Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Prime Shock - CCDB or CCDB CS?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  swildnm 
#1 · (Edited)
I finished my Prime build a few weeks ago, And so far the only thing I am dissatisfied with is the shock. I bought a used frame here on the forum, and It included a RS Monarch plus RC3. Which isn't bad, when I can keep it doing what I want it to do. The problem I'm running into is that because the compression switch is on the side of the shock, I'm constantly flipping it to the wrong position. (With my knee I guess?) Also when I decided to build a Prime a CCDB was on my short list of things I wanted.

My question for CCDB/Prime riders is: Should I hold out for a month and pay the extra money for a CCDB CS, or do you feel no need for a climb switch? I'm on the fence about it, I think I might like the versatility and having the option there if I do want it, but I also like the idea of tuning my shock properly and not screwing with it at all while I'm on the trail.

Opinions?

#2 ·
I leave my Float CTD in the wide open Descend mode 100% of the time because I like the plush, smooth tracking suspension action. It pedals extremely well even in Descend but I'm not a stand and mash style rider. The intention of the bike is not ultimate pedaling efficiency and I knew that going into it but I never in a million years would have thought it would pedal as well as it does! I don't see a need for the CS feature, but then again, you might as well buy the top of the line shock if you're dropping that kind of coin. Resale will be better and options are never bad. If I went to some serious climbing trails, it is nice to know I have a Climb mode if needed:)

#3 ·
I'm completely satisfied with my CCDBair without the CS feature. I'll drop $1K in the blink of an eye if I think that there is something shinier out there. The fact that I haven't even considered the new DBair CS would indicate that IMO, there is no need for a climb setting on the Prime.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. Since its only $50 more I've decided to try to order a CCDBA CS. I'll have climb as an option, but I may never need it. I kind of like the fact that I don't need the special wrench too. If I can't get the CS before the end of September I'll just get the CCDBA, going to Moab in October and want to have it, and have time to tune it before hand.

#7 ·
So I got my CCDBA CS and rode it for the first time yesterday. The difference between the DB and the Monarch is night and day. The DB is so much plusher, more controlled, and better in every way. Except for weight I guess, my Prime is now 32.6 lbs, up from 31.9 lbs with the Monarch. I'm glad I decided to hold out for the CS, climbing on it feels solid and efficient, while still remaining active. Additionally it allows me to tune the LSC and LSR to better suite my normal riding, and not have to worry about compromising for climbing efficiency.
The icing on the cake was that my LBS sold me the shock for well below retail.
If anybody else is on the fence about this I highly recommend this shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.