Sock Monkey

Prime durability

I am considering a Banshee Rune version 2. I understand it has a similar suspension design and bearing pivot design to the Prime, which has been out for a while. I am curious therefore as to how this design is holding up....any thoughts based on your experience and observations? Thanks in advance...

great looking bikes by the way...

Prime
    I have a background that's engineering oriented, I've been machining and fabricating for over 20 years, I have been abusing all things mechanical for over 35 years, and although I've only been beating on my Prime for a bit over a month, it appears to be extremely well designed and I expect absolutely no problems from a durability stand point.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    The production frames have final machining/tooling and several refinements based on the proto frames. Also I believe the production frames have higher quality bearings.

Just out of curiosity, at one point I pulled my Prime proto completely apart, including replacing the bearings (standard sizes and easy to source locally, by the way). I sent a few comments with Keith, and as it turned out, very minor changes to the production frames had been made based on similar comments form other testers. Really minor stuff, like changing the pivot machining to reduce mud collection, triple-checking & improving tolerances, various chainguide and front derailuer compatibilty checks, stuff like that. Like optimus, I enjoy that sort of geekery, so it's been a pleasure to do all kinds of stuff that normal consumers shouldn't have to.... like swapping builds several times just to see what works best. Anyways, I think Banshee's prototype/tester program really does lead to a better product for the first production release.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    OK, so here's what I really want to know. If I buy a Rune V2, is it gonna fall apart or ride like its a worn out Yugo in 6 months? Cause that would piss me off. Thanks in advance.
    The Rune is built to withstand more abuse than most other bikes in its class. Partially why it weighs more than other bikes in its class.

And if you have worries based on the fact there have been durability issues in the past - I think this is exactly why there's nothing to worry about going forward. Nothing sets a small company's priorities heavily towards durability like a warranty debacle that jeopardizes the company's future.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Banshee is a brand that you dont have worry about durability.... of anything welded nevermind of bearings issue