Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1907
  1. #1001
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    I have gotten this far:

    Attachment 833798
    I hope you get it done for next weekend, I know how hard it is to wait.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  2. #1002
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I hope you get it done for next weekend, I know how hard it is to wait.
    Well if I can get hold of the adapter for i-SpecB it will definitely be done.

  3. #1003
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Well if I can get hold of the adapter for i-SpecB it will definitely be done.
    Yes I see you have been having a little problem with that.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  4. #1004
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Looking good, betting you'll like that TRACE and I know it saved you a good few hundred over a Fox or RS fork. Can't you just run the brakes and shifters by themselves if you don't have the adapter or did you buy the ones that have to be run together with the adapter? Another note and this could be very dangerous, your brakes are on back to front, could cause some serious injury :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    I have gotten this far:

    Attachment 833798
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  5. #1005
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Looking good, betting you'll like that TRACE and I know it saved you a good few hundred over a Fox or RS fork. Can't you just run the brakes and shifters by themselves if you don't have the adapter or did you buy the ones that have to be run together with the adapter? Another note and this could be very dangerous, your brakes are on back to front, could cause some serious injury :P
    That is how I run my brakes, RH to front brake.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  6. #1006
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Looking good, betting you'll like that TRACE and I know it saved you a good few hundred over a Fox or RS fork. Can't you just run the brakes and shifters by themselves if you don't have the adapter or did you buy the ones that have to be run together with the adapter? Another note and this could be very dangerous, your brakes are on back to front, could cause some serious injury :P
    You can either buy the part so that it clamps to your bar or the part so that it integrates to your lever with the new "B" version of the adapter. I am guessing either option will be a drama down here.

  7. #1007
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    That is how I run my brakes, RH to front brake.
    Me to, is there another way? 30+ years on the dirt bikes and it's ingrained.

    TR, you front brake cable is really to long. I just went through this with my new SLX brakes (totally freaking awesome BTW with organic Ice Tech pads) and it's very easy to shorten the line with no bleeding required. I did both front and back on my 650b Spitty without a hickup.

  8. #1008
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Me to, is there another way? 30+ years on the dirt bikes and it's ingrained.

    TR, you front brake cable is really to long. I just went through this with my new SLX brakes (totally freaking awesome BTW with organic Ice Tech pads) and it's very easy to shorten the line with no bleeding required. I did both front and back on my 650b Spitty without a hickup.
    Yep.
    Nowhere near finished yet so the hoses will definitely be shortened.

  9. #1009
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,824
    First day of Fall spent riding the Prime at 11k feet with a perma-grin!



















  10. #1010
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,986
    That part of the world doesn't suck.

  11. #1011
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Very nice, jn.

  12. #1012
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    First day of Fall spent riding the Prime at 11k feet with a perma-grin!
    Awesome JNC!

    I think summer has officially ended up here in the PNW, we had a very wet weekend.

    One of these days... Maybe I'll hit you up for a tour of the new digs!

  13. #1013
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    Rode my Prime all day at Angel Fire on Sunday. A full day of downhill and it was flawless. Rode every trail except the black diamonds, for lack of the riders capabilities, not the bikes.

    I passed my prime off to my buddies son who is riding an older Turner DH bike. The Turner is now for sale.

    I should be getting a CCDBA CS any day now, to finish my build and then I'll post pics.

  14. #1014
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Wheels built, hoses shortened.
    Just need to install the rotors, Stans the tyres, adjust the gears, work out how the dropper post works and we are away.
    Completed pictures tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_20130926_175515.jpg  


  15. #1015
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Wheels built, hoses shortened.
    Just need to install the rotors, Stans the tyres, adjust the gears, work out how the dropper post works and we are away.
    Completed pictures tomorrow.
    Cool color for the hubs.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  16. #1016
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Cool color for the hubs.
    Wait until you see the colour scheme Muz.

  17. #1017
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Wait until you see the colour scheme Muz.
    I built a Rally car that was Pink inside & out, It was cool & we ran it that color for 6 years .
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  18. #1018
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!










  19. #1019
    The Mountain Bike Life
    Reputation: mudpuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,345
    dang fine looking bike....love the colours!

  20. #1020
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    132
    Looks great TR, glad it all came together for you
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

  21. #1021
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    It's the weekend so we expect a ride report.


    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  22. #1022
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Not much to report from today.
    Did a short "shake down ride" and nothing fell off so that is good.
    Will take a while to get used to the front end versus my old XC bikes.
    Actually it is going to take a bit to get used to having suspension too.
    Glad I went with the L versus XL.
    It is a BIG bike.

  23. #1023
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Not much to report from today.
    Did a short "shake down ride" and nothing fell off so that is good.
    Will take a while to get used to the front end versus my old XC bikes.
    Actually it is going to take a bit to get used to having suspension too.
    Glad I went with the L versus XL.
    It is a BIG bike.
    Yes size is hard when you can't ride 1st & it is your 1st bike of that kind.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  24. #1024
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Lookin pretty good TR, but we'll put a disclaimer that you can keep the colour combo, IF, you find either a matching blue or green saddle I think a matching bue or green saddle would just kill it SO, so very interested to hear your thoughts on this beast after so many years of being an XC lad I know I made the switch from long stems, narrow bars and steep HTAs a few years ago and can't believe I waited or didn't understand for so long what fun and confidence I was missing, will never go back ot a HTA over 68*, a bar under 750mm or stem over 90mm
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  25. #1025
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    About as close as I got to riding something worthy of the Prime today.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-1380288_225794574251828_1370422760_n.jpg

  26. #1026
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    So, how's it feel to not worry about picking a line when you get to stuff like that and actually looking for the rougher lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    About as close as I got to riding something worthy of the Prime today.
    Yeah, I really would like to give a Large a try, it is quite a big bike, but even though it may be a bit long in the XL for me, I still find it handles what I love, slow, rocky, chunky goodness so well. Don't know if it's the extra stability of the longer WB, rigid chasis or what, but when I 1st got mine I couldn't believe the stuff I was riding that I'd had trouble with before - bringing it to a stall, picking a new line/switching lines and pressing on is so easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Not much to report from today.
    Did a short "shake down ride" and nothing fell off so that is good.
    Will take a while to get used to the front end versus my old XC bikes.
    Actually it is going to take a bit to get used to having suspension too.
    Glad I went with the L versus XL.
    It is a BIG bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  27. #1027
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So, how's it feel to not worry about picking a line when you get to stuff like that and actually looking for the rougher lines? .
    It's not so much a case of not having to worry about picking a line IMO, It's more trying to find things to launch off & then hunting down ruffer trails.

    Lynx what is your opinion of the Trace 34 over the Fox 34, You have ridden them both now ?
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  28. #1028
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    No, only have the F34 myself, but did bring one in for a friend (lowered to 120mm on SC TB) and he seems quite happy with it and I thought it looked and felt very nice when I was setting up the bike for him. Hoping to order in one for myself by end of year to give a go, then would prob put the F34 on a V2 Paradox frame. For the price, if I was doing my Prime build again buying the Trace would be the obvious choice with it's price to performance ratio - think it's as good as the Fox, but man so much cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It's not so much a case of not having to worry about picking a line IMO, It's more trying to find things to launch off & then hunting down ruffer trails.

    Lynx what is your opinion of the Trace 34 over the Fox 34, You have ridden them both now ?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  29. #1029
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Still need to train my brain from being on a rigid Lynx.
    It will come.

  30. #1030
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    I put in a 10 mile 1800 ft chunkathon today, I'll try to get some video together in the next day or two. I rode stuff that was definitely the scariest that I've been through yet, Prime ate it up. I did have a few occasions where I'd hit one 2 ft drop then immediately have to hit another, or more. My shock felt a bit mushy for that, fork maybe a touch too, compressed a touch too easy and didn't rebound quite fast enough. On the other hand, high speed rock and stutter bumps practically disappear. Time for a little more tweaking. Or twerking.

  31. #1031
    dlc
    dlc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    228
    BETTER PICS COMING!!









    Frame: Black XL
    Fork: Fox34 TALAS 140mm
    Crankset: XT soon to be black XO
    Chainguide: Blackspire Stinger
    Bottom Bracket: Hope ceramic
    Pedals: XT SPD
    Seatpost: Reverb
    Seat: Black Chromag Trailmaster
    Bars: Raceface Atlas Green
    Grips: ODI Rogue with ODI lock ons
    Stem: Chromag Ranger black
    Headset: CaneCreek 40 Series
    Brakes: Hays Stroker Ace 4 piston. 200mmF/180mmR
    Shifter: XO
    Derailleur: Med cage X9 type 2
    Cassette: Sram 1070 12-36
    F Hub: I9 polished hub green spokes
    R Hub: I9 polished hub green spokes
    Rims: Stan's
    Tires: Hans Dampfs
    Seatpost Clamp: Loaded Green
    Shock: CCDBa cs xv
    Weight = 32.5 pounds

    Coming off a turner Sultan that I loved but I'm really impressed so far with this frame!

  32. #1032
    The Mountain Bike Life
    Reputation: mudpuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,345
    Love the black. I am VERY tempted to pick up a DB air, but I have not had any issues with my Float CTD yet.

  33. #1033
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    231
    well, I have a Float ctd on my Prime as well, and it works fine, but I rode a friend's bike sporting CCDB and it has such a smooother response on rough terrain that I'm regretting not having spent 150$ more.

  34. #1034
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,309
    Just a quick add:

    I put a Pike on the Prime and it made it a new bike. Best fork ever.

    Went with 150X51 offset and it jacked the bars pretty high. Once I got the bar height under control, it started to rip.

    Best
    Fork
    Ever...

    I am going to try a 140mm travel reducer as 150 is just a bit too much for the frame IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  35. #1035
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,309

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381870056.586761.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381870068.142222.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381870094.612461.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381870107.385046.jpg
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381870144.590971.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  36. #1036
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

    I am going to try a 140mm travel reducer as 150 is just a bit too much for the frame IMO.
    Afaik you can't travel die pike? If you want 140mm you need a new damper?

  37. #1037
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    I've done it both ways, Enel, I like the 150 just fine. I was up your way 3 or 4 weeks ago, first time I've ridden in the Dells, very nice. Did a full loop out to Constellation also, that was no cake walk either.

  38. #1038
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326

    My Prime


    Frame: Medium
    Fork: Float 34
    Shock: CCDBA CS VX
    Crankset/BB: Raceface Turbine 38/24
    Stem: Raceface Atlas Red 50mm
    Bar: Race Face Atlas Stealth 785mm
    Brakes: SLX M675 w/IceTech rotors 208F/180R
    Rear Der: XT M786 Shadow+
    Front Der: XT M785
    Shifters: XT M780 I-Spec
    Cassette: Shimano M771 11-36
    Seatpost: KS LEV
    Saddle: WTB Pure V pro
    Wheelset: Sun Ringle Charger Pro
    Tires: Geax Gato Tubeless
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Pedals: Canfield Bros Crampon Ultimate
    Seatpost Clamp: Deity Cinch
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Bash Guard: MRP XCG

    Weight:32.6 lbs
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

  39. #1039
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    I love the stealth look!

    You should go full stealth and take the fork decals off.
    Was it hard to get the frame decals off?

  40. #1040
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    69
    My black prime. Will change the fender to a black one next season. Still love the bike (have it since first frames got shipped to Europe)

    Btw, what torque is recommend for the dropouts?

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-image.jpg

  41. #1041
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12
    Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a full-sus bike (coming from a 29er hardtail, with little to none real life experience on rear suspension). The Prime is on my short list, and the intended purpose is Trail/AM (actually more of a do-it-all).

    I have a few questions regarding the rear shock (I'm 250lbs/115kg in my birth suit, 6'3''/1.9m tall and a 34ish inseam, so I will stress a little bit the normal configuration of a shock from what I read here and there), I'm pretty much confused on which option should I go, CCDBA/Monarch+:
    - did anybody tried the RS Monarch+ RC3 on the bike (I see only one tune for this model, MM) and to what results did they come?
    - on the CCDBa CS - is there already a factory setting for CS for Banshee Prime (as far as I understood the Climb Switch is factory tuned to the frame model, and you can not change it afterwards or play with it)?

    Fox is out of my wishlist as the nearest authorised service is +1k kilometers away from me, and a very different language. More or less the same with Cane Creek, but it has great reviews, apart a few from Specialized owners lately

  42. #1042
    dlc
    dlc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a full-sus bike (coming from a 29er hardtail, with little to none real life experience on rear suspension). The Prime is on my short list, and the intended purpose is Trail/AM (actually more of a do-it-all).

    I have a few questions regarding the rear shock (I'm 250lbs/115kg in my birth suit, 6'3''/1.9m tall and a 34ish inseam, so I will stress a little bit the normal configuration of a shock from what I read here and there), I'm pretty much confused on which option should I go, CCDBA/Monarch+:
    - did anybody tried the RS Monarch+ RC3 on the bike (I see only one tune for this model, MM) and to what results did they come?
    - on the CCDBa CS - is there already a factory setting for CS for Banshee Prime (as far as I understood the Climb Switch is factory tuned to the frame model, and you can not change it afterwards or play with it)?

    Fox is out of my wishlist as the nearest authorised service is +1k kilometers away from me, and a very different language. More or less the same with Cane Creek, but it has great reviews, apart a few from Specialized owners lately

    I'm 6'6" 230#'s down for 250#'s. Im running the CCDBa cs and love it. The CS feature is preset and is amazing. I'm making steep tec climbs on this bike I had never made on my Sultan with a CCDBA and still consider it one of the best bikes I have owned.

    The Prime is going to build out heavier than some other options but lets face it, at are size we will never ride a light bike. Now if you look at a body size to bike weight ratio it is still light.

    I bought a prime for its descending/stiffness but was totally shocked by how well the thing climbs. It is truly shocking.

    So to some it up go with the Cane Creek. Great company and the shock for the most part is user serviceable and will really need to be sent to a service center for anything. The prime is meant for a DB!

  43. #1043
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm pretty much sold on the Prime and the higher weight is not a big issue if it comes with increased stiffness.

    Do you run your shock with volume spacers?

  44. #1044
    dlc
    dlc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm pretty much sold on the Prime and the higher weight is not a big issue if it comes with increased stiffness.

    Do you run your shock with volume spacers?
    No. I run the XV air can.

  45. #1045
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115

  46. #1046
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    That is a really excellent review- especially since most of the test riding was lifted/shuttled and the Prime was clearly ridden hard. I suspect the slack drop-outs would have been better... thanks for sharing!

    Great shot:
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-ald4-620x645.jpg

  47. #1047
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    231
    Hi community.
    I'd like to switch the FLOAT CTD on my Prime for a CCDB airCS.
    anybody knows if I have to order a special version or the adjustability of the shock will handle the task ?

    chime for Keith.

  48. #1048
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    Hi community.
    I'd like to switch the FLOAT CTD on my Prime for a CCDB airCS.
    anybody knows if I have to order a special version or the adjustability of the shock will handle the task ?

    chime for Keith.
    The real beauty of the DBair is that the range of adjustibility means that you can set it up to work well with any well designed frame. You can get an off the shelf shock and use the base tune settings on the CC website to help you dial it in.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  49. #1049
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    231
    Thanks Keith,
    so no Hv, Lv cans or comp/reb mid/hi to hassle with.
    Great customer support from Banshee.
    When I tell to my bike mates that I enquire directly to the designer of my bike they just go crazy

  50. #1050
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    With the prime it comes down to personal preferance if you want the XV can. It means you can get a more linear feel and run heavier compression damping and still use full travel. The regular can will feel more progressive and you can run lighter compression damping without blowing through travel. You can always go XV and use spacers to give you the full range of options.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  51. #1051
    mtbr member
    Reputation: filbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    With the prime it comes down to personal preferance if you want the XV can. It means you can get a more linear feel and run heavier compression damping and still use full travel. The regular can will feel more progressive and you can run lighter compression damping without blowing through travel. You can always go XV and use spacers to give you the full range of options.
    thanks Keith,
    and if I decide to go with RS monarch plus RTC3 what tune I have to choose?

  52. #1052
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    thanks Keith,
    and if I decide to go with RS monarch plus RTC3 what tune I have to choose?
    The Prime has an overall leverage ratio of about 2.3:1 and is prgressive overall, so I would recommend the Low tune.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  53. #1053
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Although not an option AFAIK now from Banshee is the X-Fusion Vector HLR. A couple of the original Prime testers have these and are very pleased with them and I think cost wise it'd also save a few $$. When I get some spare $$ I'll be getting one for my Prime to be able to better tune the Prime to my likings - having both HIGH and LOW speed compression would be nice, especially compared to my DHXA I have right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    thanks Keith,
    and if I decide to go with RS monarch plus RTC3 what tune I have to choose?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  54. #1054
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,824
    The Prime seriously ROCKS!

















  55. #1055
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,986

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Sold. I'm already planning our spring trip.

  56. #1056
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Awesome shots!

    Yes, some dry trails sound great right about now!

  57. #1057
    dlc
    dlc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    228



    Starting to really get the prime dialed. It needed a riser bar. Getting the DB dialed how I like it and decided on the slack dropout setting.

  58. #1058
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,900
    Cool, cloudy, and sometimes rainy ride today. The Prime was stellar as usual.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_2315.jpg

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_2286.jpg

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_2309.jpg

  59. #1059
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,309

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    More pics like above of the Prime in action at this thread:

    3 days to play.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...%20mbedwebsite
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  60. #1060
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Thanks to my buddy Kevmo for grabbing these shots on yesterdays ride!


    3H5A4340.jpg by kevmophilabuster, on Flickr


    Was pretty puckered up for this one!

    3H5A4433.jpg by kevmophilabuster, on Flickr

  61. #1061
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,824
    I really like the direction this thread has recently headed!
    Nice pics!


  62. #1062
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    Has anyone spent much time in all three settings for the rear end??? How much difference did you notice???

    I like that I can get a bit of BB height for those particular trails that grab at your pedals! Looks like it would take 5 minutes to change the chips around.

    Anyone change the chips on the trail?
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

    PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

  63. #1063
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    I rode the middle for month of July...switched to slackest and have not switched gone back...too much fun. I noticed a big difference immediately...way more fun on the decents and fast track...haven't had any issues on the climbing - even after 1500 miles. I also moved to a 34 wide narrow single up front...highly recommend.

    I'm 6'5" and 225...the slackest setting made me the most comfortable for my style of riding...which is pointing it down
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Has anyone spent much time in all three settings for the rear end??? How much difference did you notice???

    I like that I can get a bit of BB height for those particular trails that grab at your pedals! Looks like it would take 5 minutes to change the chips around.

    Anyone change the chips on the trail?

  64. #1064
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Love the murder out...remove with heat gun??

  65. #1065
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Has anyone spent much time in all three settings for the rear end??? How much difference did you notice???
    I've played with mine a bit. They can be changed on the trail, in fact it can be done without removing the wheel (although it's not really any easier).

    Most all my local trails have some faster/steeper bits, where I prefer the slack setting, so it will stay there. I did enjoy the "mid" setting for riding Bend Oregon.

    It's a great feature and well executed. I would guess it's more useful for the Rune/Spitty where there's more variations in fork lengths and wheel sizes.

  66. #1066
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Great shot, perfectly caught in mid action. How far is that to the landing, about 4ft? Landing looks a bit sketchy if you get it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Thanks to my buddy Kevmo for grabbing these shots on yesterdays ride! Was pretty puckered up for this one!
    I played around with , pre-production and you can most definitely tell a difference, especially when pointed down, expected more going up, but honestly didn't have any bothers climbing in the slackest setting. Keep mine is the steep setting most of the time, just kind of more XC type stuff I ride mostly and it also kind of feels like cheating in the slack setting Yes, not a problem to switch it trail side if say maybe you had some super long climb of like an hour and them super long DH.
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted
    Has anyone spent much time in all three settings for the rear end??? How much difference did you notice???
    I like that I can get a bit of BB height for those particular trails that grab at your pedals! Looks like it would take 5 minutes to change the chips around. Anyone change the chips on the trail?
    Quote Originally Posted by pmorganii View Post
    I rode the middle for month of July...switched to slackest and have not switched gone back...too much fun. I noticed a big difference immediately...way more fun on the decents and fast track...haven't had any issues on the climbing - even after 1500 miles. I also moved to a 34 wide narrow single up front...highly recommend.

    I'm 6'5" and 225...the slackest setting made me the most comfortable for my style of riding...which is pointing it down
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  67. #1067
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    What size tires are you guys running?

    What weights are you coming in at? Are you building more xc/trail or trail/am?

    Thanks!
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

    PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

  68. #1068
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,900

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    What size tires are you guys running?

    What weights are you coming in at? Are you building more xc/trail or trail/am?

    Thanks!
    My build is more XC/trail and comes in around 29 lbs.

    I am running 2.2" tires. Some of the weight savings on my build vs others is the fact that I don't run a dropper post.

  69. #1069
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Great shot, perfectly caught in mid action. How far is that to the landing, about 4ft? Landing looks a bit sketchy if you get it wrong.
    Thanks, yes my buddy Kevmo is quite a photographer-this was taken right at dusk by the way.

    The drop itself is not too bad, yes probably 4' to a nice tranny, but the approach is steep & hairy, and theres a 180d switchback less than 2 bike lengths before the drop. So I basically came to a stop at the switchback exit and let go of the brakes. Fun!

  70. #1070
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    935

    How would you describe the Prime suspension feel?

    Plush?
    Linear?
    Progressive?
    Firm?

    I've had an eye on the Prime ever since it released, but since I have been on a WFO, I've just been admiring the bike from the sidelines...but now that they are on sale...might be time to try something new.

    I've got some lower back issues and really need a bike that is plush; bikes that I would refer to as plush are Vpp1 Nomad, 1st Gen Bullit (never rode the last gen),Giant Reign, ReignX.

    The WFO is just a bit too firm for me, sometimes causing some lower back pain on long rides.

    Thanks,

    -Sp

  71. #1071
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Commenting on the pre-production frame, but it feels quite plush to me. I mainly ride it with the DHXA and as per usual with those shocks, the mid stroke it sort of blows through with PP of, but just re-shimed it and it's feeling a lot better, but still want to play around with the shim stacks some more, or at least until I can afford a Vector HLR Air for it Production frames had some suspension curve tweaks so will be better if someone else who has a production Prime comments, or better yet, someone like FM who had both.

    [EDIT to add] I guess the best way to describe it's feel is it works when it should and you don't really ever know until you look at the o-ring on the shock and see how much travel you've used. I run the bottom out on the DHXA almost full open and have never bottomed out the shock yet, use about 90% to maybe 95% travel if I square edge something really hard - never feel it though I had the original Trance and this definitely pedals better and yet has a more active suspension, would really like to try a production to see the tweaks in the suspension.

    How would you describe the Prime suspension feel?
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  72. #1072
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Production frames had some suspension curve tweaks so will be better if someone else who has a production Prime comments, or better yet, someone like FM who had both.
    Yes there were definitely some tweaks to the production frames! I don't know what exactly- and the proto had great suspension- but the production bike pedals a little better and riders higher in the travel, without really feeling "firmer". I used the same shock on both frames, a Fox RP23 custom tuned for the prime with the big hit kit. Push said they valved the shock with very light compression and light or medium rebound.

    Production or proto, I would describe the Prime as being progressive, which I like. You don't have to jack up the pressure or compression to prevent bottom out when riding hard.

    SinglePivot, compared to the bikes you've listed, I'd say the prime rides most like a Reign or ReignX, but much more neutral (no noticeable pedal kickback)- like a cross between a reign and a trek remedy. Very composed and well behaved, no bad habits. I did try some different shocks on my proto Prime and found the lighter tunes worked best.

    Of course it's a 130mm travel 29'er, so I wouldn't say it's as plush as a longer travel 26'er. I haven't ridden any 29'ers with more travel in back.

  73. #1073
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    935
    Thanks for the feedback FM! I guess I'm not sensitive to pedal feedback as I would not associate that with the Reign. Definitely noticeable on the Santa Cruz's.

    -Sp

    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Yes there were definitely some tweaks to the production frames! I don't know what exactly- and the proto had great suspension- but the production bike pedals a little better and riders higher in the travel, without really feeling "firmer". I used the same shock on both frames, a Fox RP23 custom tuned for the prime with the big hit kit. Push said they valved the shock with very light compression and light or medium rebound.

    Production or proto, I would describe the Prime as being progressive, which I like. You don't have to jack up the pressure or compression to prevent bottom out when riding hard.

    SinglePivot, compared to the bikes you've listed, I'd say the prime rides most like a Reign or ReignX, but much more neutral (no noticeable pedal kickback)- like a cross between a reign and a trek remedy. Very composed and well behaved, no bad habits. I did try some different shocks on my proto Prime and found the lighter tunes worked best.

    Of course it's a 130mm travel 29'er, so I wouldn't say it's as plush as a longer travel 26'er. I haven't ridden any 29'ers with more travel in back.

  74. #1074
    CP
    Reputation: C.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    194
    'was talking bikes with my brother last week (he's in the market), and I was going on and on how the Prime excels at everything I throw at it; When (properly) equipped with a dropper post, wide bars/shorty stem, & built up for some abuse with CCDB, RS Pike, 150/12 rear hub & MTX33 - you'd be hard pressed to find many options like this setup for a big/tall aggressive rider ...all my other MTB are gathering dust.

    My brother, a man of few words, replied with what I now affectionately use to describe the Prime: A "Quiver Killer"

    I couldn't agree any more.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-1377382_10153348791860521_438824944_n.jpg
    Last edited by C.P.; 12-12-2013 at 09:46 AM.

  75. #1075
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Curious what some of the lighter Prime builds are coming in at?

    I have always avoided weighing my bikes, but my friend had a scale handy last week. My Prime came in at 31.8lbs/14.43kg, which I thought was pretty respectable given my build (carbon rims, 2.35s, dropper post, chainguide, DH cranks & bars). Looks like I could knock ~1lb/500g off without too much cost or compromise.

  76. #1076
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    My XL is currently ar 32.5 lbs, mostly XT build, flows with hopes, turbines, SixC bars, real tires etc...
    Got some changes under way that will drop over a pound though!

  77. #1077
    CP
    Reputation: C.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    194
    My XL is at 34. The beefy wheel/tire build certainly contributes (Hadley 36spoke 150mm rear/MTX33rims & Minions), mostly XT build, RF DH bars, Chromag stem, Reverb etc.
    Last edited by C.P.; 12-21-2013 at 10:50 PM.

  78. #1078
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    right now I'm riding a Transition Trans Am 29 with a 2011 120mm Reba, it weighs 29.8 lbs.

    I'll be putting all of the parts onto my Banshee Prime, except for swapping the Reba for an X-fusion Trace. I'm hoping to be around 30lbs, but I'm thinking it may be over 31 with the following parts:

    Banshee Prime XL
    CC-DBair CS
    X-Fusion Trace Tapered
    Cane Creek 40 hs
    Cheap-o 70mm stem (probably getting a spank spike 50mm)
    Easton Haven 711mm carbon bars (want to get 785mm bars though)
    Ergon GA1 Leichtbau grips (ergon team green)
    Rock Shox Reverb 125mm seatpost
    Crank Brothers Iodine 11 Saddle (Made by Fizik)
    SRAM carbon crankset
    Race Face N/W 30t
    XT Trail Pedals
    SRAM hollow pin 9sp chain
    XT 11-34 9sp cassette
    XTR 9 sp long cage derailleur
    Hope Evo2 pro hubs 12x142 rear (15mm front)
    Stans Flow Ex Rims, Brass nipples, Butted spokes
    Ardent EXO 2.4 f & Rear
    Avid Elixir CR 2011 brakes, 180mm rotors

    Hopefully I can upgrade to XT clutch 10 speed and xt trail brakes with ice-tech rotors, not really sure if there are any places that I could afford-ably lose any weight without sacrificing durability.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

    PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

  79. #1079
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    My XL is currently ar 32.5 lbs, mostly XT build, flows with hopes, turbines, SixC bars, real tires etc...
    Got some changes under way that will drop over a pound though!
    What changes are you thinking about? I lost about a pound by converting from 3x9 to 1x9, but that's cause I had a cheap crankset with steel small ring.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

    PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

  80. #1080
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    I've got a Pike coming to replace my Fox float 34, building up a new wheelset with wide 35mm carbon rims and lighter hubs and going to try tubeless while I'm at it. The 1 x 10 or 11 doesn't quite cut it in my area, long singletrack climbs (I'd need to run a 28 up front - which some friends have done - which results in being under geared at the top end for me personally). Also going to a slightly lighter dropper post. Should add up to a bit over a pound.
    I might be interested in a carbon crankset if anyone makes them in 180mm (although I would probably still go with XTR for the strength), haven't run 175's in 20 years on my main bikes, only exceptions are my fat bike and my dh.

  81. #1081
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    I've never seen a 180mm carbon crankset, it would be nice except I'm always worried about pedal strikes with some of the trails I ride.

    With everything you're planning on changing I would guess 1.5 lbs. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

    PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

  82. #1082
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Yeah, the changes in theory add up to almost 1 1/2 lbs, but I like to hedge my bets.
    I've ridden my bikes all over the world, the longer cranks are rarely an issue. One big key to success is a fast engagement hub if you so encounter super rocky sections you can ratchet through, one of several reasons I'm ditching my Hopes (although the new 40 engagement point versions would help - but I havent been too stoked on the durability of the EVO's). The benefits for taller riders are worth it, I find they allow you to take advantage of the leverage of longer legs and put your knees in a better position over the pedals to reduce strain. They also let you slightly lower your center of gravity when cornering.

  83. #1083
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    36 lbs, 4 1/2 lbs of that being Maxxis tires.

    What rims Martin?? Every time that I pedal mine up anything more than a short uphill, I think about putting it on a diet. I'm not overly concerned about weight, but mine is a bit heavy. Love it going down through the chunk though. Carbon rims kind of scare me, but I can't say as I've ever heard of anybody busting one. I've got a buddy though that busts about 2 carbon frames a year.

  84. #1084
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    There are a few 35mm versions starting to show up. Derby are looking pretty nice, but a couple of the direct Chinese companies also have them in the works. Currently I'm leaning towards the Light Bicycle versions because they are cheap enough to experiment with. I know some people that have broken carbon rims, but it is usually a manufacturer defect that is covered by warranty. My neighbor has heen running the LB carbons for years no issue, and he's kinda crazy on a bike....

  85. #1085
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Nice. so I've got some renthal fatlite carbon bars on the way, which will drop 170g over my current bars. Sometime after the holiday$ I'll pick up some raceface Next SL cranks, which will drop 375g compared to my current e13 LG1+s. That's .5kg or 1lb!

    More easy weight to lose in my ghetto 1x9 drivetrain and seat collar. But that will wait. Anyways 30.5 for my medium seems doable.

  86. #1086
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    By the way- totally sold on carbon rims, just for the stiffness alone.
    I do think watching tire pressure carefully with a digital gauge is key for durability.

  87. #1087
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    By the way- totally sold on carbon rims, just for the stiffness alone.
    I do think watching tire pressure carefully with a digital gauge is key for durability.
    I'm pretty anal about tire pressure, very rarely do I smack a rim, like almost never, and I'm at 27 psi front with my 2.5.

    I am twiddling around on the Derby website right now. Hmmm. I forget my LG1+ hub weight specs, but I'm thinking that they aren't much heavier than a small flange hub. XT crankset, KS 150mm LEV. No one thing on my bike besides my tires is excessively heavy, but it all adds up.

  88. #1088
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    I throw up a lot of rocks when riding, usually only takes one or two rides on new rims before they start looking used. Carbon will hold up to this??

  89. #1089
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    $165 for a carbon fiber Light Bicycle 23mm inner width 29er. $300 for a Derby at 29mm. That doesn't really seem all that bad, considering.

  90. #1090
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    , one of several reasons I'm ditching my Hopes (although the new 40 engagement point versions would help - but I havent been too stoked on the durability of the EVO's)
    I've had my own issues. I've blown my rear EVO up 4x so far, between bearing failure and two broken freehub bodies. The last one was an alloy loaner from my LBS. I'll replace it with a Hadley this winter.

    My (pre-production) Prime is great for slow climbs followed by long downhills, but for quicker up/down cycles or more rolling trails, I really would like to have a lighter bike. I haven't weighed mine, either. Obviously I could lose nearly 1.5 lbs just by moving to the production version, but the real answer is a more 'trail' bike. Maybe the Phantom down the road.

  91. #1091
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Just spent some time crunching numbers, I'd have to spend A LOT of money to knock off 2 lbs. My seat post is heavy, and my tires, otherwise everything else is within reason to much more expensive components. I think my efforts would be more greatly rewarded if they were applied to me eating less ice cream and less Skittles.

  92. #1092
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've had my own issues. I've blown my rear EVO up 4x so far, between bearing failure and two broken freehub bodies. The last one was an alloy loaner from my LBS. I'll replace it with a Hadley this winter.

    My (pre-production) Prime is great for slow climbs followed by long downhills, but for quicker up/down cycles or more rolling trails, I really would like to have a lighter bike. I haven't weighed mine, either. Obviously I could lose nearly 1.5 lbs just by moving to the production version, but the real answer is a more 'trail' bike. Maybe the Phantom down the road.
    Yeah, same issues with my Hopes. Freehub body cracks x2, disintegrated bearings.... My older model Hopes held up way better.

  93. #1093
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    $165 for a carbon fiber Light Bicycle 23mm inner width 29er. $300 for a Derby at 29mm. That doesn't really seem all that bad, considering.
    LB also has a 35mm wide 29er rim coming out this month, similar dimensions to Derbys at cheaper prices.

  94. #1094
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Yeah, same issues with my Hopes. Freehub body cracks x2, disintegrated bearings.... My older model Hopes held up way better.
    What do you guys weigh or what are you doing to break these?
    I have had probably 5 Hope hubsets and never had a single issue apart from worn out bearings that I have replaced.

  95. #1095
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,894


    31.4lb
    Large polished frame
    X-Fusion Trace fork
    Fox shock
    Spank Spoon riser bar (blue)
    Funn Crossfire stem (polished)
    WTB Silverado saddle
    ESI Chunky grips
    XT M780(?) crankset and BB
    E13 G-Ring (blue) - 32t
    XT 10 M780 speed trigger shifter
    XT brakes with 160mm rear and 180mm front
    XT shadow+ 10 speed rear derailleur
    Generic blue headset I found on ebay
    Pink Hope hubs laced to WTB i23 rims (32h, 3x)
    Pink Purely Custom top cap and seatpost clamp with my logo and brand (as per my avatar and signature)
    Geax AKA rear and Sturdy front.
    Time ATAC pedals

  96. #1096
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,900

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    My Derby rims on the Prime have held up great so far. Several months of riding and they look like new. I usually run pressures around 20 psi, fwiw.

    I agree with FM that the real advantage of carbon rims is the stiffness.

  97. #1097
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    What do you guys weigh or what are you doing to break these?
    I have had probably 5 Hope hubsets and never had a single issue apart from worn out bearings that I have replaced.
    I'm a bit over 200 lbs, ride a fair bit during the summer with lots of singletrack climbs and live within 15 minutes ride of 70 + trailheads. 2 of my riding buddies with Hope EVOs have had similar issues as well - one has the Hope pro 3's and his inner bearing on the freehub totally blew up, no bearing was left whole, he had them for 5 weeks at that point.
    On the plus side the Canadian distributor is awesome, replacement parts show up quick! They weren't surprised by any of our issues either, said they had boxes of cracked freehub bodies.

  98. #1098
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    22,027
    Yeah, have to agree, I guess for lighter riders they work just fine. Have had my Pro2 SS/Trials hub and front for 5+ years and still going strong, only problem I've encountered is the stupid 2 small bearings in the freehub blowing up (Hope fixed and now uses a roller bearing) but I got 2 years off the first set and now about 3 years from the 2nd. Oh yeah, broke a pawl spring, contacted Hope and they mailed me out a complete new set, also guess I maybe tightened down the bolt on too tight and smashed the freehub spacer, they mailed that out FOC as well. Bot sure what the newer EVOs are like, but my original Pro2s have definitely taken a good beating, BUT, I only weigh about 180-190lbs geared to ride.

    Side note, wish I'd gone for the 150mm rear, as I use the SS/Trials hub with 6 cogs and when I've had to go back to a normal 9spd cassette, the chainline is just whacked - 50mm chainline is good for a 150mm rear if you don't like cross chaining, IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    What do you guys weigh or what are you doing to break these?
    I have had probably 5 Hope hubsets and never had a single issue apart from worn out bearings that I have replaced.
    Last edited by LyNx; 12-15-2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: fix brackets
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  99. #1099
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,986

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    What do you guys weigh or what are you doing to break these?
    I have had probably 5 Hope hubsets and never had a single issue apart from worn out bearings that I have replaced.
    225, and I do a lot of low cadence grunt climbing in 24x36.

    The first time I broke the freehub body, my friend at the LBS thought that I had slightly stripped the teeth in the ring nested in the hub. Hope disagreed, based on photos, but he feels that led to the cascade of problems that followed. Either way, I'm moving to a different hub.

  100. #1100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Here's my Prime

    X Fusion Vector Air HLR
    Fox Float 34 CTD
    Full XTR Gruppo, except for XT cassette
    Enve DH Bars
    Rockshox Reverb
    WTB i25's on Hadley's.
    Spesh Butcher front, Purg rear
    Race Face Atlas 50mm stem
    XT Trail Pedals

    32.5 pounds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_1521.jpg  


Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast