Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Will those that have ridden the Turner Sultan (dw-link) compare it to the Prime?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I do like to sprint certain rough sections out of the saddle
    Oh, so do I, although I'm not enough of a gazelle to keep it up too long.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by disjointed View Post
    Will those that have ridden the Turner Sultan (dw-link) compare it to the Prime?
    I don't have much time on a Sultan, just a demo ride. My take is that although there's only 10mm difference in travel, one is a trail bike and the other is an AM bike. Both nice bikes, but in different categories, IMO.

mtbr member

MTB B'dos
    Have to agree with Evasive and MartinS, Prime climbs unreal, once you have the legs to keep it going, but that seems to feel lesser/less effort the more tech it gets and the more the suspension comes into play and you have to be moving about the cockpit clearing the climb. Love to climb myself, the more tech the better. Think the little diet Keith put the production version on should also help nicely on long climbs.

If you're wanting something that'll kill the downs and still kill the climbs, def the Prime, but as Evasive said, not an XC light bike, so legs will get work, but it's efficient.

Hello, I'm new here, but not to mountain biking. I currently have a Pivot 429 and I'm thinking of selling it to get the Prime. How well does the Prime pedal/climb. I live and ride in New Mexico and its not uncommon to do 3-4 hour technical climbs for our descents. The Pivot excels at the climbs but suffers on the way back down. Would the Prime climb well enough to be worth it?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had no problems grinding up +30min fire road grinds on Dolomites, with 28t front ring and 36 cassette, on downs kept up with 160mm trail bikes, all good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Have to agree with Evasive and MartinS, Prime climbs unreal, once you have the legs to keep it going, but that seems to feel lesser/less effort the more tech it gets and the more the suspension comes into play and you have to be moving about the cockpit clearing the climb. Love to climb myself, the more tech the better. Think the little diet Keith put the production version on should also help nicely on long climbs.

If you're wanting something that'll kill the downs and still kill the climbs, def the Prime, but as Evasive said, not an XC light bike, so legs will get work, but it's efficient.
    Sounds good to me. My Pivot must be 30ish lbs anyway. You can just really hammer on it out of the saddle and it launches up hills. When things start going down though that 72degree head angle keeps things a little sketchy... I'm 6'4" 200 lbs with a 34" inseam and love a slack bike. I grew up on dirt bikes so I'm always launching off of everything. The pivot just jumps a little weird, but 29" wheels on an XL bike does feel like I finally found a bike that fits. The Prime is just the first one I've seen that is set up like I would have a 26er.
    To me XL 26ers just look wrong. Very ill proportioned.

MTB B'dos
    I know the feeling and my friends comment to me the first time he saw me on my first 29er always sticks with me, "Hey Lynx, you finally have a bike your size, if they were to scale up my bike to the right size for you, that'd be it". Attached a pic of me and "The Beast" , more can be found here

Sounds good to me. My Pivot must be 30ish lbs anyway. You can just really hammer on it out of the saddle and it launches up hills. When things start going down though that 72degree head angle keeps things a little sketchy... I'm 6'4" 200 lbs with a 34" inseam and love a slack bike. I grew up on dirt bikes so I'm always launching off of everything. The pivot just jumps a little weird, but 29" wheels on an XL bike does feel like I finally found a bike that fits. The Prime is just the first one I've seen that is set up like I would have a 26er.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are my clone, dimensionally speaking...
    Although I still love my 26er!
    A 72 HA sounds ridiculous to me, maybe that is why I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the 429 when I tried one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone been able to compare the Prime to a Yeti SB95? They actually seem like the most comparable of the AM 29ers at the moment...

beater
    Short answer- the Prime is much stiffer.

I rode one for ~30 minutes at Outerbike. Despite being a 29er guy, I preferred the coil-sprung SB66. I thought I'd really like the SB95 but I didn't. I liked the Tallboy LTc much more. Great thing about demos...

IMO the AM 29er class is still small: WFO9, Lunchbox, maybe the Tracer29, the Prime, and soon the Covert 29. There are some major differences between those frames, but I don't think anything else is as burly, which to me is the major difference between trail and AM in the 29er world where suspension travel is more limited. I see a trail bike as something I would ride if I had more rolling terrain, but here we do big climbs for big descents. Whether you agree or find that useful is your call, however. Opinions on this vary widely.
    Last edited by evasive; 10-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Short answer- the Prime is much stiffer.

I rode one for ~30 minutes at Outerbike. Despite being a 29er guy, I preferred the coil-sprung SB66. I thought I'd really like the SB95 but I didn't. I liked the Tallboy LTc much more. Great thing about demos...

IMO the AM 29er class is still small: WFO9, Lunchbox, maybe the Tracer29, the Prime, and soon the Covert 29. There are some major differences between those frames, but I don't think anything else is as burly, which to me is the major difference between trail and AM in the 29er world where suspension travel is more limited. I see a trail bike as something I would ride if I had more rolling terrain, but here we do big climbs for big descents. Whether you agree or find that useful is your call, however. Opinions on this vary widely.
    I have rolling terrain in my back yard, but do big climbs for big descents on a regular basis. I have it narrowed down to the SB66c, Prime, and Turner Burner... It's a great time to be a mountain biker, but there are some hard decisions when it comes to bike choice...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I had a Sultan this past season and it's a great bike. I actually kept it around to make sure I'd like the Prime THAT much before I sold it

My opinion on the Sultan versus Prime is, the Prime is more "ME". I like chunk. 3-4' drops, rocky descents, etc. I never worried about the Sultan breaking on me but it wasn't made exclusively for Whistler type conditions. The Sultan can take a ton of abuse but the geometry wasn't designed for it. The Prime IS an all mountain/light downhill bike and you can tell. The geometry and stiffness scream for MOAR the second you jump on it! The thing is so easy to manual, pop off small trail obstacles, taking rocky chutes in non-advisable speeds... Just a blast!

Here's a +/- comparo:

Stiffness: Prime
    Flickability: Prime
    Climbing: tie
    Descending: Prime
    Hucking: Prime
    Jumping: Prime
    Weight: Sultan
    Build quality: Sultan
    Resale: Sultan
    Sexiness: Prime
    Out of saddle pedaling: tie
    All day enduro comfort: Sultan
    Versatility: Prime
    Ingenuity: Prime
    Raising the bar: Prime

In a simple, non-professional wrap up... The Prime is more fun!

Now to the SB95... My best riding buddy actually has one and I'm not a huge fan from an AM perspective. It's an incredible bike but, to me, the geo doesn't match the personality of the bike. What I mean is, the numbers would suggest it's clearly an AM bike but the pedal platform and overall feel of the bike leans more toward a stiff, efficient trail bike. The Sultan, to me, is more AM than the SB95 even though the SB has the Sultan whipped in the aggressive AM geo category. I like the SB but it's more in the RIP9, Tallboy, Mach 429 league even though it's really slack. It's not stiff enough or plush enough to be considered an AM bike. It is, however, the king of the trail bike category if you ask me I would actually buy one if all I rode was flowy, buff singletrack. I think it would beat the crap out of me on my normal riding spots.

I'll have a Butcher as a front tire review coming pretty soon My LBS has been hooking me up with all kinds of new goodies recently

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    I had a Sultan this past season and it's a great bike. I actually kept it around to make sure I'd like the Prime THAT much before I sold it

My opinion on the Sultan versus Prime is, the Prime is more "ME". I like chunk. 3-4' drops, rocky descents, etc. I never worried about the Sultan breaking on me but it wasn't made exclusively for Whistler type conditions. The Sultan can take a ton of abuse but the geometry wasn't designed for it. The Prime IS an all mountain/light downhill bike and you can tell. The geometry and stiffness scream for MOAR the second you jump on it! The thing is so easy to manual, pop off small trail obstacles, taking rocky chutes in non-advisable speeds... Just a blast!

Here's a +/- comparo:

Stiffness: Prime
    Flickability: Prime
    Climbing: tie
    Descending: Prime
    Hucking: Prime
    Jumping: Prime
    Build quality: Sultan
    Resale: Sultan
    Sexiness: Prime
    Out of saddle pedaling: tie
    All day enduro comfort: Sultan
    Ingenuity: Prime
    Raising the bar: Prime

In a simple, non-professional wrap up... The Prime is more fun!

Now to the SB95... My best riding buddy actually has one and I'm not a huge fan from an AM perspective. It's an incredible bike but, to me, the geo doesn't match the personality of the bike. What I mean is, the numbers would suggest it's clearly an AM bike but the pedal platform and overall feel of the bike leans more toward a stiff, efficient trail bike. The Sultan, to me, is more AM than the SB95 even though the SB has the Sultan whipped in the aggressive AM geo category. I like the SB but it's more in the RIP9, Tallboy, Mach 429 league even though it's really slack. It's not stiff enough or plush enough to be considered an AM bike. It is, however, the king of the trail bike category if you ask me I would actually buy one if all I rode was flowy, buff singletrack. I think it would beat the crap out of me on my normal riding spots.

I'll have a Butcher as a front tire review coming pretty soon My LBS has been hooking me up with all kinds of new goodies recently
    After a handful of rides...I would offer my thoughts on the Sultan/ Prime comparo as such:

Stiffness: A wash...after 3 years on the dw sultan, I expected the Prime to blow it away...but it didn't. BOTH are very stiff 29er frames.
    Flickability: Prime (yup)
    Climbing: Sultan takes this one unless it is seriously techinical...otherwise the Prime tends to be a bit less pedal feedback under really steep climbs.
    Descending: Prime (yup)
    Hucking: Prime (duh)
    Jumping: Prime (close tho)
    Build quality: Sultan (definitely)
    Resale: we shall see
    Sexiness: Both
    Out of saddle pedaling: Sultan is a much more firm platform out of saddle...tho the Prime can handle it's own.
    All day enduro comfort: Untested as of yet...stay tuned!
    Ingenuity: ??? I think the Sultan having at least 3 years of pushing the 29er bar would give it the nod here.
    Raising the bar: OK...I can agree; Prime

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    After a handful of rides...I would offer my thoughts on the Sultan/ Prime comparo as such:

Stiffness: A wash...after 3 years on the dw sultan, I expected the Prime to blow it away...but it didn't. BOTH are very stiff 29er frames.
    Flickability: Prime (yup)
    Climbing: Sultan takes this one unless it is seriously techinical...otherwise the Prime tends to be a bit less pedal feedback under really steep climbs.
    Descending: Prime (yup)
    Hucking: Prime (duh)
    Jumping: Prime (close tho)
    Build quality: Sultan (definitely)
    Resale: we shall see
    Sexiness: Both
    Out of saddle pedaling: Sultan is a much more firm platform out of saddle...tho the Prime can handle it's own.
    All day enduro comfort: Untested as of yet...stay tuned!
    Ingenuity: ??? I think the Sultan having at least 3 years of pushing the 29er bar would give it the nod here.
    Raising the bar: OK...I can agree; Prime
    I will add that my Sultan was a L and my Prime is a M. Also, they have different shocks and I seriously doubt I had them tuned the same

I gave ingenuity to the Prime SOLELY because of the adjustable/replaceable dropouts that change angles and axle standards

I can't argue with you one bit! They're both excellent bikes and opinions are like arse holes

Prime
    Cheese heads screwed up my address, my Prime's floating around somewhere in UPS limbo, I may not get it until next week now. Jeez.

beater
    Oh man, that sucks. I would be so worked up after all the anticipation.

I'm friends with my UPS man, so if it makes it onto his truck, I'm golden.

Prime
    Tracking now shows tomorrow delivery, but it said that yesterday for today. 150 drop outs are out a few weeks or so yet, so I bought the 135's also, I'll ride that back until the 150's get here. Probably handy to have both anyway. It's been a long wait, which I knew up front, but it really irritated me to have it get screwed up not 10 miles from my eager hands.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Is yours coming with 142mm dropouts??? I'm trying to get a set if you want to sell them

beater
    I can't argue with you one bit! They're both excellent bikes and opinions are like arse holes
    Definitely, although you and I seem to be of similar minds, except I liked the Tallboy LTc a lot more than I liked the SB95. Didn't expect that to be the case.

Prime
    Is yours coming with 142mm dropouts??? I'm trying to get a set if you want to sell them
    No, coming with 135, I'll be running 150 as soon as they are manufactured.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm afraid to test ride a Tallboy LTc. Might end up costly:/

By the way, I was referring to the regular Tallboy, NOT the LT in my review

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    No, coming with 135, I'll be running 150 as soon as they are manufactured.

I'm waiting on the 142s...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm afraid to test ride a Tallboy LTc. Might end up costly:/
    The tallboy is curious to me, on paper at least.... steeper head angles and longer chainstays, compared to the prime....yet people seem to love it. I am sure it's a great bike, I'll have to try one someday.

Today I really enjoyed my Prime though

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Honestly, the ONLY thing that intrigues me about the LTc would be the possibility of a 26lbs heavy duty bike The geo doesn't speak to me at all...

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast