MTB B'dos

... and if we just ... PRIME'd and ready

It's been a long wait, but I can most re-assuredly say that it was well worth the wait

Received it Thursday afternoon and had it all built up by evening and test rode it around the neighborhood, it felt very nice, very familiar to be honest, despite having a wheelbase 3"> greater than my Paradox. It came set in the "slack" setting and that's what IO first tooled around in, but then I decided I'd prefer the "steep" setting and have been ridng it like that since.

BB height is over 1.5" higher, chainstays measure 17.6",so longer than the Paradox and despite that and the much longer wheelbase it's as nimble as the Paradox, actually feels a bit more responsive to be honest and that's with the exact same 80mm stem and 750mm wide bars. Have thrown on a 60mm a friend had to just give that a go, but I think it's a bit short, but need to get a proper ride in to test it, thinking a 70mm will be perfect.

Put these pics and quick thoughts up so I'll have somewhere to come back and update and so you can see just how sweet the Prime really is.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    v. nice.
    Are you waiting for a chainguide to finish?

MTB B'dos
    Nope, just an FD. I've run this 2x setup for years, on the Paradox for the last 1.5 and before that on an FS for about 1.5 years and I've never used a chain guide, just the FD and have never had the chain jump off. Heck the bash is a recent addition, never even ran one of them before now. I don't, or should I say haven't in the past been a jump kind of guy, but I like the big, chunky stuff and seriously no issues, we'll see if that changes now with the Prime since the couple little humps I hit yesterday sure felt very nice and stable, maybe I'll start to hit some real jumps/drops in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    v. nice.
    Are you waiting for a chainguide to finish?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the primes i've seen so far have been punching towards mid 30's lbs, have you got yours on a scale yet?

MTB B'dos
    Nope, not yet, but to be honest I'm very surprised at how heavy it doesn't feel built. I say that as when I had the frame only and was trying to hold it up to take pics it felt really heavy and reports are the frames are around 9lbs, which compared to my Paradox at around 5lbs is a lot of difference, but to be quite honest once I got it built up it just doesn't seem to feel that heavy and I can't think that's the fault of missing the FD and FD shifter/cable. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's under 31lbs, might even guess <30lbs, will try to get it weighed this week.

the primes i've seen so far have been punching towards mid 30's lbs, have you got yours on a scale yet?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Alright LyNx, I can't believe that your thread has gone 2 weeks without a post. Being as I also have a Paradox, I am really watching for your comparisons. I have every intention of building a Prime when they go into production, but I am still curious. I rode my 7" 26er in some very tech Arizona chunk Saturday, then rode the same exact route Sunday on my Paradox. In almost every area, I would have to say that I felt more sure on the Paradox, although the full suspension on my 26er definitely made for a more comfortable ride. As far as I am concerned, the Prime is the answer.

MTB B'dos
    OK, forgot to get back to this thread, weighed the bike and it came in at 33lbs 10oz as built, guessing it'll just top 34lbs when I install the front shifter and FD.
    Sorry Stumpy, also started a thread in the 29er and as I suspected it got a lot more views and comments, have been updating that thread - 3k> views and 39 comments as opposed to under 400 here and 6 replies . So the gist of it is this....I'm very happy with the Prime, all the worries I had about going with my known ETT and the XL, having a wheelbase3"+ than my Paradox etc were all un-founded and wrong, the bike handles superbly. I can hardly notice a difference between it and the P'dox in terms of how quick/nimble it is (I actually feel it handles better in this like), can notice a load of difference when I start to descend and more so climb - straight out out-climbs the P'dox.

Now I expected the Prime to out perform the P'dox on the descents, what with being an FS and having more travel and all, but I honestly didn't think it'd also kill it on the ascents like it does. Since I got the P'dox I've constantly cleared climbs I never could before and some steep ones, but it's taken some work with the P'dox, but I hit up some of those climbs on the Prime and it was just so much easier, didn't have to fight to keep the front planted or traction on the rear, just sat about mid way to little forward on the saddle and just motored on up easily negotiating all the little obstacles etc.

Another great thing is that as Keith said, it has more than enough room for 2.4" Ardents on Flows to deal with some mud, only downside as with all mini links is you might have to watch the debris build up there - dry season here, so no crap to test it in yet.

One other thing, so far the guesstimate for weight dropped from pre-production to production on the frames is about 1.5lbs so they'll sit just above 8lbs, instead of the current 9lbs 10oz the XLs weigh. I can honestly say though that I only really feel the extra weight when I'm climbing in the 36t and really grinding it out, most likely because I started to sit and spin more when climbing on the Paradox, plus my easiest gear combo in the "big" ring is 36-32

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    Alright LyNx, I can't believe that your thread has gone 2 weeks without a post. Being as I also have a Paradox, I am really watching for your comparisons. I have every intention of building a Prime when they go into production, but I am still curious. I rode my 7" 26er in some very tech Arizona chunk Saturday, then rode the same exact route Sunday on my Paradox. In almost every area, I would have to say that I felt more sure on the Paradox, although the full suspension on my 26er definitely made for a more comfortable ride. As far as I am concerned, the Prime is the answer.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thanks LyNx. I also frequent the 29er board, I must have somehow missed your thread. I'm waiting as patiently as possible for production.