Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
    Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am starting to notice a couple things:
    1. Wheel flex.
    2. I am more regularly flatting my beloved FR3 tires primarily through the casing. I thought these were indestructible, but I am hitting stuff harder I think and sort of slowly killing them.
    I've been having very good results from my Butchers, good traction, sidewalls are holding up fine. They are a bit slow, and I do at times get the feeling that I'm pushing them near their limit in chunk, but so far no problems. Looking forward to trying the new Maxxis, probably only the single ply though. My MTX's built up extremely easy, easiest wheel that I've ever built, less than 1mm runout right at initial tensioning, 2 wraps of 3M electrical tape, 1 wrap of Stan's yellow tape, aired up fine. I could feel a very noticeable increase in stiffness with my E13 hubs, my wheels should be plenty strong now. F34 seems pretty stiff, 15mm axle isn't really a noticeable weak point, IMO.

beater

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

I've been debating whether to buy the DH casing DHFs or an Exo casing DHF in front with an Exo DHR2, HR2 or a DHF in back. Considering that I have pinch flatted a Hans Dampf and I'm currently riding with Dissents, the DH casings probably make the most sense.

Hurry up, boat!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    FWIW I have to throw down a solid endorsement for the easton haven carbon wheels. I picked up a used set in august, they dropped a bit of weight off compared to my 32h flows, but the difference in stiffness was incredible. Even after tons of use they are true as new. They also work great tubeless.
    The original hubs were kinda meh, but the most recent *free* easton hub upgrade basically disables the pre-load adjustment and makes the hub a press-together design, similar to Hope Pro 2's. Great product support by easton!
    The MSRP is stupid, but not hard to find these for $1k-1500usd & well worth it IMO.
    I'll ride carbon bars, but for some reason, carbon wheels scare me. But I may have to take a peak at them, being as I'm never fully satisfied with today.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've been debating whether to buy the DH casing DHFs or an Exo casing DHF in front with an Exo DHR2, HR2 or a DHF in back. Considering that I have pinch flatted a Hans Dampf and I'm currently riding with Dissents, the DH casings probably make the most sense.

Hurry up, boat!
    For the weight of the single plies, I'm thinking that they're going to be bit tougher than the Control Speshies I'm running, probably a bit less than SX's, which I really like. I'm leaning toward the single ply, but who knows.

beater

I'm not entirely on board with carbon bars or rims yet. My reluctance is entirely based on stories from people I know. While I do understand the difference between anecdotes and statistics, that understanding doesn't help me sleep better when camping in grizzly country, either.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I'm not entirely on board with carbon bars or rims yet. My reluctance is entirely based on stories from people I know. While I do understand the difference between anecdotes and statistics, that understanding doesn't help me sleep better when camping in grizzly country, either.
    Grizzlies won't mess with you if you're badass enough to ride carbon bars.

beater

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Grizzlies won't mess with you if you're badass enough to ride carbon bars.
    Assuming they're these bars:

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364360272.107626.jpg

mtbr member
    Been using carbon bars for ages, no issues ever, although just stick with Easton or Raceface so far. I have an old set of Easton DH bars that are so beat up it is funny, they kept going. Have bent or broken several sets of Al bars though... Carbon rims, still waiting, I've seen a few break prematurely so I'll give them a bit of time before I try em.
    Carbon cranks so far seem dumb, especially the SRAM ones, they seem to last about 2 seasons before failure under bigger riders. Saw several broken sets last year locally. For the price I'll keep my XTR's thanks!

Prime
    With them, he may take your bike.

Prime
    +1 on the Easton bars, I had Havens on all 3 bikes, switched to Havocs. I'm liking the 750mm. I looked at the Haven carbon wheels, they're only 21mm wide. FM, what size tires are you running on those carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am starting to notice a couple things:
    1. Wheel flex.
    2. I am more regularly flatting my beloved FR3 tires primarily through the casing. I thought these were indestructible, but I am hitting stuff harder I think and sort of slowly killing them.
    Flow EX are stiff and reasonably priced, also you can put much higher spoke tension on EX's vs normal Flow's.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I looked at the Haven carbon wheels, they're only 21mm wide. FM, what size tires are you running on those carbon wheels?
    Running schwalbe 2.35's, HD f / NN r, tubeless, low 20's psi.

So the flows are 22.6mm internal width. Can't say I noticed any difference at all in terms of burping or tire rolling in corners, hasn't been a problem (I do check pressure every ride with a digital guage, funny how I crash less often since doing that!). Again the stiffness difference vs. flows was immediately noticable, especially on G-outs, pumping corners at speed, off camber roots & rock etc. Difference was on the scale of going form a QR to a through axle in front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Running schwalbe 2.35's, HD f / NN r, tubeless, low 20's psi.

So the flows are 22.6mm internal width. Can't say I noticed any difference at all in terms of burping or tire rolling in corners, hasn't been a problem (I do check pressure every ride with a digital guage, funny how I crash less often since doing that!). Again the stiffness difference vs. flows was immediately noticable, especially on G-outs, pumping corners at speed, off camber roots & rock etc. Difference was on the scale of going form a QR to a through axle in front.
    I got the alu havens, i hate 'em with vengeance, hubs are subpar for wheelset at that price and can't change to another manufacturer hub...

I just stopped buying system wheels and just use 32h rims+hubs now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi All

One pic of my banshees... now I have to compare with arguments the differences between 26 vs 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_3985.jpg  

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_3984.jpg  

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-2013-03-22-15.13.25.jpg  

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-2013-03-22-15.12.55.jpg  

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    I got the alu havens, i hate 'em with vengeance, hubs are subpar for wheelset at that price and can't change to another manufacturer hub...

Get the free bearing/axle upgrade kit.
    Fixes all the issues, easy installation, even the tools are included.

Great lookin' Prime AdrianoMTB!

Bnerd
    Honzo TT 25" (635mm) vs Prime TT 25.4" (645mm).
    0.4" (10mm) isn't that much of a stretch over the 20" Honzo.
    I'll just have to get a shorter stem.

Numbers wise the 20" Honzo sits between the L and XL Prime. Leaning slightly closer to XL Prime sizing though. And the Reach between the 20L Honzo and XL Prime is exactly the same (since we're splitting hairs).

But these are all numbers on paper. Who knows if 10mm will make a giant or small difference when riding the bike.

Prime
    Got out for a bit of chunk to try out my new MTX33's. Very much noticeably stiffer than my Frequency i23's. I had my suspension pretty much dialed in, but these new wheels actually make the ride feel less plush, time for a little tweaking.

MTB B'dos
    Can't see how at your height you wouldn't go for the XL, but that's just my opinion and I seem to be a bit in the minority in that thinking, but at 6'2" I like the fit of the XL, but wouldn't mind the shorter wheelbase the L would give. Long knuckle dragging arms, 35.25" inseam, running a 70mm stem and 785mm wide bar, but will be going down 5mm to a 65mm stem shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Honzo TT 25" (635mm) vs Prime TT 25.4" (645mm).
    0.4" (10mm) isn't that much of a stretch over the 20" Honzo.
    I'll just have to get a shorter stem.

Numbers wise the 20" Honzo sits between the L and XL Prime. Leaning slightly closer to XL Prime sizing though. And the Reach between the 20L Honzo and XL Prime is exactly the same (since we're splitting hairs).

But these are all numbers on paper. Who knows if 10mm will make a giant or small difference when riding the bike.
    People don't realise just how much other parts play in the ride of their bike besides the suspension Check your tyre pressures, maybe you can go lower there, I know I can easily notice the much differen and less plush feel if say I pump my tyres up for more gravel grinding/road connecting to get to the trails and forget to drop them - talking running 28F and 35R as compared to 21-24 F and 25-28 R. If not as you say, drop 5 PSI from the fork and shock and see what that does.
    Got out for a bit of chunk to try out my new MTX33's. Very much noticeably stiffer than my Frequency i23's. I had my suspension pretty much dialed in, but these new wheels actually make the ride feel less plush, time for a little tweaking.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    People don't realise just how much other parts play in the ride of their bike besides the suspension Check your tyre pressures, maybe you can go lower there, I know I can easily notice the much differen and less plush feel if say I pump my tyres up for more gravel grinding/road connecting to get to the trails and forget to drop them - talking running 28F and 35R as compared to 21-24 F and 25-28 R. If not as you say, drop 5 PSI from the fork and shock and see what that does.
    I typically ride 28F/30R, and although these rims are 3mm wider and create a bit more volume, I thought that my typical psi was a good starting point. First time also that I've had a 29er Butcher on the rear, noticeably slower than a Purgatory, I didn't get much opportunity to compare traction.

Bnerd
    I have considered the L size but felt that it's just a little too small. My biggest waffling point about the XL size is the 21" ST. I'd much rather have a 20" ST with the other measurements staying the same. But at my height/size buying a bike has always been a set of compromises when looking at sizing/measurements.

From my perspective, riding style (where and how you ride) factors largely into the size of bike you end up on. Or it should.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Rideeverything-
    Not to confuse the issue but I would be careful comparing size against the Honzo. I have a Small Honzo and medium Prime (both great bikes). The Honzo has pretty unique geometry- that curved seat tube is fairly steep depending on your saddle height, and a short head tube- both throw off the ETT and reach measurements. My bikes are set up nearly identical and the prime does not feel any longer in terms of reach or TT. The differences in chainstay length, wheelbase, bar height and suspension are noticable!

Not saying you should go L or XL- just be aware...

Bnerd
    FM,
    If I'm understanding this right it sounds like cockpit fit is similar going up a size from the the Honzo to the Prime?
    I realize the wheel base between the Honzo 20" and XL Prime is quite big. So I would assume that is where I would feel the most difference between the bikes.

The Honzo is the first and only 29er that I've ridden. So that is my comparison point. I realize that each bike feels different when ridden compared to numbers on paper. But sometimes the numbers help.

Bnerd
    I had a look through the Prime Participation thread and saw that there were even less photos of the Prime than in this thread! Either way I'm not going to end up with a proto so I would really like to see more photos of the production Prime. Preferably in the XL size and, hopefully, being ridden in action shots!

mtbr member
    Some XL Prime that I haven't seen posted on here.

The Perfect Enduro Bike | Ohio Downhill

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    FM,
    If I'm understanding this right it sounds like cockpit fit is similar going up a size from the the Honzo to the Prime?
    If you were 5'-9"/175cm I would say yes. However... there's personal preference, plus our height differences... all I can say is, consider all variables.
    That and.. When in doubt, downsize on 29'er's... bigger wheels make the frame ride larger.

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast