Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

271K views 2K replies 130 participants last post by  Vegard 
#1 ·
Here's mine:thumbsup: Apologies in advance for the not so good pictures. My wife decided to let my camera go on an African safari with my mother-in-law without letting me know so all I had was my iPhone and a dark garage:madman:

Frame: Raw medium
Fork: Fox34 Float set at 140mm
Crankset: XO with 28t spiderless MRP BlingRing and RaceFace boots
Chainguide: E13 LG1+ modified to fit 28t ring
Bottom Bracket: Hope ceramic
Pedals: Spank Spike
Seatpost: KS LEV
Seat: brown Chromag Trailmaster
Bars: ENVE AM
Grips: brown ODI Rogue with blue ODI lock ons
Stem: Chromag Ranger
Headset: CaneCreek 40 Series
Brakes: XTR Trail with Hope Saw rotors(7" F/6" R)
Shifter: X9
Derailleur: short cage X9 with KCNC sealed bearing jocky wheels
Cassette: Sram 1070 12-36
F Hub: American Classic 15mm
R Hub: DT 240s with 36t upgrade and Hadley thru bolt
Spokes: Sapim CXRay
Rims: LightBicycle carbon AM with Bontrager Rhythm rimstrips and Stan's valves
Tires: Specialized Ground Control 2.3
Chain: KMC X10SL
Seatpost Clamp: Salsa LipLock

Weight = 29.5 pounds:thumbsup:

I still have lots of adjusting and trimming to do and I didn't get to ride her:mad: Can't wait to get her out in the woods and see what all the hype is about!

FYI for all of those who helped decide on the Medium frame... THANKS! I'm long and lanky but the Medium with the 70mm stem and post just about all the way out felt REALLY good on the neighborhood loop:thumbsup: I can already tell I won't be too cramped and there's still room for adjustment. I'm also strongly considering going to wider bars but I figured I'd ride her a few times before I drop the coin.

Without further delay...

See less See more
#612 ·
I looked at the Haven carbon wheels, they're only 21mm wide. FM, what size tires are you running on those carbon wheels?
Running schwalbe 2.35's, HD f / NN r, tubeless, low 20's psi.

So the flows are 22.6mm internal width. Can't say I noticed any difference at all in terms of burping or tire rolling in corners, hasn't been a problem (I do check pressure every ride with a digital guage, funny how I crash less often since doing that!). Again the stiffness difference vs. flows was immediately noticable, especially on G-outs, pumping corners at speed, off camber roots & rock etc. Difference was on the scale of going form a QR to a through axle in front.

#616 ·
Honzo TT 25" (635mm) vs Prime TT 25.4" (645mm).
0.4" (10mm) isn't that much of a stretch over the 20" Honzo.
I'll just have to get a shorter stem.

Numbers wise the 20" Honzo sits between the L and XL Prime. Leaning slightly closer to XL Prime sizing though. And the Reach between the 20L Honzo and XL Prime is exactly the same (since we're splitting hairs).

But these are all numbers on paper. Who knows if 10mm will make a giant or small difference when riding the bike.

#618 ·
Can't see how at your height you wouldn't go for the XL, but that's just my opinion and I seem to be a bit in the minority in that thinking, but at 6'2" I like the fit of the XL, but wouldn't mind the shorter wheelbase the L would give. Long knuckle dragging arms, 35.25" inseam, running a 70mm stem and 785mm wide bar, but will be going down 5mm to a 65mm stem shortly.

People don't realise just how much other parts play in the ride of their bike besides the suspension :D Check your tyre pressures, maybe you can go lower there, I know I can easily notice the much differen and less plush feel if say I pump my tyres up for more gravel grinding/road connecting to get to the trails and forget to drop them - talking running 28F and 35R as compared to 21-24 F and 25-28 R. If not as you say, drop 5 PSI from the fork and shock and see what that does.
Got out for a bit of chunk to try out my new MTX33's. Very much noticeably stiffer than my Frequency i23's. I had my suspension pretty much dialed in, but these new wheels actually make the ride feel less plush, time for a little tweaking.

#620 ·
I have considered the L size but felt that it's just a little too small. My biggest waffling point about the XL size is the 21" ST. I'd much rather have a 20" ST with the other measurements staying the same. But at my height/size buying a bike has always been a set of compromises when looking at sizing/measurements.

From my perspective, riding style (where and how you ride) factors largely into the size of bike you end up on. Or it should.

#621 ·
Rideeverything-
Not to confuse the issue but I would be careful comparing size against the Honzo. I have a Small Honzo and medium Prime (both great bikes). The Honzo has pretty unique geometry- that curved seat tube is fairly steep depending on your saddle height, and a short head tube- both throw off the ETT and reach measurements. My bikes are set up nearly identical and the prime does not feel any longer in terms of reach or TT. The differences in chainstay length, wheelbase, bar height and suspension are noticable!

Not saying you should go L or XL- just be aware...

#622 ·
FM,
If I'm understanding this right it sounds like cockpit fit is similar going up a size from the the Honzo to the Prime?
I realize the wheel base between the Honzo 20" and XL Prime is quite big. So I would assume that is where I would feel the most difference between the bikes.

The Honzo is the first and only 29er that I've ridden. So that is my comparison point. I realize that each bike feels different when ridden compared to numbers on paper. But sometimes the numbers help.

#625 ·
FM,
If I'm understanding this right it sounds like cockpit fit is similar going up a size from the the Honzo to the Prime?
If you were 5'-9"/175cm I would say yes. However... there's personal preference, plus our height differences... all I can say is, consider all variables.
That and.. When in doubt, downsize on 29'er's... bigger wheels make the frame ride larger.

#623 ·
I had a look through the Prime Participation thread and saw that there were even less photos of the Prime than in this thread! Either way I'm not going to end up with a proto so I would really like to see more photos of the production Prime. Preferably in the XL size and, hopefully, being ridden in action shots!

#641 ·
Some XL Prime that I haven't seen posted on here.
Is this a proto or a production frame? I've seen a frame for sale that has the same dropouts and I'd like to know what it is.

EDIT: I see it's a proto. Can someone sum up the difference from protos and production frame? Are those dropouts adjustable? are they swappable for 12x142 ones? Does it have the same geometry of the production one?

Thanks!

#630 ·
I went with the bigger frame and don't regret it at all. I'd rather use a 35mm stem than getting the smaller frame and needing a 80mm or so stem.

Seat tube length should be easier on the bigger frame also. I'd like my frame to have a shorter seattube by 1cm or 2, but I'm riding a KS i950 seatpost which has a pretty big stack height. My guess is with a KS Lev or a non telescopic seatpost I'd be set on the full slamed position for when going downhill.

Don't think that a shorter frame would make the bike that much more nimble, the chainstays measure the same, and the wheelbase difference is not that huge. Heck, even changing between the low/high positions you can mitigate those size differences (I have even thought about running the frame on the high position with an angle slacker set, just to benefit from shorter chainstays).

Can I cut the seattube 1cm without voiding the warranty? Or just bite the bullet and buy a KS Lev?

#631 ·
Well I am basically decided on the Prime and now a friend of mine wants one too after I showed him this thread.
Just need to organise to get 2 of them down here.
Anyone got a good lead on a dealer with good pricing?
Failing that I think I need to get onto Banshee regarding shipping directly to me.

#637 ·
Well I will question then what is more important.
A smaller frame and longer (supposedly slower steering stem) or a longer ETT with shorter (supposedly faster handling stem).
Both options will fit a guy but do you have a longer wheelbase and shorter stem or a shorter wheelbase and longer stem?

I am yet to see any real significant agreement on this.

At 6'3" I can easily ride either the L with a 70-80mm stem or the XL with a 50mm.

#639 ·
I will add that I had a Medium Prototype frame and ran it with a 70 stem and it ripped just as well as the Large with the 50mm stem. I just don't like feeling cramped with the seat down, not to mention we don't have big mountain terrain around here so I wanted a tad larger frame for comfort. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way, but if you want to maneuver tight terrain I would go with the large frame as well as I do with I had the shorter wheelbase of the medium at times myself. There is no perfect solution, compromises must be made somewhere. Just decide which compromises you can live with and those you can't:)

#640 ·
I will add that I had a Medium Prototype frame and ran it with a 70 stem and it ripped just as well as the Large with the 50mm stem. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way,
100% agreed, I've owned different sizes of the same bike a few times, they were all fun to ride! :)
Most all of us could go up and/or down a size and be completely happy- especially with all the other possible adjustments. I have just found for 29'ers, I prefer smaller.

Well I will question then what is more important.
I am yet to see any real significant agreement on this.

At 6'3" I can easily ride either the L with a 70-80mm stem or the XL with a 50mm.
The option with the shorter wheelbase will corner faster, be easier to control in the air and easier to get the front end up. You could probably get +20mm out of the seatpost/handlebar regardless of stem length. 30" bars? wider bars pull you forward, just as a longer stem would, as you probably know....

But I agree you can't really go wrong... :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more (literally), brother! :thumbsup:
Ha, too funny! The amazing power of rep power... or not so much:yawn:

#647 ·
Went out yesterday and put a decent beat down on my MTX's, minor burped the rear 4 times with a brand new 2.3 Butcher on it, front burped once with a well used Butcher but I hit a rock HARD, surprised I didn't damage the rim. I've been doing my tape wrap and Stans with non-UST tires for 3 years and 4 different wheel sets, and have NEVER burped a tire. But, the wheels are very stiff, made a very tough bike feel even tougher. I have to figure out the burping because I definitely want to be tubeless where I ride.

#653 · (Edited)

Banshee Prime, Medium
CCDBair
Fox Float 34, 140mm
Bars: Enve DH, 29.5"
Stem: Thomson 50mm
Brakes: XTR
Shifters: X0
Ft. Derailleur: X0
Rear Derailleur: X9 type2
Cranks: XT, 175mm, Gamut bash guard
Pedals: eThirteen
Seatpost: KS Lev, 125mm
Seatpost clamp: Thomson
Saddle: Chromag
Wheels: King/Enve AM
Tires: F - Hans Dampf 2.35, R - Nobby Nic 2.25, tubeless

Weight: 32 lbs

#654 ·
Nice looking Prime Marshall, would have expected it to be less weight though with those carbon rims, bar and general build, makes me not feel too bad about my pre-production siting right around 34lbs with Pro2/Flow wheels and full XT build. Wanted to get one of those Hans Dampf tyres so bad, glad I didn't waste the $70-90 though as they don't last worth $hit on our coralstone - guy came down with his own bike, had one on the front, knobs started to rip off when we were out on the cliff edge "rock crawlin", Nobby Nic on his friends bike held up just fine.

#655 · (Edited)
New RS 2014 Pike

A new fork is out that I think will complement the burliness of the Prime.
Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

35mm stanchions and 140mm to 160mm of travel. And, it'd look sweet fully blacked out on the black Prime frame.

**edit**
I know this will make me sound like a noob but how do I respond to the thread so that my post ends up at the end of the thread chain rather than as a response to someones post?
Since the recent changes here in the MTBR forum my posts never seem to end up in the thread chain where it would be appropriate. It's making my OCD crazy!

#657 ·
We all knew it was coming, took longer than I expected. Nice to have another fork with bigger stanchions, but it still looks like RS is following their thinking that no one rides in the mud and muck as I don't see much clearance with the tyres they were running to allow for mud - hated this about all of my previous RS forks, no such issue with the Fox.
A new fork is out that I think will complement the burliness of the Prime.
Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

35mm stanchions and 140mm to 160mm of travel. And, it'd look sweet fully blacked out on the black Prime frame.
!

#656 ·
I like that idea. I'm digging my murdered look bike, kinda wish I could get my marzocchi in the old school all black look. I still have a Pike, lowered to like 70-110mm travel (u-turn version). I can't manage to kill it, 6 seasons on the street hardtail, some time on the XC/all-mountain hardtail (on 140mm mode), open 2 times, change oil, ride again. I like the concept of closed dampers, but on real life, I still love the simplicity of open bath

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.