Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1882
  1. #901
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    75
    Yes I think we like to take mud and just add more grit to it for the hell of it. Well certainly in the trail centres, but most of my riding is just local woods and bog lands etc... all fun and games

    However last weekend was a trip to 24/12 down plymouth way.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-1073810_10151820889529783_744657811_o.jpg

    A few stream crossings later and she needed a clean in said stream!

    Back to mud riding in Caerphilly tomorrow.
    If anyone is every in the area, more than welcome to show you round some of the cheeky trails we got here

    As for the Fork, I think I am going to wait for some more user reviews to come out for the Pikes and give them a whirl in the new year if its looking promising.

  2. #902
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I feel you on the removable spider cranks. I've got a X9 and X0 as well. I really want to bling out my SB95c and get the turquoise SixC crank, but I don't want to go back to chainring bolts. Even though I do think you can run down to a 30T on the new Race Face narrow/wide rings.
    To be fair, I'm probably softening on that stance now that you can get 30t rings that fit 104 BCD cranks without grinding them. I doubt I'd ever use a 28t 1x drivetrain.

  3. #903
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    As Swild said, Cane Creek do the 110 and you can buy the lower cup only if you wish. Had a Hope years ago thought it would be much better, got CC S-3 headsets for other non main rides and they worked flawlessly, so no longer buy the fancy ones. Have a CC 40 on my Prime, no issues, but like you I'd like some colour on my headset to match the rest of the bits, must say prefer the design of the King, but not sure it's worth it's premium.

    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I think Cane Creek 110 series is available in blue. I have CC 40's in all my bikes, no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Still collecting parts.
    Any other suggestions for blue headsets aside from King?
    Anything a little cheaper?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  4. #904
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Still collecting parts.
    Any other suggestions for blue headsets aside from King?
    Anything a little cheaper?
    Totally satisfied with my Banshee Munroe headset so far. Smooth, quiet, inexpensive.
    It's similar to the cane creeks in terms of design... split conical race top & bottom
    5 chilis!

  5. #905
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by phat-ant View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Ive been running the prime since January now and its been great ride. I am now however getting some squeeking noisies from the rear end and I think it might be time to replace the bearings, does anyone have a list of which to obtain or if there is a kit available. I looked on the UK distributors website and couldnt see anything listed for the V2 frames or an exploded diagram on the banshee website.
    Any info would be great.
    Thanks
    Ant.
    p.s. how are those Pikes holding up FM? Much better than 34s?
    The Pike is awesome so far. Definitely another level vs. the Fox stuff.... stiffer, less stiction, and the spring curve & damping feels much better.

    Hey regarding the squeaking. I went through some bearings on my proto and found that a creaking/ticking is what happens when you've got any bearing/pivot issues. Squeaking, I would think is not the bearings, maybe the shock or cables?

    My Prime is actually pulled apart at the moment- developed a creak during my whistler trip- but the pivot bearings checked out OK (except for the LH seatstay which was just a little notchy)- looks like my BB was the culprit.

  6. #906
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    75
    Cheers FM, I think my bottom bracket is toast anyhow need to swap it out for the spare I have. also need a new chain and cassette as i think ive got about 3mm of stretch on the go

    Glad to hear the reports on the Pike, I bumped into someone with the 650b dual pos ones i the woods last week and he was loving them, just wondering if the servicing intervals are as bad as the fox stuff.

    The bombers on my other bike have been faultless for 6000+kms I just don't get why other brands can't get it right considering the crazy prices things are atm. any how thats another matter

    Prime = ace, love it.

  7. #907
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocketfuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    145
    My Prime has developed a terrible creaking. Any ideas if it might be the ks link? Can I check the bearings in some way?

  8. #908
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Yes, very east to check the bearings, but if you want to check all you will need to remove the crankset. All you need are some 4, 5 & 6 mm allen keys and whatever you need to remove your crankset. Have you checked to make sure that all the suspension bolts are snugged up properly and nothing else is loose? Checked QR skewers if you have them, seatpost clamp, saddle rails, headset, chainring bolts etc?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    My Prime has developed a terrible creaking. Any ideas if it might be the ks link? Can I check the bearings in some way?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  9. #909
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10
    Loving my prime so far, little room for improvements.. feels good even in the bikepark on the medium / big sized stuff
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339383" ><img src="http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/f/7z/6d/7z6dm0mxtplc/original_2013-03-3013_25_38.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339383" /></a>
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339391" ><img src="http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/f/c5/f1/c5f167nymxf7/original_2013-03-3013_27_57.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339391" /></a>
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339385" ><img src="http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/f/13/nr/13nr9za7vxs6/original_2013-03-3013_26_21.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339385" /></a>
    propably a pike would be nice to have

  10. #910
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Please make the pictures bigger.

  11. #911
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Yep the pike's are good.

    Quote Originally Posted by teatimetom View Post
    Loving my prime so far, little room for improvements.. feels good even in the bikepark on the medium / big sized stuff
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339383" ><img src="http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/f/7z/6d/7z6dm0mxtplc/original_2013-03-3013_25_38.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339383" /></a>
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339391" ><img src="http://fstatic3.mtb-news.de/f/c5/f1/c5f167nymxf7/original_2013-03-3013_27_57.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339391" /></a>
    <a href="http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/1339385" ><img src="http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/f/13/nr/13nr9za7vxs6/original_2013-03-3013_26_21.jpg?0" class="fotoalbumLikeable" data-photo-id="1339385" /></a>
    propably a pike would be nice to have
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  12. #912
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Creaking follow up; I was really getting fed up with the nasty creaking I had going on after my whistler trip. Pulled my pivots apart; alignment was perfect and all bearings felt good. replaced my pedal bushings, packed my BB full of grease, rebuilt rear hub & headset.

    In the end it was my seatpost! LOL.

    Did one of the bigger rides of the season saturday, 8hrs, 5500' up & down on fantastic singletrack, 5 alpine lakes, topped out at 8300'. The Prime was silent on the climb and so fun on the descents!


    _DSC5872 by emailsucks98, on Flickr


    _DSC5889 by emailsucks98, on Flickr


    _DSC5903 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

  13. #913
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Only asking because you've stated that with your gearing you do some pushing, how much of this did you pedal?

    Looks beautiful, by the way. I'd love to spend 8 hours in surroundings like that. Pushing, no doubt, even with my sissy granny gears, LOL. What kind of temperature?

  14. #914
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Only asking because you've stated that with your gearing you do some pushing, how much of this did you pedal?

    Looks beautiful, by the way. I'd love to spend 8 hours in surroundings like that. Pushing, no doubt, even with my sissy granny gears, LOL. What kind of temperature?
    This time around I was able to pedal most all the climb up to Cooney Lake, which was the first ~3200' vert. From there it was another ~700 up that is not rideable at all.
    The third climb on this ride is another ~1000' plus, pretty technical, I walked much of that too, maybe could have pedaled more with a granny but I save my energy for the DH.
    Temps were in the 70's which was nice, I've done this ride before on hot days and the heat and altitude can really be a killer.

    Did the same loop as an overnighter last year on my proto. Marmots!


    IMG_4512 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

  15. #915
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Very nice, FM. Funny about saving energy for the DH's, wouldn't think you'd need to, but I've had plenty that have worn me out.

    Sounds like you had an awesome ride.

  16. #916
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,870

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Very nice, FM. Funny about saving energy for the DH's, wouldn't think you'd need to, but I've had plenty that have worn me out.

    Sounds like you had an awesome ride.
    One ride I try to fit in every summer features a punishing series of downhills, after ~3,500 - 4,000 feet of climbing, depending on the approach. I posted some photos in Passion a week or so ago. Anyway, more to the point, last year one of the riders with us gasped "At least it's easy from here!" when he made it to the top. I really didn't mean to, but I laughed out loud.

  17. #917
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    definitely, my all time favorite trail, and really only accessible 8 weeks a year.
    I'm by no means super fit, I drink too much beer, but I do make a point of keeping fit enough to enjoy this ride every season. Keeps me going all winter!
    Hope to get out there again when the larches start to go gold...

  18. #918
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    75
    fair play FM that looks epic the old Seatpost creak is bloody annoying!
    How did the Pikes get on with the trip?

  19. #919
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by phat-ant View Post
    How did the Pikes get on with the trip?
    Loving the pike! Great mid stroke support with the LSC backed off, and plenty stiff too. Bike is riding great right now.

    Got a few other big rides coming up, I'll continue to share the stoke!

  20. #920
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Polished large finally ordered!!!!
    Cannot wait.

  21. #921
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Good on you, Looking forward to hearing what you think.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Polished large finally ordered!!!!
    Cannot wait.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  22. #922
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    389
    I had a creak/cracking sound, thought it was my F34's, didnt find it kept riding, now its gone.

    Go figure?

    This bike is quietest bike by far i've had, since i don't have chain slap anymore all i can hear is pretty much freewheel and some sounds from fork when oil is moving around on downhills, which is nice!
    Last edited by sakucee; 08-16-2013 at 04:21 AM.

  23. #923
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Sunday evening I discovered that I had somehow broken the axle sleeve inside my e*thirteen LG1+ rear hub. Today, a replacement upgrade kit arrived at my LBS. 5 full business days from contact initiation until repair parts received. This is probably the fastest customer support that I have ever received. Kudos to Charlie at the Hive, and to the Hive in general for promoting award winning customer service.

  24. #924
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Picked up my 150mm 51mm offset Pike today. Oh boy, oh boy!! 10 more millimeters of buttah!! Man, I spoil me.

  25. #925
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    21
    Out of curiosity...are there any recommendations which offset fork to run on the prime?
    any thoughts/experiences?
    An Ibis ripley is build around 51mm, the prime will accept both depending on riding style?
    Thx

    Gesendet von meinem U9200 mit Tapatalk 4

  26. #926
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    nomutze, it's probably all just a matter of opinion. If you look at the numbers, and trail calculations, there is a somewhat substantial difference between the 46 and 51 mm offsets. For those that really get into the numbers, the Prime is better suited to the 51mm. For the Neanderthals out there, myself at the top of the list, I don't feel that there much difference, you will adapt to however it handles. When I bought my 140mm Pike, I bought a 46mm because I didn't even know that there was a difference, my Prime accepted it amazingly. I've since bought a 150mm, and I got a 51mm, simply because the numbers guys out there said that it would be the best choice. I'll bet you $100 that I won't be able to tell the difference.

  27. #927
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Picked up my 150mm 51mm offset Pike today. Oh boy, oh boy!! 10 more millimeters of buttah!! Man, I spoil me.
    Haha and next year you buy the 160mm pike ?

  28. #928
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post
    Haha and next year you buy the 160mm pike ?
    Next year??? Next week!!!

  29. #929
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Putting the 140 on my Paradox, needed a new Prime fork.

  30. #930
    Missouri sucks...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by nomütze View Post
    Out of curiosity...are there any recommendations which offset fork to run on the prime?
    any thoughts/experiences?
    An Ibis ripley is build around 51mm, the prime will accept both depending on riding style?
    Thx
    I messaged Keith with that exact question and he said either or. He said handling between a 46mm and a 51mm offset would be nearly imperceptible. I already had a Fox 34, which is a 51mm offset, so I stuck with what I knew.

    It's interesting that all the newer forks are going with "G2" offsets. Hmmm... Maybe Fisher was on to something a decade ago???

  31. #931
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Got a few other big rides coming up, I'll continue to share the stoke!


    Smith Creek Epic (Mt St Helens)
    on the Prime with friends Saturday.
    Not the flowiest descent ever, but so cool to ride on an active volcano that blew 34 years ago. Mind blowing scenery, for sure!


    _DSC6092 by emailsucks98, on Flickr


    _DSC5992 by emailsucks98, on Flickr


    _DSC6015 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

  32. #932
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,870
    Really cool!

  33. #933
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Beautiful, FM. I have half a notion to drive up there so you can show me around.

  34. #934
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    1400 miles Phoenix to Mt St Helens. When does your riding season end?

  35. #935
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    We have pretty decent riding year round, but the longer epic stuff I've been posting about shuts down about mid-sept.
    Lots of great stuff near Wenatchee.
    I'm always stoked to host/guide, if not this year make it happen next year!

  36. #936
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    FM, I've got some vacation on the books, the next few days I'll be looking into the logistics of this. I haven't had a decent vacation in 4 years, I'm due.

  37. #937
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you must use CK Chris King I2 44/56 ZS Tapered Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    Fork wise, agree with MP on the X-Fusion TRACE, most definitely a much cheaper options compared to RS and Fox and definitely a nice fork for the $$.
    Will this work?

    Aest HS94 Steuersatz 1 1 8'' 1 1 2" Token KCNC FSA XLC Cane Creek Aerozine | eBay

    X-Fusion Trace on th eway along with Reverb.

  38. #938
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    According to the description, YES, that is the type of headset the production Prime uses 44/56 zero stack.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Will this work?

    Aest HS94 Steuersatz 1 1 8'' 1 1 2" Token KCNC FSA XLC Cane Creek Aerozine | eBay

    X-Fusion Trace on th eway along with Reverb.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  39. #939
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Cheers Lynx.
    More $ to spend elsewhere.
    Spokes and tyres to go.

  40. #940
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Competitions??
    Or something else.
    Being laced 3X between Hopes and i23's.

  41. #941
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Competitions??
    Or something else.
    Being laced 3X between Hopes and i23's.
    I tried some i23's, nice, but I ended up with Flow EX's for the little extra width, for my DHF. If you plan to stay 2.3 or under, the i23 will make for a very nice wheel. WTB is planning to release an i25, which would certainly pique my interest. Or the new Syntace offerings.

  42. #942
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    I think WTB has been talking about the i25 for some time but tnothing has happened with it.
    I am going with i23 over Flow mainly because it is a proper tubless ready option vs Stans.
    Why would you say to stick below a 2.3?
    I will be running HD's, Sturdy's or Ardent 2.4's.
    I run Hans Dampf front and Weirwolf rear on my i19's currently and have not had a problem.

    But I am reasonably light (for my height) at 83kg.

  43. #943
    Missouri sucks...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,306
    FM, you suck! I grew up in Portland(well, Vancouver, WA) and now I'm stuck in Kansas City. I wasn't into biking when I lived there but I hiked Mt. St. Helens several times with my girlfriend. SURREAL landscape! Have you seen the IMAX film at the Visitor's Center? By far, the craziest landscape I've ever set foot on. It would be awesome to ride it!

    Interesting tidbit for you non-Northwesterners: The Portland Metro area uses Mt. St. Helen's ash instead of road salt when ices and snows so the cars don't rust

  44. #944
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    I think WTB has been talking about the i25 for some time but tnothing has happened with it.
    I am going with i23 over Flow mainly because it is a proper tubless ready option vs Stans.
    Why would you say to stick below a 2.3?
    I will be running HD's, Sturdy's or Ardent 2.4's.
    I run Hans Dampf front and Weirwolf rear on my i19's currently and have not had a problem.

    But I am reasonably light (for my height) at 83kg.
    I'm just a fat rim kinda guy, but I personally think that 2.3 or wider should be on a wider rim. I don't doubt that you haven't had problems with your i19's, but if you rode a wider rim you would definitely notice improved handling and better tire feel. If you're building up 23's, you'll see what I mean. I have been riding 23 wides for a few years, then went wider still with the Flow's EX's went I went 2.5 on my front. Noticeable difference.

    I agree with your opinion of the WTB's. Not only are they proper tubeless, but they are also a very nice rim, a bit more material in the bead area than a Flow. If the i25's were available when I built my last wheelset, I would have used them instead of the Flow's.

  45. #945
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    I've got a chunky little Prime video down towards the bottom of this page.

    Hawg's Bike Thread, Vol. 3

  46. #946
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Dropper posts........discuss.
    Do I need one?
    Or just stick with the standard post?

  47. #947
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    PS.
    Lynx, I got some of the Sturdy's.
    I like them a lot.
    Similar size to the Hans Dampf but chiunkier and about half the price.

  48. #948
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Dropper posts........discuss.
    Do I need one?
    Or just stick with the standard post?
    Dropper posts are the best bang for your buck when it comes to ridding a bike like this well.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  49. #949
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Droppers are like microwave ovens and cell phones, you certainly don't need one, but once you start using one you'll never understand how you survived so long without one. Use mine all of the time, love the KS posts.

  50. #950
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Dropper posts........discuss.
    Do I need one?
    Or just stick with the standard post?
    Yes you need one.

    If you go without and then buy one, you'll kick yourself to head why you didn't get one sooner.

  51. #951
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Most definitely, for a bike like this, ridden on terrain that suits it. I never "needed" a dropper post before, I could ride a lot of very steep stuff, but it was always a bit sketchy with the saddle that high. Most of the times on group rides you had to be waiting on people on those sections anyhow, so if you needed to drop your saddle no worries, you had time, but these days since getting the Paradox and then Prime and then a dropper I realise how much of th flow I've been missing out on having to stop to raise the saddle if I needed to drop it instead of just raising up off the saddle and just popping it back up to pedal efficient height.

    Good to hear about the Sturdy's, I've gone the route of some On-One Smorgasbord and Chunk Monkey tyres and for $20 US roughly a pop on Maxxis casings, they're a killer deal. Sadly for some reason Shiggy design them both with fairly short side knobs, but the Monkey is def better than the SB in that regard, so now run SB r/CM f.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Dropper posts........discuss.
    Do I need one?
    Or just stick with the standard post?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  52. #952
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    167
    Anybody thinking of trading in your Prime for a Phantom, when it hits the streets??
    (Especially those, who don't have the most gnarliest of tracks in their backyard..)

  53. #953
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    NOPE But I am thinking of picking a Phantom for riding on our island on most of the trails and keep the Prime for when I travel overseas to ride or if we get more appropriate trails for the Prime Even if the Phantom proves to be the perfect bike for me I won't be getting rid of my Prime, it will be kept to remember how great it was to be part of the testing of it and the new KS link, maybe hung on the wall, but most likely it will stay built for the occasional rip or loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Kofoed View Post
    Anybody thinking of trading in your Prime for a Phantom, when it hits the streets??
    (Especially those, who don't have the most gnarliest of tracks in their backyard..)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  54. #954
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    I could see adding another bike, but I cannot imagine a better bike than my Prime.

  55. #955
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    167
    yeah, that was kinda my conclusion too - some how it makes sense to have both:-l
    Now, would someone please go and explain it to my wife..

  56. #956
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Easy, tell her (if you were one of the testers, don't know all) that it's a collectable, you won't get much if you sell it right away, you need to hold onto it for a bit until it garners some value
    Quote Originally Posted by Kofoed View Post
    yeah, that was kinda my conclusion too - some how it makes sense to have both:-l
    Now, would someone please go and explain it to my wife..
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  57. #957
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Easy, tell her (if you were one of the testers, don't know all) that it's a collectable, you won't get much if you sell it right away, you need to hold onto it for a bit until it garners some value
    Just find what works, My Wife has 3 carbon bikes & 1 Alloy & still thinks 1 have 2 many bike's

    I just tell her she didn't marry well.

    When I had my Race car shop there was always lot's of wife's around complaining about the cost, My Father was there 1 day And 1 of them was having a moan to him about it & his reply was, Well men seem to wont fast cars or fast woman, So while he is playing with the fast cars you should leave him alone.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  58. #958
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    OK dropper post ordered.
    I now have everything (except the frame fork and dropper post which are all coming from the same distributor.

    HURRY UP BANSHEE!!!
    If you get here by the weekend I have a ride planned for you.

  59. #959
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    OK dropper post ordered.
    I now have everything (except the frame fork and dropper post which are all coming from the same distributor.

    HURRY UP BANSHEE!!!
    If you get here by the weekend I have a ride planned for you.
    So what's your final build list ?
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  60. #960
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    So what's your final build list ?
    L polished frame
    X-Fusion fork
    Fox shock (but want to talk to the distributor about the X-fusion option there too
    Spank Spoon riser bar (blue)
    Funn Crossfire stem (polished)
    WTB Silverado saddle
    ESI Chunky grips
    XT M780(?) crankset and BB
    E13 G-Ring (blue) - 32t
    XT 10 M780 speed trigger shifter
    XT brakes with 160mm rear and 180mm front
    XT shadow+ 10 speed rear derailleur
    Generic blue headset I found on ebay
    Pink Hope hubs laced to WTB i23 rims (32h, 3x)
    Pink Purely Custom top cap and seatpost clamp with my logo and brand (as per my avatar and signature)
    Geax AKA rear and Sturdy front.
    Time ATAC pedals

    I think that is about it

  61. #961
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Cool

    A big change in bike for you, I hope you have heaps of fun on it.

    My friends & I are not planning on doing any races in the next 8 or so months, But are planning lots of fun trips away to do trails we have never seen before.

    It is cool to have a go anywhere bike for trips like that, Last trip we ended up having to climb up a few 15 ft banks with our bikes.

    It really felt like proper trail finding fun.


    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    L polished frame
    X-Fusion fork
    Fox shock (but want to talk to the distributor about the X-fusion option there too
    Spank Spoon riser bar (blue)
    Funn Crossfire stem (polished)
    WTB Silverado saddle
    ESI Chunky grips
    XT M780(?) crankset and BB
    E13 G-Ring (blue) - 32t
    XT 10 M780 speed trigger shifter
    XT brakes with 160mm rear and 180mm front
    XT shadow+ 10 speed rear derailleur
    Generic blue headset I found on ebay
    Pink Hope hubs laced to WTB i23 rims (32h, 3x)
    Pink Purely Custom top cap and seatpost clamp with my logo and brand (as per my avatar and signature)
    Geax AKA rear and Sturdy front.
    Time ATAC pedals

    I think that is about it
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  62. #962
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Yeah, agree with Muzz,Woah big change of bike for you Are you sure you can handle this much fun? Pics when she's done and agree on the X-Fusion shock instead of Fox - tell me you're looking at the Vector AIR HLR. By fork you do mean the TRACE, right? They have finally got the GSA into production, wonder if you'll get it on yours. You might find this link of interest X-Fusion?s Videos on Vimeo

    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    OK dropper post ordered.
    I now have everything (except the frame fork and dropper post which are all coming from the same distributor.

    HURRY UP BANSHEE!!!
    If you get here by the weekend I have a ride planned for you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  63. #963
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yeah, agree with Muzz,Woah big change of bike for you Are you sure you can handle this much fun? Pics when she's done and agree on the X-Fusion shock instead of Fox - tell me you're looking at the Vector AIR HLR. By fork you do mean the TRACE, right? They have finally got the GSA into production, wonder if you'll get it on yours. You might find this link of interest X-Fusion?s Videos on Vimeo
    Yes, Trace.
    Will get onto Stu regarding the HLR.
    Not sure whether I will have more fun or just more smooth.

  64. #964
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Well honestly, compared to what you've ben riding, it's going to feel VERY spoingy like one of them old Cadilacs, but once you get used to that it'll be fine. What you do have to watch out for is the very disheartening trait of the Prime to make you feel like Super Man Seriously, when you first point it down something super steep and knarly and trust it, you just won't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Yes, Trace.
    Will get onto Stu regarding the HLR.
    Not sure whether I will have more fun or just more smooth.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  65. #965
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well honestly, compared to what you've ben riding, it's going to feel VERY spoingy like one of them old Cadilacs, but once you get used to that it'll be fine. What you do have to watch out for is the very disheartening trait of the Prime to make you feel like Super Man Seriously, when you first point it down something super steep and knarly and trust it, you just won't believe it.
    There is Nothing like stopping at the end of a trail & shaking your head & thinking, How the Hell did I get away with that.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  66. #966
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Sounds like a really nice build, TR. You're gonna love it. I don't think that I've heard a bad report on a Prime yet.

  67. #967
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    There is Nothing like stopping at the end of a trail & shaking your head & thinking, How the Hell did I get away with that.
    It becomes kind of common place on a Prime.

  68. #968
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    There is Nothing like stopping at the end of a trail & shaking your head & thinking, How the Hell did I get away with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    It becomes kind of common place on a Prime.
    Haha so true!

    Exactly what I was thinking while taking this picture


    _DSC5149 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

  69. #969
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Haha so true!

    Exactly what I was thinking while taking this picture


    _DSC5149 by emailsucks98, on Flickr
    Yes I really should stop & take more photo's, But when you having so much fun it's hard to stop.

    Time to get out the Go Pro again.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  70. #970
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Problem with pictures and videos, they just don't do the gnar justice. There's nothing quite like that good old sphincter tightening you get when you're actually looking over the handlebars with full depth perception.

  71. #971
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Problem with pictures and videos, they just don't do the gnar justice. There's nothing quite like that good old sphincter tightening you get when you're actually looking over the handlebars with full depth perception.
    That is going to be my excuse when I post pictures in the future.

  72. #972
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    That is going to be my excuse when I post pictures in the future.
    Yes good tires & good brakes are a must.

    I have a friend that says he almost crashes some times, Looking & laughing at some of the brake lockup marks were I have really had to throw the bike into the corner & hope.

    With a Go Pro having a chest mount & not a helmet mount really helps to make the trail more real.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  73. #973
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    My Drift isn't a convenient chest mount, helmet is a breeze, goofed around a bit with a frame mount but had trouble keeping it out of the way.

  74. #974
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Haha so true!

    Exactly what I was thinking while taking this picture


    _DSC5149 by emailsucks98, on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Problem with pictures and videos, they just don't do the gnar justice. There's nothing quite like that good old sphincter tightening you get when you're actually looking over the handlebars with full depth perception.
    This picture doesn't do this line justice.
    You can't see the bridge from the very top of this line until just before you roll onto it and then the lower half of the bridge still isn't visible once you're on it. And then there's a sweet tight bowl-like berm at the exit of the bridge that, if you dial it perfectly, shoots you up and over the short steep rise on the trail.
    I still haven't figured out how to capture the steepness of this line with a camera.

    Looking at this pic has just made me decide to ride this trail this afternoon!
    Thank you, FM!


    Speaking of pictures, I'd love to see more pics of the Prime in this thread. Whether it be the regular bike pr0n or action/riding shots.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again this thread does NOT deliver at all with pictures! I need my stoke to be kept high as to keep my savings plan in gear for my hopeful purchase next Spring of my Prime!

  75. #975
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    This picture doesn't do this line justice.
    You can't see the bridge from the very top of this line until just before you roll onto it and then the lower half of the bridge still isn't visible once you're on it.
    Looking at this pic has just made me decide to ride this trail this afternoon!
    Thank you, FM!
    Oh man am I jealous!

    Good description- Not the biggest move but I rode it solo & blind the first time and that was really a thrill. Sort of "What did I get myself into? Too late to back out now!"

  76. #976
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Props man, riding anything you're not 100% about it, solo takes cahones. Thing is sometimes you say to yourself when you start the trail "I won't ride that feature because no one's with me if it goes wrong", but sometimes, if you're lucky you just get into a groove and when the you approach the feature you just roll/rode it smooth as ever, no hesitation or bad thoughts and then you're like, "Man, can't believe I was thinking of not riding that".

    I'd post some pics, but seems that the folks behind the web side of the site STILL can't get the $hit together and figure out what they fvcked up to stop it from working
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Oh man am I jealous!

    Good description- Not the biggest move but I rode it solo & blind the first time and that was really a thrill. Sort of "What did I get myself into? Too late to back out now!"
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  77. #977
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Props man, riding anything you're not 100% about it, solo takes cahones. Thing is sometimes you say to yourself when you start the trail "I won't ride that feature because no one's with me if it goes wrong", but sometimes, if you're lucky you just get into a groove and when the you approach the feature you just roll/rode it smooth as ever, no hesitation or bad thoughts and then you're like, "Man, can't believe I was thinking of not riding that".

    I'd post some pics, but seems that the folks behind the web side of the site STILL can't get the $hit together and figure out what they fvcked up to stop it from working
    I had been posting pic's just fine & then I couldn't for along time.

    So with some playing around I found the way I had been doing it no longer works & now I have to do it this way.

    Under the reply box I go to,
    Up Load Images,

    Then Add files

    Then Basic Up loader

    Then up load files,

    & then Done.

    It is working for me now.

    I used to just use basic up loader & it worked fine & now it doesn't work that way.

    Now I can't see my old photo's but can see my new ones.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  78. #978
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,887

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread

    Already posted in the 29er forum, but I figure I should post in the official thread as well if I want to join the Prime club.

    My new ride:




  79. #979
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,948
    Hot!

  80. #980
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    Sweet looking Prime. Is that a niner bar? Eweeeeeeee, change that front tyre like, ASAP, put on a Prg instead if you're a Special guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Already posted in the 29er forum, but I figure I should post in the official thread as well if I want to join the Prime club.

    My new ride:

    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  81. #981
    on a routine expedition
    Reputation: Marshall Willanholly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Speaking of pictures, I'd love to see more pics of the Prime in this thread. Whether it be the regular bike pr0n or action/riding shots.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again this thread does NOT deliver at all with pictures! I need my stoke to be kept high as to keep my savings plan in gear for my hopeful purchase next Spring of my Prime!
    My Prime on Cloverpatch in Oakridge, OR.


    At last weekend's Capitol Forest Enduro

  82. #982
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    167
    Nice!

  83. #983
    Bnerd
    Reputation: RideEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    703
    Sweet!!
    Thanks for that!
    Hopefully you'll get the ball rolling with picture posts again.

  84. #984
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    167
    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0328.jpg
    soon to updated with Zee rear shifter and wolf tooth..

  85. #985
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Fresh from the weekend, before I threw it down on the granite and scratched the shyt out of the top tube.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-img_0537.jpg

  86. #986
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Fresh from the weekend, before I threw it down on the granite and scratched the shyt out of the top tube.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	832745
    I cover my frames with 3M stone guard everywhere before I build them up, It does a very good job of keeping the frame mint.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  87. #987
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Little quick rocky drop. Turn your volume down, lots of static.

    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x8Qydt8sPos?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  88. #988
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,325
    Nice!

    Last schralps of summer here....


    _DSC6971 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

  89. #989
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    You guys are KILLING me.
    Still waiting on the call to say that mine is here.
    Hurry up Aussie Customs Service!!!!

  90. #990
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    TR, you're gonna love it, the Prime eats this stuff up!

  91. #991
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    TR, you're gonna love it, the Prime eats this stuff up!
    I have no doubt I will love it.
    I am just impatient is all.

  92. #992
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Being "patient".

  93. #993
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Being "patient".
    Just use the time to plan trips to hard out trails.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  94. #994
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Or, practice manualling out in your front yard. Sure, the neighbors will think you look silly, manualling with out a bike could seem a bit odd. But think of the head start you'll have for when you actually get your bike built, and you'll be glad that you practiced when you come upon that first trail obstacle.

  95. #995
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Here we go.

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-1234631_10151702229068717_1326441566_n.jpg

  96. #996
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,568
    Oooohhhhh!!!!

  97. #997
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    21,279
    TR, hope we're not seeing completed build pics because you've already finished and are out on the trails having a blast Expect a ride report and fulls pics. Damn curious what you think compared to those "efficient" race bikes you've been riding in the past
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  98. #998
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    Sadly nowhere near finished for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly there is a lot of stuff I have not used before (dropper post, i-spec). Secondly the i-spec shifter I bought is not compatible with the brake. Third my wheels won't be finished until mid week.
    I am perhaps 2/3 finished otherwise.

  99. #999
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Sadly nowhere near finished for a couple of reasons.
    Firstly there is a lot of stuff I have not used before (dropper post, i-spec). Secondly the i-spec shifter I bought is not compatible with the brake. Third my wheels won't be finished until mid week.
    I am perhaps 2/3 finished otherwise.
    It is always hard when you are waiting on someone else.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  100. #1000
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,885
    I have gotten this far:

    Production Prime Photo/Build thread-1187050_10151702583118717_227839943_n.jpg

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast