Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know I know... I once called a Talas my own and did not use the height switch very often. Thing is, I could get a brand new Dual Air Revelation (140mm) for ~ 399 € which s quite a steal. But I'm too worried about the DPA system. The more mechanics at the bike, the more errorprone those things are...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Two more questions:

1) I assume 140mm is the maximum of travel that's okay with the frame (regarding guarantee)?
    2) Headset, lower cup: Anything that has written EC49 on it will work with the frame, correct (external cup, 49 mm diameter for HT fitting)?

MTB B'dos
    Just thought I'd throw this up there and update the thread and get it going again. Just got in a few of the new WTB Asym rims, i35 650B to build for 650B+ wheels and some i29s for my normal trail wheels for tyres <2.4"

As it sits now, my XL Paradox with F34 @ 140mm, WTB Asym i35 with WTB Trailblazer 2.8"/ WTB Asym i29 29er with Chunky Monkey 2.4" 29er front, measured rough HTA in Pshop, 65 degrees unsagged - LOVE it. Actually would love to find a bigger volume 29er that weighs under 900g, right now borrowing the On One Chunky Monkey from my Phantom.

I think the i35 size is well suited for PLUS sized and for normal tyres <2.5", the i29 is great giving just enough casing and sidewall support, while still letting the tyre provide protection for the rims.

Paradox Updated for 2012-dscn3584_rotated.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

On wuss patrol
    Hey LyNx. What is the actual mounted width of the 2.8s on those rims? I have a friend who built a converted Yelli with the same wheels and tires but I'm still intrigued by this conversion with my Paradox.

I have a Fox F29 fork which has more bridge clearance than a Rockshox fork so also wondering if I can keep the current fork for the convert or need a b+ specific fork?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

MTB B'dos
    Calipers have gone missing right now, but as soon as I find them I will report back. Measurement on Stans Flows was about 2.5"/64mm. I'm seeing enough room in the chainstays to order a TrailBoss 3.0" to give it a go and try to add some more cush - right now feels a bit nicer than the 2.4" Ardent on Dually45, but for the volume you gain, you also loose a bit of the overall circumference, so one somewhat cancels out the other. Would love if WTB made these in 29" or the TrailBoss 3.0".

As to the fork, once it's a 29er there's no trouble running the 650B+ tyres, loads of room in the arch, should be able to manage up to a 3.5". When I get the front 650B i35 built and B+ tyre mounted I will post up pics and measurements on the different 29er forks I own, one of which is an F32.

Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Hey LyNx. What is the actual mounted width of the 2.8s on those rims? I have a friend who built a converted Yelli with the same wheels and tires but I'm still intrigued by this conversion with my Paradox.

I have a Fox F29 fork which has more bridge clearance than a Rockshox fork so also wondering if I can keep the current fork for the convert or need a b+ specific fork?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

MTB B'dos
    So, Trailboss 3.0" arrived, mounted up real easy, had first ride today, really digging the 650B+ F&R. Although definitely about 3/8-1/2" shorter than a good 29"x2.4",I can't say I noticed or wanted for the 29er roll over today riding on the sea rocks, 650B+ worked well.

Paradox Updated for 2012-dscn3681_crop.jpg

Life's rough down here in the Caribbean
    Paradox Updated for 2012-dscn3691.jpg

Did manage to find the calipers, but forgot to measure and now put away "safe" again, so when I find them again will measure both. Can say that the Trailboss is very tight in the width dept on the F34, about an 1/8" where knobs are to fork, loads of clearance up top.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Life's rough down here in the Caribbean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3691.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	1050754
    I feel for you, LyNx, looks horrible. Poor guy.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding this frame as a SS?
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I seriously considered it. How badass would a 140mm Pike AM hardtail SS be?

But I am fat and eat too much ice cream.

So I built a Phantom instead.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    I had mine as a SS for 8-10 months a few years back. IIRC it was 32/20 or 32/21 geared, using the idler pulley and backplate from an EThirteen LG1 guide to tension the chain behind the BB. It was fun for a time but then I put the 1x10 group back on it for longer/faster/steeper rides.

mtbr member
    So I converted it tonight. It doesn't seem like it will be a huge deal to get used to currently 30t/18t. I ordered a 19t which would get my chain perfect with a 30t in front and no tensioner. Hoping this thing is about perfect for the local flow trails. I rode it last season with a 11/28 cassette in back and ended up breaking the mid carrier group.

mtbr member
    This poor bike see's more changes. Blew up my shoulder about a month ago and tossed a 700x35c tire on the back and stuffed it in a trainer. I'm riding trails now but likely keep using it in the trainer for winter.

Anyone still running a 2x front? I'm tossing a 2x spider on and need to know what derailuer works with this frame. Or maybe I'll just leave it off and only use the 42 on the trainer since this will ponly be for winter.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, sort of, depending on if I'm running normal 29ers (hardly ever) or 650B+. If you're going to be buying new,buy one of the new Shimano Side Swing FDs, nothing goes behind the ST, cable feeds down the DT, you want the DIRECT MOUNT version XT M8020 or XTR M9020. I Keep a 2X ring setup on at all times, just if running the B+ setup don't use the FD and just drop the chain manually to the small ring if I really need it, but most just run the 32t.
    Shimano XT FD-M8020 2X11 FRNT Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Mountain Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA

This poor bike see's more changes. Blew up my shoulder about a month ago and tossed a 700x35c tire on the back and stuffed it in a trainer. I'm riding trails now but likely keep using it in the trainer for winter.

Anyone still running a 2x front? I'm tossing a 2x spider on and need to know what derailuer works with this frame. Or maybe I'll just leave it off and only use the 42 on the trainer since this will ponly be for winter.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I have a 30t on it now, putting a 28/42 on for winter. Even a 36t is pretty easy for use on a trainer. Only planning on using this for winter, I think I'll just leave the derailleur off and shift it manually.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415