Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    WNC Native

Paradox Updated for 2012

I've heard it's getting updated, what's the scoop??? I'm betting tapered HT is one of the changes.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I know there will be some updates but I'm not sure if they are finalized yet. I'm sure we'll hear something within a month or so. The Paradox will be my XC/Trail bike next season so I'm anxious to see what is in store as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's what I'm hoping to see in a Paradox MkII:

1.) tapered or 1.5" headtube (so I can try out the new Fox 34mm forks). There's nothing wrong with 1 1/8" head tubes for this style of bike (I mean, it's not a DH or FR beast), but the industry is going this way whether we need it or not.

2.) direct mount front derailleur (so I can replace my crappy SRAM FD with a Shimano). This is one of the better ideas that's come along lately. I'm all for easier setup and more tire clearance.

3.) more rear tire clearance (so I can run even more extreme meat back there). This isn't an absolute necessity for me - more like one of those "what the heck, while you're at it ..." things. I've been running the WTB Bronson 2.2" on my Paradox, and it feels like I'm cheating out there.

4.) BB30 or BB92 - what the heck, the industry's already heading in this direction also. Plus, it will allow for more weld area to widen and strengthen the chainstays.

5.) interchangeable rear dropouts - 135x10, 135x12, 142x12 (F*ck Specialized and their proprietary BS), and horizontal (for SS).

mtbr member
    I'm excited for the new changes. After this season's over, I'm selling my 26er Transition TransAM and getting on the 2012 Paradox for next season. I emailed Banshee this week if they planned on using the tapered headtube and it's confirmed, along with a direct mount FD and slightly slacker HA. Pretty stoked on the tapered HT as I plan on running either the Rockshox Reba/Revelation 140 or Fox 34.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for more rear tire clearance. I want to run some 2.4's
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    any cad drawings, or the like?
    give the monkeys some sugar, come on

lower standover toptube would top it off...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When will the updated version be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterpan View Post
    When will the updated version be available?
    I would expect it is about two months out. I'm impatiently waiting myself.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    will we see a prototype/cad drwaing, please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got an email from Banshee: the new paradox will be at the dealers in November.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterpan View Post
    Just got an email from Banshee: the new paradox will be at the dealers in November.
    If it is expected to be available from dealers in November, why is there no information available? There is no mention on the Banshee website that I can see. I'd like to know the details.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    If it is expected to be available from dealers in November, why is there no information available? There is no mention on the Banshee website that I can see. I'd like to know the details.
    Likewise.

It's either a Paradox or Canfielf Yelli for me at this point.

mtbr member
    I'd like tapered headtube and a longer TT (which will yield a longer wheelbase). I'm 6', and I'd like the TT on my Large to be an inch longer.

mtbr member
    I am in Chile and the dealer here said that Banshee had a delay on the CURRENT production batch, now I understand why is that... I am anxious to buy the fork and the tapered tube is everywhere. Dunno what to do, maybe I should stay waiting until the frame is in my hands...

mtbr member
    If you squint, you can see the tapered headtube on the Paradox in the back, from Interbike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sorry Eurospek, that was an old paradox build at interbike, but I did talk to the reps and they said it should be available in November and will have a tapered HT, slightly slacker head angle (I think they said a degree slacker), and redesigned chain/seatstays (rep said some people were rubbing heels and legs on them and better tire clearance)

That's all I got, but it just might be enough for me to wait until November

Also saw the new Trans Am 29er there, but that's for another thread

mtbr member
    ^ See, when I asked about the chainstay updates and tire clearance in my email, all I received was slacker HA, tapered steer tube, and direct mount front der. I was specifically answered chainstays are staying the same ("The chainstay clearance will be the same on the V2 Paradox") with slightly more room for tire due to the direct mount front der.

So idk who to believe now, plus looking at Paradox geo, the Large fits me well with its ETT and seat tube but the reach is super short, and their XL size is just way too big for my taste, I have no desire for 22" seat tube.

At this point, I'm ready to commit to a Canfield Yelli Screamy, better geo, better tire clearance, available now. The TransAM 29er looks nice, but I want a sub-30 lb hardtail next. My 26er TransAM sits at 32.5 lbs, way too much, even with lightish components. That frame from the get-go is quite heavy.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Squint? I can't get past looking at the Prime!
    These days... most every ride on my Rune, I wish it had 29" wheels....
    And many rides on my Yelli Screamy, I wish it had the Rune's suspension.
    I have always been an AM hardtail guy, but when things get really fast & rowdy, it's nice to have some cush.....
    Just waiting patiently and happily riding my current bikes...

mtbr member
    LOL, same thing when I ride my current TransAM, I wish for bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i most admit that i am all excited about the prime, but the cs length is a bit out of the range for me... especially since kona is prooving that there are ways to go shorter... and devinci as well, and the super short stay hardtails popping up with 405mm chainstay length like the stijncycles mike... (god knows what tire will fit in the kona satori tho)

i like technical riding (for bikepark action i have my legend) and i always thought about a paradox as a 3rd bike... but it cannot replace the rune cause i need some "squich" out back on the alpine trails, and i dont want 2 trailbikes (rune and paradox) so the only way is to further keep the rune and patiently wait for some upgrades in the 29er components (esp. forks - i hate the current fox rlc damping system, and RS has the noodly 32mm chassis for a 210' guy, plus there is nothing with coil, although i know this issue can be sorted out with RS pike coils and some fiddeling with spacers for the shaft of the coil) and frames section... so please banshee, do us all a favour and try to work over the cs length for mass production...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I could make the chainstay shorter by going single pivot like the other bikes mentioned very easily. But if you want virtual pivot performance (will definitiely be noticable when pedaling) then is 12mm more CS length really a killer especially when it can fit 2.5" tires...?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    not so sure on which side of the tradeoff the disadvantages are bigger...

i have ridden wfos and rips with similar cs length, one 2011 with the upgraded headangle with dorado, so plenty slack, one with angleset, so comparable front geometry, and they were not hard to wheely or anything, but in really steep technical descents, i was not comfortable with the whole setup...
    it is hard to isolate geometry parameters, especially on a full suspension bike, but i recently rode a 29" hardtail with 416mm cs length and 67.5 headangle an alpine trails, switching back and forth with my rune, and i had a huge blast on it... it only lacked the rear suspension... had a 2.4" tire with room to spare...
    i know, that the geonometrical problems are multiplied with rear suspension, that is why i am no suspension designer, obviously..
    so geometrywise, i am pretty sure, a short cs length is key... and also a key argument in selling... slack headangle is no problem these days even with tapered fork since more and more frames are offeres with 44mm upper and 56mm lower cup which enable angleset with tapered fork - great move, in my opinion, or straight 1.5" headtube, which gives you the same possibility...

the prime is late on the market, and you have to have an ace selling argument, or the costumers will go somewhere alse... because slack headangle is coming 1 year to late already to be a real argument imho...

sorry, i dont want to offend you, if i didnt think you made great products, i would not have bought my first 2 banshees... it is just what i think about the whole thing... is there no way to get more space by modyfying the seattube more agressifly, or something like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Haha, don't worry, the slacker than average headtube on the prime is one of the most basic things about the bike, it isn't that big a deal as far as I'm concened. I admit we have taken too long to get to the market, and posted info on the bike too early. As a result I've seen other brands following the geometry trend and release bikes quickly... but good things come to those who wait!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    if it goes with the prime as it went with the legend, i am okay with that

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I copped a feel of that L sized Prime in Eurobike... it didn't feel too big and my optimal frame size is M..

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast