Thread: Prime+

mtbr member

Prime+

Can anyone confirm the largest 27.5+ tire they have successfully fit in the rear of their Prime?

MTB B'dos
    What a coincidence, just decided to set my 2013 PP Prime up again this morning and decided to try B+. Have Nobby Nic 2.8"s on WTB Asym i35 and they measure out to 69mm @ 16 PSI, stays measure 83/84mm, so about 7mm clearance with these, so I'd say up to true 3" tyre on appropriate rim without concern for mud clearance - loads of clearance obviously in front the tyre. Heading out for a test ride this afternoon, so will try to grab some pics then.

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Can anyone confirm the largest 27.5+ tire they have successfully fit in the rear of their Prime?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thanks Lynx, I was hoping I could at least run the Minions in a 3" iteration. I'm not really sure it's worth building up a set of new wheels for a 2.8" tire when I could just run a 2.6" 29er tire.
    Not much consideration for mud on the Western Slope, at least not in the places I would elect to run the +wheels/tires.

MTB B'dos
    From what I've read, those are running about true to listed size. I decided to go with my B+ wheels off my Paradox on the Prime because the original Pro2/Flow with HR2 2.3"s just looked anemic to me after riding my Pro2/Asym i29 with Forekaster/DHR2/DHF 2.3" on the Phantom and the B+ NN 2.8"s on the Paradox.

Bit of an FYI, the Minion PLUS do not come in 3.0" for 650B (yet?), only 29". With the 650B drop outs on the Prime you can run a true 29"x2.8" with lots of clearance, 3.0" is a tad tight, but not much worry if you don't do/have mud. For me 29+ seems a bit cumbersome on an FS like the Prime, prefer 650B, but then there's others who love it.

Thanks Lynx, I was hoping I could at least run the Minions in a 3" iteration. I'm not really sure it's worth building up a set of new wheels for a 2.8" tire when I could just run a 2.6" 29er tire.
    Not much consideration for mud on the Western Slope, at least not in the places I would elect to run the +wheels/tires.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    For me 29+ seems a bit cumbersome on an FS like the Prime, prefer 650B, but then there's others who love it.
    That's kind of how I see it as well. I have ridden 29+ plenty & am ready to try the slightly smaller diameter (to a 29") of the 27.5+ wheel/tire setup. I just hope the tires will hold up to the local chunk in the GJ/Fruita/Moab terrain.

MTB B'dos
    Well, didn't remember to take any pics, but I can surely tell you that this setup on the Prime is A+. The slightly smaller than 29" outer circumference keeps spin up and maneuverability there, but the B+ tyres add that extra bit of something to the ride, even the Nobby Nics, this is how my Prime will be set up from now on

I wouldn't worry about only running 2.8" tyres, they seemed plenty for me and kept the bike nimble, especially something like a 2.8" DHR2/DHF. Run a longer than standard fork and put the drop outs in the steep setting if you're worried about BB height and you're good to go. I've got my F34 out to 150mm and drop outs in the slack position and BB is still 13.5".

That's kind of how I see it as well. I have ridden 29+ plenty & am ready to try the slightly smaller diameter (to a 29") of the 27.5+ wheel/tire setup. I just hope the tires will hold up to the local chunk in the GJ/Fruita/Moab terrain.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    A combination of Maxxis Minion DHF and Rekon+ are very nice. In 27.5x2.8 size, of course. They will drop the bottom bracket about 10mm compared to 29's, as they only measure about 28.25" in diameter on 35mm rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk