Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    To bad their 142+ hubs are prone to self destructing. Many threads about that problem.
    +1 on that, their hubs are garbage.
    Plus the spacing between the dropouts should be the same as 142's, the extra 7mm's comes in in the recessed area so the width of the flanges should be the same regardless. Some manufacturers flanges are just wider than others...

Strange that Banshee didn't recess the 142's though, doesn't make sense to me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Maybe a picture can save me a thousand words

JNC, love to see a picture of the drop-outs... definitely fishy if they aren't recessed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I made the descisoon not to recess the dropouts for a few reasons.

#1 It would have meant increasing the mold size for the forging, which would have meant increasing the price of the dropouts to the customer by a minimum of $20 (likely a bit more once import tax, dealer and distributor margins etc are added on).

#2 I actually find the wheel is easier to put in place without the recess as you can slide it in forward of the derailleur (making most of large tire clearance) and then pull back into location.... the brake caliper will help you keep it vertically aligned anyway.

#3 I've never had any issue mounting a wheel on my DH bike, or proto KS bikes that made me ever feel the need for an extra 'cup' of material to justify the extra weight and cost.

If it turns out that our customers decide that this is something they really want, then I'll listen and change the mold and pricing, but I suspect most will see beyond the marketing and realize that putting the wheel in place is easy without the recess.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I made the descisoon not to recess the dropouts for a few reasons.

#1 It would have meant increasing the mold size for the forging, which would have meant increasing the price of the dropouts to the customer by a minimum of $20 (likely a bit more once import tax, dealer and distributor margins etc are added on).

#2 I actually find the wheel is easier to put in place without the recess as you can slide it in forward of the derailleur (making most of large tire clearance) and then pull back into location.... the brake caliper will help you keep it vertically aligned anyway.

#3 I've never had any issue mounting a wheel on my DH bike, or proto KS bikes that made me ever feel the need for an extra 'cup' of material to justify the extra weight and cost.

If it turns out that our customers decide that this is something they really want, then I'll listen and change the mold and pricing, but I suspect most will see beyond the marketing and realize that putting the wheel in place is easy without the recess.
    The ease of installation is really not a huge deal for me, tho it would be a benefit. However, the fact that these drops essentially move the hanger & IS mounts 3.5mm outboard is a big deal to me. The only reason I bought the drops was to give me the option of running a lighter "trail" set of wheels, as well as a burlier set of wheels setup with the 150 hub/drops. At this point I think I would prefer to run the lighter wheelset with the 135mm drops, since it easily allows me to swap wheels without having to re-tune the der. as well as mess with the caliper alignment.

I am sure folks can successfully get a der. to shift fine if they stick with one rear wheel, as well as space the caliper inboard with shims, but I might swap wheels a couple times a week and it's just not worth the hassle imho.

FM...here is a pic of the drops, sans hanger. This is the inside of each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wheel installation is not an issue here either but having to shim the caliper adaptor by 3.5mm really is a huge turn off. Banshee´s answer makes sense though the caliper mounting issue isnt explained, judging form the dropout structure i dont see why not atleast the IS adaptor tab surface could be +3.5mm offest/inboard. Banshee?

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can't we machine the 135mm dropouts 3,5mm to make the channels and keep using the 142mm hub?

Maybe create not a groove, but an area that allows the wheel to come from either downward or forward.

Like, remove 3,5mm form the orange area:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Can't we machine the 135mm dropouts 3,5mm to make the channels and keep using the 142mm hub?

Maybe create not a groove, but an area that allows the wheel to come from either downward or forward.

Like, remove 3,5mm form the orange area:

No, the spacing between drops is already 142mm...you would need a longer axle to do what you're suggesting.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I meant to machine the 135mm dropouts, but now I have seen they are 135x10...

I thought that 142 was supposed to be just like 135mm in terms of disc calliper and rear dérailleur, and those 3,5mm grooves to easy with wheel install...

Kinda wishing I had ordered another size of dropouts, I find the grooves to help with wheel install (having an old marzo 66 and a fox 36, the grooves in the fox 36 really help... In the Marzo you need to either have a 2nd person helping you, have it on a stand, or flip the bike upside down). One cannot lift the frame, hold the wheel and insert the axle at the same time. The grooves should enable the wheel to rest in the correct position

mtbr member
    I thought that 142 was supposed to be just like 135mm in terms of disc calliper and rear dérailleur, and those 3,5mm grooves to easy with wheel install...
    Yes, exactly right

Kinda wishing I had ordered another size of dropouts, I find the grooves to help with wheel install (having an old marzo 66 and a fox 36, the grooves in the fox 36 really help... In the Marzo you need to either have a 2nd person helping you, have it on a stand, or flip the bike upside down). One cannot lift the frame, hold the wheel and insert the axle at the same time. The grooves should enable the wheel to rest in the correct position
    I agree, the one benefit of the QR15 standard for forks is the ease of install compared to 20mm. It seems Banshee designed a set of dropouts that accomodate a 142mm axle, however it should not be associated with the current industry standard for 142x12 since the der./caliper mounts are in different locations.

I have no doubt folks can setup their bikes to make it work, but as I stated previously, disappointing for anyone wanting to run more than one type of rear wheel axle.
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 12-23-2012 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmm, I have the standard 135mmX10mm dropouts for the 26" wheels, but ordered the 142mmX12mm dropouts for the 650b wheels. If I have to screw with caliper spacers and cable adjustments every time I switch, I'll never bother switching. Actually, spacing the calipers is no big deal, since I could just glue a shim to the dropout, but cable adjustments leave kinks that affect performance and cable life. I wonder if it's possible to shim the hanger...

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I guess you can do it, maybe not with round shims, they might need some cutting, and even then, there is a tab on the derailleur, that usually hits the hanger, The shims need the derailleur to hit the tab.

I would gladly pay 20$ more for 142 dropouts that really mimic the 135 in terms of caliper and derailleur spacing, and make not a groove, but a recessed area in the shape from my pic (or something similar that allows the wheel to come from below and front, and we slide it up and back and it notches in place). Just an idea, but I'd really like to see that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by belljeffw View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to shim the hanger...
    Not inboard, also the axle sits flush against the hanger...soo it wouldn't be possible without a hanger redesign.

mtbr member
    I would gladly pay 20$ more for 142 dropouts that really mimic the 135 in terms of caliper and derailleur spacing...
    ...as would I.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    ...as would I.
    X3... or whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by g_g View Post
    i would gladly pay 20$ more for 142 dropouts that really mimic the 135 in terms of caliper and derailleur spacing...
    x4...

mtbr member
    I am considering a 650b Spitty for the Missus to replace her Sultan...anyone know what axle formats the 650b drops are available in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not inboard, also the axle sits flush against the hanger...soo it wouldn't be possible without a hanger redesign.
    Oh yea, good point. In theory I could make a hanger, but that would be pushing my meager machining skills to the limit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am considering a 650b Spitty for the Missus to replace her Sultan...anyone know what axle formats the 650b drops are available in?
    So far, ONLY 142X12, at least for the Rune.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by belljeffw View Post
    So far, ONLY 142X12, at least for the Rune.
    That's what I was afraid of...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I may make my own 135X10 for the 650b. They look pretty easy to make, even on my little mill. I wonder if Keith would part with the CAD drawings...

on a routine expedition
    I would gladly pay 20$ more for 142 dropouts that really mimic the 135 in terms of caliper and derailleur spacing.

Me too.
    Last edited by Marshall Willanholly; 12-23-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Prime
    I know that you guys are concerned more with the 142mm drop outs, but I just installed my 150's Friday with no problems. Slight barrel adjust up on my shifter, loosen and re-center of my caliper. 150mm e*thirteen LG1+ made a heck of a difference over a 135mm DT Swiss 240s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I know that you guys are concerned more with the 142mm drop outs, but I just installed my 150's Friday with no problems. Slight barrel adjust up on my shifter, loosen and re-center of my caliper. 150mm e*thirteen LG1+ made a heck of a difference over a 135mm DT Swiss 240s.
    Coming from 135 or 142? I have no necessary adjustments going from 135 to 150...or back.

Agreed, the 150mm rear is a big upgrade in stiffness!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where did you guys get your 150mm drops?

Also is the Prime "yellow" the same as the new Rune? If so, I might have to go all crazy with a yellow one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Where did you guys get your 150mm drops?
    I got mine from CHAD.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast