Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    built,

Interested to see a pic looking down through the chain stay at the tire clearance. Also, what fork are you using?
    Paradox Updated for 2012-imag0288.jpg

Didn't have a 650b+ fork on this bike (ran 29er up front)... just set up to check rear tire clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paradox Updated for 2012-imag0288.jpg  

Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

On wuss patrol
    Looks like some B+ rims and tires may be my next bike.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

MTB B'dos
    Problem is that there aren't any 650B+ tyres available right now and it's looking like they're still a good ways away. I'm trying to get a hold of some to give a go on my Paradoxes to see about making a Medium into a Medium/Small for shorter riders as standover is a bit high on the Mediums for anyone <5'6", most especially if you're not an advanced rider. Did a mock up with some GOMAs and BB dropped a bit too much to about 11.25", so hoping with the 650B+ tyres that the BB would be more around 11.75" with maybe a slight increase to the travel of the Velvet from 120mm to 130mm, yet still give a standover somewhere around 28.75-29".

Looks like some B+ rims and tires may be my next bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My new Bike.

★Frame: Banshee Paradox V2 medium
    ★Fork: Rock Shox RS1 120mm
    ★Wheels: made by WhizzWheels
    ★Hubs: VR - DT Swiss 240s / HR - DT Swiss 240s ThrueBolt
    ★Rims: DT Swiss XM 401
    ★Axles: VR - DT RWS 15mm/ HR - DT RWS Axle 10mm
    ★Shifting: Sram XX1
    ★Cassette: Sram XX1
    ★Cranks: Sram XX1 32T
    ★Bottom Braket: Sram GXP Ceramic black
    ★Pedals: CrankBrothers Mallet DH
    ★Headset: Reset Konan/FlatStack
    ★Brakes: Trickstuff The Cleg4 Mk2+Goodridge Steelflex
    ★Rotors: Saint 203/180
    ★Bolts: all in Titanium (Brake, Rotors, Stem)
    ★Bar: Easton Haven Carbon
    ★Stem: Syntace Megaforce2 60mm
    ★Grips: Specialized Enduro
    ★Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb
    ★Seatclamp: Hope Dropper Clamp
    ★Saddle: SQ-lab 611
    ★Tires: Maxxis HighRoller 2 EXO 3C 2.3/Maxxis Minion DHR EXO 2.3 tubeless

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by unsolizited View Post
    My new Bike.

Erstaunlich! (I liked your description better before translation)

Wow! That has to be the benchmark for high end Paradoxes in this thread. Very sweet bike.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    That fork cost double what my entire build did including the frame.

Sick bike though I'd rock it!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a paradox v1 singlespeed and I want to mount the fork surly krampus with rabbit hole and knard ...

what do you think of the paradox 29+ only rigid front?

has anyone tried? experiences?

Hola

MTB B'dos
    I don't think I'd like it, would bring the HTA back a couple degrees closer to 71*. I tried a normal KM fork on my V1 Paradox, but not with a 29+ setup and it was too "Old School" geo for me, lost that confidence the Paradox instills on the descents, but if you like more "XC" angles, then maybe - I ride my Monkey rigid with a 29+ front and have fun, but don't descend as I would on a bike with a slacker HTA.

Quote Originally Posted by paisą View Post
    I have a paradox v1 singlespeed and I want to mount the fork surly krampus with rabbit hole and knard ...

what do you think of the paradox 29+ only rigid front?

has anyone tried? experiences?

Hola
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I don't think I'd like it, would bring the HTA back a couple degrees closer to 71*. I tried a normal KM fork on my V1 Paradox, but not with a 29+ setup and it was too "Old School" geo for me, lost that confidence the Paradox instills on the descents, but if you like more "XC" angles, then maybe - I ride my Monkey rigid with a 29+ front and have fun, but don't descend as I would on a bike with a slacker HTA.
    I thought that the steering angle was no longer suffering of so many changes, I did this reasoning:

paradox geo fork with 120 mm unsagged =axle to crown 530, 506 mm with 20% sag

fork krampus = 483 + greater radius of the wheel 29+ (778-740) / 2 = 19 ... 483 + 19 = 502mm

I might as well put a headset with + 5mm on the bottom

something wrong?

what do you think?

sorry my english by google translator

MTB B'dos
    Not sure where you're getting your data from, but the two 29+ tyres I have, at most are 12-15mm taller/diameter than my biggest 2.4" 29er tyre, no where even remotely near 19mm taller - my rollout for the 29+ (which actually only measure 2.85") is 2355 and for the 2.4" is 2280. So ithe frot would raise from 6-7.5mm, 1/2 of the total diameter increase. You really shouldn't believe the BS the industry markets and puts on their tyres.

Also I now run a V2 Paradox which I much prefer (all the changes I had said that I would like when I had my V1 were done to the V2) and I run it with a 140mm fork, and sometimes a 29+ tyre, so yeah I like a slacker bike, especially a HT.

Quote Originally Posted by paisą View Post
    I thought that the steering angle was no longer suffering of so many changes, I did this reasoning:

paradox geo fork with 120 mm unsagged =axle to crown 530, 506 mm with 20% sag
    fork krampus = 483 + greater radius of the wheel 29+ (778-740) / 2 = 19 ... 483 + 19 = 502mm
    I might as well put a headset with + 5mm on the bottom
    something wrong?

what do you think?

sorry my english by google translator
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I'd be interested to know what you through of the 650+ vs 29er on a variety of terrain.

This is a photo of a 650x3.0 maxxis:
    Attachment 967744Attachment 967745
    Nice! What make/model of rim is shown in the pic? Internal width info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Dammit if this bike hasn't made my Rune collect dust! Tossed a XO crank, Chomag direct mount and converted it to 10spd with a short cage type 2 Sram setup. Half tempted to steal the Enve bars and LEV-ti off my Rune yet for it

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok guys. So I had a paradox which I sold to get a spitfire. Now Im missing my paradox so I have ordered another frame. However I need to work out which forks to run. Its gotta be pikes. But do I run 140mm or 120mm? What benefits do I get from running 140 compared to 120? Does it change the geo to much? I had 120mm fox 32 floats before. Looking to make it a beefed up build this time around.

On wuss patrol
    I'd think with a 140, the front would get too light for climbing. After several months on mine with a 120, I am at the loop out limit a lot when climbing steeper, technical stuff where I'm having to lift the front a bit to make a step up. JMO and experience.

This frame seems ideal with 120, a great all-rounder. Climbs okay, is still very playful, and can rip pretty nicely on the downs.

mtbr member
    I have a 140 on mine and love it.

Abby Normal
    I have a RS Revelation on mine w/ travel adjust (110mm and 140mm), been very happy with it. The extra travel is most welcome on rocky descents (although the front end can write checks the rear can't cash).

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I have a 140 on mine and love it.
    Easy to love that kind of travel. With the type of terrain I ride and the fact that this bike serves as my XC ride/race bike, I prefer the front a little lower, that's all. Plus, I'm tall, keep the seat fairly high, and so COG is high and rear biased.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where I can get derailuer hanger replacements online? I bent one and have one to put on but I'd like to grab some more.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where I can get derailuer hanger replacements online? I bent one and have one to put on but I'd like to grab some more.
    Derailleur Hanger #98
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

On wuss patrol
    Bike Bling has them for $17.99 plus $6 for shipping. I just ordered one cuz my spare went on the bike from a spill this last weekend. I know they're not the billet type but honestly, if I lay the bike down hard enough to bend stuff, I want it to be the hanger and not the frame tab itself or the rd.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ill go a 140mm fork I can always order the new air spring and drop it down to 120mm if I dont like it. Now I need to workout Carbon wheels or not. I run Carbon on my other bikes. I love how stiff they are and how little flex they have. However I think the might be a negative on a paradox with our stiff they already are. Anyone have any thoughts?

MTB B'dos
    Not sure how tall Glide is, but I'm 6'2.25" with a 35.25" inseam and I've tried 120mm, 130mm and 140mm on my XL Paradox and love the handling with the 140mm over running it stok with the 120mm, 130mm is OK.
    Now it's not that I want the extra travel, no, it's the slacker HTA that it gives that I love, brings it more inline with the angles on my Phantom when sagged. Also note I tend to run the fork a lot stiffer on a HT than I do on an FS, since I don't want the fork diving through all it's travel easily and changing the HTA by up to nearly 5 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.swattridge View Post
    Ok guys. So I had a paradox which I sold to get a spitfire. Now Im missing my paradox so I have ordered another frame. However I need to work out which forks to run. Its gotta be pikes. But do I run 140mm or 120mm? What benefits do I get from running 140 compared to 120? Does it change the geo to much? I had 120mm fox 32 floats before. Looking to make it a beefed up build this time around.
    You can also get the hanger from CRC North Shore Billet Derailleur Hanger - KHS - Banshee | Chain Reaction Cycles
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Not sure how tall Glide is, but I'm 6'2.25" with a 35.25" inseam and I've tried 120mm, 130mm and 140mm on my XL Paradox and love the handling with the 140mm over running it stok with the 120mm, 130mm is OK.
    Now it's not that I want the extra travel, no, it's the slacker HTA that it gives that I love, brings it more inline with the angles on my Phantom when sagged. Also note I tend to run the fork a lot stiffer on a HT than I do on an FS, since I don't want the fork diving through all it's travel easily and changing the HTA by up to nearly 5 degrees.

You can also get the hanger from CRC North Shore Billet Derailleur Hanger - KHS - Banshee | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Does it really change the headangle by 5 degrees. Or is it 0.5 degrees

MTB B'dos
    Read CAREFULLY - I said I don't want the fork diving through ALL of its travel easily, i.e if it's a 140mm/5.5" then each inch is equal to just under 1 degree of change in HTA, so a total change in HTA of about 5 degrees..

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.swattridge View Post
    Does it really change the headangle by 5 degrees. Or is it 0.5 degrees
    Now going from 120mm to 140mm as I said changes the HTA by just under 1 degree.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

On wuss patrol
    6' 7.5"

For me, that 1 degree less for climbing works. Also, it closely matches the HTA of my Stumpy FSR 29. 'Sides, it's a fork I already had sitting around.

MTB B'dos
    Oh yeah, you got some height on me, bet your weight is about right over the rear axle, can imagine how your COG would shift with that and you prefer the 120mm setup. I actually even ran a 29+ tyre with the 140mm fork and liked it
    6' 7.5"

For me, that 1 degree less for climbing works. Also, it closely matches the HTA of my Stumpy FSR 29. 'Sides, it's a fork I already had sitting around.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Bike Bling has them for $17.99 plus $6 for shipping. I just ordered one cuz my spare went on the bike from a spill this last weekend. I know they're not the billet type but honestly, if I lay the bike down hard enough to bend stuff, I want it to be the hanger and not the frame tab itself or the rd.
    I ordered 2 and a set of brake pads I needed for free shipping. The picture shows a North shore billet hanger.

On wuss patrol
    I ordered 2 and a set of brake pads I needed for free shipping. The picture shows a North shore billet hanger.
    I think it's the same hanger for the Rune so now you have a spare for both bikes.

MTB B'dos
    But does he still actually ride the Rune except for those shuttle type days? LOL

I think it's the same hanger for the Rune so now you have a spare for both bikes
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I actually even ran a 29+ tyre with the 140mm fork and liked it
    All this plus size talk is making me interested to grab a few plus tires for a summer setup. Lace up a 27.5+ for the rear and run a 29+ on the front.

MTB B'dos
    Well, I've got a WTB TrailBlazer on it's way to try out, so will def let you know how it goes. Think further up in this thread the guys from Banshee might have posted some pics when they test fit some Maxxis 650B+ rubber into a Paradox frame.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    All this plus size talk is making me interested to grab a few plus tires for a summer setup. Lace up a 27.5+ for the rear and run a 29+ on the front.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I think it's the same hanger for the Rune so now you have a spare for both bikes.
    Its not, the Rune V2 is a lot different. I have a pile of those though.

But does he still actually ride the Rune except for those shuttle type days? LOL
    I rode it last week for the first time in a long time only cause the rear wheel from the Paradox was getting new drive side spokes in it. I was wishing I had the Paradox majority of the time. You pretty much nailed it that the only time its going out is for shuttle days.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Its not, the Rune V2 is a lot different. I have a pile of those though.
    Hm I have to look it up but I think the 135x10mm dropouts still use the "old" hanger design...

mtbr member
    Yeah mine is 12x142

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Just beginning my Paradox 2014 build (Large Raw frame) - started off by sorting a thru axle for the rear. Halo Supa Drive Hub 135x12, with custom step down axle machined from a 142x12 Banshee axle. Works great!

Paradox Updated for 2012-2015-05-30-13.35.55.jpg
    Paradox Updated for 2012-2015-05-30-13.36.23.jpg

The rest of the build is along the lines of SRAM X1, Guide R Brakes, Raceface Next SL Bars (35mm) and Cranks, Raceface Turbine 35 Stem, Halo Vapour Wheels, Pike 140mm, TYres TBC.

Will post pics once done by next friday!
    Gloworm Website

'...it's more fun with the lites on!'

mtbr member
    That's pretty slick but FYI I broke 2 of those axles in my Rune. Keeping a back up handy might not be a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Has anyone drilled their seat tube for stealth dropper post routing yet? Kind of on the fence whether to go this route or not.

On wuss patrol
    Has anyone drilled their seat tube for stealth dropper post routing yet? Kind of on the fence whether to go this route or not.
    I wouldn't do it if I had a frame still under warranty. If yours is out of warranty, and you want to try it, it's a risk that the frame may crack at the drilled location.

MTB B'dos
    I'd tend to agree with DT, that axle is already hollow, not sure I would trus it stepped down like that, better to either look for a steel stepped down axle OR consider just machining out the drop outs that extra 2mm
    That's pretty slick but FYI I broke 2 of those axles in my Rune. Keeping a back up handy might not be a bad idea.
    I haven't, but I had asked about adding a second set bolt holes for another bottle and when I asked they didn't have a problem with it. Still though, best place to ask would be Banshee directly.

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I'd tend to agree with DT, that axle is already hollow, not sure I would trus it stepped down like that, better to either look for a steel stepped down axle OR consider just machining out the drop outs that extra 2mm
    I'd bet a SUNringlé 135mm. Rear Conversion Axle would work. It's a 12mm. axle which is 135mm. wide with 10mm. stepdown ends. It can be bolted on or can be used with a QR skewer. I've used one for years and never a problem.

135mm Rear Conversion Axle | SUNringlé
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

MTB B'dos
    I actually have a Nukeproof axle just like that, heavy though. Nukeproof Conversion Kit QR Rear | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I'd bet a SUNringlé 135mm. Rear Conversion Axle would work. It's a 12mm. axle which is 135mm. wide with 10mm. stepdown ends. It can be bolted on or can be used with a QR skewer. I've used one for years and never a problem.

135mm Rear Conversion Axle | SUNringlé
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone riding the Paradox with a Rock Shox Sektor Gold Solo Air or a Reba? Currently thinking about the fork I want to use... Also, the general consensus here seems to be that 140mm forks are better suited for the frame than 120mm forks?

MTB B'dos
    Can't help you with either of those forks, only ride 34mm stanchions, well except for the Velvet RL2 on my Trance and that fork is the stiffest 32mm stanchion fork I've encountered As to travel length, really all depends on your local trails and personal preference, that being said, yes, love mine with a 140mm fork, just feels right for me. I put it down to getting accustomed to the 68* or so HTA on my FS bikes and so with the Paradox starting out at 68*, but then taking the fork SAG into account it steepens back up, so going to 140mm puts it back to about 68*.

Quote Originally Posted by MindPatterns View Post
    Anyone riding the Paradox with a Rock Shox Sektor Gold Solo Air or a Reba? Currently thinking about the fork I want to use... Also, the general consensus here seems to be that 140mm forks are better suited for the frame than 120mm forks?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The paradox will be build up as a tour/xc bike only, however, I don't mind riding 140 mm, although I usually tend do ride my forks really stiff. What I don't want is to ruin the geometry since the bike was built around a 120mm fork (source: Banshee website).

Can't help you with either of those forks, only ride 34mm stanchions, well except for the Velvet RL2 on my Trance and that fork is the stiffest 32mm stanchion fork I've encountered As to travel length, really all depends on your local trails and personal preference, that being said, yes, love mine with a 140mm fork, just feels right for me. I put it down to getting accustomed to the 68* or so HTA on my FS bikes and so with the Paradox starting out at 68*, but then taking the fork SAG into account it steepens back up, so going to 140mm puts it back to about 68*.

MTB B'dos
    Well, that's all I really do on mine and love how it handles, but as I said, my FS are all <68*. Highly suggest unless you already have the 2 forks you mentioned that you take a look at a fork that is easily internally adjustable for the travel. I also run my fork on HTs stiffer than on FS as I just want it to take the edge off and not dive through all it's travel and experience the writing cheques outfront that the back can't handle

Yes the frame was designed around a 120mm fork and yes the V1 had a HTA of 69* and I was one who thought it needed to be slacker and it would be perfect, but when I got my V2 I tried it with 120mm and then gave 140mm a go and loved it more, as I said, just accustomed to slacker geo now is all.

Quote Originally Posted by MindPatterns View Post
    The paradox will be build up as a tour/xc bike only, however, I don't mind riding 140 mm, although I usually tend do ride my forks really stiff. What I don't want is to ruin the geometry since the bike was built around a 120mm fork (source: Banshee website).
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I have a 140mm Bomber44 micro ti on my Paradox and think it feels great. My other bike had a 65HTA so with the 140 I feel fine. I built it at first with a 100mm fork and it fell very XC, moving to the 140 made it come alive IMHO.

live long and huck
    Liked mine with a 120mm Fox Talas, switched to a 140mm Pike an have been in sexual bliss every since.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Haha!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I might go with a 130mm Revelation then. Best of both worlds, hopefully! Anyone has any idea if the Dual Air forks of Rock Shox are worth their money?

live long and huck
    When I had my Talas I changed the height maybe once or twice then never bothered again, even though it was on the fly simple. Paradox will climb just fine with 130mm.
    Low and slack.