Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    The more I ride this bike, the bigger the grin
    Currently sitting at 31.8 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yup, that's the one I'm talking about Bit obsessive about keeping lines/cables OUT of the wheels Good to see that us un-paid "proffessional testers" feedback was maybe of some value
    good thing you have long arms otherwise patting yourself on the back might be more of a challenge for you. thank god for banshee you were a tester. tell us some more about your 2x7 drivetrain, seems the way all the major manufacturers are going 1x10 and 1x11 are so passe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    good thing you have long arms otherwise patting yourself on the back might be more of a challenge for you. thank god for banshee you were a tester. tell us some more about your 2x7 drivetrain, seems the way all the major manufacturers are going 1x10 and 1x11 are so passe
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to qbert2000 again.

And to jncarpenter, that's a very dialed looking Prime! Love it!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    JNC, Phat-Ant, Enel, bikes are looking awesome!

mtbr member
    the bikes do look great btw. the graphics look good on the raw, a little to bold on the coloured frames.

so jnc, how much bettre than the sultan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    I don't see where he said he was a 'professional' tester. He is part of the group who got a 'proto' frame at a pretty good deal and we did have our own discussion page where the 'testers' did discuss pros and cons of various set-ups. BTW there currently isn't an external headset for the 56mm tapered headsets.
    you can use a cc angleset in the neutral setting or with the offset gimbals too

AngleSet

they make a zs44/ec56 model

mtbr member

AngleSet

Good (if expensive) find!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Good (if expensive) find!
    it is expensive, but cheaper than a new fork for someone if they do want to try a 120mm fork or just an extra 10mm in lower stack height

Prime
    What do you think of your CTD, jn? I wasn't too crazy about mine in the chunk that I ride, tomorrow is test and tune day for my new DBair.

MTB B'dos
    So, pay $150+ for the angleset to give a 120mm fork a try, which is not what the frame is designed around or take that $150+, sell the 120mm fork and then maybe add a few more $ to get it right Sounds like a great plan to me

AngleSet

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So, pay $150+ for the angleset to give a 120mm fork a try, which is not what the frame is designed around or take that $150+, sell the 120mm fork and then maybe add a few more $ to get it right Sounds like a great plan to me
    give it up dude. the link is there for anyone to try if that's the way "they" want to go. if you don't, then don't.

i think it's retarded to run 2x7 gearing when 1x10 and now 1x11 is dialed, but you are free to continue to do so just like anyone is free to try a 120mm fork if they so desire.

stop trying so hard to be relevant. it's the internet. no one cares that you recommended a cable boss other than you. who else that tested is here patting themselves on the back about it??

mtbr member
    so jnc, how much bettre than the sultan?
    Well, "better" is obviously relative...in this case, the Prime works much better for me. The Sultan was more of a xc/trail bike...despite all my efforts to make it work for me, I just couldn't get there with it. Mostly we are talking geometry; the Sultan had me feeling like I had too much weight on the front end of the bike. I tried a taller fork, ran the rear shock a tad softer, riser bars....still front heavy. The Prime (in slack setting) feels much more natural to me descending. I like to have my weight on my feet, and move around the bike while standing...the Prime is a superb descender. The faster you push it, the more controlled and solid it feels.

Also, I initially thought overall stiffness was a wash between the two, but the more time I spend on the Prime it has proven itself to be the more stout feeling chassis (especially with the 150mm rear wheel). Cornering is where you can really feel this...the shorter rear doesn't hurt either.

All in all, the Banshee has me grabbing a FS for my rides more than ever before. It honestly feels like a fully suspended version of the ByStickel

Optimus, I am also struggling with the CTD shock. Initially it felt to harsh when setup with proper sag. I removed the white spacer from the air can, and that helped alot with the overall plushness...but now I can easily bottom it if I try. I need to spend a bit of time grinding the spacer down some and try putting it back in the air can before I bail on the Fox. I think an Avalanche Chubby would be a nice match

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just chuck the CTD and get piggyback shock on it.

Liking my DHX-A on mine.

beater

Vector HLR Air

There's always this option, as well. I've been really happy with the performance, and the price is pretty good, too.

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-xfusionvector.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    First ride out today, The fit is great! Medium seems to be just how I like it so panic over

Only a short loop 18km or so but all single track trail centre fun fun fun

The bike handles fantasticly well I had to apply the brakes many times for fear of breaking my self :P

I Look forward to taking it for a spin around my local bog filled mud pits tomorrow

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-p1020022.jpg

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-p1020029.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    phat-ant,

How tall are you? Stem length? I'm torn between a medium and large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    Just chuck the CTD and get piggyback shock on it.

Liking my DHX-A on mine.
    Have to agree that the Prime was one of the first bikes I've ridden where the DHX-A didn't feel like crap....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi Colin, its a 70mm Stem and 711mm bars. I am around 5 foot 11 inches. certainly does feel a good fit for my size and shape.

MTB B'dos
    Good news is, you won't have to worry about mud clearance with the Prime, there's gobs. I would however maybe install a mud guard or two if you ride in muddy conditions often (you live in Britain, so that's a for sure), FM fashioned one for the rear and his drawings in this thread someplace, pretty simple but effective. I made one for the fork and it helps keep gunk off the seals quite well, never installed one for the rear as I don't hold that area as so sensitive as the fork seals and stanchions and never have had to stop to clear it out since owning the Prime despite going through some nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by phat-ant View Post
    First ride out today, The fit is great! Medium seems to be just how I like it so panic over

Only a short loop 18km or so but all single track trail centre fun fun fun

The bike handles fantasticly well I had to apply the brakes many times for fear of breaking my self :P

I Look forward to taking it for a spin around my local bog filled mud pits tomorrow

]
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cheers LyNx. I will be making up some mud gaurds for sure just havent had chance to get any bits to do so yet. We have had the wettest winter on record or something like that, and aside from the odd day here or there its basically been raining for at least a month. Fingers crossed for some cold dry weather to firm up the local woods some what! I will let you know how it gets on after tonight!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have shimmed seatpost for the first time on my bike, i noticed today the shim length is 5.7cm inside seat tube, is this enough or should i get 10 cm shim?

The current shim extends easily past the gusset on top tube.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I've always been of the understanding that 4", or approximately 10cm, is the minimum you should run for a shim. 5.7cm seems really short.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've seen & owned a few frames that did funky things after having been shimmed. Other frames have no problem.

One thing to watch out for, using a shim adds another set of tolerances. If the shim diameter is a slightly loose fit in the frame, and the post diameter is a slightly loose fit in the shim, it can have the same effect as running an undersize seat post... you end up crimping the frame at the seat collar.

If you've got to run one, I'd say get the longest one possible, and "shim the shim" with pop-can to make it a really snug fit. If you're running shim, and will still be adjusting the post height frequently with a QR... that's risky in my experience.

It could be a non-issue 90% of the time, but I've seen it get ugly once or twice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It is because of the dropper post comes in 27.2 only larger sizes are done with shims, the fit seems good,on the diameters, the length concerns me now since it does not reach top tube, i only have few rides on it and i don't weigh much so i don't think there is damage done, yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok 2nd ride on the prime and for this area it was actually pretty dry considering, but I think I will be making up some rear mud catchers for sure!

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-p1020044.jpg

Good fun out in the night though loving it

Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast