Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 623
  1. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered before, but what has everyone been using as frame protection from cable rub? Seems like standard 3M clear tape would look pretty bad on the matte black finish.

    Normally its nothing I worry about but my frame is almost brand new and I'd like to keep it looking that way.
    My black frame is now about a year old and never had a problem. I've never even thought about it. Mind you, if you are talking about rub around the headtube area, I route my cables around to the opposite side and there is no rubbing. I leave them long enough so that there is no rub on the frame when the steering is turned full 90.

    Paradox Updated for 2012-img_1579.jpg
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  2. #477
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    My Banshee Paradox (old version, but I think its okay for this tread):





    Spec:

    Fork: White Brothers BW 1.3, 20mm TA
    Headset: Works Components (-1 degree)
    Cranks: Hammershmidt 36-22 + 11-36 cassette
    Rear der: SRAM X0 short cage
    SRAM X0 Gripshift
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R (180/180 mm)
    Wheelset: Pacenti DL31 rims on Fun Works 4 Way Pro hubs
    Tires: Specialized S-Works Eskar 2.3 (rear) and Shwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 (front)
    Pedals: Look quartz
    Seatpost: Gravity Dropper Turbo
    Saddle: Specialized Romin EVO
    Handlebar: Syntace Vector 800 мм

  3. #478
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,144
    How are those Pacenti DL31s holding up? I'm currently having some laced up to a set of Hope Pro 2s to go on my Paradox.

    Really nice build, kinda wish I had the polished Paradox but couldnt pass on the deal with the black one I picked up.

  4. #479
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    55
    I second your liking of the polished Paradox. I also went for the black one only to avoid trouble questions.
    With the black version the change of bikes went unnoticed...

  5. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. 68 Hundred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    343
    I have the DL31's on my Paradox as well (w/ 2.35" Schwalbes). Maybe 60-70 pretty hard miles on them and they have some wobbles and hops (but straight enough). I've done a few things I probably shouldn't have and it is pretty rocky where I ride; considering their weight, I'm happy enough with them. Probably will rebuild with a MTX 33 in the rear next time.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Occupation: Disposable gene transfer machine

  6. #481
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    How are those Pacenti DL31s holding up? .
    Works great, because of its wide it was complicated to inflow TR tires with floor pump, but I used method, when You first mount tire with tube and then it was easy.

  7. #482
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. 68 Hundred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Adilka View Post
    Works great, because of its wide it was complicated to inflow TR tires with floor pump, but I used method, when You first mount tire with tube and then it was easy.
    Schwalbe TR with split tube method (and soapy water) aired up with floorpump (Topeak Mountain pump) relatively easy for me. So easy in fact that I felt like a total stud...

  8. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation: argent81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Hello , im interested on buy the paradox frame , for my height 5' 9.7"what i need buy ? M or L ? i prefer go downhill than uphill.


    thanks a lot.

  9. #484
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by argent81 View Post
    Hello , im interested on buy the paradox frame , for my height 5' 9.7"what i need buy ? M or L ? i prefer go downhill than uphill.


    thanks a lot.
    I am a fraction taller and ride a large.

    The decision will probably come down to your proportions of leg length versus arm and trunk length.

    I have a relatively short leg length and long trunk so I went the large because I like and need the longer reach. I also use a set back seat post and run a 70mm stem.

  10. #485
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9

    sizing + routing

    I more or less have the same question, but I'm 6'; leg length is 32" and I generely prefer smaller frames (more jump/DH than XC background). The build is going to be with 140 Revs, 2.35 NobbyNics and a -1 AngleSet.
    However, I'm afraid the M Paradox is too small, due to its very short reach, but the L is just too big in seat tube length and standover for my type of riding. I would want a M height with L length; but maybe I should just go for a different frame.

    Does the frame actually have dropper post cable routings?

    Thanks a lot for help.

  11. #486
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailmosher View Post
    I more or less have the same question, but I'm 6'; leg length is 32" and I generely prefer smaller frames (more jump/DH than XC background). The build is going to be with 140 Revs, 2.35 NobbyNics and a -1 AngleSet.
    However, I'm afraid the M Paradox is too small, due to its very short reach, but the L is just too big in seat tube length and standover for my type of riding. I would want a M height with L length; but maybe I should just go for a different frame.
    Is the 32" your properly measured cycling measured inseam? In other words, stand up against a wall, feet pedal width apart and push a book firmly into your groin as if you are sitting on a saddle. Have someone mark the book against the wall and measure from the floor. I'm 5' 10" and although I wear 32" leg length Levis, I have a 34" cycling inseam. Because I have longish legs and shorter torso, I prefer a medium. If I was 6' I wouldn't be thinking about it, I'd get a large. I wouldn't even think about seat tube length. How likely are you to be riding with the seat all the way down? The important dimension is effective top tube length.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailmosher View Post
    Does the frame actually have dropper post cable routings?

    Thanks a lot for help.
    The frame has provision for four full length cable runs under the top tube. Rear brake, rear derailleur, front derailleur so I suppose the fourth one is for a dropper post.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  12. #487
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Thanks first of all for the fast and competent help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Is the 32" your properly measured cycling measured inseam? ... although I wear 32" leg length Levis, I have a 34" cycling inseam.
    Your right, the cycling measured inseam is also 34" for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    How likely are you to be riding with the seat all the way down?
    I probably wouldn't on an M, but the L is 2" longer. Thus, it is getting tight to fit a 6" dropper post, which I want to have, in case things get way steep or when hitting some jumps in the bike park. Also the standover is just a little high on the L, which is not good, when going on a downhill track.
    But I probably should follow your advise and go with the L, the top tube on the M is too short.

  13. #488
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailmosher View Post
    Thanks first of all for the fast and competent help.


    Your right, the cycling measured inseam is also 34" for me.


    I probably wouldn't on an M, but the L is 2" longer. Thus, it is getting tight to fit a 6" dropper post, which I want to have, in case things get way steep or when hitting some jumps in the bike park. Also the standover is just a little high on the L, which is not good, when going on a downhill track.
    But I probably should follow your advise and go with the L, the top tube on the M is too short.
    I was going to ask if you knew it was a 29'er

    But having checked the geo I see your point about the big difference in seat post height.

    I would normally say large and I would normally say get the right frame size and don't compromise on stem length. However in this case there is only 25mm in the ETT length so maybe you could go up 10 or 20mm on the stem length on a medium, say a 70mm (like I run on my large) versus a 50mm.

    Yes there is a spare route for a dropper seat post cable. I am about to fit a Reverb 100mm to mine.

  14. #489
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DanoXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    47
    Just as a referene I'm 174cm with shoes on and I ride a Medium with a 70mm stem. My opinion, at your height theres no way ide ride a Medium. The bike feels pretty small as it is. I like to ride on the aggressive side of things. Pop off of every root, rock I see and like to flick the back end around corners so the bike feels great at my height to do that.If I was 6 foot or more ide go for a Large for sure.

  15. #490
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    I'll probably go with a different frame then. I've taken some measurments today and my current bikes are pretty similar to the geo of the Paradox in M, but as they are more on the dirtjump/ freeride end of the spectrum, I guess that this would be too small for an allmountain ride. However, the L is just too big. Comparing it with my current rides and rideheight, I would barely fit a 5" dropper and due to the higher standover it would probably feel to XC-ish for my taste and riding.
    The M/L size that Chromag has, would be just perfect, but these frames are unaffordable here in Europe.

    Thanks though to everyone for the help.

  16. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Have you looked at the 2Souls QH / Slim Jim frame out of Germany? Super frame.

  17. #492
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Have you looked at the 2Souls QH / Slim Jim frame out of Germany? Super frame.
    weird it has a 27.2mm seat tube. i would think that by now that manufacturers would run at least 30.9mm to keep dropper seat post options open. they have a 44mm head tube and iscg05, sucks they stuck with 27.2mm.

    looks bigger than that in the picture though

  18. #493
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    weird it has a 27.2mm seat tube. i would think that by now that manufacturers would run at least 30.9mm to keep dropper seat post options open. they have a 44mm head tube and iscg05, sucks they stuck with 27.2mm.

    looks bigger than that in the picture though
    There's a reason for that. There were initial problems with the chainstay/yokes from the first production of the QH frame, it was released as the Slim Jim (for a few hundred euros cheaper), with reduced tire clearance and the seat tube was shimmed to 27.2. There were some Slim Jims available without the shim to run a proper 30.9 dropper (but if you pulled it out yourself and reamed it properly, your warranty was voided anyway). The reason for the shim from 2Souls was they said with the limited rear tire clearance in the shortest CS configuration (meaning getting kinda tight with a 2.25 Ardent), people would see more compliance in the ride running a skinny 27.2 post. I never really understood their thought process behind this move. I'm running a 31.6 Reverb and a 2.25 Ardent on my Honzo and it rides just fine.

    The QH was just recently released (less than 6 months ago) with the proper specs as originally planned: wide tire clearance in the short CS configuration, no shims, 30.9 seat tube, along with a few other slight changes, but price has increased quite a lot too.

    Why do I know all this? Because the 2Souls QH/SJ was the bike I wanted to build last winter before getting my Honzo. But they never made the XXL size which I wanted, and I wasn't going to pay $1200+ and fear the XL would be too similar to my old TransAM 26er with similar geo. In the end, I saved myself quite a lot with the Honzo, super stoked with my decision, and would buy one again in a heartbeat. BUT if I was in Europe and had a chance to demo one of these 2Souls, I would definitely be interested. Plus dealing with such a small company has been nice as well, they replied to all my emails and believe me, there was quite a few of them.

  19. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Helmetless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    My black frame is now about a year old and never had a problem. I've never even thought about it. Mind you, if you are talking about rub around the headtube area, I route my cables around to the opposite side and there is no rubbing. I leave them long enough so that there is no rub on the frame when the steering is turned full 90.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	786578
    Nice details, Ronnie! So great to see these inputs. Keep it up!
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

  20. #495
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,144
    Got the fork, cranks, cockpit, wheels and tires on my Paradox over the last week or so. Just need to order brakes, shifters, cassette, and rear derailleur to get it going. Really stoked, comparing measurements to my other bikes, seems like the fit is going to be spot on, even with the short headtube on the XL frame.

  21. #496
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,304
    Excited to see your build GTScoob.

  22. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,144
    Man in the brown suit dropped off a nice box of parts yesterday. Hopefully I'll get this put together next week. Here's how the build is going to look:

    ver2 Paradox Frame
    Fork - 2012 Rockshox Revelation RCT3 140mm
    Wheels - Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs laced to Pacenti DL31 rims. 32H front 36H rear, wheelbuild by Snyder Cycles
    Tires - Ardent 2.4 up front, Ikon 2.2 out back. Hoping to replace the Ikon with a 2.35 version when it wears out, if it'll fit.
    Cranks - 780 XT cranks, 24/32/bash
    Shifters - 10 speed XT, Ispec shifters
    Brakes - XT Icetech with Magura rotors 203mm F/ 180mm R
    Front derailleur - XT 9spd direct mount for less chainrub when cross chained
    Rear derailleur - Zee FR Shadow+
    Cassette - XT 11-34
    Thomson stem and post for now, Truvativ Boobars.

    Cockpit, tires, and cranks are spare parts. Rotors were originally purchased for another bike but ended up not using them. Sold a few bikes to buy the rest of the parts so I'm almost coming out ahead on this build

    Hoping to get it built next week and then hitting FATS in South Carolina next weekend for my birthday. Lotsa good flow trails out there that should be perfect for this bike

  23. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    "GTscoob", just a heads-up. My whole drive train is is nine speed. Crank set is M770 with 22/32T and a bashguard. When I first built my version 2, I used a XT 9 speed direct mount front derailleur. The XT 9 speed is made for three rings and has a very long cage. I found it long enough that it was within a few millimeters of the back tire (2.25 Nobby Nic) when on the granny gear. I then got a XT 10 speed which is meant for two rings and works just fine with my 9 speed two ring setup. The cage is much shorter and affords much better clearance.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  24. #499
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    "GTscoob", just a heads-up. My whole drive train is is nine speed. Crank set is M770 with 22/32T and a bashguard. When I first built my version 2, I used a XT 9 speed direct mount front derailleur. The XT 9 speed is made for three rings and has a very long cage. I found it long enough that it was within a few millimeters of the back tire (2.25 Nobby Nic) when on the granny gear. I then got a XT 10 speed which is meant for two rings and works just fine with my 9 speed two ring setup. The cage is much shorter and affords much better clearance.
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you know which model number you are using? Are you using the XT 3x10 FD (M781) or an XT 2x10 FD (M786)?

    Tire clearance is good but I'd also like a FD that is sized closer to the rings I'm using, not one designed to clear the removed 42T ring.

    FWIW I noticed the stock Paradoxes come with a SRAM 2x10 front derailleur despite shipping with a double/bash setup. This isnt supposed to work so well since cable pull and travel are different on the 2x front derailleurs compared to the 3x front derailleurs.

  25. #500
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you know which model number you are using? Are you using the XT 3x10 FD (M781) or an XT 2x10 FD (M786)?

    Tire clearance is good but I'd also like a FD that is sized closer to the rings I'm using, not one designed to clear the removed 42T ring.

    FWIW I noticed the stock Paradoxes come with a SRAM 2x10 front derailleur despite shipping with a double/bash setup. This isnt supposed to work so well since cable pull and travel are different on the 2x front derailleurs compared to the 3x front derailleurs.
    It's a XT 2 X 10 M786.

    Paradox Updated for 2012-img_1580.jpg
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Trek Wahoo VS. 2012 Specialized Hardrock
    By smoothie7 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM
  2. 2012 trek slash 9 vs 2012 remedy 9.8 or 9
    By Demorider in forum Trek
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 11:51 PM
  3. 2012 Marin T3 XM8 or 2012 Scott Genius 20 ??
    By A2k Mike in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 03:12 AM
  4. Rocky has updated their site for 2012
    By powriderkevin in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 10:42 PM
  5. Updated R2R website with updated trail conditions
    By flipnidaho in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •