Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast
    G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Heated blade to remove the bigger, and then paper towels with acetone to remove the leftovers. If the frame was painted I wouldn't use the blade.

Acetone was not enough to remove them, I needed to pass with the blade first, they seem to have an outer surface that didn't let the acetone sink. Waiting on black crankskins, still undecided if I should murder the fork or not. I guess once it has the wheels I'll be able to get a better idea
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

beater

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Personally, I would. I peeled the decals from the white 44 that I have on my Yelli. I just think that Zoke stickers are kind of ugly.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hello from Spain.

I present my bike.

Regards

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-c360_2013-03-03-10-54-52-%5B800x600%5D.jpgProduction Prime Photo/Build thread-c360_2013-03-03-10-55-14-%5B800x600%5D.jpgProduction Prime Photo/Build thread-c360_2013-03-03-10-55-38-%5B800x600%5D.jpgProduction Prime Photo/Build thread-c360_2013-03-03-10-56-03-%5B800x600%5D.jpg

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Stealth you say:

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-p4pb9279245.jpg

Front rotor will be black, and will make some crank skins. Waiting for a new banjo, hopefully it will be here before the weekend (I needed a longer rear hose, thought the stock banjo was reusable, apparently it isn't, it was crimped to the line.)

Apart from that, digging the stealth look. It should end up under 30 pounds, not bad for an aluminium 29er with proper tyres
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

beater

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Looks sweet!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Looks great G_g!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Anyone other than Lynx got pics of an XL frame?
    I generally run a 25" plus ETT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Anyone other than Lynx got pics of an XL frame?
    I generally run a 25" plus ETT.
    My black XL arrives this week so will post pics when she's built.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I guess that also brings me to a question.
    6'2" and 35" inseam.
    Usually ride XC bikes with a 25" or so ETT.
    24" seems too short but 25.4" seems on the long side.
    Given that I will probably use a very short stem, I am assuming the XL is the way to go?
    I would also prefer to have a longer ST rather than running a broomstick length of post so again this is pointing me to the XL.
    I usually have 78-79cm from saddle to BB centre on my XC bikes.

MTB B'dos
    What do you intend on using the bike for and what do YOU consider a short stem? Since getting the Prime my definition of a short stem has changed quite a bit, it used to be short was 90mm, now 70-80mm is normal to long and 40-50mm is short. I do fine on the XL with a 70mm stem/785mm wide bar, (could most likely use a 60-65mm stem) but fact of the matter is I could also ride a L and use a 90mm stem and same bar and it would most def be a little bit more nimble ride, but since I couldn't demo and mine's a pre-production and I love to climb I erred on the side of caution and got what I'm accustomed to in a 25"+ ETT. The 48" WB is definitely something you have to man handle is the tight and fast stuff, but it also is very stable and at slow speed I don't notice is hardly.

I guess that also brings me to a question.
    6'2" and 35" inseam.
    Usually ride XC bikes with a 25" or so ETT.
    24" seems too short but 25.4" seems on the long side.
    Given that I will probably use a very short stem, I am assuming the XL is the way to go?
    I would also prefer to have a longer ST rather than running a broomstick length of post so again this is pointing me to the XL.
    I usually have 78-79cm from saddle to BB centre on my XC bikes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What do you intend on using the bike for and what do YOU consider a short stem? Since getting the Prime my definition of a short stem has changed quite a bit, it used to be short was 90mm, now 70-80mm is normal to long and 40-50mm is short. I do fine on the XL with a 70mm stem/785mm wide bar, (could most likely use a 60-65mm stem) but fact of the matter is I could also ride a L and use a 90mm stem and same bar and it would most def be a little bit more nimble ride, but since I couldn't demo and mine's a pre-production and I love to climb I erred on the side of caution and got what I'm accustomed to in a 25"+ ETT. The 48" WB is definitely something you have to man handle is the tight and fast stuff, but it also is very stable and at slow speed I don't notice is hardly.
    Lynx, my XC bikes usually run a 100mm stem (could possibly go to 90mm but cant be bothered buying one to try).
    I would say 60 - 70mm would bring my overall reach back in line with my XC bikes.
    Most of my riding these days is just general singletrack with nothing much technical and as a result I ride my rigid Blacksheep with H-bars.
    However, I have basically had enough of the XC endurance racing that I have been doing and am looking at some of the Gravity Endurance events that have sprung up locally and in NZ and think that this bike could suit that bill quite well.
    Reading this thread it seems that this bike is a good fit for that sort of thing given that it climbs fairly well but can obviously handle the rougher stuff easily.

I still have my Blacksheep for the tame stuff, shorter endurance races or fireroad rides along with my 2 road bikes for fitness and racing.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, for me, since like 2007 or so I have been on the pedal-freeride scene that now is Enduro. Back then I had a 60 stem, which was super short for everyone else that would pedal up a hill. Enter the Rune, and went with a 50mm one. Now on Enduro bikes, 50mm or so isn't rare.

For the Prime I have a 50mm there and a 40mm on hold (it's on the street bike) until I test it out. I might even go with the syntace 30mm stem. I like the way the perform, I even like the Mondraker Forward Geometry idea.

Anyway, less talk, more murder (erhm, pics, I meant pics, not murder):
    A banjo somewhere in Europe heading here, that is all I need to finish this puppy. The canfield cassette is working very well, this 9-36 is the poor man xx1, and it seems to be more than enough range, at least considering when I used 11-36 it was almost perfect

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-p4pb9282933.jpg

TR
    Angry bunny
    Very nice.
    What size is that G_g?
    I am also a little lost as my Blacksheep runs H-bars with the 100mm stem so my hands are further back than I would be with a flat or riser bar.
    Not a lot of options to try one of these over here in Australia.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The frame is a Large, I'm 5'11. I could choose between the Medium and Large, and all the advice pointed to the Medium, and then, I saw one. It looked so weird that I had to go with the large frame. I've run super short stems on DH sleds and like them a lot, so, worst case on the large prime was a 30mm stem from syntace, possibly coupled with syntace 12 degree backsweep bars. For now, playing the waiting game until I can start with the testing

TR
    Angry bunny
    Looking at your seat height (assuming that is where you would ride it), I would be running a heap of exposed seatpost at 6'2".
    Thanks for the response.

If I am lucky, one of the Banshee guys might pop their head in and help.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Saddle height isn't adjusted yet, I think it would be a little bit higher, an inch at max. These frames have a relatively short seat tube, but it is not unlike any other model in the market. My post is the 380mm, 125mm travel KS. I can move the seatpost 4 in higher to be in the limit that KS imposes. To a certain point, frame choice is a lot personal, I am more likely to go for a bigger frame with short stem, giving more emphasis on downhill capability, than for a smaller frame with long stem.
    Heck, now with the 435mm seatposts, seat height isn't a problem.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Seat tube on the XL is OK for me, but at only 18" I think the L would be too short.

mtbr member
    Lynx, my XC bikes usually run a 100mm stem (could possibly go to 90mm but cant be bothered buying one to try).
    I would say 60 - 70mm would bring my overall reach back in line with my XC bikes.
    Most of my riding these days is just general singletrack with nothing much technical and as a result I ride my rigid Blacksheep with H-bars.
    However, I have basically had enough of the XC endurance racing that I have been doing and am looking at some of the Gravity Endurance events that have sprung up locally and in NZ and think that this bike could suit that bill quite well.
    Reading this thread it seems that this bike is a good fit for that sort of thing given that it climbs fairly well but can obviously handle the rougher stuff easily.

I still have my Blacksheep for the tame stuff, shorter endurance races or fireroad rides along with my 2 road bikes for fitness and racing.
    it isn't what you consider short, most modern am bikes are designed around a 50-60mm stem. so don't think of the ett and your idea of a normal stem. think of the bike with a stem in the designers range. so a 25.4" ett and a 50mm stem will be in your range of a 25" ett and 90-100mm stem. short stems, wide bars is the way to go. way more control and comfort and opens your chest up

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yep, all that is going to take some getting my head around.
    Wide bars for me are my 660mm H-bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    ... all the advice pointed to the Medium, and then, I saw one. It looked so weird ...
    I felt the same way when I first saw my med. frame in person (I'm 6')...but once built/ridden...it was obvious that it was the best fitting bike (non-custom; FS) I had ever owned (I had previously always owned LG frames)!
    I would like to ride a large frame for comparison, but the medium just feels perfect.

PS. Your murder'd frame has me in full-on buyer's remorse!

Bnerd
    This comment has been moved to a more relevant spot within the thread.
    Stoopid thread posting placement mechanics!
    Last edited by RideEverything; 03-05-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Wrong place in thread. Stoopid thread posting mechanics!

Bnerd
    I to am waiting for more pictures of XL frames.
    Being that I'm a giant at 6'6" with an over 35ish" inseam I'd like to see more pictures of this XL bike in the wild.

The Prime is on my very "short" (Haha, short! pun intended!) list for full suspender AM 29er's.

beater
    Just a quick food-for-thought comment, because fit is subjective: I think the Prime should fit you a little differently than your XC bikes. I think this style of bike is best ridden in a more upright position, rather than a stretched out XC position. The ETT might well be shorter than what you're used to, but look at the reach for an idea of how it'll feel when you're out of the saddle.

Your long legs might make the seat tube and seat post an issue; I'm not certain. I'm not familiar with those numbers on the production frames. I can tell you that at 6'3" with a 33" inseam, the L is all I'd want. A XL would be way too big for me.

Along those lines, the wider bars make more sense as you come more upright. You can probably mime that for yourself - if you're stretched out, narrower bars feel better. As your torso straightens up, wider feels better.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Just a quick food-for-thought comment, because fit is subjective: I think the Prime should fit you a little differently than your XC bikes. I think this style of bike is best ridden in a more upright position, rather than a stretched out XC position. The ETT might well be shorter than what you're used to, but look at the reach for an idea of how it'll feel when you're out of the saddle.

Your long legs might make the seat tube and seat post an issue; I'm not certain. I'm not familiar with those numbers on the production frames. I can tell you that at 6'3" with a 33" inseam, the L is all I'd want. A XL would be way too big for me.

Along those lines, the wider bars make more sense as you come more upright. You can probably mime that for yourself - if you're stretched out, narrower bars feel better. As your torso straightens up, wider feels better.
    I understand what you are saying but will say this.
    With the H-bars on my 25" ETT Blacksheep I already sit more upright than I would with a flat bar.
    With the truss fork the bars are also much higher than with a flat bar.

I am shorter than you but have a cycling inseam 2" longer than you.
    Having ridden bikes with an 18" ST I am 100% sure that this is too short for me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    You could always just book a flight over to New Zealand & you could take some of my bikes for a ride for the weekend..

I'm not saying that any of my bikes are what you are looking for but at the end of the weekend you would have a better idea of what you do & don't like bike fit wise for what you want to do.

I could front with a Lge Jet9 RDO, Should have my Rip9 RDO very soon & could also borrow a friends Large Rip9 Alloy

You could even try XX1 at the same time.

Your call just offering.

Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast