Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141

    Prime and Hammerschmidt?

    Anyone running a Hammerschmidt on their Prime?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,004
    I am running one on mine and I can't say anything but good things about the combo. I don't notice any additional bob as opposed to my prior WFO.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141
    I acquired another Hammerschmidt AM but not the medium Prime frame yet (hopefully in August).

    I would love to hear your comparison of the Prime and WFO (since I still have mine).

    Just wondered how slack your WFO was...

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    The Mountain Bike Life
    Reputation: mudpuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,327
    I asked Keith about this combo and he was not recommending it...for any fully really. Would love to hear some real world feedback.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    The system should work, but I personally wouldn't ride the combo due to the pedal kickback issues that come with riding DH stuff in granny rings. The Prime is designed to work with smaller chainrings by having less antisquat, so pedal kickback will be less on the prime than say the rune or spitfire, but it will still be there.

    Plus the fact that my experience on a hammerschmidt was not a good one (heavy with lots of resistance). I'd never recommend anything I wouldn't be happy to run myself, hence my previous statements.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141
    I guess you either love the Hammy or you hate it...

    What smaller chainrings do you recommend?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    I don't recommend small granny rings for full suspension bikes... this is one reason that 2x10 was created. If hammerschmidt was redesigned to work around a 34 tooth chainring size it would work better with frames, but it would add weight, so that is why they didn't do it. If you do want to run hammerschmidt then that's up to you, but I would recommend going for the larger 24 tooth option for better compatibility with the linkage.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikesinmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,139
    Sounds like the XX1 would be a perfect drivetrain for the prime.

  9. #9
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,760
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    Sounds like the XX1 would be a perfect drivetrain for the prime.
    For sure, but there's really no reason to wait for the big S's to deliver a viable 1x solution for top $$.

    I'm running 1x9 with a 30t front, 12-36 rear...Andersen machine works front ring, the 36t rear is an add-on cog you can buy off eBay. My second season running this set up (on 2 different bikes) and it works awesome. Cheap, light, reliable, great chainline, and chains with removable, resuable masterlinks. The 30x36 gear is easy enough for big climbing days, once you get accustomed to it. I can pedal at a walking speed.... no desire to pedal slower than that

    The new canfield set-up looks really good too-
    imagine a 9-36 casette with a 28t front ring. I'd go that route if I needed new stuff.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    For sure, but there's really no reason to wait for the big S's to deliver a viable 1x solution for top $$.

    I'm running 1x9 with a 30t front, 12-36 rear...Andersen machine works front ring, the 36t rear is an add-on cog you can buy off eBay. My second season running this set up (on 2 different bikes) and it works awesome. Cheap, light, reliable, great chainline, and chains with removable, resuable masterlinks. The 30x36 gear is easy enough for big climbing days, once you get accustomed to it. I can pedal at a walking speed.... no desire to pedal slower than that

    The new canfield set-up looks really good too-
    imagine a 9-36 casette with a 28t front ring. I'd go that route if I needed new stuff.
    36 Tooth Cog for Mountain Bike Cassette, 36t Sprocket | eBay

    Good to know, although I'm using the Shimano 12-36 HG61 cassette ATM. Only about 50g or so heavier than an XT 11-34. Only thing, I had to get a stainless steel freehub body for my wheelset as the 12-36 was digging into the carrier a lot more than I'm used to.

  11. #11
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,760
    yeah, I'm running an HG61 on my Rune with a steel freehub (the lighter set-up is on my prime). That's the only advantage of the 36t add on, you can run it with a lighter casette that uses an aluminum spider, which in turn allows you to use a lighter alu freehub without damage....combined, probably 150g difference at most compared to the HG61 set-up... not a big deal.

    That canfield set-up, running a 9-36 casette with a 28t ring would be perfect around here....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    That canfield set-up, running a 9-36 casette with a 28t ring would be perfect around here....
    Get it. That is exactly what I have on my Chilcotin and I would love to get another for my Scythe.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    yeah, I'm running an HG61 on my Rune with a steel freehub (the lighter set-up is on my prime). That's the only advantage of the 36t add on, you can run it with a lighter casette that uses an aluminum spider, which in turn allows you to use a lighter alu freehub without damage....combined, probably 150g difference at most compared to the HG61 set-up... not a big deal.

    That canfield set-up, running a 9-36 casette with a 28t ring would be perfect around here....
    Damn, I'd wish I'd have known that the HG61 would chew up hubs...My DT-Swiss 440 12x150 is probably getting chewed up along with my newer Sun Ringle Charger Pro hub.

    Does this mean if I replace my cassettes, I may have to replace my freehub bodies?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Damn, I'd wish I'd have known that the HG61 would chew up hubs...My DT-Swiss 440 12x150 is probably getting chewed up along with my newer Sun Ringle Charger Pro hub.

    Does this mean if I replace my cassettes, I may have to replace my freehub bodies?
    You can get the steel freehub bodies for the Sun-Ringle Charger and others from CRC. Or your LBS. I didn't want to wait for overseas shipping and my LBS price-matched to CRC pricing and got it directly from Sun-Ringle. But in the end, they shipped out the wrong part and I ended up waiting longer than from CRC anyway.

    But yeah, I have the Sun-Ringle Charger Expert 29er wheelset, same aluminum freehub body as the Charger Pro, and first ride around the block with the HG61 cassette I could feel grinding noises when I would pedal with some power. It was even worse on the first climb. I switched cassettes to an XT M770 11-34 and filed down the grooves in the freehub body (it didn't look prety) and while it made less noise with the XT cassette, I needed my 36 cog for climbing.

    The steel freehub replacement has been amazing so far, zero grinding, looks brand new still, and the bearing spacing now is much further apart than in the aluminum freehub so t's definitely more robust. Weight difference was also negligible, only 50 or so more grams

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,311
    I posted in the Prime Anticipation thread about the HS, but will chime in here again. The drag in the high range with the HS is significant. So much so I rarely used it in the two seasons I ran a HS on my Nomad. I kept trying to like it, but by the end of season 2 I realized the excessive drag meant I rarely used high range unless I was bombing downhill and the drag didn't matter.

    Swapping back to a dual ring setup I'm much happier and spend 99% of my time on the 32T ring rather than the 22T.

    The HS is a great idea. I liked a lot of things about it, but that high range drag was awful.

    I would definitely recommend you try one out before you buy.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141
    I've been running one on my WFO, I like it better than the 22/36 on my RIP...I guess the drag doesn't bother me...

    I've been able to get new ones (AM, shifter, bottom bracket) for about 50% of the list of just the Hammerschmidt AM...either because it is a take off or someone who bought one but never installed it and just wants to get rid of it...and a little bit of luck.

    Someone at Jenson told me about some new 1 x 11 stuff...I might try it later if I ever find a great deal on it...

    Thanks to Jenson for building my "new/used" Prime Prototype for me.



    I haven't really been able to ride it yet, my ribs are still sore from an OTB three months ago...I've had a bad cough for about 10 days...I thought I felt well enough for a short 30 minute ride when I picked it up today (in the 100 degree heat)...

    Big mistake...I was feeling overheated and light headed after just 15 minutes, even though I thought I was drinking plenty of ice water from my camelbak...I just found some shade and rested for about 20 minutes till I could ride back to my car.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,311
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Someone at Jenson told me about some new 1 x 11 stuff...I might try it later if I ever find a great deal on it...
    They may be talking about the new SRAM XX1 setup. Requires a proprietary hub and the whole shebang costs ~$1600 at full MSRP.

    I found a source for a 30T ring so I'll be running a 1 x 9 [11-34T] as a poor man's solution while I wear out my current drivetrain and decide what to do next.

    I'm glad you are enjoying your HS.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  18. #18
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,214
    JBsocal, congrats on the Prime, think you'll like it Sorry to hear about the OTB and ribs, have you been to have an x-ray recently to make sure no broken or fractured ribs with that cough?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

  19. #19
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    They may be talking about the new SRAM XX1 setup. Requires a proprietary hub and the whole shebang costs ~$1600 at full MSRP.
    This will be less of an issue than made out to be, I think. SRAM, DT Swiss and now Hope hubs will be compatible with the XD freehub, and I'd imagine a lot of the other major players in high-end hubs will follow Hope's lead. According to the Eurobike coverage, Hope's new XD freehub is compatible with all their Pro2 and Pro3 Evo hubs. And when they trickle down to an X9 equivalent the cost won't be as breath-taking. I don't see myself retrofitting, but I'd consider it for a new build a few years down the road.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  20. #20
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    I haven't really been able to ride it yet, my ribs are still sore from an OTB three months ago...I've had a bad cough for about 10 days...I thought I felt well enough for a short 30 minute ride when I picked it up today (in the 100 degree heat)...

    Big mistake...I was feeling overheated and light headed after just 15 minutes, even though I thought I was drinking plenty of ice water from my camelbak...I just found some shade and rested for about 20 minutes till I could ride back to my car.
    Ouch! Heal up soon. I'll be curious to hear whether you notice much feedback with the HS.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •