mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Prime 12x142 vs 12x150 ???

Picked up a lightly used Prime size L. It is currently set up with 12x150 dropouts. I was considering changing to 12x142 so I can use my current wheels off of my Honzo but they are pretty heavy and I'd like to upgrade anyway, so do I just put the $ for the dropouts toward a new wheelset with a 12x150?
    Am I right in thinking the major advantage is wheel stiffness do to less dish? Not too many options on pre built sets with 12x150 and 15mm front. Looks like I will have to go custom build.
    I'm 6'2" 180lbs and ride pretty aggressively on really rocky trails with some 2-3' drops here and there. I typically don't have any wheel problems on my Nomad or Honzo. Is 12x150 overkill? Any negatives? Heavier maybe?
    Also, what is price on dropouts and where can I get them? This might make up my mind quick! Lol

mtbr member
    The 150mm builds a noticeably stiffer wheel. I would go that route.

AOK
    mtbr member

The dropouts run about $50. You can get them from a banshee dealer. I know that Chad at Red Barn can get them.

Did you pick up the yellow frame that ColinM had for sale? I was looking at it as well, which is why I did some research on dropouts. I was planning to use existing 142x12 wheels too.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Did you pick up the yellow frame that ColinM had for sale? .
    That was a great deal for whoever picked it up!

Tvan, I'd say it all comes down to budget. The prime is such a capable bike, the wrong wheelset can really hold it back. If money is no object, 150 hubs with burly carbon rims would be awesome, but that'd be a custom build.

My guess is that a good 142mm carbon wheelset (i.e reynolds or easton) would be much stiffer than flows laced to 150mm hubs, lighter & more durable as well. I've had the Easton Haven Carbons on my Prime (142x12) and they're easily stiffer than the 26" 150mm DH wheels I had on a previous bike (w/ mavic 823 rims). And they're also light and crazy durable. Just trued them for the first time (I'm the 2nd owner and have been riding them for 9 months) after casing a gap and they trued up good as new.

If carbon is out of the budget, then a custom build with 150mm hubs starts to seem like a pretty good option.

If you do go 150mm look carefully at the hub dimensions. Many hub brands use the same flange spacing on their 135mm and 150mm hubs, they just move the rotor mount out on the wider 150mm axle. No benefit there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, I am the lucky new owner of ColinM's yellow Prime. I haven't given carbon much thought because I always thought they might be a bit delicate in the rocks but sounds like they hold up well. Any issue with loose rocks chipping the sidewalls of carbon rims?
    Good tip on the flange spacing! Will def check into that.
    Thanks

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    If you go carbon, be sure to watch your tire pressures religiously and don't skimp on tire size. The Prime DESERVES a fat meat! Don't be silly and run a lightweight rim with a 2.0" tire or the Prime Police will confiscate your bike. 2.3"+ is about a must on the Prime or you're not using it right.

I don't have an opinion on the 142 vs 150 debate. I've never used a 150 wheel. I do know that my LightBicycle rims, CXRay spokes and DT 240s hubs are stiff enough! No complaints here

FM
    luxatio erecta
    DFYFZX, cool to hear about the Nancy rims and also the Ikon.

Speculation but I think the ballistic carbon stuff easton uses is more than hype. The carbon has almost a gummy look/feel to it, and mine have withstood a ton of abuse (again I'm the 2nd owner)...without even going out of true. I typically run 22f/26r psi rear at 175lbs. Last week I cased a small stepdown- centered the rear wheel right on the rock edge of the tranny and heard a load CRACK! I was sure I had cracked the rim. It checked out fine although I had finally put a flat spot in it. Later I removed the tire and trued it up- in 10 minutes it was round as new and the rim shows no damage. I also like that these rims have eyelets which should help spread loads. The stiffness difference over the flows they replaced was noticeable immediately on the first descent.

Keep us posted tvan!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Take care of my yellow baby It was very bittersweet packing her up and shipping her off. If I didn't have a Ripley and SB95c in the garage as well she would still be here.

On a side note, the SB95c is LEGIT. Anyone that wasn't blown away by the alloy SB95 (me included) owes yourself a ride on the Carbon version. Very similar to what I imagine a Prime carbon would be like.

For reference, I ran ENVE AM 32H rim laced to a Hadley 150mm hub. Of course this wasn't a budget build but it was mighty burly. The frame of the prime is so stiff that the wheels will flex way before the frame does so weak wheels will stick out like a sore thumb. I don't think there will be a noticeable difference for you with 142 vs 150 @ 180ish lbs. I would spend the money towards carbon if you can swing it because that will be more of a noticeable difference than hub width in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I'm also considering the new Industry Nine Torch, either the Enduro or the Gravity. As for tires, I haven't run anything smaller than 2.35 in years. Thinking of trying a set of Hans Dampf's.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Dampfs are badass tires but if you ride a lot of rocks they shred surprisingly fast. I don't mean sidewall punctures, or sudden failure, more knobs wearing fast and shearing off. My buddy and I both experienced the same thing. They're also pretty dang heavy. I'm loving my Specialized Butcher on the front and Ground Control in back. They're holding up to rocks really well, are light enough and the no questions asked replacement deal thru Specialized is pretty awesome! Doesn't cover normal wear and tear, of course, but it would have been nice to get a replacement for my $80 Dampf when it wore out prematurely. Schwalbe wouldn't replace it. I asked.