Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No one's running a 120mm fork on their Prime, why would they? Prime is designed around a 140mm fork, BB height is perfect with it, as is the HA, why would anyone purposely lower the BB and steepen the HA? I had intentions to try a 120mm fork on mine, but once I got it I quickly realised what a silly exercise it would be. If you want a bike with less travel or steeper angles, maybe the Prime isn't for you.
    so you roll your eyes at someone who is thinking of doing the same thing you were thinking of??

MTB B'dos
    If you are seriously considering the Prime, definitely sell the 120mm and buy a 140mm fork, I think if you don't run the Prime with it's intended travel/A2C fork you'd really be missing out on the entire experience the entire package gives..

You could run it in the steep setting which would raise the BB 1/2" over the slackest setting, but then your HTA would be about 69.25*, which I guess is not too bad, but about the same as the RIP. In running the 120mm fork you'd be dropping the BB probably more than the 1/2" down close to 13" UNsagged, SAGged then it's probably be close to 12", which where I ride equals lots of pedals strikes or lots of pedal timing and the really nice thing about the Prime is it's ability to just sit and pedal (plow) over/through stuff, which doesn't quite mesh with having to time pedal strikes to avoid pedal strikes. Now there was one tester I'm aware of who said he'd like a lower BB, but the majority I think liked the higher BB and hence the height stayed the same from pre-production to production.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Cause thats all i got:-) i come from a niner rip9 which has a steep hta compared to the prime. I havent checked the rip bb height comparatively though. If i buy a prime ill be trying the 120. Hopefully such blasphemy wont bring the end of the world upon us.
    Where do you see I rolled my eyes? No where I said crazy, that's different As to the why I was thinking it, because I was a tester, that's why, you know, the people who test stuff out to see if it's a good idea or not and that was a general consensus AFIK, hence it was not changed, just an in between setting added.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    so you roll your eyes at someone who is thinking of doing the same thing you were thinking of??
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    Keith, what size chainring is the Prime optimized for? 32 or 30t? Wondering should i order 30t for my XX1..
    Thre is no such thing as a single optimal chainring size. It depends on what characteristics you want and where you are in the travel. That said the range I would recommend goes from 28-34 if running a XX1 setup to match the 29" gear ratios, and I have matched the linkage kinemtaics to this chainring range.

Personally if running 1x11 I would opt for a 32 tooth chainring on the prime, as that would be plenty easy enough on the climbs, and give good speed on fast descents and reduce pedal kickback slightly over a smaller chainring option.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Cause thats all i got:-) Hopefully such blasphemy wont bring the end of the world upon us.
    Sasquatch- 120mm won't be quite ideal, but it'll get the job done and you'll still love the bike.

Giving up 20mm travel is not a huge deal, the impact to the geometry is the concern.....
    Keeping it in perspective- 20mm difference in front will steepen the head angle around 1 degree and lower the BB around 6mm. Some prime owners are running internal lower headset cups, they're already giving up 10mm+ of fork length. Look for a headset with an external lower cup, to help keep the head tube where it should be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Where do you see I rolled my eyes? No where I said crazy, that's different As to the why I was thinking it, because I was a tester, that's why, you know, the people who test stuff out to see if it's a good idea or not and that was a general consensus AFIK, hence it was not changed, just an in between setting added.
    tester? you paid for the privilege, you aren't a professional "tester" by any stretch, sorry to burst your bubble.

like fm stated, en external cup with a 120mm fork won't ruin the geometry. he could also add a + 5mm crown race to get it even closer

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Sasquatch- 120mm won't be quite ideal, but it'll get the job done and you'll still love the bike.

Giving up 20mm travel is not a huge deal, the impact to the geometry is the concern.....
    Keeping it in perspective- 20mm difference in front will steepen the head angle around 1 degree and lower the BB around 6mm. Some prime owners are running internal lower headset cups, they're already giving up 10mm+ of fork length. Look for a headset with an external lower cup, to help keep the head tube where it should be.
    i think production frame is supposed to be with internal cups with 140mm fork

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is this bike "too much" to be a "trail bike", with XC-terrain and necessary pavement bits? Is this AM bike with clear downhill flavor? Or is this more like a strong build, go-anywhere, how far you want, trail bike? No proper mountains here, more like constant climbing and descending hills and a lot of flat areas, some steep parts but mostly short-lived. Roots and rocks and dense woods. I'm also a lightweight dude who has habit of standing and smashing climbs. I think it looks absolutely beautiful in every way, but I have feeling it may be like drooling after an off-road vehicle that eats up too much gas and that I wouldn't drive where it were meant to be driven anyway. I'm just wondering if the suspension design and geometry options and such would make it fine all-rounder. Also whether it's bike you climb to enjoy the descents or enjoy the whole thing pretty equally.

mtbr member
    First yellow completes that I've seen anywhere.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Sakucee, looks like you're right- I see the production head tubes are 44/56mm. 1.5 head tubes are 49mm and I don't see any 56mm external cups available.

welcome to the trainwreck that is MTB headset "standards"!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Horros View Post
    Is this bike "too much" to be a "trail bike", with XC-terrain and necessary pavement bits? Is this AM bike with clear downhill flavor? Or is this more like a strong build, go-anywhere, how far you want, trail bike? No proper mountains here, more like constant climbing and descending hills and a lot of flat areas, some steep parts but mostly short-lived. Roots and rocks and dense woods. I'm also a lightweight dude who has habit of standing and smashing climbs. I think it looks absolutely beautiful in every way, but I have feeling it may be like drooling after an off-road vehicle that eats up too much gas and that I wouldn't drive where it were meant to be driven anyway. I'm just wondering if the suspension design and geometry options and such would make it fine all-rounder. Also whether it's bike you climb to enjoy the descents or enjoy the whole thing pretty equally.
    I have to pedal a lot on my trails, no long downhills and everything is infested with roots and rocks and wheelie drops, no complaints so far, i do run 28t single in front, i have no idea whats the current build weight, really should measure it..

Alot of it depends what shock you decide to run, CTD shocks have massive platform on climb mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    tester? you paid for the privilege, you aren't a professional "tester" by any stretch, sorry to burst your bubble.

like fm stated, en external cup with a 120mm fork won't ruin the geometry. he could also add a + 5mm crown race to get it even closer
    I don't see where he said he was a 'professional' tester. He is part of the group who got a 'proto' frame at a pretty good deal and we did have our own discussion page where the 'testers' did discuss pros and cons of various set-ups. BTW there currently isn't an external headset for the 56mm tapered headsets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    First yellow completes that I've seen anywhere.

Best color I've seen. If I decide to get one it will have to be yellow. The color definitely fits the aggressive nature of the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dang loving the yellow!! and I've Just heard that my Raw Frame has finally arrived in the UK I just need to sneak him through customs lol

mtbr member
    I've read somewhere on this forum that for 2014 there will be a 562mm 160mm 29er fork.

Would such a fork be ok to use on a Prime? Warranty etc.?

The yellow ones look absolutely fantastic. I want to buy/build a large frame for bike park and shuttle days.

I'd put a 150mm 34 on there, as they're already available.
    But if a 160mm 29er fork would/will be available, I'd love to fit one. IF Banshee allows that.

Maybe someone can chime in and enlighten us.

As a side note: The Prime is really a stunning bike. Wonderful shape and design. Congratulations, Banshee.

Greetings Znarf

Powered by ice cream.
    Built.

34.75 lbs

It required grinding the front derailleur a bit, but not a big deal. Everything shifts with two plus bash up front and 150 rear.

This is a very, very robust and stiff frame.

I like the CCDB around the driveway. It will truly do anything you want it to do.

When set to slack, it appears to be a geometric twin to my 2010 Stumpy: Perhaps 1/2 degree slacker, no more up front. Cockpit is identical. BB height identical, Chainstay identical.

It just weighs 3.5 lbs more.

1 lb is in the fork. The wheels probably account for 1/2 to 1 lb, and figure another lb in the frame/CCDB shock.

Hopefully some ride impressions with pics tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

MTB B'dos
    That's with the Shimano XT FD then that you had to grind? No issues with the SRAM XO, so something learned I guess in that maybe the Shimano's are still not a perfect fit.

With regards to your Stumpy, was it a 26er or 29er? If it was the 29er you're right, everything but the HA is almost identical, but the HA should be about 2 degrees slacker. Was/is this a feeling you're going by? If so, if you used an F34 140mm fork, it has a 51mm offset and the Stumpy used a 120mm with 46 or 48mm offset, so the greater offset makes the Prime handle snappier than you think it should and why it might feel only slightly slacker when in fact it's 2 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Built............34.75 lbs

It required grinding the front derailleur a bit, but not a big deal. Everything shifts with two plus bash up front and 150 rear.

This is a very, very robust and stiff frame.

I like the CCDB around the driveway. It will truly do anything you want it to do.

When set to slack, it appears to be a geometric twin to my 2010 Stumpy: Perhaps 1/2 degree slacker, no more up front. Cockpit is identical. BB height identical, Chainstay identical.

It just weighs 3.5 lbs more.

1 lb is in the fork. The wheels probably account for 1/2 to 1 lb, and figure another lb in the frame/CCDB shock.

Hopefully some ride impressions with pics tomorrow.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics