Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    live long and huck
    My Talas is pre CTD. I wonder if some of the "firmness" that I really can't seem to get adjusted out is because of the Talas function?

MTB B'dos
    It's just the Float version, with FIT damper, feels very plush to me, uses travel well IMO. In all my readings have heard that the Talus feature adds stiction to Fox forks and you seem to be another confirming this. Wish I couls use all my travel on my F34, just doesn't send the o-ring any further than just above the Kashima logo on the stanchion.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    LyNx, I don't remember, is your F34 a Talas? Mine is, and what I've found, is to get mine to perform with a nice level of plushness, I have to adjust it such that I blow through all of my travel too easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    I got 2012 Float-FIT F34 before all this CTD crap started and i'm happy with it... although i think my crown has started to creak.
    My Talas is pre CTD. I wonder if some of the "firmness" that I really can't seem to get adjusted out is because of the Talas function?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

beater

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Case a four-footer. That'll do it; trust me.

It's a little hard for me to say, a) because I'm not all that suspension- savvy, and b) I think the "use all your travel once on every ride" advice is BS, but I think I have my 34 Float set up tolerably. I don't think it sucks, it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't dive when it shouldn't. But I understand what Optimus is getting at with the instructive feel of the rear shock. I have gotten my X-Fusion Vector pretty dialed, and it's a couple orders of magnitude better than any experience I'd had before. I have been told that the Pike is really supportive through the middle portion of its travel, and stiffer than the 34. I hope to get one at some point.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

on a routine expedition
    ...I do know that my DBair with the HV can is amazing.
    Are you running any spacers in your XV can? I've been trying different configurations since I got the XV can and haven't found one I really like yet. First I tried the small spacer, and the shock just blew through its travel (13mm sag). Next I tried the larger spacer, same sag, and it was better but still a little soft for my tastes. This weekend I went back to the standard can with no spacers and liked the support, but I couldn't get all the travel.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome, me and three mates did 70 km really rough rooty and stony single track yesterday and it was my poor physique that gave in rather than the bike!

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-banshee-june-2013.jpg

Still missing a new handlebar, drop post and saddle but the Tune-wheels and Ikon tyre handled the rough Swedish terrain beautifully!

live long and huck
    No spacers, Marshall. I'm about 205-215 lbs riding weight, 3-4 ft drops max, lots of high speed basketball size chunk.

Powered by ice cream.
    They seem to be holding up really well in my desert terrain.
    I find the DHF on the front of the Prime to be a pretty amazing tire. Really like it thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Powered by ice cream.
    2.5 @ 28psi, on a Flow EX.
    Dang. I put 25 in it and probably let out 2-3 psi on today's ledgy ride. I am at least 5psi lower in the DHF than I used to run in a Bontrager FR3 (equivalent volume). I generally like firm tires also, but the DHF seems to hold its firmness at low pressures. I do not like it when tires get squiggly and will give up some comfort and traction and run a higher pressure to avoid that feeling.

All that to say I usually run tires a bit hard, but the DHF can be run fairly low psi.

MTB B'dos
    How much do you weigh Enel and are you running them tubeless and on what rims? I weigh anywhere from 175-195lbs geared to ride and find I hardly even run my front harder than 25PSI and that right now is the HR2 proto, normally when not so much gear I'm down around 21-22 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Dang. I put 25 in it and probably let out 2-3 psi on today's ledgy ride. I am at least 5psi lower in the DHF than I used to run in a Bontrager FR3 (equivalent volume). I generally like firm tires also, but the DHF seems to hold its firmness at low pressures. I do not like it when tires get squiggly and will give up some comfort and traction and run a higher pressure to avoid that feeling.

All that to say I usually run tires a bit hard, but the DHF can be run fairly low psi.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I did get in a few miles today for some test and tune on my new Pike, dropped the DHF to 27, DHRII to 29. Felt fine, I may go another 1 or 2 psi for my next ride. Fork is nice, plush at the top, firms up nicely at the bottom, with no really noticeable transition in between. I'm running 3 clicks from wide open for LSC, 3 clicks from full closed for rebound. I'm close only, and expect after a couple of ride to have to tweak it a bit. It seems to work very well for both lower speed chumkies, and also for high speed baby heads. I'm still farting around a bit with my HV can on my DBair. I though I about had it, but with this nice squishy fork, it's needing a little tweak also. I made a run down a .6 mile little techish dhish run near my house, missed my PR by 3 seconds. On an ankle that I fractured 2 weekends ago. My Prime made me do it.

beater

I've pinch flatted my DHF in front twice now (tubes, MTX33s). Probably in the low 20s. I have the front at 28-29 now, but since I'm using the gauge on an old Performance pump, that's a guesstimate.

The first one really surprised me, as I haven't had a front flat in years. The second was dumb- the rock was flatter than I realized, and I heard it hit the rim. One thing about these tires- the sidewalls are stiffer than I've used before, and they feel firmer at lower pressures. I really need to buy a gauge.

According to OTE Hurricane's FB updates, they're starting to get the Conti TKs with Black Chil / ProTection. I don't know that I care anymore. The Minions are fantastic. I'll probably try TKs at some point, but the new Magic Mary will be the next big tire I try.

live long and huck
    I'm thinking the Pike has 12 clicks compression, 20 clicks rebound. I'm at 75% open compression, 15% open rebound.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    How much do you weigh Enel and are you running them tubeless and on what rims? I weigh anywhere from 175-195lbs geared to ride and find I hardly even run my front harder than 25PSI and that right now is the HR2 proto, normally when not so much gear I'm down around 21-22 PSI.
    Maybe 195-200 all geared up. Tubeless, Flow rims. Don't know what compound I have.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've pinch flatted my DHF in front twice now (tubes, MTX33s). Probably in the low 20s. I have the front at 28-29 now, but since I'm using the gauge on an old Performance pump, that's a guesstimate.
    Wow. I find that pretty shocking. Maybe the wider rim makes it easier to pinch? I usually just drop pressures til I hit rims then add a little. For tech that ends up usually 27 front 30 rear. The DHF is allowing me to go significantly lower.

beater

I was petty surprised myself. I didn't think it was a pinch until I had time to look at the tube more closely (it happened on a timed leg of our local enduro series), but I did take the time to feel inside the tire, because I figured something had punctured it.

I ran Dissents around 20-22, but had to increase my pressures for Hans Dampfs. I dropped again with the Minions (not as low), but have bumped back up a little. 28F/32-34R is about where I am now.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Slowly, slowly getting my stuff together for my Prime build (time off the bike due to a decent injury as a result of an altercation with a truck has not helped).
    Need some help.
    What Chris King headset do I need?
    What fork should I get?
    I am a cheapskate and the $1200 price for the Pike has scared me off (especially with the Aussie $ the way it is currently).
    Next best option is the Fox?

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Pike isn't cheap but it is way better than all the other forks I have tried.

Are you going 140mm or 150mm ?

If not the pike the X Fusion is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Slowly, slowly getting my stuff together for my Prime build (time off the bike due to a decent injury as a result of an altercation with a truck has not helped).
    Need some help.
    What fork should I get?
    I am a cheapskate and the $1200 price for the Pike has scared me off (especially with the Aussie $ the way it is currently).
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

The Mountain Bike Life
    The Pike does look like a great fork...but I did not want to wait...and the X-Fusion was much cheaper so I picked that up. So far I have really been liking it:

The Mountain Bike Life: X-Fusion Trace RL2 - Product Preview

I came from a Marz 55 RC3 that was custom valved and so far really do not notice a ton of difference.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The Pike isn't cheap but it is way better than all the other forks I have tried.

Are you going 140mm or 150mm ?

If not the pike the X Fusion is a good option.
    Thinking 150mm.

mtbr member
    For CK headsets you will need the Inset 2.
    If not the Pike, then have a good look at xfusion.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    The Pike does look like a great fork...but I did not want to wait...and the X-Fusion was much cheaper so I picked that up. So far I have really been liking it:

I came from a Marz 55 RC3 that was custom valved and so far really do not notice a ton of difference.
    Thanks for the link.
    Will have a read tonight.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    For CK headsets you will need the Inset 2.
    If not the Pike, then have a good look at xfusion.
    Cheers

MTB B'dos
    If you must use CK Chris King I2 44/56 ZS Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Fork wise, agree with MP on the X-Fusion TRACE, most definitely a much cheaper options compared to RS and Fox and definitely a nice fork for the $$.
    Need some help.
    What fork should I get?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post

Any good leads for wher eto buy one of these?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Prime suitable for swedish DH - check!
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-vall2.jpg

Steel is Real

Grape flavored Primetimes

Hey guys, lots of good looking bikes here, here's my prime. New to the forum and banshee. Build came together and more bits coming day by day. Best bike I've ever ridden, handles everything, and crushes enduros like a champ. cheers
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-photo-3-.jpg
    #twerkteam #younggohards #JRA
    Fixed gears aint broke // All mountain all the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hey Boberinoe, that's a great photo. is this in Idaho as per your location? tell us more about your bike. also, if that's you in your personal profile next to the water with your bike, i most definitely am in love with you. if it's your girlfriend, well, i love her!

FM
    mtbr member
    Really digging the Pike so far. Big rocky descent yesterday and the pike really shined.

Also went to a wolftooth 30t stepped ring- Now running shimano 10spd chain and zee clutch derailuer with Sram 9spd shifters and cassette- working awesome! Quiet with no lower chainguide!

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-_dsc5316.jpg

mtbr member
    +1 on the Wolftooth ring, much more secure with the alternating tooth thickness. I see you did the same decal removals on your DT and rear triangle. I think it looks better that way.

live long and huck
    FM, 10 sp chain works ok with a 9sp cassette? I can't remember, you're 1x, or 2x? I knew that you'd like the fork. Did you get the 46mm offset, or a 51?

live long and huck
    Nevermind about the 1x question, I just went on the wolf tooth website. Brings to mind another question though. You do all of that climbing with a 30 tooth ring, no granny on the front?

mtbr member
    It is a 51mm offset 150mm Pike I believe.

live long and huck
    I'd love to ride both, back to back, to see if I made a mistake buying the 140mm 46. But, it rides so much nicer than it did with the Fox, if it was any better I'd have to pull off the trail and pleasure myself.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Just some info that some maybe keen to know.

On my wife's bike, she has a sram 10speed shifter & rear derailieur & I have put a XX1 cassette on it & use the 1st 10 gears 42 through to 11, With wolftooth front ring & it works great.

With the X01 cassette coming out next month that could be a good option for some with a 1x setup.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    I'd love to ride both, back to back, to see if I made a mistake buying the 140mm 46. But, it rides so much nicer than it did with the Fox, if it was any better I'd have to pull off the trail and pleasure myself.
    That pretty much sums up my experiences with the Pike vs. Fox.

That could be their new slogan... "Rockshox Pike: So good that if it was any better you'd have to pull off the trail and pleasure yourself"

live long and huck

FM
    mtbr member
    You do all of that climbing with a 30 tooth ring, no granny on the front?
    I do a lot of pushing

Yesterday we pushed up 4600' in ~3 miles- a granny gear wouldn't have helped me at all!
    Generally what I've noticed is that walking is faster than pedaling with a gear easier than a 30f/36r. With my gearing I walk more often, but ride a little faster too, compared to my 2x days.

Muzzanic, thats good to know on the xx1!

Yes, I went with the 51mm offset, I gather the difference is pretty minimal vs. the 46mm.
    Have to agree the pike is pretty phenomenal. 5700' or rocky DH yesterday... great day to tune it in.

live long and huck
    Muzzanic, it would be safe to assume that you had to use the XD freehub body, or is there a way around that.

I've been doing a little looking at some e*thirteen TRS single ring cranks, interesting, and they have a 28 tooth chainring, for those of us who don't have a XX1 42 tooth cog.

mtbr member
    I've had good success with my X0 cranks, can run down to a 27T last time I checked.

live long and huck
    I'll have to look into that, Colin. The only cranks that I've ever used besides Shimano is Race Face, one time, and I didn't care for them. I've never really looked at the Sram stuff.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'll have to look into that, Colin. The only cranks that I've ever used besides Shimano is Race Face, one time, and I didn't care for them. I've never really looked at the Sram stuff.
    Wolftooth are also making 24 & 26 tooth Gxp chain rings in September

They allreay do 28,30, 32,34 etc

beater

While I really liked my SLX M665 crankset, Shimano was never in consideration for my Prime build. I was only looking at cranksets with removable spiders so that I preserved the option of a 1x drivetrain. I'm completely satisfied with X9, although I would have chosen X0 if I hadn't been watching my bottom line. The X9 bashring is pretty much cosmetic, though, and I replaced it with an e13 straight away. Single ring drive trains have gotten more viable since then, and I don't think I'd ever buy a crankset that doesn't have a removable spider. YMMV.

mtbr member
    I feel you on the removable spider cranks. I've got a X9 and X0 as well. I really want to bling out my SB95c and get the turquoise SixC crank, but I don't want to go back to chainring bolts. Even though I do think you can run down to a 30T on the new Race Face narrow/wide rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does anyone tried a RS Vivid Air? I'm not really satisfied with the Fox CTD shock on my Prime and thinking about the Vivid or the DB. On the DB I'm confused about the air can as the XV is recommended by the CaneCreek FitFinder, but the frames seem to be fitted with the normal air can?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi Guys,
    Ive been running the prime since January now and its been great ride. I am now however getting some squeeking noisies from the rear end and I think it might be time to replace the bearings, does anyone have a list of which to obtain or if there is a kit available. I looked on the UK distributors website and couldnt see anything listed for the V2 frames or an exploded diagram on the banshee website.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks
    Ant.
    p.s. how are those Pikes holding up FM? Much better than 34s?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Before changing bearings I'd check that everything was greased and tight. So dissassemble the pivots and grease the axles, rotate the inner race of the bearings by hand 240 degrees and reassemble to torque.

The bearings should last a lot longer than 6 months (mine are 2 years old and still going strong) unless they have been contaminated.

If you do need to replace the bearings then you need the following:

Lower 2 pivots: 6001 2RS
    Upper 2 pivots: 608 2RS

I recommend using INA quality bearings or equivalent.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

TR
    Angry bunny
    Still collecting parts.
    Any other suggestions for blue headsets aside from King?
    Anything a little cheaper?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Keith, I will do as you suggested, living in yea old Wales Iíve put about 2000km on it in some truly awful conditions and itís just something that Iíve noticed in the last week. Of course it could be something like the DU bushings Iíll take it apart this weekend and have a bash, I still love riding it and gets me in and out of trouble all the time, its crazy how fast you can go with it. I wanted to take it on the Megavalanche but I wasnít quite happy with the fork for such a task. maybe Marz will bring out a 29er Ti coil, or perhaps thatís just wishful thinking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ha, yeah, I guess 2000km in Welsh mud is the equivalent of several years of riding in most places. Has been a while since I rode in wales, but the mud down there is certainly a bit different to scottish mud, seemed more gritty and less slippy to me. Fun times!

Regarding forks... Dennis hear at banshee has been testing the new pikes and is very happy with them, and I personally can also recommend the Xfusion Trace.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Still collecting parts.
    Any other suggestions for blue headsets aside from King?
    Anything a little cheaper?
    I think Cane Creek 110 series is available in blue. I have CC 40's in all my bikes, no complaints.