Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Does anyone know if a 150 rear hub will work properly with a 2x/bash ring (stock 3 ring) crank? I am concerned the chainline would not work well.
    I'm using a 3x10 Shimano XT crank, 2+ bash, XT 10 speed cassette on an e*thirteen LG1+ 150mm hub, chainline is perfect on 24fx28r.

on a routine expedition
    I was also wondering if there will be 157x12 dropouts with slots available in the future? I really like the 142x12 on my Chilcotin. Just drop the wheel in to the stops and insert the axle.
    I don't know if there are plans for 157x12, but the 142x12 dropouts for the Prime don't have any stops. Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What chainrings are you planning on running, 2X or #X? Figure 2X, but need to ask. I used the SRAM XO 10spd, 2X FD on my Prime and it works fantastic, shifts are crisp and smooth and I'm using a 2X 9spd setup running 24/38 rings.

That Shimano FD you linked to is the wrong type, you need a BOTTOM mount, BOTTOM pull type, hence the E-type reference. Jenson has some OE XTs on sale now Shimano XT M770-10 Oe Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Thanks for the help I just ordered the Jenson XT derailleur because I am a tightwad, and I am pretty happy with my direct mount Shimano on the Specialized.

Initial set up will be SLX cranks with standard 22/32 rings. I will probably end up running pretty small chainrings eventually, in the 20/29 range. 2X set up with bash. I hope everything plays well with the 150 rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Yes you can use a 9-spd f. der on 10-speed.
    I test fit a bunch of f. der's on my proto before building it up, the SRAM's fit best- mainly because their 2x specific derailuers have a shorter cage, so less chance of interference with the chainstay as the suspension compresses. SRAM cable routing worked better too.

All that may have changed now that we have a gazillion models and standards to select from!

The SRAM that fit well was an S3. The exact model depends on what chainring sizes you'll be running. Genius!
    Here's some helpful info on selecting the right part number.
    Ahh, but can you use a 10 speed derailleur on a 9 speed system They sound pretty interchangeable. Thank for the info and PDF.

I have to say this is a very handsome bike. On looks alone it is winning me over.

Last night I got the dropouts (slack), CCDBa, King Inset installed and weighed it including the seatclamp and King Baseplate it was 9.1lbs. That sounds pretty porky to me, but I actually don't know what any of my suspension frames weighed all kitted out. I thought they were in the 7.5 lb range.

Anyway, got the fork, dropper post, bars and brakes installed but not adjusted, rotors and tires on wheels. I am just waiting for a drivetrain.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have to say this is a very handsome bike. On looks alone it is winning me over.

Anyway, got the fork, dropper post, bars and brakes installed but not adjusted, rotors and tires on wheels. I am just waiting for a drivetrain.
    Very cool!

On the weight- figure that the CCDBA adds .6lbs over a fox... and you got another .5 with the headset...without those you'd be at 8lbs, which is over a pound lighter than my med. proto frame with fox

I know you do a lot of low-speed tech, curious to hear what you think. The prime really comes on at higher speeds, I am sure you have some of that around too. Keep us posted!

Powered by ice cream.
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356730638.353206.jpg

So sad. Will have to wait a week for parts.

Rear tire clearance is impressive.

I have not yet decommissioned the Stumpy so I hope to get some back to back impressions.

Prime
    Enel, just shove some broom handle through the BB, you can still DH on it.

beater
    I know you do a lot of low-speed tech, curious to hear what you think. The prime really comes on at higher speeds, I am sure you have some of that around too. Keep us posted!
    I'll be curious as well. Enel's bike review/reports are usually pretty good reading. I've always guessed the Lunchbox would be hard to beat for a rock-crawling rig, so it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

For me, I expected to sacrifice some slow-speed ability with the Prime, since it's lower, longer and slacker (at least in front) than what I was coming from. I was a little shocked to find that I cleaned a few obstacles and climbs for the first time with it. I reckon a big part of the reason is the way the Prime has me more upright and centered.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Hey there Primeates,

I have been considering a 29er recently and from what I can see, the Prime is on the short list. The option to run a wide flange rear hub for lateral wheel strength is one of the reasons I am interested in the Prime. (graphics could be toned down a bit though, how about black graphics on black ano?)

Does anyone know if a 150 rear hub will work properly with a 2x/bash ring (stock 3 ring) crank? I am concerned the chainline would not work well.

I was also wondering if there will be 157x12 dropouts with slots available in the future? I really like the 142x12 on my Chilcotin. Just drop the wheel in to the stops and insert the axle.

Thanks,
    I ran a 150mm hub with the 2x/bash ring you've described and there was no chainline issues with my Prime proto.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I'll be curious as well. Enel's bike review/reports are usually pretty good reading. I've always guessed the Lunchbox would be hard to beat for a rock-crawling rig, so it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

For me, I expected to sacrifice some slow-speed ability with the Prime, since it's lower, longer and slacker (at least in front) than what I was coming from. I was a little shocked to find that I cleaned a few obstacles and climbs for the first time with it. I reckon a big part of the reason is the way the Prime has me more upright and centered.
    I agree on all points. Also, the Prime is not mushy, or plush. You can easily use all of your travel in the right situation, but it's got a nice platform for climbing, especially tech climbing. I like the KS link.

MTB B'dos
    I'm not a high speed guy, I like my slow, tech and the Prime really excels in that to me, despite the XL having a 48" WB. My techy stuff isn't like Enel's though, sure wish we had some like that.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm not a high speed guy, I like my slow, tech and the Prime really excels in that to me, despite the XL having a 48" WB. My techy stuff isn't like Enel's though, sure wish we had some like that.
    Pulled my Paradox back out for a couple of less chunky, heavy climbing rides, it amazes me how much better of a climber the Prime is. Between the longer wheelbase and the firm yet giving rear suspension, the rear wheel really stays planted. Although the front is light when climbing, you really have to want to lift it, otherwise it stays planted too. My riding is not quite like Enel's, but I've put mine through plenty of low speed chunky climbs, and it excels. Again, for downhill, hang on because this bike eats up all kinds of nasty trail features, it's a very solid and heavy duty feeling frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I'm using a 3x10 Shimano XT crank, 2+ bash, XT 10 speed cassette on an e*thirteen LG1+ 150mm hub, chainline is perfect on 24fx28r.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info.

I don't want to get off topic, but could you post impressions on the e*thirteen hubs when you get some time on them? Not much info out there ..

Cheers.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Prime
    Sweet! Thanks for the info.

I don't want to get off topic, but could you post impressions on the e*thirteen hubs when you get some time on them? Not much info out there ..

Cheers.
    Not off topic at all. They are very nicely manufactured, they roll very smooth with just a tiny bit of drag, but nothing to be concerned with. I laced them to WTB Frequency i23's, with DT Swiss Comp 1.8 double butted spokes. I've got maybe 75 miles on the front, only 25 on the rear. The engagement is very good, very solid, 6 degrees. So far they are a very stiff build, coupled to this stiff frame and an F34, this bike feels rock solid. Now I can really feel when the tires give a little. I can tell you that going from a 135mm DT 240s/Flow combo to this 150mm LG1+ made a huge difference in the feeling on the rear of this bike. The hub flanges are huge on the LG1+, therefore shorter spokes and at a sharper angle, meaning more strength. Whether you go 150 or 135, this hub will still make for a very strong build. As of right now, I have absolutely no issues with these hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Went down to ride local spot which has been dug open from snow and with few small jumps, DHX-A as rear shock.

In short: stoked, for reals.

The bike jumped well, really easy to time jumps with it, ate up chatter well, had tons of grip in icy chute, cornered really well and it was just plain fun to ride narrow twisty ice-chute down.

Pedaling sucked with shock open on steep uphills, too active, need to re-tune the shock, can be 'fixed' with pro-pedal on, still, going to have it re-shimmed, downhill it worked really well, predictable, grip was good, smooth on landings, predictable when jumping.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    In short: stoked, for reals.
    Lets hear your thoughts on proto vs. production!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lets hear your thoughts on proto vs. production!
    Front triangle is shorter vs proto, and headtube is shorter.. i can get handlebars and riding position dialed in very well now, frame is lighter, scale ran out of batteries just as i was building up so can't tell exact #, but you can feel it when lifting the bike around.

I have way less spacers under the handlebars at the moment and riding position feels very good indeed with 2 rides out, in 2 weeks i'll fly to Tenerife where i was at with the proto so i'll get good comparison from there.

Not gonna touch on pedaling characteristics since my shocks are so far off from stock setups so it would be pointless really.

Prime
    Question for Enel, or anyone with the DBair. Do the sleeves have a minimal press fit into the shock eyes, or is it a slip fit? I'm wondering because I just pulled my CTD off in preparation off my DBair getting here tomorrow, and I noticed that the Fox shock eye is larger than 1/2" and it has a plastic bushing in it with 1/2" id. Even though there is minimal rotation of the shock eyes with this suspension design, there still has to be free movement. If the Cane Creek hardware is pressed in, then when everything is tightened, there won't be any movement. Unless I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    All shocks have bushings in them, otherwise bolts/pins would eat away the shock body, also CCDBA uses custom bushings so you cannot use fox/marz/rockshox bushings on them and vice versa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Keith, what size chainring is the Prime optimized for? 32 or 30t? Wondering should i order 30t for my XX1..

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    All shocks have bushings in them, otherwise bolts/pins would eat away the shock body, also CCDBA uses custom bushings so you cannot use fox/marz/rockshox bushings on them and vice versa.
    Forgot about the bushing, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone running a 120mm fork on thier prime, hows it ride?

MTB B'dos
    No one's running a 120mm fork on their Prime, why would they? Prime is designed around a 140mm fork, BB height is perfect with it, as is the HA, why would anyone purposely lower the BB and steepen the HA? I had intentions to try a 120mm fork on mine, but once I got it I quickly realised what a silly exercise it would be. If you want a bike with less travel or steeper angles, maybe the Prime isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I'd hazard a guess, a lot of pedal strikes unless runngin in steep chips/short cranks..

But question remains, why would you? You can adjust geo from the bike itself, weight difference between 34's and 32's isnt that great, either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cause thats all i got:-) i come from a niner rip9 which has a steep hta compared to the prime. I havent checked the rip bb height comparatively though. If i buy a prime ill be trying the 120. Hopefully such blasphemy wont bring the end of the world upon us.

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast