Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    FM
    mtbr member

_DSC3497 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

_DSC3496 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yup, pics like that prove that is one of the nicest looking 29er frames around for sure.

I <3 my Prime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post

_DSC3497 by emailsucks98, on Flickr
    so you are running 10 speed shimano rear derailler with 9 speed sram shifters? any mods necessary to do that?

mtbr member
    Finally got around to cleaning up my Prime for some pics, too busy riding and it was quite a mess, but yesterday was a rainy day off so did a bit of spit 'n polish. Took a while to build as my DBAir arrived d.o.a. (wasn't holding air), didn't realize it until I was able to build the bike which was a month after I had the frame...

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-dsc_0350.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-dsc_0353.jpg
    Build spec;

XL frame w/ DBAir
    Fox Float 34 (not CTD thankfully!)
    XT drivetrain
    RF Turbine 180mm cranks - 32/22 w/bash
    Hope EVO hubs w/ Project 321 green Flow rims
    Chromag 60mm stem w/ RF SixC bars - green
    Ergon cork grips
    CK Inset 2 headset - green
    Thompson post while dropper is out for service
    WTB Laser seat

MTB B'dos
    First one I've seen with green accents, looks pretty nice. I think a frame in that anodized green would look sweet Curious how tall are you Martin, can't remember exactly? Think you're somewhere a bit taller than me, running fairly similar cockpit fit. Sucks when you get new stuff and put it down waiting to use/build/work with it only to then find out it's defective and needs to be sent back.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Finally got around to cleaning up my Prime for some pics, too busy riding and it was quite a mess, but yesterday was a rainy day off so did a bit of spit 'n polish. Took a while to build as my DBAir arrived d.o.a. (wasn't holding air), didn't realize it until I was able to build the bike which was a month after I had the frame...
    Build spec;

XL frame w/ DBAir / Fox Float 34 (not CTD thankfully!)/XT drivetrain / RF Turbine 180mm cranks - 32/22 w/bash / Hope EVO hubs w/ Project 321 green Flow rims / Chromag 60mm stem w/ RF SixC bars - green / Ergon cork grips / CK Inset 2 headset - green / Thompson post while dropper is out for service / WTB Laser seat
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I'm a bit over 6' 3", shorter legs for my height at 34" inseam.
    Yeah the shock issue was a bit of a pain, but the service centre in North Vancouver was pretty quick with the turnaround, but Canada Post decided to send it out on a bit of a tour (through Winnipeg, which is 3 provinces over from BC). Cane Creek apparently dynos each shock so it is very rare for them to have issues, mine was the first leaker they had seen with a brand new shock.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    so you are running 10 speed shimano rear derailler with 9 speed sram shifters? any mods necessary to do that?
    Correct. My ghetto drive train is working fabulously!
    10-spd Zee clutch der.
    9spd XO shifters & chain
    XT 9-spd 12-34 casette with ebay add-on 36t cog (removed the 13t? to keep it 9spd)
    Andersen Machineworks 30t chainring
    Blackspire der chainguide

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm a Clyde who rides xc trails that are just rough enough to make my back sore after a long ride. Don't do any big dh stuff, but I don't want to give up too much climbing ability (90% of climbs done well on my yelli ht).

Would the prime be overkill for a 275 Lb Clyde looking for a beefy fs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    not necessarily. if you want a large and strong bike, the Prime surely is. you can keep it in the "steepest" setting for better xc handling (not remotely steep) and build the bike to your wishes. many people ride bikes that are ultimately more capable than they require but you seem like a good candidate. now if you said you were race oriented, clearly this wouldn't be a good choice. having said that a local racy clyde is currently using it as his only bike, and has been doing xc races on it. he's a former pro roadie and crazy strong and fit and does well, but obviously (and he knows it) it's not an xc race bike. enduro maybe, xc no.

MTB B'dos
    If you don't want a frame that flexes under you, I'd say most definitely would make an excellent one bike. You could easily build it solidly <32lbs. I use mine for loads of climbing and yes a lighter frame would be nicer, but I know I can't break this thing and once there's none of those guys with S-Works/Ultimates in the 22-23lb range trying to out climb me and have me having to push to keep ahead, I don't mind FYI, I only weigh about 165lbs, 6'2".

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I'm a Clyde who rides xc trails that are just rough enough to make my back sore after a long ride. Don't do any big dh stuff, but I don't want to give up too much climbing ability (90% of climbs done well on my yelli ht).

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Correct. My ghetto drive train is working fabulously!
    10-spd Zee clutch der.
    9spd XO shifters & chain
    XT 9-spd 12-34 casette with ebay add-on 36t cog (removed the 13t? to keep it 9spd)
    Andersen Machineworks 30t chainring
    Blackspire der chainguide
    thanks

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

The Prime IS a full suspension Yelli I've had a Yelli and ride a Prime now for the exact same reason as you're stating; my back was always sore after a 2+ hr day on a hardtail so I moved on to full suspension. If you love your Yelli but want the back saving dual suspension, stop thinking and order one before they're all gone!

beater
    I climb things on my Prime that I couldn't on my Yelli, or I make it farther before running out of gas. The longer rear center (i.e. chainstays) and tighter cockpit means better weight distribution when it gets really steep, and the great suspension helps when it's rough and/or loose. The only time I was faster on my Yelli was on moderate (middle ring country) and smooth climbs, despite the efficiency and lighter weight of a hardtail.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The prime is the yelli,'s fs cousin? I like the sound of that. I might have to look around for a nice used teams in the XML variety.

MTB B'dos
    I'd have to concur, 'cept I had a Paradox and I thought it was absolutely the best climber, UNTIL I got the Prime. As Evasive said, only on smoother climbs did th4e Paradox beat the Prime, but once it gets chunky the Prime just gobbles it up. Also agree that while I loved my Paradox, anything linger than 2.5 hours and I felt it the rest of the day, body just isn't as young or nimble as it used to be, so having to use it as most of your suspension just wasn't happening for me.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I climb things on my Prime that I couldn't on my Yelli, or I make it farther before running out of gas. The longer rear center (i.e. chainstays) and tighter cockpit means better weight distribution when it gets really steep, and the great suspension helps when it's rough and/or loose. The only time I was faster on my Yelli was on moderate (middle ring country) and smooth climbs, despite the efficiency and lighter weight of a hardtail.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd have to concur, 'cept I had a Paradox and I thought it was absolutely the best climber, UNTIL I got the Prime. As Evasive said, only on smoother climbs did the Paradox beat the Prime, but once it gets chunky the Prime just gobbles it up.
    Gotta agree 100%. It amazes me what my Prime claws it's way up.

mtbr member
    Yup, Primes are great climbers. I leant my buddy my Prime during a ride because I kept out climbing him on his Spec Epic 29 (he's no slouch) which weighs about 5 - 6 lbs less. He was blown away, then I let him ride it down, he didn't want to give it back. All he asked was what I thought he could sell his Spec for...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can any big fellas vouch for the climbing prowess of the prime? I just am afraid of bobbing up the hill if standing and mashing.

beater
    Can any big fellas vouch for the climbing prowess of the prime? I just am afraid of bobbing up the hill if standing and mashing.
    You can stop worrying.

Mine is pre-production, so the kinematics aren't completely identical, but it's very efficient. I have a X-Fusion Vector Air HLR shock on mine, set up with very little low-speed compression damping. When riding on the road, the shaft barely moves. I hammer short climbs out of the saddle all the time, and it just takes off. I tend to be a seated climber for most sustained climbs, though.

mtbr member
    Thought I just did!
    It will climb anything your legs can handle.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

My buddy just rode mine last week. We swapped bikes for about an hr. no fiddling with air pressures or anything. Straight across hand off. The Prime blew him away! He was amazed at the pedaling and plushness thru rough stuff. Oh...he came off an SB95 setup for him. He weighs 220 and u weigh 170. 50 pound difference in the shock setups and all he said was my front end was too soft

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I'm 6'2" and 250. I don't notice any significant bobbing. I have yet to feel like I'm being robbed of energy regardless of how I pedal up. It just goes and goes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    this is such a good looking frame. i think it fits what im looking for but its hard to commit with no local dealer to at least get a feel for it...

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab70 View Post
    this is such a good looking frame. i think it fits what im looking for but its hard to commit with no local dealer to at least get a feel for it...
    Same boat here. I've studied pretty carefully, and I think this is going to be my next bike. But it does take somewhat of a leap of faith to drop 2k without being able to ride one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Same boat here. I've studied pretty carefully, and I think this is going to be my next bike. But it does take somewhat of a leap of faith to drop 2k without being able to ride one.
    For what its worth, its my One-bike, XC, trails, tech-stuff, alpine riding, done it all and never felt under-biked.

I have completely shagged Ardent on back and only now i have traction problems... in mud.

I like the balance of the bike myself for trail riding, its easy to handle on single track and its super fun to boost over roots and rocks.

I don't have local dealer either but i dont foresee any problems with the frame for awhile since its stiff and sturdy.

In short: Buy it.

TR
    Angry bunny
    People still test ride bikes????

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Not me

beater
    I just am afraid of bobbing up the hill if standing and mashing.
    Can you clarify why you're worried about it? Is this your first full-suspension bike? First mini-link bike? I looked at your profile but it didn't tell me what you're riding now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Can you clarify why you're worried about it? Is this your first full-suspension bike? First mini-link bike? I looked at your profile but it didn't tell me what you're riding now.
    I appreciate you taking the time to look at what I am riding to get a better idea of my background. I will update my profile to make it easier for others.

I currently ride a Yelli, a 9:ZERO:7, and a road bike. I have ZERO experience with FS bikes of any sort. I just know that my lbs has straight up said I will have a difficult time getting a FS bike setup correctly. Being a man of larger size, I have always experienced issues with fit, form, and function.

I am just worried that my size will push the suspension settings to a point that they are not operating within their designed limits, and not perform correctly.

Can you point out the advantages of mini-link?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Mini link bikes are usually stiffer. Shorter links flex less. Pretty straightforward The Prime in particular is VERY stiff! It's overbuilt and intended to be used for TRUE all mountain use. It most definitely is one of a few bikes that are "right" for you since you're a bigger guy. The only "issue" you would possibly run into is shock reliability. I don't think 250lbs is past the realm of possibility for the Fox air shock that comes with it but I've been wrong before.

Honestly, you should message Keith and talk to him about your concern. He's a great guy and will try to help you and not just try to sell you something. Maybe ask him about swapping the air shock for a coil of some sort, OR, possibly buying the frame sans shock for a discount and buying the appropriate coil shock with the savings. His MTBR ID is builttoride...

beater

I'm generalizing and I'm far from an authority, but in general, mini link bikes are less prone to pedal-induced movement than some other designs. There are very few bad behaving bikes out there any longer though- they've pretty much been weeded out. And as noted, they're commonly stiffer. Also, if you look at the Prime and the other KS-Link bikes, the links are short, beefy, and most of the pivots are contained in the frame. I remember seeing FM mention that his Prime is stiffer than some 7" freeride bikes. All of that is good for a heavier rider.

At 250 your issue may be getting a shock that has the right spring rate for you. I'm 230 and my X Fusion Vector Air is fantastic. If you go with the Prime, the Cane Creek is probably a better option than the CTD, but it's a shock with a LOT of adjustments. But CC seems to want to also work with customers who aren't seriously into tinkering, and they seem to offer pretty good support with stock settings and their own user forum (from my perspective at least; no direct experience).

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Another tidbit of info...

I've owned a Turner Sultan and a Pivot Mach429. I've extensively ridden a Yeti SB95, a Niner Rip9 and a Santa Cruz Tallboy. All five of those bikes are NOTORIOUSLY awesome pedaling bikes and some of the most popular on the market. The Prime, TO ME, pedals just as well as any of them and actually climbs better. The short rear end and overall better geometry along with modern AM geometry is simply awesome. I really have zero wandering thoughts about any other 29er on the market. I've never been able to say that before! The ONLY bike that would make me sell my Prime is...drum roll...a carbon Prime

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Another tidbit of info...

I've owned a Turner Sultan and a Pivot Mach429. I've extensively ridden a Yeti SB95, a Niner Rip9 and a Santa Cruz Tallboy. All five of those bikes are NOTORIOUSLY awesome pedaling bikes and some of the most popular on the market. The Prime, TO ME, pedals just as well as any of them and actually climbs better. The short rear end and overall better geometry along with modern AM geometry is simply awesome. I really have zero wandering thoughts about any other 29er on the market. I've never been able to say that before! The ONLY bike that would make me sell my Prime is...drum roll...a carbon Prime
    Ok, you've convinced me! My first bike was an Ironhorse DW-Link bike, and I've done extensive demos of the 429 and Sultan. If it hangs with them in the pedaling dept., I'm good to go.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Now you have the hardest decision yet...picking a color!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Ok, you've convinced me! My first bike was an Ironhorse DW-Link bike, and I've done extensive demos of the 429 and Sultan. If it hangs with them in the pedaling dept., I'm good to go.
    It pedals well enough that I've never even tried the C(climb) setting on my Fox CTD rear shock. It's on T(trail) 99% of the time. There's a few REALLY rocky downhills that my buddy and I like to stop, eat a snack, then tackle in the D(descend) setting just for sh!ts and grins

MTB B'dos
    I'm on a pre-production and recently I've assembled and fitted several bikes including Giant AnthemX and TranceX and I have to say, that even though the suspension has been imrpoved upon for production, my PP Prime pedals better than either of them and yet still the small bump compliance is unreal. Right now running an older RP23, mostly with the Pro Pedal off except for road sections. After riding the TranceX just this morning I am seriously Jonesing for the Phantom sometime 2014>
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

live long and huck
    My CCDBair is dialed nice and plush, with just enough low speed to give some nice bob resistance, I climb extensively with it fully active, best chunky tech climbing bike that I've even ridden. Just last night I picked up one of the new RS Pikes, looks like a really nice unit. It seems super smooth, I'm hoping that it's a better match for my shock than my F34 Talas is. It's going to be a few weeks until I can give a report though, I'm nursing a severe sprain and multiple fractured navicular from a ride gone wrong last weekend.

live long and huck
    Against my better judgement, installed my Pike. I took it for a bit of a ride around my neighborhood, jumped some curbs, and got a nice feel for how smooth and plush this fork is. It has a similar feel as my DBair, not mushy by any means, but lots of smooth travel, firming up at the bottom.

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0277.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0276.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0275.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    sounds really good so far. what version it is? 140/150 or even dual position?

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post
    sounds really good so far. what version it is? 140/150 or even dual position?
    140mm, solo air. Just hard braking on the road, it feels pretty stiff in a forward/backward direction.

mtbr member
    I think I need one!

MTB B'dos
    Optimus, can you do some close ups of the arch clearance with the DHFs please? Thanks. Looks like there's SOME clearance, but not as much as I'd like. Is the DHF the biggest tyre you've had Optimus?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Optimus that is a great lookin ride, set up the way I been thinking with pike and dbair. Can't wait to get some feedback onk ur rides
    Heal up fast!

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Optimus, can you do some close ups of the arch clearance with the DHFs please? Thanks. Looks like there's SOME clearance, but not as much as I'd like. Is the DHF the biggest tyre you've had Optimus?
    Yes, the DHF is my largest tire, and to be honest, I don't really see myself having any desire to go larger. Funny thing about the DHF/DHRII combo, it doesn't feel fast, or exciting, or even remarkable in any way. But, I either GPS or Strava all of my rides, and my times are averaging faster on anything flatish and substantially faster on anything downhill. Climbing is about the same, even though they're heavier tires, I think the increased traction makes up for it. I usually ride Specialized Butchers and Purgatories. These tires are my first experience with Maxxis, and so far, I really like them. They seem to be holding up really well in my desert terrain.

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0281.jpg

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0283.jpg

mtbr member
    WHat size tire?

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    WHat size tire?
    2.5 @ 28psi, on a Flow EX.

mtbr member
    Very nice clearance then!

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the pics Dude, much better clearance than previous RS forks, that's for sure. Still though, I'm quite happy with my F34 right now and when I can afford a new fork it'll be the X-Fusion TRACE, because they're good product and cost about 2/3-3/4 the price of Fox/RS these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Yes, the DHF is my largest tire, and to be honest, I don't really see myself having any desire to go larger. .....These tires are my first experience with Maxxis, and so far, I really like them. They seem to be holding up really well in my desert terrain.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

live long and huck
    LyNx, I don't remember, is your F34 a Talas? Mine is, and what I've found, is to get mine to perform with a nice level of plushness, I have to adjust it such that I blow through all of my travel too easily. I probably never would have thought much about it, but then I started riding my DBair, and realized how smooth mtb suspension can feel. Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are probably many things that I do not know about suspension tuning, but I do know that my DBair with the HV can is amazing. I also know that I have not been able to get my Talas adjusted to the point where it feels as if it's working in a very similar fashion. I'm anxious to get out for a real ride on my Pike, because as I stated above, it's characteristics jumping off some curbs indicate that it may feel very similar in action to my shock. Or not, we'll see. And it also feels more "heavy duty", which should be right at home on a Prime frame. But, I like goofing around with new parts, searching for what works really well, for me. I looked briefly at the XFusion stuff, no particular reason why I didn't try it. I've always been a Fox guy, but I find this new Pike to be very interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got 2012 Float-FIT F34 before all this CTD crap started and i'm happy with it... although i think my crown has started to creak.