mtbr member

Paradox tire clearance and chain dropping ?

Hey all,
    I'm trying to figure out why my chain drops from my big ring to my small ring when hitting rough sections, rock gardens, etc.

I have the chain set up pretty tight. Derailleur limit screws are where they should be.

I have a 2.35" rear tire on my Paradox (it is so close to the chain)

All I can figure is as the chain is bouncing around, it is grabbed by the rotating tire and pulled off the big ring .

????

thanks.

Prime
    I've run a 2.3 Eskar and a 2.2 Purgatory, never have dropped a chain, no chain guide used.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What about the rear derailleur "B" screw?

MTB B'dos
    Assuming this is a V1 frame if a 2.35" is close. Only legit thing I can think of is your lower limit screw on the FD needs tweaking a bit and/or your FD angle needs slightly adjusting. One trick you can use to help get a bit of clearance is to run 2 spacers on the drive side pushing the chainline out just a smidge - assuming you're running outboard bearings.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Assuming this is a V1 frame if a 2.35" is close. Only legit thing I can think of is your lower limit screw on the FD needs tweaking a bit and/or your FD angle needs slightly adjusting. One trick you can use to help get a bit of clearance is to run 2 spacers on the drive side pushing the chainline out just a smidge - assuming you're running outboard bearings.
    LyNx, Good idea. Yes, ver. 1 frame. I'll add another BB spacer and put a spacer behind the cassette too (removing 8th gear cog) Pretty sure this is the solution cause I often hear the chain hitting my sidewall. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

MTB B'dos
    I never had much of an issue I think because I have been running a Hope Pro2 SS/Trials hub and 6/7 cogs on it for the last 4 years, so my granny cog is actually about either in the position the 3rd or 4th biggest cog would be, which is a major help in keeping the chain away from the tyre, although it still was pretty close if mud got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    LyNx, Good idea. Yes, ver. 1 frame. I'll add another BB spacer and put a spacer behind the cassette too (removing 8th gear cog) Pretty sure this is the solution cause I often hear the chain hitting my sidewall. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics