Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
    TR
    Angry bunny
    As soon as I saw who had posted I thought to myself I need to contact Muzzanic when I go to NZ riding.
    A couple fo guys I know just got back from the Gravity Enduro that was held over there recently.
    They had a ball.
    I do like the look of the Rip9RDO and I have access to Jet9's and older Rip9's if I wanted.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes there is always a bed over here.

Jet9's or Jet9 RDO's because they are very different to ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    As soon as I saw who had posted I thought to myself I need to contact Muzzanic when I go to NZ riding.
    A couple fo guys I know just got back from the Gravity Enduro that was held over there recently.
    They had a ball.
    I do like the look of the Rip9RDO and I have access to Jet9's and older Rip9's if I wanted.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Dont know.
    I still have a love hate relationship with Niner after the whole Jet fiasco where they basically lied to me about what was going on for 6 months while I broke 3 of them.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm not trying to talk you into one, just saying that riding them might help you decide what size & style bike you might like more.

Dont know.
    I still have a love hate relationship with Niner after the whole Jet fiasco where they basically lied to me about what was going on for 6 months while I broke 3 of them.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I'm not trying to talk you into one, just saying that riding them might help you decide what size & style bike you might like more.
    Yep.
    Sadly I cannot see myself getting over there before November.
    By that time I will have probably have gotten itchy feet and bought.
    I am convinced that the 18" ST on the large is too short so the XL is the only other option.
    I have ridden a Rune in Vancouver a few years ago and that was a very nice bike.
    Also rode an older Wildcard at Whistler which was fun but too much bike for me (and had silly small wheels).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

Your long legs might make the seat tube and seat post an issue; I'm not certain. I'm not familiar with those numbers on the production frames. I can tell you that at 6'3" with a 33" inseam, the L is all I'd want. A XL would be way too big for me.

Please! no more post regarding sizing if you are around 6'3''/6'4''!! :-), just comfirmed my order for a XL (6'3''), and you are allready making me second-guess my choice..

Naa, it will be fine - I'm planning on running a WB fluid 150 fork on the beast, anybody got experience with this combo?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Hmmm after reading another post it seems that there is no Banshee dealer in Australia.
    Who would be the recommended retailer in the US to order from for shipping down here?

MTB B'dos
    TR, OK, well to me that seals it, if you're looking at this as a specific bike, then size wise I'd suggest a L with a slightly longer stem, but still wider bar in the 720mm> range. For me the Prime is a do all bike, XC, AM, whatever I come across, not specifically for one style/genre of riding, the sort of stuff you're describing, if it was, I most likely would want the smaller frame.

As to seatpost, on my XL the stock 350mm post was at the max extension line when set to my preferred riding height of roughly 32" centre of BB to top of saddle, but a 410mm post more than gave enough in tube post to be comfortable (only needed some post in the frame), so I'd think a 410mm post would work for you on the L frame. If you're going to be doing the Enduro type stuff a dropper post is most definitely going to be part of your build, so then post selection could get dicey as I think they require a bit more post into the frame than a normal post. FYI, the ST length on the L is 19" not 18".

Lynx, my XC bikes usually run a 100mm stem (could possibly go to 90mm but cant be bothered buying one to try).
    I would say 60 - 70mm would bring my overall reach back in line with my XC bikes.
    Most of my riding these days is just general singletrack with nothing much technical and as a result I ride my rigid Blacksheep with H-bars.
    However, I have basically had enough of the XC endurance racing that I have been doing and am looking at some of the Gravity Endurance events that have sprung up locally and in NZ and think that this bike could suit that bill quite well.
    Reading this thread it seems that this bike is a good fit for that sort of thing given that it climbs fairly well but can obviously handle the rougher stuff easily.

I still have my Blacksheep for the tame stuff, shorter endurance races or fireroad rides along with my 2 road bikes for fitness and racing.
    Well then, you're in luck, just deal directly with Jay at the factory, it's what I had to do since there's none down here either.
    Hmmm after reading another post it seems that there is no Banshee dealer in Australia.
    Who would be the recommended retailer in the US to order from for shipping down here?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Lynx, I am not convinced.
    The ST is 1" shorter than my sheep and the ETT also 1" shorter.
    I would think I would need to run a 100mm or so stem to get me in a comfortable position.
    I also dont want to be setup with my bars below my saddle which is generally what happens on smaller frames.

Why would you want to run a long seatpost and a longer stem rather than a longer ETT, less seatpost and a shorter stem?

MTB B'dos
    Shorter Wheel Base - The XL Prime has a 48" WB, whereas the L has a 46.6" WB.

Right now I'm pretty much the anomaly in terms of the size I'm riding I think, most others my height are riding L frames who are using the Prime for more gravity oriented reasons. If you're getting this bike, you also have to force yourself to toss your XC Race thought pattern out the window if you want to use it to it's full potential, you have to embrace a nice short stem <90mm and nice wide bar 720mm>. While your inseam is only sposed to be a 1/4" shorter than mine, your saddle height is almost an inch lower (could be my size 48/13 feet), so even with a 350mm post you'd have about 3/4-7/8" above max extension into the the ST, which in turn would make a 410mm more than enough for the L frame. I think with a 720mm> bar (I'd suggest 750mm at least), even on the L you wouldn't need a stem over 90mm. Having the L frame instead of the XL you'd have a much more agile bike and for Enduro, which AFAIK is more based around the DHs you'd want something you can move around easier.

Throw up a pic of you on one of your current bikes to let us see just how stretched you like to be. There's a side on of me running the 785mm wide bar and 70mm/6* stem, flipped.

Lynx, I am not convinced.
    The ST is 1" shorter than my sheep and the ETT also 1" shorter.
    I would think I would need to run a 100mm or so stem to get me in a comfortable position.
    I also dont want to be setup with my bars below my saddle which is generally what happens on smaller frames.

Why would you want to run a long seatpost and a longer stem rather than a longer ETT, less seatpost and a shorter stem?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Here you go Lynx.
    This is my favourite bike and is quite a lot more upright than any of my previous race bikes.

MTB B'dos
    To me looking at that pic, you definitely look to have shorter arms than me and your back is hunched, whereas mine is straight and with my 70mm stem and 785mm bars I look more forward/bent over than you on your BS and why I say the L would work for you with a 90mm stem and 720mm> bar, as I think it would almost work for me and my current style/type of riding.

Here you go Lynx.
    This is my favourite bike and is quite a lot more upright than any of my previous race bikes.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    I think that the "hunch" you are seeing is the spare tube I have in my back pocket and the fact that I am turning to look at the photographer.

I think it might be best for me to email the guys at Banshee and get their take on their sizing.
    I was hoping that builttoride may have stuck their head in here and commented.
    Might also need to find out why they dont have an Aussie distributor and whether they are keen to get one too.

mtbr member
    I think that the "hunch" you are seeing is the spare tube I have in my back pocket and the fact that I am turning to look at the photographer.

I think it might be best for me to email the guys at Banshee and get their take on their sizing.
    I was hoping that builttoride may have stuck their head in here and commented.
    Might also need to find out why they dont have an Aussie distributor and whether they are keen to get one too.
    I disagree...I think your back is rounded as well. That is not only a compromised riding position, anatomically, but also far from an aggressive riding position for a Prime-style of riding. Either you are looking at the wrong style of bike for your riding needs, or perhaps you should simply try the newer geometry of the AM genre. Either way, I agree a LG Prime would suffice.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I guess everyone has their opinions.
    I think from the picture that Lynx's saddle is too high and I wonder why he has a neg rise stem a riser bar AND spacers under it.
    But that is just me.
    Anyway I have sent an email to the guys at Banshee looking for their feedback.
    I dont know anything about AM geometry whether it be new or old so I am needing to get some help.

mtbr member
    I think from the picture that Lynx's saddle is too high and I wonder why he has a neg rise stem a riser bar AND spacers under it.
    But that is just me.
    I dont know anything about AM geometry whether it be new or old so I am needing to get some help.
    Lynx's leg extension looks good in his pic, but I would agree with you, in the sense that, this type of bike would require a dropper post if you want your saddle at optimum ride height..at all.

I think you would be surprised by the fit of the large, but if you're wanting a xc-ish fit...I would advise you to look elsewhere. Anything that fits that objective will likely not perform well in an AM setting...and vice versa.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Lynx's leg extension looks good in his pic, but I would agree with you, in the sense that, this type of bike would require a dropper post if you want your saddle at optimum ride height..at all.

I think you would be surprised by the fit of the large, but if you're wanting a xc-ish fit...I would advise you to look elsewhere. Anything that fits that objective will likely not perform well in an AM setting...and vice versa.
    Again we all have our opinions on fit.

I am not saying I want an XC fit at all as if I did, I would not be looking at this bike.
    I am going to go and sit on some all mountain style bikes if I can (but it will only be sitting as bike shops in Australia dont have test bikes that you can ride anywhere outside of their carpark).
    There is also no Banshee distributor in Australia so that is also tricky.
    My big concern is the 19" ST which has caused me isures in the past with Ventana's and Niner's.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ok, at 5'11, I am using the saddle 1cm over the full slammed downwards (keep in mind it is a telescopic, which has 125 travel. Just imagine what you see in my pics with saddle 1cm higher). Considering the post can be run 9cm more upwards, and that there are longer posts (385 is mine, thomson makes 410, and 150mm travel telescopic are 435).

You are 3" taller than me, and even if that would be all in the legs, you could still ride with posts like mine. Yes there will be seatpost exposed. Well, when you have slopping in the top tube, you get shorter seattubes. I don't see any problem with that, especially when you can run everything well within the secure area, and you could even get longer posts just for extra safety. The frames are longer than the v1 frames, which I expected.
    For me, 40mm stems feels very nice, with 745mm bars. When I can, I'll switch to wider bars (800 or so) and a 30-35mm stem. Remember to shorten stem when widening bars
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

TR
    Angry bunny
    G_g
    Just did some calcs.
    My usual seat height is 79cm from BB.
    The ST at 19" is 48.3cm.
    Therefore my exposed seatpost (allowing for 2.5cm of stack for saddle) is approx 28.2cm (11.1") which probably works.
    Also looking at the H-bars they see my hands probably 20mm or so further back than if I was using the same stem with a normal bar which basically means I am running the equivalent of a 70 - 80mm stem.
    That sees my total effective top tube as say 71.5cm compared to 67cm with a 24" ETT plus 60mm stem.

Does that seem a reasonable change to ETT?
    I understand that some of this lost reach will be taken up through the wider bars.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    ETT is a pretty unpredictable figure these days, with curved seat tubes and all that. Not to mention layback posts etc.
    I think you'd be better served to consider stack & reach.

FWIW, I am running 10-11" of exposed post (saddle not included) on my current bikes (M Prime & S Kona Honzo). Perfect for a 150mm dropper post!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    ETT is a pretty unpredictable figure these days, with curved seat tubes and all that. Not to mention layback posts etc.
    I think you'd be better served to consider stack & reach.

FWIW, I am running 10-11" of exposed post (saddle not included) on my current bikes (M Prime & S Kona Honzo). Perfect for a 150mm dropper post!
    Well what do you know.
    According to this link the XL TB is only .5cm shorter reach than the L Prime and is actually 1cm lower stack height.

The XL Prime would be 30mm longer reach than the XL TB.

Thanks FM.

MTB B'dos
    Wondered how come it too you so long to pick up on that The reason I have a neg rise stem and spacers is because I didn't want to cut the steerer tube too short and regret it if I happened to want to run this fork on a frame with longer HT or any other feature requiring a longer steerer, it's that simple, that's it. I could easily run a ) rise stem and 20-25mm of spacers and also be happy, but without cutting the steerer more I'd have more exposed steerer ontop than I care to have.

As to my leg reach, I would have to agre, in that still capture from a vid, it does look a bit tall, but that was also taken very soon after I got the Prime and was still getting used to it and IIRC I did lower the saddle height a tad from where it was in the pic, but I adjust my saddle height depending on what baggies I'm wearing or not, also may not have been sat properly on the saddle as that was right after climbing up a 20" step up. If you look at your pic and realise your foot isn't at the full bottom of the pedal stroke then yours is about the same as mine in that pic

I think it's a good idea for you to try to swing a leg over some "AM" type bikes to just get a feel for how they feel as they will feel quite a bit different than what you've been accustomed to. It definitely takes some getting used to when coming off more XC type geo with steeper angles and such, but if you're honestly looking for this type of bike, then I think the Prime will give you miles upon miles, of smiles

Hope Keith can help you shed some light on this and give you some confidence in which size to go with. All I'm trying to do is impart what knowledge I have gained in being a tester and saying OK to test the XL going on ETT measurement mainly to see how it fit an rode compared to my previous XL bikes. What I have learned is that I might have been able to go with a L frame instead of the XL and had a more nimble ride which doesn't require as much muscle and in crunching numbers they seem to correlate with this thought process.

But that is just me.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yep, my foot is pointed there but I am pretty flat footed at the bottom of my stroke.
    I could show you a picture but it would involve road bikes and nobody wants to see that here.

beater

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What I have learned is that I might have been able to go with a L frame instead of the XL and had a more nimble ride which doesn't require as much muscle and in crunching numbers they seem to correlate with this thought process.
    Wow. Being familiar with your post history, I can imagine what kind of a vision quest you've experienced to write that. I went through the same curve, but earlier. I got away from mountain biking around 1991, and when I came back to it in 2004, I expected, if not demanded, a saddle 4-6" higher than my bars, and all that comes with that fit. I still remember demoing a Trek 4300 that summer and thinking: "No! This feels all wrong!" Then I bought a 1998 Stumpjumper and thought I had it dialed. I have an advantage for which I'm grateful- I live in a town with a strong bike culture and I can learn from others who know a lot more than I do, whereas I get the idea the bike culture in Barbados is still embryonic. I have fallen in with guys who can outclimb most anyone around on heavy FR-AM bikes and have postures like unicycle riders. They aren't as fast on the smooth or gentle trails, but they'll beat you on the big, steep and nasty climbs, because they don't stop. That was an awakening, although it took a few years to play out.

Welcome to the dark side. Come visit us in Montana; we have some sufferfest climbs you'd love.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

MTB B'dos
    Still not 100% sure on this, a test ride is the only thing that would confirm. What I can say about the XL and current setup is that I like where I am and my bar in relation to the front hub. I cannot see the front hub, it is directly hidden by my bar, where most bikes my bar is infront of it, this for me makes those crazy steep, slow descents I love so confident for me and if I did go for a L and 90mm stem I'd be seeing the front hub behind the bar, so as said, not 100% certain and when I next make a trip up north I'm planning to find out.

Yes, MTBing in Barbados is not very big, just handful of riders (loads and loads of roadies) and right now I'm about it as far as knowledge goes in terms of MTBs Being a little OCD/ADHD/Bi-Polar I tend to focus mainly on one thing at a time and as such I think I've learned quite a bit about MTBs and MTBing in general. I will definitely say I credit m,y 2 Colorado trips for opening my eyes to "big" riding and what steep was and was rideable, totally changed my outlook on what we had here and what was rideable. When I started MTBing I could only ride about 10-15% of my fav trail, now I can ride about 90-95% of it. Riding here is just different from up north, different terrain, def diff climate and heat index, which all factor in, but I've grown to love it despite our longest MTB descent only being 8-10 minutes, not thing to compare with the available 30 min descents in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Wow. Being familiar with your post history, I can imagine what kind of a vision quest you've experienced to write that. I went through the same curve, but earlier. I got away from mountain biking around 1991, and when I came back to it in 2004, I expected, if not demanded, a saddle 4-6" higher than my bars, and all that comes with that fit. I still remember demoing a Trek 4300 that summer and thinking: "No! This feels all wrong!" Then I bought a 1998 Stumpjumper and thought I had it dialed. I have an advantage for which I'm grateful- I live in a town with a strong bike culture and I can learn from others who know a lot more than I do, whereas I get the idea the bike culture in Barbados is still embryonic. I have fallen in with guys who can outclimb most anyone around on heavy FR-AM bikes and have postures like unicycle riders. They aren't as fast on the smooth or gentle trails, but they'll beat you on the big, steep and nasty climbs, because they don't stop. That was an awakening, although it took a few years to play out.

Welcome to the dark side. Come visit us in Montana; we have some sufferfest climbs you'd love.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast