Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Must say in the 17-18years I've been riding bikes, I've never removed or fitted a wheel without flipping it onto the bars/saddle... The 142mm drop out thing is irritating only because of the alignment issues (IMO). I've used so many DH bikes with bolt through rears and none of them had grooves to aid wheel fitment and it was never an issue.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky221 View Post
    Must say in the 17-18years I've been riding bikes, I've never removed or fitted a wheel without flipping it onto the bars/saddle... The 142mm drop out thing is irritating only because of the alignment issues (IMO). I've used so many DH bikes with bolt through rears and none of them had grooves to aid wheel fitment and it was never an issue.
    I change normal QR wheel without flipping the bike upside down. About the DH bikes, it might have not been an issue for you, but they released the 157mm width to be the cousin to 142mm, making wheel install easier on the DH bikes.

For me, who has the need to remove the wheels before and after each ride, the ease of wheel install is a problem, for others, it is not.

Heck, had I known about this I would've ordered the 135x10 dropouts instead. For others, who probably don't need to do this, and want to change wheelsizes/whatever, the alignment for rotor and derailleur are the bigger concerns.

The groove for wheel install and spacing the disk side are an easy fix (at least the disc side groove, I'll check about the deraileur hanger side when I get home to see if it might be changed so one can get the groove to aid the wheel install).

Maybe just changing the derailleur hanger and the left dropout solves all problems, meaning there would be no need to change the forged right dropout.
    Heck, I guess with one groove, the wheel should be guided enough, so even only a improved derailleur hanger might be the ticket. It still doesn't solve the rotor alignment, but that is solved with shims. Even those who are changing dropouts and whatnot, can glue the necessary shims to the dropout itself (I know it is not ideal, but it should be much cheaper than making a new forging. It seems the slots in the brake callipers are allowing some to use less than the 3,5mm of shims. Anyway, it seems the requirement to be able to change from any dropout sizes, would require the shimming by 3,5mm to avoid touching the calliper alignment afterwards.

So, to round it up, a improved derailleur hanger and some factory shimmed left dropout might be the cheapest way to make everyone happy. (A trade 1 for 1 in the left dropouts would be top notch, like, Banshee sending the distributors a few of the shimmed ones, we give our regular ones back, so that they can be fixed and used afterwards.
    The main thing about my DIY shim gluing would be a screwed up alignment, not having the shimmed faced with the rotor, meaning I'd end up with the rotor scrubbing the pads. I guess most shops would have the tools to do that, so epoxy-ing a 4mm shim, and then facing it so that the total width of epoxy and aluminium shim are 3,5mm, would make it work like it should).

Just my thoughts, if you disagree, please explain why.
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Re do them and do it correctly is the right thing to do IMO. Maybe Keith should take a poll. If you have the choice as a customer what are you gonna choose if you had the choice between current drops or a revised set? I'd put my money on the revised set. Sh*it like this just bugs me and I don't even have a frame yet (and wont till I can sell some bikes) and I also have a Hadley hubs that will work all 3 ways. Bikes are so new, get it done now and done right so this BS doesn't keep getting dragged out.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I sent in drawings a few months ago to modify forgings for 2014. I've taken on board all your opinions.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I sent in drawings a few months ago to modify forgings for 2014. I've taken on board all your opinions.
    Thank You!! A few months ago....you must have anticipated this was gonna be a controversial subject? Will a completely new hanger be needed or an existing one?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There will be a new hanger for those that need it.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos
    This thread was started over 2 months ago and Banshee listen to what their customers have to say. I'm guessing with all the responses in the first few days Keith saw the trend and dealt with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Thank You!! A few months ago....you must have anticipated this was gonna be a controversial subject? Will a completely new hanger be needed or an existing one?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Dear Keith, thank you for listening to both Sides of the Coin - I think we all of the Banshee-Rider-Family appreciate this a lot!
    Plus it makes all the new KS-Link Bikes Perfect in every Aspect and beyond any Doubt.

But hey - inner Brake/Derailleur Spacing 135 mm? Relief it or not?

Many Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Great news! Thank you for you're proactive response!

PS. I love my Prime...regardless

mtbr member

Re: Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers

Hi everyone, I found in my drop outs kit for x12 two washers of 3.5mm each so here is the solution for the brake adapter, here some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers-uploadfromtaptalk1363615765009.jpg  

Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers-uploadfromtaptalk1363615787882.jpg  

Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers-uploadfromtaptalk1363615807983.jpg  

Hard funkinī Kraut
    These Washers must be new added to the Dropout-Kits. Those who received the first Batches of Frames and Dropouts (142x12) didnīt have them included. But anyway - my Shimming works for both 26 and 650B, but going to buy the new ones when theyīre available. Hopefully there is a kind of Trade-in at Cost/Upcharge for the old ones to get the new reviesed ones ...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In my package there where none included.
    Wondering if we need new (longer) screws for the brake adapter aswell or are the old ones ok and can resists die brake force?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice, Keith! It's awesome to see how close you are to your customers!

I'd love to see such news on the banshee blog! It's always been great to follow your thoughts and ideas there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post
    In my package there where none included.
    Wondering if we need new (longer) screws for the brake adapter aswell or are the old ones ok and can resists die brake force?
    The ones we installed are plenty long enough

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Slotted dropouts 142X12 is a minute detail, but man it saves a lot of headache. It just does. Nice to see they are in the makings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is non issue with SRAM Type-2's tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any idea when the new dropout will be available?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    dear keith,

is it normal to have a slight play between the axle and the drop out hole on the non drive side? mine is a 150x12 drop out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyfive View Post
    Any idea when the new dropout will be available?
    Just got an email from Banshee that the new drops will be available in August. A discount will be available for those who's drops are off by 3mm. Didn't say how much.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just got an email from Banshee that the new drops will be available in August. A discount will be available for those who's drops are off by 3mm. Didn't say how much.
    what you mean with drops are off by 3mm, that you need the washer or?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkey View Post
    what you mean with drops are off by 3mm, that you need the washer or?
    Please go through the thread and look at the above pics. Short version...yes 3mm off, no reliefs, people complained, Banshee listened and redesigned them for the 2014 bikes

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Please go through the thread and look at the above pics. Short version...yes 3mm off, no reliefs, people complained, Banshee listened and redesigned them for the 2014 bikes
    Yep - this!
    Not shure if I should buy both again (142x12 26 and 650B), but the new 26ers would be nice to have while they fit 2.25er 650Bs with enough Clearance. Think over it when I can see some Pictures of the new ones, because it works as it is ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Old dropouts also create problem with XX1.

The derailleur is so far out that low limit screw starts to limit off high limit.

So you need to make your 42t or 11t work like ****

Of course i could try to lathe 1-2mm off the mech hanger... hmm..

mtbr member
    Thanks for considering everyone's feedback. This is what makes Banshee and awesome bike company!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    Of course i could try to lathe 1-2mm off the mech hanger... hmm..
    I had to do this on my der hanger for my Sram X9 Type 2 in order to shift into my biggest cog. The limit screw bas backed all the way out too leaving me with no other choice. It now works fine and dandy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast