Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Build up on friday, today was first ride about 3 1/2 hours ... so far it seems very good, climbed better then expected. still need fine tuning the fork and damper and my position on the bike.

weight: as seen on picture little bit over 14kg. But final weight will be around 14,4-14,7 with other pedals, db air und maybe a dropper post.

few things will be changed in the near future: db air instead of fox ctd when its finally ready for shipping, other stem, other seat and other pedals.

Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0102.jpg

edit: 1 thing already annoys me. the x-12 drop outs dont have the "guides" that you can put the wheel easier in (already discussed in other thread). at least for me it is really hard to put the wheel back in and i have to dissamable the wheel every time that the bike fits in the car.
    not very nice :/
    Last edited by pinkey; 03-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Took the Prime for an Enduro competition this weekend. It worked pretty well, but it needs a fox ctd spacer kit, that thing blows through the travel pretty fast when setup with 25% sag.

Overall, the 29er experience keeps impressing me, this frame in particular. Changed to a 40mm stem, and would like to get a smaller stack height seatpost, the KS i950 doesn't quite let me lower that seat enough (keep in mind I like the saddle super low on the DH parts. Yes, our enduro went through a dh track, with the big jumps being cut out. KS Lev would fix that)

The stock Fox CTD is what version? XV1, XV2, LV? See this: Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios

Whatever it is, I know I want a spacer kit to make it more progressive, but it worked brilliant even considering it blew through the travel. Even then, on climb mode it was pedal feedback free
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Banshee are in the process of setting up dealers in Australia and NZ to be competative with the big brands who all go direct. So please contact dennis@bansheebikes.com if you are looking to source a Banshee in either Australia or NZ.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi you guys..

What would you choose, between a White Brothers fluid 150mm or a Fox 34, for your Prime?

mtbr member
    I've never used a White Brothers fork, but the Fox 34 isn't the end all 29er fork in my opinion. I like my RS Revelation as much if not more, especially like the 20mm axle. I'm really hoping that we'll see a 29er Lyrik debuted at Sea Otter next month.
    Last edited by Colin+M; 03-11-2013 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what about a 140mm manitou, for those of us on a budget?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I've never used a White Brothers fork, but the Fox 34 isn't the end all 29er fork in my opinion. I like my RS Revelation as much if not more, especially like the 20mm axle. I'm really hoping that we'll see a 29er Lyrik debuted at Sea Otter next month.
    I've had both on my Honzo and in all honesty, I've noticed more difference going from the 32mm stanchions to 34mm vs 15QR to the 20mm Maxle.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I've had both on my Honzo and in all honesty, I've noticed more difference going from the 32mm stanchions to 34mm vs 15QR to the 20mm Maxle.
    I currently have both, fox is stiffer but I prefer the revelation damper. Bring on the lyrik!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I currently have both, fox is stiffer but I prefer the revelation damper. Bring on the lyrik!
    If SRAM won't do anything stupid, like 15QR only, or market to the 3% rides like the new Vivid.
    konahonzo

live long and huck
    Any of you guys still deciding on wheels, take a look at the e*thirteen LG1+ hubs. I've got some pretty hard and chunky rides on mine, and they make for a much stiffer wheel than your typical small flange hubs. I also ride DT Swiss 240s hubs, and I like the LG1+'s much better. I built them with WTB i23's, but I've got a pair of MTX33's coming tomorrow with some straight gauge spokes, going to be even stiffer yet.

live long and huck
    They've been out for a while, but you're right, very nice tire. Watch for the new Maxxis 29er offerings for gnarlier terrain. That's why I'm rebuilding with wider rims, I'm planning to mount up some 2.5's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    ...I've got a pair of MTX33's coming tomorrow...
    Where'd you find them?
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 03-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Where'd you find them?
    Universal Cycle, looks like they're out of stock right now, I ordered just in time. They do list 36 hole in stock. When I built my wheels, I considered a 36 spoke rear, but my hubs were available in 32 only.

beater
    They are a stout rim. I've been pleased with mine. They certainly aren't the lightest rim around, but if you're looking at them, you have other priorities. I have heard they're a handful for a tubeless setup, even ghetto, so I've never tried. I don't have many thorns up here, though.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

live long and huck
    I'll let you know on the difficulty of tubeless, but I haven't seen any reviews in that area that really concerned me. My tubeless method is 2 wraps with quality electrical tape, 1 wrap with Stan's yellow tape, and Stan's. I've have wheels that I've set up this way going on 3 years now with absolutely no issues. The trick I feel is to get everything extremely clean, and then take your time and keep the air bubbles worked out from under the tape while you're wrapping.

Powered by ice cream.

Prime Mini-Pro Review

Prime Mini-Pro Review

I like the Prime mostly. The Prime is frankly amazing blasting devil-may-care through some horrendous chunk. Stable, planted, bangity, bang, bang and it's done. The faster the better. I love the suspension downhill, and don't notice it at all braking. I feel like the thing has given me an extra gonad launching off my mini stuff.

I have found a couple things that irritate me that I can not put my finger on exactly:

1. This thing feels like a beast to pedal uphill. Pedaling efficiency from a mini-link? I am just not feeling it. It feels dead and like it sucks the life out of me with every pedal stroke. Worse or equal to a 6" Lunchbox. The thing is just a total pig and I find myself hating it for this at times. That feeling may get worse as the higher more steady climby trails open up around here. This climbing issue may just be life with a 34+ish pound bike. I have never liked them that heavy although the Stumpjumper was 32, so not a big difference. As a steady state climber, I find it to feel worse than the Stumpjumper, worse than a Behemoth (5") about equal to a Lunchbox (which has an inch more travel).

2. The rear of the Prime does something weird when I put the power on in the low gears. Whatever that thing is (Stiffening? Falling deeper into the travel? Extending out of travel? I don't know.), it causes an instant and unexpected loss of traction in loose over hard stuff. I notice it when I transition from a seated to standing position up a steep, short rise in lower gears. Of course any bike will struggle for traction in this sort of situation with small gears and standing rider, but I have done these moves many times with the my single pivots and the FSR. All my other bikes did not do this...whatever "this" is. Mostly it is the unexpectedness of the loss of traction that gets on my nerves. It is very abrupt when I hit the power transitioning from a seated spin to standing high power uphill sprint. I have a pretty decent sense of standing traction from a bunch of single speed riding, and this bike catches me off guard a lot.

That being said, I have also cleared some pretty amazing tech climbs I did not think I could possibly make on the bike. Don't know if that is fitness, new bike stoke, luck or what. All in all, I would say the more tech the climb, the better it likes it so long as the surface is not low traction. As a tech climber except for that one aspect, I would put it equal to the Stumpy, or Behemoth. All of them are pretty good.

It will be interesting to put this thing through the paces more on steeper, higher, lower traction trails and see if I notice the same. I guess my issue is that I don't feel like the bike is helping me find traction in a traction challenged situation and the wheel slips. My other bikes have given me traction at the expense perhaps of some pedaling efficiency. I was okay with that. I am still coming to terms with whether I am okay with the compromises the Prime makes in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

live long and huck
    Nice review, Enel. I agree completely on all points, except the loose over hard sitting/standing traction thing. I'm riding in similar terrain as you are, and have not noticed it, maybe I'm just not that in tune with how my bike feels. I whole heartedly agree with cleaning tech climbs that I never have before. As far as sustained uphills, mine is over 35 lbs, it doesn't feel excessively heavy, but I can definitely feel it. I consider it the price to pay for the "devil-may-care" downhill ability. This bike, IMO, is scary capable of hauling ass through chunk that you definitely don't want to fall down in. Hopefully this spring I can get up your way, I've been wanting to ride up there for a few years now, I hiked around in the Dells one time, looks like a blast to ride.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Prime Mini-Pro Review
    Hey Enel-
    I would be very interested to hear your thoughts after trying a different rear shock. Specifically something with a lot less volume. From the sounds of your post I wouldn't be surprised if the two issues were related, both sound to me like symptoms of a rear shock that goes through rear travel too easily under power. Adding LSC is not the ideal solution if the air spring is too linear.

You have a production bike and I have a proto, but I can say for my proto... I tried several rear shocks and they were all different flavors of Meh...until I picked up a cheap used rp23 and sent it off to PUSH along with the leverage curve chart. Interesting conversation with them, they reccomended a small volume can with very light compression damping and good bottom out control. With this shock my prime is very active but only goes deep into the travel on bigger hits. I can honestly say it climbs great with this shock (except for the frame weight.. which was offset nicely with some stiff carbon wheels).

Maybe a different can or some shims on your CCDBA?

live long and huck
    Cane Creek is recommending MORE volume for the Prime. I've settled in with my LSC @ 85%, LSR is up there a bit, HSC is down around 15%, HSR around 50%. Nice and squishy in the ruff stuff, decently firm yet responsive in the slower stuff. I'm pretty much out at the extremes of the adjustments for compression, CC claims the HV can will get this into the middle part of the scale.

FM
    mtbr member
    Of course Cane Creek's HV could ride like Fox's LV, and also the production bike might ride nothing like the proto.

But- anytime I feel like the bike is climbing sluggishly, despite plenty/excessive spring pressure and LSC, that says to me "too linear", which is usually too big of an air can. Too linear / not enough LSC could also explain loss of traction (blowing through travel while climbing).

Interesting that Cane creek's recommendations are so much different than the proto feedback. Small can, light tune was definitely the recommendation from both PUSH and Banshee for my prime proto.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What sag are you running at the shock in mm?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Powered by ice cream.

Production Prime Photo/Build thread

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey Enel-
    I would be very interested to hear your thoughts after trying a different rear shock. Specifically something with a lot less volume. From the sounds of your post I wouldn't be surprised if the two issues were related, both sound to me like symptoms of a rear shock that goes through rear travel too easily under power. Adding LSC is not the ideal solution if the air spring is too linear.

You have a production bike and I have a proto, but I can say for my proto... I tried several rear shocks and they were all different flavors of Meh...until I picked up a cheap used rp23 and sent it off to PUSH along with the leverage curve chart. Interesting conversation with them, they reccomended a small volume can with very light compression damping and good bottom out control. With this shock my prime is very active but only goes deep into the travel on bigger hits. I can honestly say it climbs great with this shock (except for the frame weight.. which was offset nicely with some stiff carbon wheels).

Maybe a different can or some shims on your CCDBA?
    FM. You make a lot of sense. Agree with your assessment and treatment. I will try the big old shim that came with the CCDBa and report back.

I thought the while idea of mini link bikes was that one did not have to mess around with shocks so much? Set up the LSC light so it is supple on the little stuff and let the linkage worry about climbing.

Powered by ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    What sag are you running at the shock in mm?
    I don't remember in mm, but it was 25% exactly. 13-14 mm if memory serves.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit perplexed by the high volume air can suggestion as well. There is little mechanical advantage to the linkage design, given it is a falling rate. With the stock Fox CTD at proper sag, I can easily bottom the shock by simply compressing the suspension with my legs just coasting along. I have been waffling back and forth regarding what shock to replace it with, but I think it will be hard to find a readily available solution, apart from a custom tune.

Powered by ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Cane Creek is recommending MORE volume for the Prime. I've settled in with my LSC @ 85%, LSR is up there a bit, HSC is down around 15%, HSR around 50%. Nice and squishy in the ruff stuff, decently firm yet responsive in the slower stuff. I'm pretty much out at the extremes of the adjustments for compression, CC claims the HV can will get this into the middle part of the scale.
    More air does not make sense to me. If anything, the current set up is too linear.

mtbr member
    E, regarding your climbing/traction observations...do you notice a difference depending on which ring up front?