciation of Pyre, does it rhyme with buyer?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    to the extent of my knowledge, the spitfire replaced the pyre. it was in the interest of making the bike a bit more aggressive in the geo department, tweaking a few things here and there (i.e. tapered HT vs straight 1.125 on the pyre). Keith (builttoride) would be able to tell you everything, but I think that's a lot of it.

I can't help but recommend the spitfire though. seriously sweet bike, and I love it more and more every time I point it down a hill. I'm also continually surprised by how well it climbs with and open shock and weighing 3 lbs more than the old bike (namely, it climbs as well or better)

and as far as I'm concerned, it's pronounced like buyer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    to the extent of my knowledge, the spitfire replaced the pyre. it was in the interest of making the bike a bit more aggressive in the geo department, tweaking a few things here and there (i.e. tapered HT vs straight 1.125 on the pyre). Keith (builttoride) would be able to tell you everything, but I think that's a lot of it.

I can't help but recommend the spitfire though. seriously sweet bike, and I love it more and more every time I point it down a hill. I'm also continually surprised by how well it climbs with and open shock and weighing 3 lbs more than the old bike (namely, it climbs as well or better)

and as far as I'm concerned, it's pronounced like buyer.
    Yes. That is what I've been able to gather, the Spitfire has been designed toward a little more downhill ability. I have noticed a real trend in a lot of manufactures product lately with reference to their trail bikes downhill "improvements" and the push to 5+" of travel. For my general terrain and riding I don't see a lot of downhill action and a 4" travel bike is what I think would suit my needs. I can still find 09 Pyre frames around and am thinking this might actually be a better "fit" for me.
    Thanks for you response.

mtbr member
    Don't get the Spitfire wrong! Yes, the geo has been tweaked from the Pyre to make it more of a do all trail bike. It climbs like a mountain goat and absolutely shreds trails. Yes, it is slacker and lower, meaning that it is more downhill friendly, but you'd be stupid to think it is a 5 inch downhill bike. Basically it is a super fun bike to ride that feels really dialled when thrashing out trails.

Most trail/AM bikes have evolved from XC bikes with more travel, meaning super steep head angles and stiff suspension. The Spitfire is the "new school" with geometry that allows you to do anything and a bullet proof design to allow you to build it how you want.

I've built my Spitfire as a Trail Slayer with a "big build" on it, while my wife's Spitfrie is pure XC racer - albeit with that sweet dialled in geometry.

I raced a Pyre for a year and all I can say is the Spitfire is WAY MORE BIKE!! Don't waste your time on the Pyre.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I think Cooch makes a good point. Although the Spitfire is very comfortable pointed DH, it has it's limitations. I would think of it more as a XC Trailbike done correctly. As was mentioned, it climbs really well and thus you get rewarded for your efforts on descents.
    Keep in mind that it's a 130mm bike which is a far cry from the more common 160 trail bikes that have flooded the market.
    If you consider Ibis's light XC bike boasts 140mm travel, I think you get the point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had them both,
    If you like to be fast and to point down take the Spity,
    If you are more of a point up person and like to ride the trail for the view and for the "love to ride" and not just for the "faster is better" then you will like more the Pyre.

Rock gardens, DH slopes adrenalin is the Spity.
    Relax ride, tech climbs and epic ride is the Pyre, but don't take it wrong it's not a GEEK BIKE

My two........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooch
    Don't get the Spitfire wrong! Yes, the geo has been tweaked from the Pyre to make it more of a do all trail bike. It climbs like a mountain goat and absolutely shreds trails. Yes, it is slacker and lower, meaning that it is more downhill friendly, but you'd be stupid to think it is a 5 inch downhill bike. Basically it is a super fun bike to ride that feels really dialled when thrashing out trails.

Most trail/AM bikes have evolved from XC bikes with more travel, meaning super steep head angles and stiff suspension. The Spitfire is the "new school" with geometry that allows you to do anything and a bullet proof design to allow you to build it how you want.

I've built my Spitfire as a Trail Slayer with a "big build" on it, while my wife's Spitfrie is pure XC racer - albeit with that sweet dialled in geometry.

I raced a Pyre for a year and all I can say is the Spitfire is WAY MORE BIKE!! Don't waste your time on the Pyre.
    i agree with Cooch!
    i think other big bike companies are starting to pay attention to the Spitfire's Trail-DH-AM-XC abilities.. i wont be surprised if there are copycat bikes from the big names next year.

our Team raced a Spitfire in last week's Thailand DH nationals just for the heck of it and guess what.. our rider came 7th in the ELITE category.. the spitfire spat fire on other bigger burlier DH bikes..

Chris clearing a 25 foot gap

rider: Chris Sampson
    ((((((((( FAKAWI )))))))))))

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    I had them both,
    If you like to be fast and to point down take the Spity,
    If you are more of a point up person and like to ride the trail for the view and for the "love to ride" and not just for the "faster is better" then you will like more the Pyre.

Rock gardens, DH slopes adrenalin is the Spity.
    Relax ride, tech climbs and epic ride is the Pyre, but don't take it wrong it's not a GEEK BIKE

My two........
    I've had both too, and personally I'm finding that the Spifire out climbs my Pyre as well as out descending it, plus the frame is a bit lighter too. I've done several 'epics' on it and find on longer rides the slacker geometry makes for a more relaxed ride on longer days in the saddle, whereas the steeper Pyre geometry required more attention.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    I've had both too, and personally I'm finding that the Spifire out climbs my Pyre as well as out descending it, plus the frame is a bit lighter too. I've done several 'epics' on it and find on longer rides the slacker geometry makes for a more relaxed ride on longer days in the saddle, whereas the steeper Pyre geometry required more attention.
    Sorry can't agree with you, ya the Sp frame is lighter but the parts are heavier.
    The Pyre feels best with 120 fork with lighter wheels and the Spity feels great with 150-160 fork on a beefier wheels.
    If there is 160 fork on your Pyre I am sure that The Spity will not be behind on a climb, but with the right parts the Pyre is a real goat.

For me It's a different bikes with a different purpose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pyre vs. Spitfire-23042010075-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    Sorry can't agree with you, ya the Sp frame is lighter but the parts are heavier.
    The Pyre feels best with 120 fork with lighter wheels and the Spity feels great with 150-160 fork on a beefier wheels.
    If there is 160 fork on your Pyre I am sure that The Spity will not be behind on a climb, but with the right parts the Pyre is a real goat.

For me It's a different bikes with a different purpose.
    I ran a 140 on my Pyre, found 120 too twitchy for my needs, I've got a revelation 150 on the Spitfire, and parts spec is pretty much identical except I run XTR cranks and 2.4 tires - overall my Spitty is about 1/2 - 3/4 lbs lighter. Most of my climbs run from 45 min to 2.5 hrs no breaks, the other day I kept on the back tire of a guy on a carbon blur who has done the Transrockies 5 times (and placed well) on the uphill and killed him on the dh, plus I've cleaned climbs I could never do on the Pyre.
    Part of this could be fitness, but I've had no climbing issues with my Spifire, DH's on the other hand are way more fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    I ran a 140 on my Pyre, found 120 too twitchy for my needs, I've got a revelation 150 on the Spitfire, and parts spec is pretty much identical except I run XTR cranks and 2.4 tires - overall my Spitty is about 1/2 - 3/4 lbs lighter. Most of my climbs run from 45 min to 2.5 hrs no breaks, the other day I kept on the back tire of a guy on a carbon blur who has done the Transrockies 5 times (and placed well) on the uphill and killed him on the dh, plus I've cleaned climbs I could never do on the Pyre.
    Part of this could be fitness, but I've had no climbing issues with my Spifire, DH's on the other hand are way more fun!
    Maybe the 20-30 mm' at the front made the difference for me.
    I had much more time on the Pyre then on the Spity so I am more tuned on it, I didn't like to point down with the Pyre and rock garden where a bit of a problem, but the all package felt like a great epic rides bike.
    On the other hand, a friend of mine (a much better rider then me) loves the Spity and feels that its the best trail bike there is.
    So its all a matter of test....

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the response. Excellent information that I can use to help make my decision.