Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Day one of build done...need more parts

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_3725.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey Guys

Just got myself a Banshee Paradox V2 frame and I'm in the process of building her up.
    Ive got all the parts except the Fork.
    Im gunna have full XT 10 speed drivetrain with SLX brakes,Sunringle Black flag pro wheelset,fat tyres short stem and wide bars. Plus I might use either a reverb or KS dropper seatpost.
    About the fork im not sure what to get.
    Ive narrowed it down to these three.
    # rockshox Sid RCT3 120mm
    #Fox Float 29 120mm CTD
    #Manitou Tower pro 120mm

All are a 2013 model and have a tappered steerer and a 15mm thru axle.
    Im not concerned about the price Im just after the best matching one for this bike.
    What do you guys think would be best?
    My riding style is more on the aggressive side of XC but Im not a very heavy guy only weigh 160 pounds. I like to pop off all manner of terrain and often hit 2-3 foot drops. This bike will be my "XC' bike.
    I have a 6 inch dually that I use for the more rocky technical stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paradox Updated for 2012-photo1859.jpg  

MTB B'dos
    I'm not cheap, but I don't like paying more than I need to for a product, hence out of those I'd say the Tower (Minute) would be my choice - loads of clearance in the arch, great damepening, much lower price tag than the others. This being said I'd also suggest you check out the X-Fusion stuff, for great bang for your $$. The new TRACE fork comes with 34mm stanchions and a slick ano coating, can be run anywhere from 140mm down to 80mm through internal travel adjust or you can get an external DLA model to do 140/110 and there's even a Uni-Crown version for a bit more $$, which should shave a bit of weight an eliminate any possibility of a squeaky crown/steerer interface. First Look! 2013 X-Fusion Forks, Hilo SL Dropper Post and the 165g Microlite Rear Shock! - Bike Rumor
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoXC View Post
    Hey Guys

Just got myself a Banshee Paradox V2 frame and I'm in the process of building her up.
    Ive got all the parts except the Fork.
    Im gunna have full XT 10 speed drivetrain with SLX brakes,Sunringle Black flag pro wheelset,fat tyres short stem and wide bars. Plus I might use either a reverb or KS dropper seatpost.
    About the fork im not sure what to get.
    Ive narrowed it down to these three.
    # rockshox Sid RCT3 120mm
    #Fox Float 29 120mm CTD
    #Manitou Tower pro 120mm

All are a 2013 model and have a tappered steerer and a 15mm thru axle.
    Im not concerned about the price Im just after the best matching one for this bike.
    What do you guys think would be best?
    My riding style is more on the aggressive side of XC but Im not a very heavy guy only weigh 160 pounds. I like to pop off all manner of terrain and often hit 2-3 foot drops. This bike will be my "XC' bike.
    I have a 6 inch dually that I use for the more rocky technical stuff.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm not cheap, but I don't like paying more than I need to for a product, hence out of those I'd say the Tower (Minute) would be my choice - loads of clearance in the arch, great damepening, much lower price tag than the others. This being said I'd also suggest you check out the X-Fusion stuff, for great bang for your $$. The new TRACE fork comes with 34mm stanchions and a slick ano coating, can be run anywhere from 140mm down to 80mm through internal travel adjust or you can get an external DLA model to do 140/110 and there's even a Uni-Crown version for a bit more $$, which should shave a bit of weight an eliminate any possibility of a squeaky crown/steerer interface. First Look! 2013 X-Fusion Forks, Hilo SL Dropper Post and the 165g Microlite Rear Shock! - Bike Rumor
    Hey LynX

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Yeah, the X-fusion Trace forks were my original choice but my Bike parts supplier informed me that prodution models have been knocked back further. So theres no proper estimated time for release.
    I was steering towards buying the Manitou Tower fork because ive read nothing but glowing reviews on them but they just didnt have the fancy big brand name behind them.
    But at the end of the day its all about the performance on the trail and with the cash I'll save I'll probably get a dropper post.
    Cheers,
    Dan

mtbr member

Waiting (impatiently) for spokes/nipples now

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_3739.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Paradox Updated for 2012

Mr 68 and danon, looks like both of you have some awesome builds going. I got a complete build but just put some bling on it. Check pics from stock to now, pretty happy with how she looks for now but have a couple small ideas. Red zips for cable housing, removing rim stickers....

Danon the tower rocks, im 195lbs use it for racing xc and hit drops up to 4ft so far no problems. Anno red cap might not go with your blue theme tjough...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Mr 68 and danon, looks like both of you have some awesome builds going. I got a complete build but just put some bling on it. Check pics from stock to now, pretty happy with how she looks for now but have a couple small ideas. Red zips for cable housing, removing rim stickers....

Danon the tower rocks, im 195lbs use it for racing xc and hit drops up to 4ft so far no problems. Anno red cap might not go with yout blue theme though....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255004598.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255021017.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255037180.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255052182.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255069389.jpg  

Paradox Updated for 2012-uploadfromtaptalk1360255082428.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nothing wrong with the Manitou Tower 120mm.

Check out my build pictures.

Parodox build tips please - Page 2

I just got a set of wide Blackspire riser bars in PC white. I think I will cut them down the same width as the current Race Face bars which are pretty much the right width.

mtbr member
    Snagged a ver2 Paradox the other day, starting to stockpile parts for the build but really just need a front fork and front wheel that will take a thru axle.
    Looking like it's going to be the same mixed XT/X9 build that I've got on my Access9r, Thomson cockpit, Truvativ boobars. Went really cheap on the Access build to see if I'd dig 29ers so having a nice new frame will no doubt further the upgradeitis.

mtbr member
    Bike looks great Steineken. I see alot of guys running the Tower forks on the Paradox but I think I'll try something different. I'm gunna go with a 2013 Rockshox Sid RCT3 120mm.

mtbr member
    :|

XTR FD-M986-D (direct mount 2X10) rubs bad with 2.35 Nobby Nics. Plenty of frame clearance though.

Any ideas/confirmed 2X10 Shimano FD's that work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    :|

XTR FD-M986-D (direct mount 2X10) rubs bad with 2.35 Nobby Nics. Plenty of frame clearance though.

Any ideas/confirmed 2X10 Shimano FD's that work?
    I think I've posted this picture before. I've got a XT 786 with a Nobby Nic 2.25. I cut the arm for bottom pull fitting of with a Dremel and there is sufficient space. I've never tried a 2.35 on the back. I'd like to but is does look a bit tight. Not so much in the frame but as far as the derailleur spacing is concerned.

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_1580.jpg
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ronnie for the quick response. I just cut the arm off the derailleur and now the center knobs have plenty of space but the side knobs are still hitting the coil spring/spring cover around the lowest pivot. I thought about cutting off/down all the right side knobs but figured there might be a time or two I'd like to turn right.

I definitely want to keep the 2.35's, and I wouldn't mind having space for the new 2.5" Minions for rough trails. 99% sure I'm going to just suck it up and go 1 X 10. I'm bummed about loosing the range I would have gotten with the 26/38, but I think I'll be able to live with a 32T.

Maybe I can give up 2.35's on the Paradox when I get my 6" full squish...
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

MTB B'dos
    I suggest that if you're running an external BB crankset to just add a 2.5mm spacer to the drive side to space the cranks out further and give the FD a bit more room. If you're running a double there's absolutely nothing bad to this as it will actually improve the chainline for the 2X setup, if it's a tripple will have to watch you Big Ring combos for cross chaining.

Also if I'm not mistaken, some of the 2X specific cranksets already have this built it to put the spiders further outboard, think SLX.

The new Direct Mount FD design helps in some ways, but hinders in others. I have the original Paradox and am using an old XT M750 FD and it has decent clearance with the 2.55" WW LT outback, I also do the extra 2.5mm spacer thing as well which adds a bit more.

Thanks Ronnie for the quick response. I just cut the arm off the derailleur and now the center knobs have plenty of space but the side knobs are still hitting the coil spring/spring cover around the lowest pivot. I thought about cutting off/down all the right side knobs but figured there might be a time or two I'd like to turn right.

I definitely want to keep the 2.35's, and I wouldn't mind having space for the new 2.5" Minions for rough trails. 99% sure I'm going to just suck it up and go 1 X 10. I'm bummed about loosing the range I would have gotten with the 26/38, but I think I'll be able to live with a 32T.

Maybe I can give up 2.35's on the Paradox when I get my 6" full squish...
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Wheels? Done.

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_3744.jpg

mtbr member
    I suggest that if you're running an external BB crankset to just add a 2.5mm spacer to the drive side to space the cranks out further and give the FD a bit more room. If you're running a double there's absolutely nothing bad to this as it will actually improve the chainline for the 2X setup, if it's a tripple will have to watch you Big Ring combos for cross chaining.
    Thanks LyNx!

Edit:

~26.5 pounds minus front 180 rotor, rear 160 rotor and a missing chain.
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 02-09-2013 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member

Pucker Day is officially over.

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_3749.jpg

Took 4" off the front brake line, 9" off the rear, final cut on the steerer tube and took 6 cm off my bars. First time doing hydraulic lines and first time cutting carbon; thus the name Pucker Day.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	770477

Took 4" off the front brake line, 9" off the rear, final cut on the steerer tube and took 6 cm off my bars. First time doing hydraulic lines and first time cutting carbon; thus the name Pucker Day.
    We expect proper final pics!!!
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless View Post
    We expect proper final pics!!!
    Will do; hopefully by next week; waiting on saddle and front chainring.

MTB B'dos
    Curious how those carbon bars feel when you get your Prime built. What other bars have you ridden, carbon or alu? I ride the FUNN Fatboy bars on my 2 bikes and find they're super stiff, feel no flex at all, but I did a little ride around on a SJ FSR S-Works and could immediately feel that carbon flex under my paltry 170lbs. Expect the Enve would be a lot stiffer than those SpecialED bars.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	770477

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Thanks danon. The sid will probly save you some weight and the black/ano blue will lool sick on the polished frame. Look forrward to pix

mtbr member
    Curious how those carbon bars feel when you get your Prime built. What other bars have you ridden, carbon or alu? I ride the FUNN Fatboy bars on my 2 bikes and find they're super stiff, feel no flex at all, but I did a little ride around on a SJ FSR S-Works and could immediately feel that carbon flex under my paltry 170lbs. Expect the Enve would be a lot stiffer than those SpecialED bars.
    1) Various aluminum bars from the early 90's and later. No real issues but we didn't know anything then.
    2) Scott thermopastic/carbon CC bars; very strong (I think fatigue cycles was their best feature) but noodle like flex; hated them. Didn't realize what the problem was until I got something stiffer.
    3) Replaced them with a mid-range aluminum AM bar, might have been an Easton product. Seemed fine, especially coming from the noodle bars.
    4) Holzfeller's on my STP. These bars I do like and would have been more than happy to put them on this bike but kind of got the ENVE carbon buzz and their bars is what I could afford. I too am looking forward to comparing the ENVEs to the Truvativs. When I bought the ENVEs, I basically assumed they're strong and stiff because Santa Cruz races with them. We'll see.

Steve

Edit: Ok, so when you live in BFE, it takes the better part of 2 weeks to get stuff from England; even when paying for DHL delivery. "5 minutes Turkish..."
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 02-15-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: I live a million miles from no where

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steineken View Post
    Thanks danon. The sid will probly save you some weight and the black/ano blue will lool sick on the polished frame. Look forrward to pix

No worries mate.
    But Ive changed my mind and bought a different fork. I got a really good deal on a 2012 Marzocchi 44 Micro TI 120mm fork. Im instaling them tomorrow. Will post up pics once complete.
    So ive actaully bought the heaviest 29er fork of the lot. Lol, I hope its plush atleast.

mtbr member

Commence reactor powerup...

...so I can do a proper shakedown run. Need the snow (trail snow, not driveway snow) gone first though :| Anyway, all the parts are installed and it's ready to go; maybe a little tweaking of the chainline left so I might be ordering some longer chainring bolts, but I don't think so. Possibly will be fabricating a chain guide; depends on how well Shimano's clutch works.

I've only ridden it for a couple of blocks and it seems OK; nothing bad or weird. I've been riding an STP for a couple of years and it seems very similar; just with the big wheel feel and a not-so-cramped cockpit.

Especially happy about finding the saddle. Couldn't find it anywhere and it appeared to be simply unavailable. Bel-Air with titanium rails in brown straight from CRC along with the Hope IBR (or was it PBR; can't remember). B*tchin'.

Paradox Updated for 2012-img_3795.jpg

On a side note, I don't know if there's going to be space to run the new Maxxis 2.5" DHF's. Chainstays and seatstays have room but I'm literally 2.2 mm from hitting the seat tube/direct mount with 2.35" NN's. If I hadn't just set them up tubeless, I'd throw the HD on the back to check clearances.

27 pounds even (+ .1 pounds)
    Last edited by Mr. 68 Hundred; 02-22-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added weight
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Nice bike up there!!! that saddle is really cool. Matches with kashima coat pretty well
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast