Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Here's mine Apologies in advance for the not so good pictures. My wife decided to let my camera go on an African safari with my mother-in-law without letting me know so all I had was my iPhone and a dark garage

Frame: Raw medium
    Fork: Fox34 Float set at 140mm
    Crankset: XO with 28t spiderless MRP BlingRing and RaceFace boots
    Chainguide: E13 LG1+ modified to fit 28t ring
    Bottom Bracket: Hope ceramic
    Pedals: Spank Spike
    Seatpost: KS LEV
    Seat: brown Chromag Trailmaster
    Bars: ENVE AM
    Grips: brown ODI Rogue with blue ODI lock ons
    Stem: Chromag Ranger
    Headset: CaneCreek 40 Series
    Brakes: XTR Trail with Hope Saw rotors(7" F/6" R)
    Shifter: X9
    Derailleur: short cage X9 with KCNC sealed bearing jocky wheels
    Cassette: Sram 1070 12-36
    F Hub: American Classic 15mm
    R Hub: DT 240s with 36t upgrade and Hadley thru bolt
    Spokes: Sapim CXRay
    Rims: LightBicycle carbon AM with Bontrager Rhythm rimstrips and Stan's valves
    Tires: Specialized Ground Control 2.3
    Chain: KMC X10SL
    Seatpost Clamp: Salsa LipLock

Weight = 29.5 pounds

I still have lots of adjusting and trimming to do and I didn't get to ride her Can't wait to get her out in the woods and see what all the hype is about!

FYI for all of those who helped decide on the Medium frame... THANKS! I'm long and lanky but the Medium with the 70mm stem and post just about all the way out felt REALLY good on the neighborhood loop I can already tell I won't be too cramped and there's still room for adjustment. I'm also strongly considering going to wider bars but I figured I'd ride her a few times before I drop the coin.

Without further delay...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    WOW. That's a sweet build, very nicely done!
    Great choices on the specs....you obviously know how to build a bike.

Is that the steepest setting on the dropouts? Would love a WB measurement

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Thanks! Glad you like it.

It is indeed the steepest setting. My buddy is dropping it off at the shop tomorrow to get the brake hoses shortened and the wheels tensioned. When I get back from my work trip and have her in hand again I'll get you a wheelbase measurement Probably Monday...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    You're gonna love it

Prime
    Dammit!! I paid for mine in April, I was supposed to be the first. Dammit, dammit, dammit!!

Nice build DFY, too bad you have to work, you should be out thrashing it.

With luck, I'll be seeing mine next week. My wife has already been informed, when the frame gets here, family life goes on hold for, oh, 3 months or so. I'm going to ride, ride, ride. It's just starting to cool off here in Phoenix, the weather will be perfect for epics very soon.
    Last edited by Optimus; 10-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Nice to see them in peoples hands. Have to agree with FM, think you'll be super happy with the decision to purchase this frame Nice build, nice weight considering the pretty burly build. Will say though, don't wait, order the wider bar so when you get home from your trip it's waiting for you - best move I ever did was buy my FUNN 750mm wide bar, the the topper, buying the DH 785mm wide bar which resides on my Prime
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Prime
    I recently went from 711mm to 750mm on my Paradox, took me all of 15 minutes to forget all about the 711's. Now I've got 2 carbon and 1 aluminum Haven collecting dust on my bench and boxes from my 3 new Havocs over in the corner of the garage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sick bike !!

How tall are you?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam.

I ordered up a set of 740mm wide bars I found for cheap. Time to see what the fuss is all about

MTB B'dos
    I think you'll like the bit extra width, hope you don't have a whoile stable of bikes with narrower bars though, cause it could prove expensive BTW, if you want to try wider, I can attest to these bars being <300g, strong and sweet, but again, could prove expensive if you've got a few bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post

I ordered up a set of 740mm wide bars I found for cheap. Time to see what the fuss is all about
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Luckily, the Prime is my only bike until this winter when I build my fatbike I actually have two other parts bin bikes for my wife and best friend but they don't need modern, fancy stuff. They're fine with lightly used fancy stuff

mtbr member

740mm is not wide.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    It is when I'm not wide I'm 5'11" and weigh 160lbs so I'm not a burly, wide guy. I was looking for something wider with the intent of cutting them down if needed but got a deal on these. They're almost 2" wider than my ENVE bars which already feel really wide to me so we'll see

mtbr member
    It is when I'm not wide I'm 5'11" and weigh 160lbs so I'm not a burly, wide guy. I was looking for something wider with the intent of cutting them down if needed but got a deal on these. They're almost 2" wider than my ENVE bars which already feel really wide to me so we'll see
    Just teasing, I'm 6'4" and I won't go below Chromag's 785mm bars, and I tried to get my brother on the wide movement, but at 5'10" I finally stopped trimming his bars to a comfortable width of 720mm.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    height/weight has little to do with it...bar width is all about leverage on the front wheel. I can't think of any situations where less leverage is an advantage.

Narrow bars seem like a good idea for tight trails, but you are sacrificing bike control for clearance....

Both my prime and rune have 30" bars....28" is as narrow as Ill go. 28's on my wife's bike (my old curtlo 26" am hardtail). The narrow bars bug me every time I get on that bike.

So yeah, 740mm is good, but don't cut em!

mtbr member

And you're on a MED? I was just advised by Keith that a large would fit me best and I've got a 32" inseam. Hmmmm.

MTB B'dos
    Remember, sizing a bike is based on more than just inseam or height, but also intended usage and your body proportions. Stand over on the Primes is insane, I've let guys who should ride a SM or M ride mine and they had no issues what so ever with straddling the bike with room to spare, so maybe Keith went by other factors which are more important - ST length is the least important I think in sizing a bike. I like more stability, have Gibbon long arms and legs and love my XL, even though I'm only 6'2.25" tall, running it with a 70mm stem and 785mm wide bar - to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    And you're on a MED? I was just advised by Keith that a large would fit me best and I've got a 32" inseam. Hmmmm.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    height/weight has little to do with it...bar width is all about leverage on the front wheel. I can't think of any situations where less leverage is an advantage.

Narrow bars seem like a good idea for tight trails, but you are sacrificing bike control for clearance....

Both my prime and rune have 30" bars....28" is as narrow as Ill go. 28's on my wife's bike (my old curtlo 26" am hardtail). The narrow bars bug me every time I get on that bike.

So yeah, 740mm is good, but don't cut em!
    I agree with all the benefits of wide bars but there comes a point, with narrower shoulders, that the wrists will be uncomfortably angled. My current bars are 700mm wide with a 9 degree sweep and I'm going to 740mm with a 12 degree sweep. I'm guessing I'll like it a lot

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    5'11" is the med/lg break point. A lot of us 6 footers have been debating long and hard on whether to go larger or smaller. When you look at DFY's height vs inseam, he's all legs, from the waist up the medium probably fits him just fine, he's just pretty much maxxed on his seat post extension. LyNx on the other hand, has longer arms, he prefers the xl, and of course has the ability to run his seat post a bit shorter than what may be "typical" for an xl. Me, I'm 6' even, 32" inseam, my medium should be here this week, I expect to be running close to max seat post extension on my post of choice, the reach should be about perfect, but for my terrain and riding style I was looking for that flickability. I also ride a ride a lg Paradox, and I know that I could be comfortable on a med on that frame as well. You of course have the ability to affect cockpit length through saddle adjustments, stem length, and bar width. Depends on whether you like being stretched out or not, it's all rider preference, while of course paying appropriate attention to the manufacturers recommendations, and opinions from those with hands on experience. Of course, this is only my opinion and interpretation of others opinions.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Yea! What he said

Am I really the only person with one built??? I figured being in MO I'd be way behind you west coasters on getting my hands on one.

Prime
    Am I really the only person with one built???

Cassoulet forever !
    Nice build.

What is the weight of the bare frame ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My M, raw frame with shock and 135x10mm dropouts was 7.9lbs.

Prime
    What kind of terrain are you abusing those Ground Controls on? I have them on my single speed, and they grab pretty well, but I thought they appeared a tad narrow for a 2.3, and felt a little light weight for where I do my more adventurous riding. The new Butcher will be out soon, awesome front tire.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Lots of rocks and roots. Really technical but nothing particularly sharp or pointy I got them for $35 each so I thought I'd give them a shot. I have an FR3, some Rampages, a pair of Dampfs, Ardents, etc. lying around and may switch if these don't hold up. I'm also pretty light and a smooth rider so don't usually have tire durability issues. If I were taking an epic AZ trip, or something, I wouldn't trust the Ground Controls just yet.

By the way, the best front tire I've ever used, IMHO, is the FR3 Team Issue If it weren't so dang heavy...

Page 1 of 59 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast