• 05-20-2013
    sakucee
    DHX-A started to gurgle.. well shit.

Stuck the CTD on it, it was way less shitty than i thought, props to Keith being able make air shocks to work so well on this frame. :)
  • 05-21-2013
    pinkey
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 801105

on top of mountain, ~1150m climb in kitzbühel and then a very cool singletrail all the way down which had everything from flow to technical stuff. best trail that i have ridden so far.

still need to tune my suspension. was not that satisfied.
  • 05-21-2013
    sakucee
    It might be.... challenging to find set up for CCDBA for the alpine climb-grinding.

Nice bike!
  • 05-21-2013
    FM
    3 Attachment(s)
    Now in the production club
    I really enjoyed my proto….so much I went for a production frame! Swapped all the parts, including the rear shock over.

I’ve got about 7 good rides in on it, all have been awesome early season rides with some big climbs and very technical descents (lots of loam & big bike territory!) The lighter weight is definitely noticeable & aappreciated on the climbs and rolly stuff. I did the first ride in the neutral setting (about 3k’ up&down)- felt great and I will definitely use those chips when travelling. For the local stuff I ride most often the slacker setting feels better.

The suspension feels more progressive- I am running just a bit more air, yet it feels more supple at the top of the stroke and I am not bottoming out as often. I had no complaints about the proto, but the production bike is definitely improved in the regard. The flipchip drop outs are genious… I am also using the banshee munrow headset and it’s trouble free so far. The 142 rear is also a nice improvement over my old 135x10 bolt through.

Also of interest- I’m running 9spd SRAM shifters with the 10spd shimano zee clutch derailuer. I know somebody else mentioned running a smilar set-up. Works great… certainly far better that my straight sram 9spd stuff ever did!

Attachment 801113

Attachment 801115

Thanks to Chad for the action shot! :)
    Attachment 801116

Build
    Medium prime frame, slack setting, 142 drops
    PUSH'd fox rp23 with bighit kit
    Banshee munroe headset
    Fox float 34 RLC
    Easton Haven Carbon wheels
    Schwalbe HD F, NN r, 2.35
    Sram 9spd shifters, Shimano Zee 10spd clutch der
    Blackspire Der chainguide
    E.13 LG1 cranks, Anderson machine works 30t ring
    12/36 cassette (12/34 XT with an eBay 36t add-on replacing the 13t cog)
    Straitline amp pedals
    Formula The One brakes, 203/180
    KS Lev 150mm seatpost, chromag lynx saddle
    Raceface 30” bars, 50mm straitline stem
  • 05-21-2013
    eurospek
    Flo yellow
  • 05-21-2013
    evasive
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread
    I really like that color, but my buddy just built up a day glow yellow Chilcotin. We used to have matching brown ano frames: a WFO and an Endorphin, but we don't want to go back to looking like twins in sailor suits.
  • 05-21-2013
    FM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I really like that color, but my buddy just built up a day glow yellow Chilcotin. We used to have matching brown ano frames: a WFO and an Endorphin, but we don't want to go back to looking like twins in sailor suits.

Thats hilarious- one of my riding buddies picked up a yellow carbon SC bronson which arrived just before my Prime. We joke about getting matching enduro pajama kits! Fortunately the bronson flo yellow looks more mustard, compared to the banshee yellow.

It's a tricky color to photograph, particularly in wet conditions (as the last few rides have been)- it ends up glowing!

I appreciated that the decals were applied over the paint. :)
  • 05-21-2013
    sakucee
    Try shooting glo colors with snow on background.... digital camera goes WTFBBBQ and the colors come out all wrong.... :P

Went for ride on CTD again today, the bike slays tech climbs now, in span of 2 days i've climbed stuff which has been no go for 3 years now.
  • 05-21-2013
    evasive
    1 Attachment(s)
    I'll probably keep flogging my pre-production for another year or so, but I'm still thrilled with it so it's no hardship. I recently put some big-boy tires on it, and I am a happy camper.

Attachment 801148
  • 05-21-2013
    boomforeal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by evasive View Post

hohoh that looks sick. i just picked up a 2nd hand pre-pro frame and should have it built up next week. stoked
  • 05-21-2013
    evasive
    Thanks. I think you'll like it.
  • 05-23-2013
    filbike
    4 Attachment(s)
    Here it is...the yellow beast.
    So satisfied and stoked about this frame.
    I think it is also the best looking and proportionate 29er so far.Attachment 801611Attachment 801612Attachment 801613Attachment 801614
  • 05-23-2013
    pinkey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    It might be.... challenging to find set up for CCDBA for the alpine climb-grinding.

Nice bike!

thx.

the db air is not perfectly set up and needs some fine tune but its "OK" downhill and "GOOD" at climbing, maybe need some less HSC.

The fork is the main problem. in my opinion its harder to setup then the db air. with the db air you get so much help from cane creek and tips how to set it up correctly, but the sram manuals are so worse and i dont like the dual air system at all.

the fox 34 talas that i rode on a LTc testbike was set up fine within a few minutes.
  • 05-23-2013
    mudpuppy
    Oh man, I thought I was going to be the first to rock the red and yellow combo...you beat me to it by a few days...lol. Lookin good!
  • 05-24-2013
    C.P.
  • 05-24-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    Black Prime w/ 150MM drop option & Cane Creek DBAir ordered & shipping for arrival by May 31...let the build fun begin...

Thought I recognized your name. Jeff here from the Mon/Tues. night rides (I had the Jamis Dakar 650B which I sold) So you finally ordered the new frame. Congrats! I demoed the Prime from Blackstone Bikes and it was sweet but I ended up ordering the Spitfire V2 in Raw which I still need to build up but should finally have all the parts I need as of today. Would rather be building up the new bike but I"m heading to the Whites for the weekend for a 3 day hike and lots of rain predicted.

Hope to see you on the trails soon on our new bikes.
  • 05-24-2013
    filbike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Oh man, I thought I was going to be the first to rock the red and yellow combo...you beat me to it by a few days...lol. Lookin good!

:thumbsup: wanna see your build :thumbsup:
  • 05-24-2013
    C.P.
  • 05-24-2013
    mudpuppy
    I will post it up as soon as it's done! :)
  • 05-28-2013
    Elpanzer
    For those who happen to come to Malaysia, this is where we ride... Sweet singletraks in the jungle, nasty roots and sharp rocks. Oh, and mozzies! Lots of them...

Riders: Alan Knowles on Banshee Spitfire 650 and myself on Banshee Prime. The Prime definitely rocks.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/5RrAIJ5JPPQ
  • 05-29-2013
    mudpuppy
    Here is my yellow beast!

• 05-29-2013
    FM
    Nice! Team yeller!
  • 05-30-2013
    filbike
    Nice the red crank !!
    is Frame XL ?
  • 05-31-2013
    mudpuppy
    Thanks! Some red in the wheels would help, but I wanted to give these wheels a try...and love em so far...we'll see how they hold up.

Yeah it's an XL and it fits me better than any recent bike that I have owned. Here is a full rundown of the build:

Banshee Prime Frame XL - 142 rear end - w/Fox CTD Kashima shock
    Xfusion Trace Forks
    Spank Oozy Wheels - tubeless with Specialized GC 2.3 rear tire and Purg 2.3 front
    Spank Spike FR Berrecloth signature bars
    Spank Spike 35mm stem
    Chromag Grips
    Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
    Chromag seat clamp
    Saint Brakes
    Sram x9 drivetrain 1x10 28t front 11x36 rear
    Straitline Lynosky pedals
    KS i950-r dropper post
    Race Face Atlas Cranks
  • 05-31-2013
    eurospek
    If you ever want to sell the XL flo yellow frame, give me first dibs! :D I've been on the hunt.
  • 05-31-2013
    butthead
    2 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 804334
    Attachment 804335

Frame: large, black ano
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation
    Wheels: Stan's Flow laced to Azonic hubs
    Cranks: Shimano SLX, 38/24
    Drivetrain: mix of SLX and XT
    Brakes: Avid Code 5
    Tires: Continental Mountain X, 2.4
  • 06-01-2013
    Marshall Willanholly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    So for those of you running the CC DBAir, how many of you have upgraded to the (recommended by CaneCreek) XV can and did it make a big difference (especially if you are a bigger rider)? I'm still waiting for the snow to melt (and a headset) before I can get mine out on the road to start dialing it in, so I've got the time to order one if it's worthwhile.

I just put on the XV can last night. I started with the base settings on the CC website, which indicated no air volume spacers. I wondered if this was correct after looking at the Rune settings, which are identical apart from the recommended sag and the indication to use a large volume spacer. I decided to put the small spacer in and try it out.

I set my sag to 13mm (with riding gear) and went for a ride today. Nothing too gnarly, but checking the shock at the end of the run I saw it had bottomed out. I didn't think I had hit anything that should have bottomed the shock, so I added 1/2 turn of HSC and went up again (shuttle day fundraiser at the local trails). This time I used all but the last few mm on the shaft, but I still think I would like a little more support. I'm thinking either going with the large spacer or switching back to the stock air can and backing off the HSC.
  • 06-01-2013
    Colin+M
    When I had my DBair on my Prime, I liked it better with the regular can and a few volume spacers. In my experience, especially for bigger riders, large volume air cans are a no go unless you want to blow through travel easily.

On a side note, since I sold my Prime my DBair is lonely and sitting on my bench if anyone is interested.
  • 06-02-2013
    mudpuppy
    Haha...if I ever think about it I will letcha know. :)
  • 06-03-2013
    sakucee
    More riding, more stoked. If you are considering, buy this frame. So good. :D
  • 06-03-2013
    boomforeal
    1 Attachment(s)
    after riding a 29er hardtail for the first half of this year, i jumped on a chance to buy a 2nd hand v1 frame. got it built up last week and had a chance to ride it a few times on the shore this past weekend: this bike ****ing owns!

Attachment 805021

so fair enough the frame is on the heavy side. but even with my isx's compression settings at full open, this thing absolutely rockets up the climbs. i have to admit i didn't follow the development process of this frame: would someone care to explain why one would by a v2 version of this frame rather than just riding the v1 (other than the weight, and the fact that banshee's 2014 black on black color scheme looks totally killer)?
  • 06-03-2013
    sakucee
    Narrower swingarm, slightly shorter ETT on med, i think, lower HT height and it is tapered, different leverage curve.
  • 06-03-2013
    LyNx
    As Saukucee said, loads of very small, but nice changes from pre-production (which you have, which is not in fact a not V1) to production, all culminating from feedback of the 70 or so riders who got their hands on one of these. A few of the original testers have production frames now and they are noticing these small differences, so they're definitely there and noticeable. I'd really like to try out a production frame, but chances of that down here are slim to none, unless of course I pick one up sometime.

Of course, as you say, it rides fantastic, so no real reason to spend $$ if things are tight, plus it's also nice to have a piece of history as such. Just did a lower oil change today on my F34-140mm FIT and saw the extra hole in the air rod, so extended travel to 150mm, just have to wait to ride tomorrow to see how it feels.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    after riding a 29er hardtail for the first half of this year, i jumped on a chance to buy a 2nd hand v1 frame. got it built up last week and had a chance to ride it a few times on the shore this past weekend: this bike ****ing owns!

Attachment 805021

so fair enough the frame is on the heavy side. but even with my isx's compression settings at full open, this thing absolutely rockets up the climbs. i have to admit i didn't follow the development process of this frame: would someone care to explain why one would by a v2 version of this frame rather than just riding the v1 (other than the weight, and the fact that banshee's 2014 black on black color scheme looks totally killer)?

• 06-03-2013
    FM
    Looks good Boomforreal!

Having owned both... the production version is 1lb or so lighter- which is very noticeable on the uphills and rollers.
    • The suspension feel on the production version feels more progressive to me. More supple at the top, a little more active, yet rides higher in the travel and ramps up more towards the end. That's how it feels to me anyways-running the same shock on both frames.
    • The flipchip design on the production frame is a nice improvement- aside from being lighter and easier to adjust, it actually shortens the wheelbase as you steepen the head angle & raise the BB. The pre-production frames are opposite- the wheelbase grows slightly as you steepen the angles.
    • The head tube length is actually a wash, if you run an interal/0-stack upper cup on the proto frame.
    • Seat tube is a little steeper & I think wheelbase is mm's shorter.
    • the front end of the pre-production frame feels just slightly stiffer to me (1.5 head tube & thicker-walled TT/DT?)

Overall... subtle improvements, but definitely nice improvements, especially on longer rides or for climbing. The pre-production bike was already pretty dialed for the descent. I think you'll like it even more after riding it for a while....
  • 06-03-2013
    tvan
    Should have the parts I need to assemble my Prime this week! Haven't seen many comments on dropout settings here. Any consensus on what the best position is for rocky, technical trails?
  • 06-04-2013
    pinkey
    My DB Air blows through the first 15-20mm of hub travel (some pressure on the seat without sitting on the bike is enough) and then there is a really noticeable resistance where it wouldnt use more travel even when pedaling hard uphill.

some db air owners noticed this aswell? is this normal behaviour?

a friends db air on his rune v2 acted somehow the same but only uses max 5mm travel.
  • 06-07-2013
    boudy
    Hey gang,

I'm looking for a set of 142mm dropouts for my pre-production frame, please PM if anyone has a set available. I already checked with the factory.

-E
  • 06-07-2013
    evasive
    I don't think you'll find any. Pre-productions came with either 135 or 150.
  • 06-07-2013
    LyNx
    You won't find any as Evasive said, there were only 135 or 150 options available for the pre-production frames. If by chance you decide to give 150mm a go, good luck getting anyone to part with theirs :skep:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boudy View Post
    Hey gang,

I'm looking for a set of 142mm dropouts for my pre-production frame, please PM if anyone has a set available. I already checked with the factory.

-E

• 06-10-2013
    C.P.
  • 06-10-2013
    evasive
    I vote for option 1. I'm not wild about taco guards - they transmit the force of an impact directly to the ISCG tabs, rather than spreading it out through the whole BB area as a bash ring does.

I built mine about 6 weeks before the SRAM Type 2 derailleurs came out, and I haven't upgraded yet. W/o a guide I never dropped a chain to the BB, although I did occasionally have it slip from the 36 to the 24 ring. I suspect a Type 2 could replace my guide (e13 DRS), based on what my friends tell me about theirs.
  • 06-10-2013
    LyNx
    Haven't used a guide since I built mine over 15 months ago, haven't dropped the chain, only a couple times even when I wasn't running an FD and a 2X setup waiting for the FD to come "in stock" and I use an old M770 9spd RD.
    Quote:

Quick poll for a 2X10 setup...I have always run a bashring and never used a chain guide before (even on my DH rig). I also have a SRAM type 2 (cam style) derailleur for better chain management.

Building the Prime, I want to what's best for the occasional rock & log hit at the chainring...

Option 1.
    Bash ring (with Type 2 derailleur to keep things in check)

OR

Option 2
    E.Thirteen TRS+ Dual guide with tacoplate

Opinions and first hand experiences would be helpful. Thanks. (Prime build pics coming soon)

• 06-10-2013
    FM
    If you're set on 2x10 I would just run a bashguard and clutch derailuer. The FD + clutch r der should keep your chain on.

For 1x, I think a 10speed chain with a stepped front chainring (i.e. wolftooth) might quiet things down enough to not run the chainguide. After experimenting with nearly every configuration I'm back on a blackspire der chainguide and zee clutch derailuer in back. I don't like changuides but I like chainslap even less!
  • 06-12-2013
    C.P.
  • 06-12-2013
    Optimus
    I'm 2x10 with no clutching rear mech and no chain guide up front, riding some pretty chunky terrain, never a dropped chain.
  • 06-13-2013
    LyNx
    Looks nice man, SLX stuff these days is just so much bang for your $$$. On your tyre selection, how's the volume compare between those two? That's the Minion DHR2 right? Me personally, I'd have those tyres reversed with the Ardent on the rear, never had much luck with them on the front, that lack of transition knobs on our terrain and for my riding style don't mix well.

Quote:

so....very...stoked
    XL w/ 150/12mm thru & Cane Creek DB Air & Marzocchi 44Micro ti29 15mmthru set @ 140. Hadley hubs, MTX33, Minion R/Ardent F, XT icetech brakes, RaceFace Atlas Bars/Chromag stem, SRAM 2X10 der/shifters, SLX 2x Crank (waiting for bash from Blackspire).
    Some to-dos dropper post, chainstay protection & bashring...

• 06-13-2013
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

Building the Prime, I want to what's best for the occasional rock & log hit at the chainring...
    Option 1.
    Bash ring (with Type 2 derailleur to keep things in check)

Always a bash guard, aside from voiding warranties and potentially snapping bits off your frame, tacos can catch when you hit something and bring you to an abrupt halt.

It's not especially dangerous as it happens when you're going slow, but it's so annoying. Bash guards tend to rotate instead so you don't get stalled.
  • 06-13-2013
    C.P.
  • 06-13-2013
    boomforeal
    Quote:

Minion R/Ardent F

:shocked: :yikes: :lol: :out: :bluefrown: :nono: :madman: :confused:
  • 06-13-2013
    C.P.