Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sorry to bump again.

Still no info about warranty and 150mm (or even 160mm) 29er forks on the Prime?

I am so tempted to buy one

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are there 29er forks with 160mm?

MTB B'dos
    No single crown forks, unless they're prototypes that are being tested. You can get the Dorado, which I think when limited for 29er gets 170mm, but the warranty clearly states no dual crown forks for the Prime. There are the 26" F36 160mm forks with arch mods that some are using, not sure on if travel needs to be limited on those or warranty - Enel is running one on his Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreisel View Post
    Are there 29er forks with 160mm?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    No 160mm "official big brand" 29er forks - yet!

Iīve read several times that one will be released by a big brand in summer 2013.

@Lynx:
    Maybe I am blind (or stupid), but I canīt find warranty information on the prime on the Banshee site. Do you happen to have a link?
    Would be very thankful =)

Greetings Znarf

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I heard that rumor too and I guess at Sea Otter we'll find out - although that was the rumor last year as well though

On the warranty, guess maybe it's that I've been talking with Keith about the Prime since early days and he's repeatedly stated it's not designed for such a fork and warranty would not cover dual crown forks. Best bet is to e-mail them and ask them directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    No 160mm "official big brand" 29er forks - yet!

Iīve read several times that one will be released by a big brand in summer 2013.

@Lynx:
    Maybe I am blind (or stupid), but I canīt find warranty information on the prime on the Banshee site. Do you happen to have a link?
    Would be very thankful =)

Greetings Znarf
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fork limit for the Prime is a 160mm single crown. If you run a double crown, or anything over 160mm then warranty will be void.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No single crown forks, unless they're prototypes that are being tested. You can get the Dorado, which I think when limited for 29er gets 170mm, but the warranty clearly states no dual crown forks for the Prime. There are the 26" F36 160mm forks with arch mods that some are using, not sure on if travel needs to be limited on those or warranty - Enel is running one on his Prime.
    Travel on my 36 fork is limited to 130mm, and A-C is identical to any 140mm 29" fork.

After riding the Prime a bit I realize probably the only fork on the market stiff enough to match the frame is a Dorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Great,

Tranks for the Input, Keith!

That will be my Park bike then :-)

Powered by ice cream.
    I rode the Prime Back to back on a well known to me trail loop with my 2010 Stumpy FSR yesterday and it was eye opening.

These bikes are identical except for:

Fork: Reba 140 on the Stumpy and modded Fox 36 on the Prime;
    Wheels: 150mm X12 rear with 36 spoke wheels on the Prime compared to 135 bolt on rear and 32 spoke wheels on the Stumpy;
    Drivetrain: The stumpy has stump pulling low range supergranny drivetrain allowing gearing down to 20X26, the Prime is standard 32X22 front and 11/34 rear
    Weight: The Prime is about three pounds heavier between the wheels, fork and frame.

Terrain was slow chunk/finesse stuff with a section of moderate speed (11-12mph), but very chunky descent. Climbs were similarly short, but chunky and quite steep at times requiring standing bursts and momentum to crest.

The bikes ride/perform very similarly as they should given the numbers. I was no more capable or faster on one versus the other. This is good to me because I have been very pleased with the Specialized. However: these two bikes/builds could not feel more different from the standpoint of flex and general solidity. The Prime is hands down the stiffest frame I have ever ridden in any category. (Note: No time on serious DH or Freeride rigs).

The difference is similar to the difference between a thin tubed steel rigid frame and a burly tubed aluminum frame. I felt like I had to have a bit more body english/anticipation of the flex with the Stumpjumper. It was not bad or unmanageable, it just felt completely different. If you have spent any time back to back on a burly longer travel AM bike versus a cross country race type bike, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I think the differences would be even more obvious at higher speeds as the stress on the frames increases.

The Prime felt simply better planted than the Stumpy in all terrain and conditions. I think I had a wee bit more traction. It wasn't a mind blowing difference, but it was different. I am looking forward to dialing it in more, but I am quite comfortable on the Prime after only two rides.

I played with the CCDB air and ended up at 25% sag (for me near 200 lbs geared up it was 110 psi), 80% (20 clicks) low speed rebound, 80%(20 clicks) low speed compression damping, zero HSC and about 15% (3/4 turn) HSR damping. After my trail ride, I am going to dial in a touch more HSR and HSC damping. I am getting pretty close.

I hope to get the Prime down to South Mountain in Phoenix this weekend for a real thrashing.

For now, I would absolutely recommend the Prime, especially if you weigh over 200lbs and/or have had issues with flex in other 29" frames. I am not sure a lighter primarily XC rider really needs what this frame offers (along with the associated weight penalty).
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I rode the Prime Back to back on a well known to me trail loop with my 2010 Stumpy FSR yesterday and it was eye opening.

These bikes are identical except for:

Fork: Reba 140 on the Stumpy and modded Fox 36 on the Prime;
    Wheels: 150mm X12 rear with 36 spoke wheels on the Prime compared to 135 bolt on rear and 32 spoke wheels on the Stumpy;
    Drivetrain: The stumpy has stump pulling low range supergranny drivetrain allowing gearing down to 20X26, the Prime is standard 32X22 front and 11/34 rear
    Weight: The Prime is about three pounds heavier between the wheels, fork and frame.

Terrain was slow chunk/finesse stuff with a section of moderate speed (11-12mph), but very chunky descent. Climbs were similarly short, but chunky and quite steep at times requiring standing bursts and momentum to crest.

The bikes ride/perform very similarly as they should given the numbers. I was no more capable or faster on one versus the other. This is good to me because I have been very pleased with the Specialized. However: these two bikes/builds could not feel more different from the standpoint of flex and general solidity. The Prime is hands down the stiffest frame I have ever ridden in any category. (Note: No time on serious DH or Freeride rigs).

The difference is similar to the difference between a thin tubed steel rigid frame and a burly tubed aluminum frame. I felt like I had to have a bit more body english/anticipation of the flex with the Stumpjumper. It was not bad or unmanageable, it just felt completely different. If you have spent any time back to back on a burly longer travel AM bike versus a cross country race type bike, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I think the differences would be even more obvious at higher speeds as the stress on the frames increases.

The Prime felt simply better planted than the Stumpy in all terrain and conditions. I think I had a wee bit more traction. It wasn't a mind blowing difference, but it was different. I am looking forward to dialing it in more, but I am quite comfortable on the Prime after only two rides.

I played with the CCDB air and ended up at 25% sag (for me near 200 lbs geared up it was 110 psi), 80% (20 clicks) low speed rebound, 80%(20 clicks) low speed compression damping, zero HSC and about 15% (3/4 turn) HSR damping. After my trail ride, I am going to dial in a touch more HSR and HSC damping. I am getting pretty close.

I hope to get the Prime down to South Mountain in Phoenix this weekend for a real thrashing.

For now, I would absolutely recommend the Prime, especially if you weigh over 200lbs and/or have had issues with flex in other 29" frames. I am not sure a lighter primarily XC rider really needs what this frame offers (along with the associated weight penalty).
    Cool!
    I figured you'd dig the uber-stiff chassis of the Prime. Now...if we could only get a suitable fork!