Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thank you H-less; I was thinking the same thing with the Kashima; looks even better in person.

Chainline is finalized; had tried to center the chainring more (with 1.0 mm of spacers) compared with the cassette but the chain kept catching the teeth of the 13T when the chain was on the 11T and I pedaled backwards. To truly center the ring, I would have needed 5 mm of spacers (to move the chainring towards the midline of the bike), but that was very clearly not going to work.

Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    hey! Is it for rear or front?

mtbr member
    Front; I put a 2.35" Nobby Nic on the rear. PLENTY of chain/seatstay clearance. Very small clearance to the direct mount; zero clearance to my front derailleur, which is why I'm 1 X 10 now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    :|

XTR FD-M986-D (direct mount 2X10) rubs bad with 2.35 Nobby Nics. Plenty of frame clearance though.

Any ideas/confirmed 2X10 Shimano FD's that work?

I ride Hans Dampfs 2.35 in the front and the rear with an XT 3x10 drive train and it works fine. I also had to cut off a bit of my FD, but now there is enough clearance; no rubbing at all.

mtbr member
    Just bought a Revelation G2 140mm (RL), just out of curiosity... Wondering if the reduced "trail" will actually be noticed.

Improvements I saw to get convinced were added tire clearance, g2 (fork crown offset a bit more ahead the bike, 51mm) and travel is 140mm; the latter 2 features, increase a couple mm the whole wheelbase and get the bb a bit higher.

Only drawbacks would possible be a tiny amount of extra weight and lacking my Reba's low compression adjustment

Feel free to leave your thoughts on this or if you've tried a G2 in a non-g2 bike already

Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It looks like the 1 X 10 is going to be sufficient (yeah, I'm a bad***) Which XT are you using?

Took mine out for it's first ride/shakedown run today. Bit too much air in the Talus, bit too much air in the tires (26 front, 30 rear), and a bit too much OEM Shimano oil on the chain. Had to limit it to 8 miles because I had my dog with and he was dunzo. Going back tomorrow sans dog to hit the whole 25.

Comfortable position, though I could use a 90 mm stem (versus the 70 I have on there). I'd prefer if the seat just could go back a bit further but I kind of need a dropper. We'll see.

It was a lot of fun riding and it did roll over things a lot easier. Less playful than my STP but it felt faster. If I was doing serious tech, I'd use the STP; otherwise, the Paradox. I'll get to move a lot faster without the dog tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to that.

Plan on dropping the pressure in the Talus, and putting tires at maybe 22F, 25R and see how that feels. With the sand/dust I rode in, need to degrease after this one ride. Full of grit on the sticky shimano oil. Pro-Link to follow.

LyNx: ENVE bars felt great. I could imagine bars being stiffer; but I have no complaints. They felt really solid.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am running about 22F/26R on mine. Generally 29'ers seem to tolerate lower tyre pressures than 26'ers. I am running NN 2.35 F and Suguaro 2.2 R on Flow rims.

Also agree with softening up the fork. As a rule of thumb you should be aiming to use your full (120mm?) travel at least once on your average ride. Otherwise you probably have it too stiff or you are carting around more suspension than you need for the terrain.

I have found the Paradox to be quite playful in the sense of being willing to pick up the front wheel easily with the shortish chainstays and stem I am running (70mm I think). However I tend to run a wider line with the front wheel when cornering.

All my mtb's are now 29'ers. For the XC style terrain I am riding they simply work best. The Paradox was the most recent purchase replacing a very similar specced Chameleon. i.e. 1x9, 120mm/20mm TA fork, short stem, wide riser bars etc.

MTB B'dos
    @ Helmet - I think with your V2 Paradox you should very much like what the G2 will bring, the offset goes from 48 to 51mm, which if it was the same length fork would feel probably a bit twitchier, but with the added travel/height it will pretty much just make it feel/handle almost the same to your old Reba. Remember, your HTA was 68* and now with the 140mm it is probably closer to 67*, so you need more offset to help keep the steering lively. Also while the slight increase in BB height might hinder fast, smooth cornering, it' will sure make it more fun in the rough stuff when you can continue to pedal a bit more than before.

@ Mr.68 - Sounds like you're having fun. On the tyre pressures, ready to ride I'm between about 180-185lbs running Stans Flows/Crest and tubed I run about 22-24F/26-28R on most tyres, bit lower tubeless, but not much generally - depends of course on the tyre and if I'm doing specific faster or slower trails and how rocky to fast they are.
    Unlike Ozzy, I don't think you should use all of your travel at least once a ride, 90% is fine leaving you with a cushion for mess ups or bigger hits (especially true if you don't do/have lots of jumps/drops over 2ft) I never go by SAG for my fork setting, I go by feel and to me to use all my travel for most of my riding my fork feels to mushy, but in general my suspension travel usage is actually fairly balanced when I check the o-rings on my fork and shock at the end of a ride.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OK, I gotta agree with Lynx on the fork travel settings. I pretty much do the same to avoid the fork being too mushy. You should still be using most of the travel on your fork on an average ride though. Also alot of riders err the other way and run too much air and hence non compliance in both their tyres and suspension.

mtbr member
    Ok, I know this is the Paradox thread but the CDT remote? I LOVE it. Couldn't believe the difference it made and I used it a ton. Not to get too melodramatic but it kind of felt like I was running a 28T or 30T up front instead of the 32T I actually run (when I put it in Climb mode for standing climbs). I. Am. Impressed.

I'm sub 160 dry; probably 170 geared up. Talus pressure is at 70 psi. I was going to let out another 5 or maybe 10 psi but I got 108 mm travel today, and that was taking it a little easy.

Back to the Paradox. I feel fine with the 70 mm stem now and I absolutely love how the bike handles. Climbs very well, corners nice, very stable. Tires were at 22F; 25R. I'm tempted to take another pound out of each one to help it feel a bit more planted on the faster sections. There were some sandy/dusty/muddy steep sections on climbs today and the bike just went up (not easy, but it kept moving). I'm nearly positive I wouldn't have made it on a 26."

A dropper post is definitely needed. The bike will take sharp corners well but you have to Fluidride-Like-a-Pro it. With the seat in the way, it's really tough to get the bike leaned over quickly. If the DOSS is compatible with the Talus remote, I'll get that one, otherwise???

Anyone know if the DOSS can use the same remote? The Talus remote has space for 2 wires, since I'm on a HT, I don't need it to run 2 shocks. Fox hasn't written back, my research has turned up nil.
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 03-03-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarify CDT Remote use

mtbr member
    Finished building up my V2 Paradox

specs are as follows

Frame - Banshee Paradox V2 ,Medium
    Front shock/fork - 2012 Marzocchii Bomber 44 Micro Ti 29, 120mm
    Handlebars - Answer Pro Taper Carbon, 720mm
    Stem - Chromag Ranger, 70mm
    Headset - Banshee
    Grips - Esi Chunky
    Saddle - Fizik Tundra 2
    Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb
    Brakes - Shimano SLX with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors
    Cranks - Shimano XT with 30T Widgit
    Chain - Shimano SLX
    Pedals - XTR Trail
    Front derailleur - not needed
    Rear derailleur - XTR Shadow Plus mid cage
    Shifters - XT iSpec
    Cassette - XT 11-36
    Wheels - Sunringle Black Flag Pro
    Tyres - Kenda Nevegal 2.2 front and Kenda Small Block Eight 2.1 rear
    Tubes - none,running tubeless with Stans
    Total Weight - 12.4kg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paradox Updated for 2012-20130305_102121.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-20130305_101821.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-20130305_101838.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-20130305_102102.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-20130305_101924.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice Dano (though I do think you're a bit of a pansy for running that tiny 30T).

mtbr member
    22 miles today. AM with ups and downs. It's almost perfect but I'm not sure what it's missing. I'm going to start with a dropper seatpost. It feels, for lack of a better word 'big,' but with a short TT. And trying to lean it over in the corners is tough with the saddle in the way.

I was kind of hoping it was my amazing skilz (yes, with a 'z,' I'm that good) that I kicked a** on the hairpins today; but, I was riding against an Anthem. Either way, it's fantastic on drops, flowy hardpack, climbs and nimble enough to dodge the big rocks, or bunny hop over them. LOVE it. Wouldn't have minded a (whispering now) 30T up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    @ Helmet - I think with your V2 Paradox you should very much like what the G2 will bring, the offset goes from 48 to 51mm, which if it was the same length fork would feel probably a bit twitchier, but with the added travel/height it will pretty much just make it feel/handle almost the same to your old Reba. Remember, your HTA was 68* and now with the 140mm it is probably closer to 67*, so you need more offset to help keep the steering lively. Also while the slight increase in BB height might hinder fast, smooth cornering, it' will sure make it more fun in the rough stuff when you can continue to pedal a bit more than before.
    Thanks, man! You're always helping me out!! Really appreciated.
    New fork is in!!! It does look like it is too much travel, but I can barely tell the difference tbh. However, steering is noticeably better. Can do shorter range turns. My pedals were safe from my front tire but still was the risk of hitting the tire... now that is next to the impossible. The bike is now larger, and I am loving it. The bridge of the fork (don't know how's the exact name) has better tire clearance then Reba. Also the dna motion control is lighter, so the bike is. Now weighing 12.38kg with flow rims, chris iso front/hope pro 2 evo hubs and revo spokes, and masterpiece post

Impatiently waiting my wrist is fully recovered to hit the trail again where it has to be done. Hopefully next month, after some "kine"
    Last edited by Helmetless; 03-18-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hi all, greetins from indonesia. gettin a paradox ordered just wonders, how does the manitou tower pro suits the paradox.

your insights are highly appreciated

thanks

mtbr member
    Mr 68 is it a large or medium frame size??

*****in bike btw, really like the overall look

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Manitou Tower Plus 120mm - never tried personally but had heard positive opinions. Some even claim this fork to be the best among 120 mm forks.

mtbr member
    Hey all.
    Mr 68, a dropper post is a Must for this sorta bike. This bike likes to jump and no serious jumper will run there post up as high as there XC climbing position.
    I also made a few changes to my bike aswell.
    I lowered the handle bars with a negative 6 degree stem and flat handlebar. I now feel way more comfortable doing out of the saddle sprints and long climbs.
    Plus changed to a Maxxis Ignitor on the rear from a Kenda small block eight.

MTB B'dos
    Just do a search of threads with pics of Paradox's and I think at least 50% of them have a Manitou on them. I've had my Minute for over 5 years now, started out on another bike, then went to the Paradox where it still resides. Very nice fork, nice dampening, stiff, normally can be found for good prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by metajkt View Post
    hi all, greetins from indonesia. gettin a paradox ordered just wonders, how does the manitou tower pro suits the paradox.

your insights are highly appreciated

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrisuta View Post
    Manitou Tower Plus 120mm - never tried personally but had heard positive opinions. Some even claim this fork to be the best among 120 mm forks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Thank you; it's a large.

I'm 6' 1/2" tall in my riding shoes. 70mm stem and seat set back as far as possible. I wouldn't mind a bit more standover but it's ok (but haven't smashed a ball yet).

An issue I'm having now is which dropper post to get. 150 mm is actually too tall/long for me; so i can only have a 125 MAX; 100 would be safer. Suggestions? I live in the land of fine dust so whatever is best for that is best for me; not counting the Gravity dropper; I don't have space for that remote on my bars.

I've heard good things about the simplicity of the Giant; but I like the LEV remote and have heard excellent things about it's function. But then there's Thomson and I really like the 3 position system of the D.O.S.S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    many thanksss for all the inputs on manitou tower

fan of maple syrup
    Thank you; it's a large.

I'm 6' 1/2" tall in my riding shoes. 70mm stem and seat set back as far as possible. I wouldn't mind a bit more standover but it's ok (but haven't smashed a ball yet).
    Just curiously - we are of similar height, and I was wondering if your saddle position in that picture is as high as you go? As in, is that the "full leg extension at maximum stroke" height? Or have you photographed it in a slightly dropped "need to move around my saddle while navigating this gnarly descent" height?

I ask because I am planning to get one of these frames, and size large seems right in terms of TT length, but your visible seat-tube length looks quite short compared to my current Niner (EMD9), and considering (I think) I have shorter legs, I too am worried about the odd nut-bash. Being in Australia, where it seems Banshee no longer have a distributor, I can't go try one out.

P.S. I have a early generation KS post (the i900r) on my Nomad, and it's stood the test of time extremely well. Indistinguishable amount of play, and functions pretty well considering I've done zero maintenance on it in about 2.5years and use it thoroughly on every ride. It's a little slow to pop out, but I have no doubt a quick clean & grease will have it functioning perfectly (just have to find that details MTBR thread about servicing this particular seatpost).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    Just curiously - we are of similar height, and I was wondering if your saddle position in that picture is as high as you go? As in, is that the "full leg extension at maximum stroke" height? Or have you photographed it in a slightly dropped "need to move around my saddle while navigating this gnarly descent" height?

I ask because I am planning to get one of these frames, and size large seems right in terms of TT length, but your visible seat-tube length looks quite short compared to my current Niner (EMD9), and considering (I think) I have shorter legs, I too am worried about the odd nut-bash. Being in Australia, where it seems Banshee no longer have a distributor, I can't go try one out.

P.S. I have a early generation KS post (the i900r) on my Nomad, and it's stood the test of time extremely well. Indistinguishable amount of play, and functions pretty well considering I've done zero maintenance on it in about 2.5years and use it thoroughly on every ride. It's a little slow to pop out, but I have no doubt a quick clean & grease will have it functioning perfectly (just have to find that details MTBR thread about servicing this particular seatpost).
    If you are talking the large frame and you are 6' or over you will have no trouble with the sizing or the standover. I am just under 6' with shortish legs and ride a large Paradox frame with no problems. For comparison I also ride a large in Niner's (Air9, SIR9 hardtails).

Here is a picture on its first ride.

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

I probably run the seat a bit on the low side. If you are in Brisbane you can have a test ride.

mtbr member
    My seat height is at a slightly low 'trail' setting in the picture. Max leg extension height (i.e. road bike saddle height) would put the bottom of the rails at very close to 160 mm from the top of the seat tube collar.

Thanks for the info on the KS.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this has been covered before, but what has everyone been using as frame protection from cable rub? Seems like standard 3M clear tape would look pretty bad on the matte black finish.

Normally its nothing I worry about but my frame is almost brand new and I'd like to keep it looking that way.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast